GDT: 2013 World Junior Championships Thread

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
I could be wrong but I believe I read this morning that Gaudreau and Granlund are in like top 10 in scoring in the tournament, nice to see.

Last edited:

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Theres 3 players tied for 5 goals and Granlund and Gaudreau are 2 of those 3 as well as Granlund being 2nd overall in scoring behind nugent-hopkins.

Its nice to see Gaudreau finally get some goals after a few unlucky attempts in the previous games. This has to do tons for his confidence going into tommorow, although I am still gona be cheering for Wotherspoon and the Canadians.

This tournament is starting to get real exciting not just for hockey fans but also flames fans!

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Its nice to see Gaudreau finally get some goals after a few unlucky attempts in the previous games. This has to do tons for his confidence going into tommorow, although I am still gona be cheering for Wotherspoon and the Canadians.

Same but I wouldn't mind seeing him score 1 or 2 if we still win.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There's way more to hockey than just stats, but no one can say that Granlund hasn't been effective in this tournament. He's shown that he can score and that he has skill. I do believe there is something there and he has good potential.

Great to see JG break out in a big way! I'll be pulling for Canada, but I hope he has a huge game and he's known to on the biggest of stages.

Its quite refreshing to see our prospects in the headlines, Wotherspoon has also played great. I'm super pumped for the game.

HoshiBlitz

Jul 10, 2011
Red mile.
For anyone who missed this game:

It was a great game to watch!

Seeing Kucherov tie the game up got me thinking that he would eventually score the winner, ala Niederreiter a couple years back.

Oddly enough, I must say that the Swiss were the most exciting team to watch this tournament. Their 3rd periods were ridiculously intense. Got me thinking how much more damage they could do if Conz or Bartschi were still elligible.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Gaudreau is a completely different player with Grimaldi off his line. He's getting better as the games get tougher too, which is always a good sign.

Trae

Calgary
Gaudreau is a completely different player with Grimaldi off his line. He's getting better as the games get tougher too, which is always a good sign.

If one could describe him in one word based on not only this tournament but more specifically his time with BC, it would be "clutch". The amount of GWGs and PPGs is ridiculous and he really does step up when it matters.

I can only pray that we get to see that from him in a Flames jersey during the playoffs one day.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Whomever not watching this missing out on the Johnny Gaudreau show! It is so ridiculous! Screw all you people that didn't watch this morning, I am talking about him at work today lol.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
He'll need to spend at least a year in the AHL, even after 4 years in the college. Will need to bulk up a fair bit to stick in the NHL.

It'd be very silly to rush a player like Gaudreau.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Likely not, I see them leaving him to finish college first and keep bulking up.

Ya but despite his size he's completely dominated at every level he's played at.

Plus you don't want him to feel snubbed by the Flames if we leave him in college for two more years, he could pull a Justin Schultz.

Let me put it this way, if I complete tore up both the NCAA and WJC and then the team that owns my pro rights said "That's nice kid, but we need you to work on your size for two more years," I might be a little pissed. Especially if that size has been the chip on my shoulders for my entire career/life, which it probably has been for Johnny.

Last edited:

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
He'll need to spend at least a year in the AHL, even after 4 years in the college. Will need to bulk up a fair bit to stick in the NHL.

It'd be very silly to rush a player like Gaudreau.

It's not rushing him if he's proven to be elite at every level. Put him in the AHL for a year. Reward him for his hard work and success.

Fact of the matter is with Gaudreau playing so well it's at the point where Calgary has to show their faith in him because there will be pressure on him to walk away if he completes four years of college. Two years to develop physically is also an extra two years to develop an ego.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
It's not rushing him if he's proven to be elite at every level. Put him in the AHL for a year. Reward him for his hard work and success.

Fact of the matter is with Gaudreau playing so well it's at the point where Calgary has to show their faith in him because there will be pressure on him to walk away if he completes four years of college. Two years to develop physically is also an extra two years to develop an ego.

He is dominating the college stat sheets as well, so it's understandable if the Flames do push him to go to the AHL. But there's also the question of whether Gaudreau wants to leave college early. He could want to stay.

Also, I don't believe Gaudreau (or Jankowski) can pull a Shultz. Neither will qualify for that loophole.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
He is dominating the college stat sheets as well, so it's understandable if the Flames do push him to go to the AHL. But there's also the question of whether Gaudreau wants to leave college early. He could want to stay.

Also, I don't believe Gaudreau (or Jankowski) can pull a Shultz. Neither will qualify for that loophole.
Since Gaudreau played for Dubuque(USHL), which is equivalent to BCHL, if he plays out his 4 years of college he could do that.

But with the new CBA coming I'd think they will fix that issue

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Since Gaudreau played for Dubuque(USHL), which is equivalent to BCHL, if he plays out his 4 years of college he could do that.

But with the new CBA coming I'd think they will fix that issue

I had forgotten about that. If the new CBA doesn't fix it, then yes, Gaudreau should be signed as soon possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad