Injury Report: 2014/15 Calgary Flames Injury Thread

May 27, 2012
Earth
I have a feeling he's going to stay up for the remainder of the year when he comes back.

Would be a waste .By the time he comes back everybody will be healthy, there won't be room for him, Jooris and Granlund will stay up and should. It would be better sending him back to Kingston for the remainder of the year. He also hasn't done any training I assume except maybe light bike exercises, it will be a rough ride if he stays in the NHL after several months of injury/surgery as an 18/19 year old.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Would be a waste .By the time he comes back everybody will be healthy, there won't be room for him, Jooris and Granlund will stay up and should. It would be better sending him back to Kingston for the remainder of the year. He also hasn't done any training I assume except maybe light bike exercises, it will be a rough ride if he stays in the NHL after several months of injury/surgery as an 18/19 year old.

I've said this before, but I think the Flames will milk his 9 game tryout process and have him practice and train with the big club a little longer. He doesn't necessarily have to play in games, and because of that he can stay with us and train/learn. If he does look good in those practices (consider the fact that he looked good with a bummed shoulder in training camp) he might just get a few games. Who knows where the Flames will be by that time and injuries too.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I have a feeling he's going to stay up for the remainder of the year when he comes back.
I'm not so sure anything is certain as of right now.

He's expected back in February / March, correct? The Flames should have a much better picture of their post-season hopes by then.

I don't really want to rush him, a return to his junior team would do nothing but benefit him if Kingston's bound for the playoffs and Calgary is not. That said, he could also be returned to Kingston, and called up again if/when Kingston's season is over.

Or he goes to the AHL on a conditioning stint (they can do that I think? someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if he tears it up there, maybe that's when they make that decision.

What a great position to be in though - we probably won't need to keep him here when he returns.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011

I don't have the link, but I read that our new fitness coach as been working him hard. (lower body).

I'll try and find it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't have the link, but I read that our new fitness coach as been working him hard. (lower body).

I'll try and find it.

It was from the Brad Treliving interview on the Fan a couple of weeks ago. I'm not saying it's definite he stays up, it's just a hunch I have. I think he will be stronger, we may have some injuries then, but he's just so impressive. I think his ceiling is very similar to Gaudreau's.

I love Bennett, he just wants it so bad. He would literally jump through a concrete wall to play in the NHL. In no way do I want him rushed, but it's similar to Monahan. You can't say it's best for him to go back to Jr's until we see him. It may be best for him to stay up, or go back down, his play will give us the answer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not so sure anything is certain as of right now.

He's expected back in February / March, correct? The Flames should have a much better picture of their post-season hopes by then.

I don't really want to rush him, a return to his junior team would do nothing but benefit him if Kingston's bound for the playoffs and Calgary is not. That said, he could also be returned to Kingston, and called up again if/when Kingston's season is over.

Or he goes to the AHL on a conditioning stint (they can do that I think? someone correct me if I'm wrong) and if he tears it up there, maybe that's when they make that decision.

What a great position to be in though - we probably won't need to keep him here when he returns.
He can and should be sent to the AHL on a conditioning stint. The conditioning stint can be for no longer than 2 weeks.

For arguments sake let's say Bennett is medically cleared on February 15th. This would be a plausible scenario I think.

The Flames then let him participate in full practices for a few day and send him down to Adirondack for a 2 week conditioning stint on the 20th (ADK's first game after the 15th is on the 20th, so I believe the NHL would allow this).

Bennett could then play in the ADK Flames 5 games he would be eligible for. After those 5 AHL games Bennett would need to be recalled on
March 6th.

On March 6th the Flames would be required to call Bennett back up to the big club and would then take him off IR. At which would the Flames would need to either make roster space for him or send him to his junior club.

Assuming there are injuries and I do assume there will be injuries, the Flames could keep Bennett on the roster. He could make his NHL debut on March 8th in Ottawa, so all of his friends and family could see his first NHL game. I would then send him back to the OHL and allow him to play in Kingston's final 7 games and their playoff run.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It was from the Brad Treliving interview on the Fan a couple of weeks ago. I'm not saying it's definite he stays up, it's just a hunch I have. I think he will be stronger, we may have some injuries then, but he's just so impressive. I think his ceiling is very similar to Gaudreau's.

I love Bennett, he just wants it so bad. He would literally jump through a concrete wall to play in the NHL. In no way do I want him rushed, but it's similar to Monahan. You can't say it's best for him to go back to Jr's until we see him. It may be best for him to stay up, or go back down, his play will give us the answer.

There's is something to really, really say about the kids who have the pedigree but want it more than anything.

Know what I mean?
I think the whole 'I deserve to be in the NHL' story is played too much for junior players with high pedigree (first rounders). They demands trades, they don't like being sent down, their parents/agents go out in the media and *****...
It's just like; ****ing rights, we have this kid, who has an incredibly high ceiling, he's mega skilled and he's tough as nails... plus he's just raring to go, he wants it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Roger Millions ‏@RogMillions 2h2 hours ago
Colborne "I would not wish the conditioning work I've put in on anybody" #hewantstoplay

Hopefully he's returning tomorrow.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
You know, I thought Granlund would go down before when Backlund came back as well, now I'm not so sure. Raymond has been underwhelming since his return to say the least and has been a healthy scratch, if he doesn't impress in the next game or 2 I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to this guy traded or even outright waived. Granlund hasn't been producing the last month or so to the same extent when he was first recalled earlier in the season, but I still think his all around play has been quite good. He's a smart player, he's skilled, he's offensive, and he's one of the few players we have that can create offence and he's a good finisher. I think we are a worse team with Raymond in the lineup over Granlund.

I'm going to call that a trade or roster move is made over Granlund being sent down.

Really happy Mr. Baeklund is back though!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You know, I thought Granlund would go down before when Backlund came back as well, now I'm not so sure. Raymond has been underwhelming since his return to say the least and has been a healthy scratch, if he doesn't impress in the next game or 2 I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to this guy traded or even outright waived. Granlund hasn't been producing the last month or so to the same extent when he was first recalled earlier in the season, but I still think his all around play has been quite good. He's a smart player, he's skilled, he's offensive, and he's one of the few players we have that can create offence and he's a good finisher. I think we are a worse team with Raymond in the lineup over Granlund.

I'm going to call that a trade or roster move is made over Granlund being sent down.

I don't think Raymond moving is possible, though, with both Raymond and Backlund in the lineup tonight. Our scratches include Granlund, McGrattan, Smid/Potter and Jones. You're only allowed three. Either Grats is going to be waived, or Granlund is being sent down.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

The easiest solution is for Raymond to be scratched if he continues this cold streak. It's the only thing we really can do. For Granlund, he'll get top 6 minutes in Addy. Even if he was the better player than Raymond, I still think we still need to see a little bit more production out of Raymond, hopefully it's very soon. I remember when we first signed him, outside fans of Toronto/Vancouver did warn us at how streaky he can be. Unfortunately, they're right.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think Raymond moving is possible, though, with both Raymond and Backlund in the lineup tonight. Our scratches include Granlund, McGrattan, Smid/Potter and Jones. You're only allowed three. Either Grats is going to be waived, or Granlund is being sent down.

Is Smid on the IR?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Eh. I saw that second line in Vancouver and there was zero chemistry until they put Jooris back with the hobbits. On the other hand Colborne and Monahan are magic together.
Chemistry is not built in one game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad