Prospect Info: 2014/15 OKC Barons Thread 2: Gerry Fleming Named Head Coach of the Condors

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really no need.. Khaira proved his worth in AHL playoffs.. Yak2 and Drai dont need sheltering in AHL. Maybe add a checking veteran C but there really isnt a big need.

I think it's worth bringing a vet or two in as i could see a few moves with AHL players this year. None of these guys are really PC guys, like the NHL roster he is going to be putting some of his guys in there. Then you also have the fact that we probably look at upgrading the NHL team this year, could be done at the expense of AHL prospects.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Did I hear it correctly that teams will play different amount of games based on conference?

That's pretty bush league.

It's a joke, really. The AHL was so determined to head west that they have really bent over backwards for this new pacific division. Should be same number of games across the board, and if the California teams are that insistent on playing fewer games they should deal with the consequence of being at a disadvantage to get into postseason. It's not right to allow teams to play fewer games and base it off of point percentage, instead of points. If SJ, STK, Baco, and SD get to play 8 fewer games then it should have given San Antonio and Texas essentially a 16 point lead in the division from the get go.

It makes you wonder, the AHL ringers on ahl only deals should all be more attracted to the California teams now. Make the same amount of money playing fewer games, seems it would me of more intrigue for an older vet.

Playing 8 fewer games in a season and it being based off point % gives CA teams unfair advantage. Less wear and tear on body going into playoffs , more nights sleeping in your own bed, increased practice/gym time etc. Abbotsford B.C. And St. John's NFL played the same number as the rest of the league in recent years despite them being geographically isolated, don't know why they don't hold the same standard. AHL lost a lot of credibility with this move imo, I expect it from SPHL or FHL but not something this Bush league in AAA hockey.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Guessing the roster

Anton Slepyshev - Leon Draisaitl - Iiro Pakarinen
Ryan Hamilton - Bogdan Yakimov - Andrew Miller
Jujhar Khaira - Kyle Platzer - Tyler Pitlick
Mitch Moroz - Greg Chase - Matthew Ford

Kale Kessy, Alexis Loiseau, Connor Rankin, Braden Christoffer, Josh Winquist in the ECHL

Darnell Nurse - Griffin Reinhart
Brad Hunt - Brandon Davidson
Dillon Simpson - David Musil

Jordan Oesterle, Joey LaLeggia, Martin Gernat, Ben Betker in ECHL

Laurent Brossoit
Eetu Laurikainen

Ty Rimmer in ECHL

I feel horrible for OKC fans if this is the starting roster. They've seen great teams in the past, but this one is going to be scary and of course the team up and leaves before the OKC faithful could see it.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
I feel horrible for OKC fans if this is the starting roster. They've seen great teams in the past, but this one is going to be scary and of course the team up and leaves before the OKC faithful could see it.

The big thing that Bako is poised to have that OKC hasn't had in awhile is a very deep forward group who all can produce offensively. However, from an OKC fan, don't feel bad for us. We did get to see that pretty talented group in 2012 in OKC. You know, the lockout year. :thumbu:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The big thing that Bako is poised to have that OKC hasn't had in awhile is a very deep forward group who all can produce offensively. However, from an OKC fan, don't feel bad for us. We did get to see that pretty talented group in 2012 in OKC. You know, the lockout year. :thumbu:

Haha, that is true. I do hope you stay on and cheer for Bakersfield. These are your players as much as they are ours up in Edmonton.

McDeathbyCheerios*

My take on the roster based off Chia

Iiro Pakarainen - Leon Draisaitl - Tyler Pitlick
Ryan Hamilton - Bogdan Yakimov - Slepyshev
Jujhar Khaira - Kyle Platzer - Andrew Miller
Mitch Moroz - Greg Chase - Matthew Ford

Darnell Nurse - Griffin Reinhart
Brad Hunt - Brandon Davidson
Joey Laleggia- David Musil
Oesterle /Simpson

Laurent Brossoit
Eetu Laurikainen

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Haha, that is true. I do hope you stay on and cheer for Bakersfield. These are your players as much as they are ours up in Edmonton.

I will definitely still root them, and the Oilers on. Already planning a Texas road trip to see the condors when they are in Austin/San Antonio. I will continue my hockey streams account and watch most of their games. Well, what I can of them. I work graveyard shift so the 9-930 p.m. Oklahoma time face offs will make it unlikely that I get to watch them in their entirety.

With a roster that stacked I imagine familiar faces from OKC will also be in Norfolk, so will have to make the 90 minute drive to see the Norfolk admirals play in Tulsa if they do make a visit.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's a joke, really. The AHL was so determined to head west that they have really bent over backwards for this new pacific division. Should be same number of games across the board, and if the California teams are that insistent on playing fewer games they should deal with the consequence of being at a disadvantage to get into postseason. It's not right to allow teams to play fewer games and base it off of point percentage, instead of points. If SJ, STK, Baco, and SD get to play 8 fewer games then it should have given San Antonio and Texas essentially a 16 point lead in the division from the get go.

It makes you wonder, the AHL ringers on ahl only deals should all be more attracted to the California teams now. Make the same amount of money playing fewer games, seems it would me of more intrigue for an older vet.

Playing 8 fewer games in a season and it being based off point % gives CA teams unfair advantage. Less wear and tear on body going into playoffs , more nights sleeping in your own bed, increased practice/gym time etc. Abbotsford B.C. And St. John's NFL played the same number as the rest of the league in recent years despite them being geographically isolated, don't know why they don't hold the same standard. AHL lost a lot of credibility with this move imo, I expect it from SPHL or FHL but not something this Bush league in AAA hockey.

To me I always thought that the AHL tried to define themselves as a legit league and not just a development league, but with a move like this it makes them look exactly like a development first league

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
I will definitely still root them, and the Oilers on. Already planning a Texas road trip to see the condors when they are in Austin/San Antonio. I will continue my hockey streams account and watch most of their games. Well, what I can of them. I work graveyard shift so the 9-930 p.m. Oklahoma time face offs will make it unlikely that I get to watch them in their entirety.

With a roster that stacked I imagine familiar faces from OKC will also be in Norfolk, so will have to make the 90 minute drive to see the Norfolk admirals play in Tulsa if they do make a visit.

Two of us Bako fans do a hockey trip every year. Last year Bako hockey was so awful that we chose instead to go to OKC. This year we are doing a Texas trip.

I feel bad that OKC lost hockey completely. We here had hoped that you would at least get ECHL hockey. Bako on the other hand has had a great fan base watching crappy hockey for most of the 17 year franchise history. Now we feel that we are finally get to see competitive hockey.

Baronsfan

Nov 10, 2010
Two of us Bako fans do a hockey trip every year. Last year Bako hockey was so awful that we chose instead to go to OKC. This year we are doing a Texas trip.

I feel bad that OKC lost hockey completely. We here had hoped that you would at least get ECHL hockey. Bako on the other hand has had a great fan base watching crappy hockey for most of the 17 year franchise history. Now we feel that we are finally get to see competitive hockey.

OKC will likely only be dark this season, next season it seems probable that we get an ECHL team, which is honestly a better fit with more regional rivals, including Tulsa/Wichita/Rapid City/Colorado Eagles from our CHL days. Here is an article suggesting that while it's not a done deal, 2016-2017 looks like a good bet we will see the reincarnation of the Blazers.
http://m.newsok.com/former-oklahoma...bring-hockey-back-to-the-city/article/5425798

The biggest mistake was probably the fact that the Barons sort of ignored the Blazers past here. Whether it was the Oilers, or Funk, who adopted the new name instead of continuing the iconic Blazers name in OKC. Much like your fans attachment to Condors, is how OKC people view the blazer brand. It's always been said that OKC isn't much of a hockey town but a Blazers town. I would say that's true, since the Blazers were the most successful team in minor league hockey, but they move away from that and all of a sudden only about 40% of the fans show back up.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I wonder if they look to add a veteran C to the roster?

Draisaitl, Yakimov, Chase, Platzer, and Khaira is a very young group. Two pro rookies, two sophomores, and Leon with 1/2 an NHL season (and likely less than half an AHL season this year).

:handclap:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Several Condors AHL contracted players showed very well at the tournament. Christoffer, Winquist, etc. Anyone else stand out?

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Bouchard was crap. In both the second and third games we came out flat and relied on goal tending to save us which it did. Both Goal tenders were good. Defense seemed rough around the edges. I was surprised that the rookies played so well and did not rely on the big 3 to win or force OT in the games.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Oilers assigned several players to the Condors.

Ben Betker (Bakersfield – AHL)
Alexis Loiseau (Bakersfield – AHL)
Connor Rankin (Bakersfield – AHL)
Ty Rimmer (Bakersfield – AHL)
Marco Roy (Bakersfield – AHL)

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Oilers assigned several players to the Condors.

Ben Betker (Bakersfield – AHL)
Alexis Loiseau (Bakersfield – AHL)
Connor Rankin (Bakersfield – AHL)
Ty Rimmer (Bakersfield – AHL)
Marco Roy (Bakersfield – AHL)

These are likely all ECHL guys going to Norfolk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad