Prospect Info: 2014/15 Marlies/Prospects Thread v.4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
IIRC, you need to be on the roster, or have been on the roster by "clear day", which is a couple weeks before the end of the season.

I though there was changes to this. I am not sure if this article is for the strike shortened year only or is current...

http://pppshow.net/2013/04/04/clarity-on-the-american-hockey-league-playoff-roster-eligibility/

There has been so much confusion this season with the announcement earlier in 2013 that the American Hockey League & National Hockey League was doing away with AHL Clear Day Rosters after the new CBA was formed.

With that being said here is what we have learned after the last 24 hours about how the AHL playoff rosters will be determined.

Any player on an AHL roster at the Trade Deadline Day at 3 PM yesterday will be eligible for the playoff roster for the respective teams.
AHL teams can make AHL-based trades, loans or sign ATO’s up to April 10th & those players will be eligible for that team’s playoff roster.
Lastly, there is still a limit on recall moves to 4 but the new CBA has added now 3 recall moves for the playoffs.
Playoff rosters will now be announced on Monday, April 22nd, the day after the final game of the season. In the past, the “Clear Day” roster was released within a couple days of the Trade Deadline day being over.

http://www.tendthefarm.com/know-your-rights-ahl-postseason-eligibility-changes/

"AHL Clear Day roster restrictions have been removed. Any eligible player on a club’s roster may participate at any time during the remainder of the regular season and the Calder Cup Playoffs."

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Not much talk about Connor Brown. I was looking at the marlies stats and he leads the team in points by a fair margin, got selected to the AHL allstar game. Nice to see his offense is translating to pro, but how has he looked for those who have been watching. Any insights on his play with the AHL club?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Not much talk about Connor Brown. I was looking at the marlies stats and he leads the team in points by a fair margin, got selected to the AHL allstar game. Nice to see his offense is translating to pro, but how has he looked for those who have been watching. Any insights on his play with the AHL club?
He's been great. Aside from his production the thing that stands out to me is his motor and how hard he works. I think he could be a pretty good NHL'er in the future.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
Why not?

There are a lot of responsibilities when you play centre. It's an easy transition into the league and it will probably last at least 10 games.

I'd argue that 10 games =/= long. He is better suited offensively to play C. I'm not shocked by this move, but still, he played C in a men's league. It's not like he is learning it from scratch.

It's the AHL. Trial by fire is okay.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

He has been great. Constantly creating chances and always dangerous. Him, Rupert and Leivo have made a really good top line for the marlies. But even when he was playing with Biggs and Ross or with Mckegg earlier in the season, he was still a standout that could create chances. He is easily the hardest worker on the team. Works hard for the puck every shift. Although he is not "fast" in the traditional sense, his speed is deceptive in a way that he can get to the puck quicker than you would think. He has a great shot, he's a good passer and his hockey IQ is high.

His skill level is decent, but most of his scoring chances are created by hard work, finding open spaces and capitalizing on opportunities. He's easily the marlies best player...well, before Nylander was brought in.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
"Best goaltender in the game right now?" "Antoine BIBOO"

"Gilmour or Clark?" "Sundin."

Loov is the man. Funny guy and he looks huge.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It comes through in the D'amigo vids from last season as well - The Marlies is a fun place to be. If only that culture could exist on the Leafs. These guys seem to have a blast and the Swedes are at the heart of it.

Loov - Great guy in the room obviously.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'd argue that 10 games =/= long. He is better suited offensively to play C. I'm not shocked by this move, but still, he played C in a men's league. It's not like he is learning it from scratch.

It's the AHL. Trial by fire is okay.

It's this inane idea that a center has to be 6 foot 2, 210 pounds. It's dumb honestly. Nylander is a much better player at center than at wing, same thing with Kadri. Nylander will move there soon enough I'm sure.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
It's this inane idea that a center has to be 6 foot 2, 210 pounds. It's dumb honestly. Nylander is a much better player at center than at wing, same thing with Kadri. Nylander will move there soon enough I'm sure.

Matter of time I'm guessing.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
What Brown is doing is pretty impressive.

His production is reminiscent of Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher, similar styles too. All three were mid-late picks and put up similar AHL totals. All three guys are undersized wingers.

I don't think Brown has that agitation element in his game, but all three are similar in terms of being good at dealing with contact and having a high motor, hard work attitude. Skill game is there too

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
What Brown is doing is pretty impressive.

His production is reminiscent of Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher, similar styles too. All three were mid-late picks and put up similar AHL totals. All three guys are undersized wingers.

I don't think Brown has that agitation element in his game, but all three are similar in terms of being good at dealing with contact and having a high motor, hard work attitude. Skill game is there too

He doesn't play anywhere like Gallagher/Marchand, much more of a skill-game than an agitating style of play. Brown style is a lot more similar to Lupul more than anything else

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
Marchand came close in his first year of pro, but Brown outproduced them both in his last year junior and first year pro. Gallagher's numbers are significantly worse.

Number13

May 21, 2007

You don't necessarily need size to be a centre, but more often than not it's needed to be a top centre. Look at the last handful of stanley cup champs, all of them have a top centre over 6 feet.

It will be hard to play 7 game series' against top pairing western conference defensemen if you're a smallish centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad