GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships Thread

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Gaudreau gets gold and a tournament all star award. Hobey Baker next? Should be patrolling the port side for the Flames in the next 18 months, size be damned.

Loved the medal presentation too. Tretiak took time to give Johnny Hockey a slap in the head and a special congratulation on his medal. Obviously Tretiak was a fan and liked what he saw. Subtle but important acknowledgement from one of the greatest players the game has produced!

Last edited:

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Have to like the performances of the Flames other prospects in the tournament. Granlund was arguably the best Finn, out shining supposed stars to be like Armia and Teravainen. Bother Wotherspoon and Sieloff made their teams as the seventh defender and then played their way onto the top four. The tournament is not the end-all-be-all for projecting players, but you do like to see your young guys step up and over perform. Good stuff all around.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Have to like the performances of the Flames other prospects in the tournament. Granlund was arguably the best Finn, out shining supposed stars to be like Armia and Teravainen. Bother Wotherspoon and Sieloff made their teams as the seventh defender and then played their way onto the top four. The tournament is not the end-all-be-all for projecting players, but you do like to see your young guys step up and over perform. Good stuff all around.

I don't think Wotherspoon ever was in the top 4. He was paired with Oulette on the 3rd pairing.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
:D Hell YES!!!
Haha! Well deserved win for the US and I'm super happy for Sieloff and especially Johnny. I just wish it hadn't come at the expense of a repeat Sweden gold. Pretty unhappy about coaching decisions in the final as well.

Looking forward to next year in Malmö... about 30 minutes from my city!

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Granlund was not Finland's best forward, it was Teräväinen. Granlund had a really bad game against Czech Republic. He was on first line as a center, although he has played better at wing and that spot was too big for him already before tournament. So after all I'm quite happy of Granlund's performance, but he didn't shine this year.

He hasn't been so good in FEL this season for HIFK, so these games were good if we compare his performance to FEL-games. Hopefully he will develop.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Johnny with his gold medal

:handclap:

A_3H9cICMAE7cVF.jpg

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Congrats to Johnny, Sieloff and Gillies. Nice to see that we had 3 Flame prospects winning a gold and 2 of them played key roles.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I don't think Wotherspoon ever was in the top 4. He was paired with Oulette on the 3rd pairing.

He definitely played in the top four in the last game of the tournament. In fact he was matched up against the Yakupov line for most of the game (ES) and did a great job. He also played consistently on the top PK unit with Harrington for the entire tournament.

I have always been a fan of Wotherspoon and his performance in this tournament only helped solidify my thoughts that he will play in the NHL for a long time in the future.
He outplayed the likes Hamilton, Reinhart, Murphy and Rielly from the round robin on. Great tournament for Tyler.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Massive holes may be a little bit of an over statement, but he does have things he needs to work on.

They're only massive in the sense that they'll keep him out of the NHL.

If he can work on his coverage in the defensive zone (and for all I know he was doing as told during this tournament) then I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future in the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They're only massive in the sense that they'll keep him out of the NHL.

If he can work on his coverage in the defensive zone (and for all I know he was doing as told during this tournament) then I'd be a lot more optimistic about his future in the NHL.

Its obviously a valid concern, but I'm not all that worried. The same things were said of Brodie, Gaudreau is an intelligent player and I'm sure he's aware of his weaknesses and he strikes me as the kind of player that will focus on those areas with great effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad