League News: 2014-15 Around the League IV (NHL News, Scores, Highlights, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
would not be shocked to see 19-44-74 as a checking group with 8-92-2 as the attack pack. then 65-90-27.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Obviously it's different now but before last season, when Orlov was healthy, he was absolutely dominant at times on 4-on-4 situations. I think if he ever gets fully healthy then he's definitely worth a shot in those 3-on-3 situations.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I honestly believe they'll be more 2 d-man 1 forward attacks for 3 on 3 that people think. That's the way it worked out when I played junior hockey.

Also i think Orlov would be really solid in that format

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think you could have made a strong case for either player to be honest.

They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
They were considered neck and neck going into the final game of the regular season. Ovechkin scored his 51st and 52nd goals and led the team in hits as 1st star of the night in a 5-4 win against Montreal AT Montreal with Price in net. Price made 15 saves on 19 shots for a .790 save%.

At the time it was considered the tiebreaker of sorts, but I guess everyone forgot about it.
On the other hand if you ignore the recency effect bias in that last game and look at the entire season as a whole Price had one of the best seasons a goaltender has ever had in the history of the league. Ovi had a phenomenal season no doubt and maintained his reputations as a consistent, dominant 50+ goalscorer while adding more defensive play to his game than we've seen recently but I don't think we can realistically be upset that they voted in favor of Price either because his season was just that insanely good. Still a bit bummed he only came away with the Rocket Richard but what can you do.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Don't be upset about it. Ovi won those awards 3 times already, Price had no trophies before today.
I would've liked to see Ovi take the Lindsay but it doesn't matter anyway, those meaningless awards won't get us any closer to the Cup.

We already know Ovi is a legend, we don't need another MVP title to remind us that he's the best.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think it was already decided....

Price was amazing. Ovy was Ovy, same ole dominant top 3 world class player.....yawn ho hum. ;)

Honestly the only hardware we should care about is The Cup and the Conn Smythe...I didn't think he did enough this year. Happy for the Richard though.

I'm kinda stoked to see Kuzy start the season as 1C with the top line assuming Nicky isn't healthy to start.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
On the other hand if you ignore the recency effect bias in that last game and look at the entire season as a whole Price had one of the best seasons a goaltender has ever had in the history of the league. Ovi had a phenomenal season no doubt and maintained his reputations as a consistent, dominant 50+ goalscorer while adding more defensive play to his game than we've seen recently but I don't think we can realistically be upset that they voted in favor of Price either because his season was just that insanely good. Still a bit bummed he only came away with the Rocket Richard but what can you do.

It's not recency. Like I said, it was widely thought that they were neck and neck at the time of that game. The pregame hype included talk about the battle for the Hart.

Price had a .933 save%. Holtby, who finished 4th, had .923, which is very close. Both had 9 shutouts. Both teams had 9 players with double digit goals. Despite the talk about Price being the entire Habs team, they had four players over 20 goals and Patch almost hit 40. Ovechkin's 53 was more than double the next closest Capital.

Yet Holtby finished 4th in the Vezina, and Ovechkin 2nd in the Hart. I don't buy it. You put in a different goaltender with a .923 save % on that Montreal team and they're still in the playoffs. If you take out Ovechkin and swap him with Montreal's top scorer the Capitals miss the postseason.

Price had a great season but he was not the most valuable player to his team or in the league, imo.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
It's not recency. Like I said, it was widely thought that they were neck and neck at the time of that game. The pregame hype included talk about the battle for the Hart.

Price had a .933 save%. Holtby, who finished 4th, had .923, which is very close. Both had 9 shutouts. Both teams had 9 players with double digit goals. Despite the talk about Price being the entire Habs team, they had four players over 20 goals and Patch almost hit 40. Ovechkin's 53 was more than double the next closest Capital.

Yet Holtby finished 4th in the Vezina, and Ovechkin 2nd in the Hart. I don't buy it. You put in a different goaltender with a .923 save % on that Montreal team and they're still in the playoffs. If you take out Ovechkin and swap him with Montreal's top scorer the Capitals miss the postseason.

Price had a great season but he was not the most valuable player to his team or in the league, imo.

Most valuable player to his team? Yes. The Montreal are a bubble playoff team at best without him

Most valuable player in the league? No.

The numbers OV put up during a season where the league average in goals was at an all time low (or close to the lowest). That last game you were talking about when they were battling it out, Elliott Friedman did a real good segment on both of them and OV's production relative to league wide goals per game average and it was really impressive how OV compared. Price also had a historic year, but I'd be willing to bet that if all 29 other team's coaches and players were asked who they would take given the option, we all know who they would take. :yo:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Most valuable player to his team? Yes. The Montreal are a bubble playoff team at best without him

Most valuable player in the league? No.

The numbers OV put up during a season where the league average in goals was at an all time low (or close to the lowest). That last game you were talking about when they were battling it out, Elliott Friedman did a real good segment on both of them and OV's production relative to league wide goals per game average and it was really impressive how OV compared. Price also had a historic year, but I'd be willing to bet that if all 29 other team's coaches and players were asked who they would take given the option, we all know who they would take. :yo:

I typed that last summary sentence on the way out the door and I meant in the context of comparing value to team vs other players' value to team, as explained in the previous paragraphs. Of course Price was the MVP of his team but the Hart is supposedly which of those team MVPs means the most to his team. To me there is a bigger gulf from team MVP to the rest of the squad for Washington compared Montreal.

If Price were on the Caps instead of Holtby, is there much difference? Is Ovie still the team MVP?

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I typed that last summary sentence on the way out the door and I meant in the context of comparing value to team vs other players' value to team, as explained in the previous paragraphs. Of course Price was the MVP of his team but the Hart is supposedly which of those team MVPs means the most to his team. To me there is a bigger gulf from team MVP to the rest of the squad for Washington compared Montreal.

If Price were on the Caps instead of Holtby, is there much difference? Is Ovie still the team MVP?

Well at that point if Price was with us, it would be very difficult. Because like you said, would it cause voters to suggest Price had such good numbers because the overall team of Washington is better then Montreal? Compared to Price taking on a huge workload with a team that struggles to score. OV hit a lot of posts this year. If he had of dinked the iron in the right direction 7 of those times, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Price wins because the story of Goalie has historic season on low scoring bubble team sounds better. Compared to OV being typical OV and getting high production when scoring is at a premium. Price has developed into a great goalie, but never played that good before.

Again, the NHL world would explode if a 53G, 81 pt forward won the trophy over a Goalie who had a historic season. Popularity vote. Same as the All Star game BS where one player from every team is there. Example, Nugent-
Hopkins beating Backstrom there...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Schedule released. Four home games to start then off to western Canada. West coast swing to la sj and Anaheim is Mid March and end against isles pens and blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad