League News: 2014-15 Around the League Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Capitals should simplify their jersey like the Blues did.

Remove the the white vertical stripe on the arms and remove the the blue on the sides. Keep the away jersey how it is.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Capitals should simplify their jersey like the Blues did.

Remove the the white vertical stripe on the arms and remove the the blue on the sides. Keep the away jersey how it is.

Those barely nothing uni changes just seem like team money grabs. I looked at an image and couldn't tell from memory what was different from last seasons.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Those barely nothing uni changes just seem like team money grabs. I looked at an image and couldn't tell from memory what was different from last seasons.

Seriously? The Blues new jerseys are unbelievable. If they're not the prettiest in the NHL, they're now up there. Well, the away ones at least.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Krejci re-ups with Boston. 6 years x ~$7M. Takes him up until he's 35. One fewer center on the UFA market next off-season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Antoine Vermette is still slated to be a UFA next off-season.

Nashville also has a slew of stopgap options. Mike Fisher is the most appealing, assuming he can recover from the achilles injury and he doesn't retire. It would be a 35+ contract, though. Anyone know his relationship with Trotz? Jokinen is a functional stopgap, and Ribeiro or Roy could re-establish value this season.

But yes, the top 6 center pickings are slim. Only two real long-term candidates right now, and there's still a full season for them to re-up with their teams. No more compliance buyouts to add to the UFA pool, either.

In the trade market, I'd target Bryan Little. Salary cap would make it difficult for an in-season trade (barring Laich going to the other way or salary being unloaded elsewhere). But perhaps a strong futures package during the off-season could make Winnipeg listen.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am not sure how common coach player feuds are, but we sure seemed to have our fair share under Bruce.

I have a feeling "ill-prepared oaf" wasn't something that was directly translated... more the reporters words.

FWIW, I felt he was ill prepared in the playoffs. It took him several years before I saw basic things - strategy tried, line matching, defensive lines, etc. His strategy many years was to run Ovi against their top players, over and over. When it failed, he had no adjustment.

Well, other than turning to the inexperienced backup goaltender. Which is nothing more than a shot in the arm. He shunned his vet Gs and was dealt painful losses late in series's.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
If anything, that seriously impacted my respect of Selanne. Made him seem really petty and selfish.

Dunno. Selanne had a long and vaunted career playing with many coaches. The Ducks were a powerhouse in the regular season, crashed and burned embarrassingly in the playoffs—the Boudreau special. And now one of the all-time greats is calling him out. His opinion counts for something to me. Could be a legit insight into the realities of BB's coaching.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dunno. Selanne had a long and vaunted career playing with many coaches. The Ducks were a powerhouse in the regular season, crashed and burned embarrassingly in the playoffs—the Boudreau special. And now one of the all-time greats is calling him out. His opinion counts for something to me. Could be a legit insight into the realities of BB's coaching.

Fedorov said the opposite. Does that carry the same weight?

edit: Selanne also apparently ripped Getzlaf.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Didn't BB sit Selanne in a playoff game or two?

For a proud vet I'm sure thats highly insulting but the fact is that those great players never think they aren't good and feel their games never slip. 99% of Ducks fans thought that was the right move and I believe the Ducks won that game.

I could be off...but I think this is where it comes from.

Knuble probably hated Hunter

I would have loved to see Teemu under Keenan.

I am not sure how common coach player feuds are, but we sure seemed to have our fair share under Bruce.

I have a feeling "ill-prepared oaf" wasn't something that was directly translated... more the reporters words.

You know a guy named Scotty Bowman? He was universally hated so much by the entire Penguins team that they ran him out of town despite winning a stanley cup a in one of his couple years there.

Bowman had issues in Detroit too....Coffey, Ciccarelli and even Yzerman among others. The infamous Sean Burr ( a tough, loved and respected teammate who was a good hockey player) incident...Bowman once asked Burr what Burr thought of him and Burr replied: ‘‘You’re 60 years old, you use a horn to make line changes, you play with toy trains. I think you are Pejorative Slured.’’
I guess Bowman is turbl too.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Babcock is also hated by many Detroit players. However, Babcock and Bowman aren't exactly "player's coaches." Boudreau is supposed to a be a player's coach, a guy the whole team loves.

They also translated some quotes of him ripping Getzlaf and Randy Carlyle. Most of his complaints about Boudreau really just seem like a proud player being pissed off that he was getting a smaller role as his age caught up with him. Outside of the Olympics, Selanne was not a great player last year. He flubbed the powerplay chances he got, and his even-strength contributions have been declining for a while.

It also apparently reads different in Finnish, and the quotes are somewhat out of context. He also says:
”There’s nothing wrong with my relationship with Boudreau. In fact, he is a nice man."
”We just had very different view of what kind of player I am."

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
You guys are ridicules. Tortz says Mike Green is part of leadership of the team and I knock Green for not showing anything that resembles leadership on the ice. And you ask for links or inside information I have that would prove what Tortz says to be untrue.

And now we have a legend that played for a coach that has been knocked by his players before. And you guys say he just has an axe to grind. This is par for the course with you guys.

Randy was right on the money.

FWIW, I felt he was ill prepared in the playoffs. It took him several years before I saw basic things strategy tried, line matching, defensive lines, etc. His strategy many years was to run Ovi against their top players, over and over. When it failed, he had no adjustment.

Well, other than turning to the inexperienced backup goaltender. Which is nothing more than a shot in the arm. He shunned his vet Gs and was dealt painful losses late in series's.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Babcock is also hated by many Detroit players. However, Babcock and Bowman aren't exactly "player's coaches." Boudreau is supposed to a be a player's coach, a guy the whole team loves.

They also translated some quotes of him ripping Getzlaf and Randy Carlyle. Most of his complaints about Boudreau really just seem like a proud player being pissed off that he was getting a smaller role as his age caught up with him. Outside of the Olympics, Selanne was not a great player last year. He flubbed the powerplay chances he got, and his even-strength contributions have been declining for a while.

It also apparently reads different in Finnish, and the quotes are somewhat out of context. He also says:
”There’s nothing wrong with my relationship with Boudreau. In fact, he is a nice man."
”We just had very different view of what kind of player I am."

Just because you are a "Players coach" doesn't mean EVERY player will love you especially those that you bench or don't get ice time.

So yeah I can definitely see thats what it was. Selanne just bitter he was getting a diminished role for what he perceived an unjustified reasons (altho everyone else had seen a sharp decline in his play due to Father Time)

And now we have a legend that played for a coach that has been knocked by his players before. And you guys say he just has an axe to grind. This is par for the course with you guys.

Son..you haven't been following the NHL very long have you? Guys like Bowman and Keenan (and Babcock) were all pretty much hated. Want to talk about "Legends"? Mario Lemieux DESPISED Scotty Bowman!

Lemieux is a GREATER Legend than Selanne can ever hope to be.

Keenan routinely RIPPED Brian Leetch apart and did not like him. "You're not half the defensman Chris Chelios is and I'd trade you right now if I could get him"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Just because you are a "Players coach" doesn't mean EVERY player will love you especially those that you bench or don't get ice time.

So yeah I can definitely see thats what it was. Selanne just bitter he was getting a diminished role for what he perceived an unjustified reasons (altho everyone else had seen a sharp decline in his play due to Father Time)

I'm not arguing it has to be 100% love, simply pointing out the very different coaching philosophies between Boudreau and Bowman-types. Almost everyone hated Bowman, but that was part of his coaching style and it worked for him. It's definitely not part of Boudreau's repetoire.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not arguing it has to be 100% love, simply pointing out the very different coaching philosophies between Boudreau and Bowman-types. Almost everyone hated Bowman, but that was part of his coaching style and it worked for him. It's definitely not part of Boudreau's repetoire.

I think we're on the same page here.

Keenan was a Bowman wannabe and was despised by 99% of his players. But not guys like Messier and Larmer for example.

Even despised coaches have players who like them. Roenick liked Keenan but he's one of the rare few who did. The feud between Hull and Keenan was classic and Keenan went so far as to brutally insult Gretzky in a drunken hotel tirade.

Keenan eviscerated heart and soul player Tevor Linden during a game vs the Blues and then when Odjik stuck up for Linden, Keenan traded Odjick (who was good friends with Trevor)

But a few like Noonan, Matteau, Anderson, Messier and Larmer loved Keenan. Exceptions to the rule. Exceptions to the rule work both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad