2013 NHL Entry Draft - Our Rankings

• Thread starter TheOriginalSilf*
  • Start date

TheOriginalSilf*

I figured we'd all take a collective look at our newly drafted prospects by ranking our picks, not by sheer talent, but by how satisfied we are with the specific player being chosen at a specific time.

Round 1 (17th overall)

1297436417889_ORIGINAL.jpg

Curtis Lazar (C/RW) from Edmonton Oil Kings of the WHL
Height: 6'0
Weight: 190 lbs.
Handedness: Right​

Initially, I wasn't incredibly satisfied with this selection as I had my heart set on Shinkaruk as he seemed to be the "boom or bust" prospect that our organization needs with top-end potential. However, upon further analysis of Lazar as a player, Lazar does in fact have some great offensive potential that could translate well in the NHL. With a fantastic release and great offensive instincts, Lazar very well may become a 2nd line threat in the coming years. Aside from his offensive potential, Lazar brings a high motor and will to succeed. Lazar strides to be a player that consistently plays a 200-foot game where he's very defensively conscious. At the very least, Lazar seems as though he can become a bottom-6 player in the NHL that can provide some secondary scoring and provide valuable minutes on the PK. I believe Pierre Dorion and the Murray's did an excellent job picking up a player that is sure to thrive under Paul MacLean who stresses the importance of being a team that plays a 200-foot game. Aside from his on-ice characteristics, Lazar seems to possess fantastic leadership skills and intangibles that show the type of team that Bryan Murray is now looking to build moving forward. After scoring 30 goals in the last 45 games on the WHL season, it should be interesting to see how Lazar does with the Oil Kings next season.

Round 3 (78th overall)

6234.jpg

Marcus Hogberg (G) from Linkoping J20 (SWE)
Height: 6'4
Weight: 194 lbs.
Catches: Left​

The Ottawa Senators had themselves in a strange and unfamiliar place this past season: the realm of goaltending depth. With the likes of Craig Anderson, Robin Lehner and Ben Bishop all being NHL ready goalies, the organization found valuable depth that they've never had before. After dealing away Ben Bishop to the Tampa Bay Lighting this past trade deadline, for Cory Conacher and a 4th round pick, the organization no longer had the same depth they were so lucky to possess. Last year's draft saw the organization take two goalies, Chris Driedger and Francois Brassard. In the third round of this year's draft, the organization added another piece in between the pipes to increase their depth at the position. Marcus Hogberg is a big, butterfly goaltender that has been considered by many scouts to be one of, if not, the best goaltender out of Europe in this year's draft class. Having early comparisons to Robin Lehner, it's easy for Sens fans to get excited about the potential of having another Lehner in our mix. Hogberg is still many years away from being an NHL goaltender, but having another goaltender coming from overseas allows the organization to develop their goaltenders without having a cluttered group in the AHL. Hogberg has been known to come up in clutch situations and plays big when it matters. Reports say that Hogberg will need to work on his rebound control and his glove hand, but he'll have plenty of time to work on his skill set in Mora IK (Allsvenskan) next season. Never a bad thing to add depth in goal, and getting a big, Swedish goaltender in the early-mid rounds has worked out for the Senators before.

Round 4 (102nd overall)

2.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Tobias Lindberg (C/RW) from Djurgarden J20 (SWE)
Height: 6'2
Weight: 187 lbs.
Handedness: Left​

Pierre Dorion and the Murray's have much recent experience drafting out of the junior league in Sweden and have had success drafting prominent players from these under-scouted leagues before. With the organization coming out before the draft and stating that they'd like to make some risky, "homerun" picks in the mid-late rounds, it makes sense to see the organization draw from the Swedish Jr. league. Tobias Lindberg has a large frame that he uses to drive the net hard and has the potential to be an effective power forward in North America. European scout for the Senators, Vaclav Burda, compared Lindberg to Colin Greening in terms of his play style and he believes that if Lindberg can fill out his frame and become a stronger, more physical presence, there's no reason that he can't one day become an NHL player. Even though Lindberg was an "off-the-board" selection in the 4th round, this might have more to do with how little the Jr. league in Sweden is considered by some organizations.

Round 4 (108th overall)

Ben+Harpur+2013+NHL+Draft+xuuIjoI8KTal.jpg

Ben Harpur (D) from Guelph Storm of the OHL
Height: 6'6
Weight: 210 lbs.

Ben Harpur is a very interesting prospect because he's only been playing defense since joining the Guelph Storm. Harpur was naturally a forwarded that was converted into a defenseman. One thing that the Ottawa Senators are very fond of in drafting history is taking guys who were risers throughout the season. This was very much evident already this year with both Hogberg, and now, Harpur. After enduring some early struggles this season, Harpur really came into his own in the later part of the season. While Harpur does need to improve on his foot speed and one-on-one situations, he's being touted as an effective shut down defenseman that can even contribute offensively when needed. Harpur has been quoted as saying that he may not even be done growing and one can only imagine how big this kid can get. Harpur should expect to see more ice-time with the Storm next season and a heightened role on the ice.

Round 5 (138th overall)

613041-deuxieme-fois-trois-saisons-attaquant.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Vincent Dunn (C) from Val d'Or/Gatineau of the QMJHL
Height: 5'11
Weight: 172 lbs.

Grabbing a chippy, pesky player that put up nearly a point per game this past season in the QMJHL in the 5th round seems to be some good value. Vincent Dunn has been reported to share the same mold as a Brad Marchand or, something more familiar to Senators fans, a Chris Neil. The comparisons mainly stem from Dunn's ability to be a gritty and physical player that has the ability to provide some scoring. This is another pick that fits the Bryan Murray draft history while in Ottawa. Being born in Hull, Dunn grew up a Senators fan and is considered a local kid, the type of player that Bryan Murray is fond of already having Marc Methot on the Senators, as well as drafting another QMJHL talent from the area in Jean Gabriel-Pageau. Realistically, the Senators can only hope this young man can turn into a scrappy, energy line player in the NHL that can provide some secondary scoring.

Round 6 (161st overall)

Chris Leblanc (RW) from South Shore Kings of the EJHL
Height: 6'3
Weight: 195 lbs.

Chris Leblanc will be heading to Merrimack College next year after a fairly promising season in the EJHL. Leblanc is actually a 19 year old who has been passed over last year in the 2012 Entry Draft. This is another instance of a "Murray pick". Drafting a big framed college player that has 4 years of play in college before needing to sign said player to a contract. Rather than waiting for a Bobby Butler, Tyler Bozak or any other NHL player that came from an American college to become ready to sign with a team, the Senators hold the rights to Leblanc so if they decide he's worth the investment down the road, he'll be available to the organization. Nothing more than a project pick, but if any organization has the depth in their prospect pool to take time with some of their prospects, it's the Ottawa Senators.

Round 6 (168th overall)

Quentin Shore (C) from the University of Denver (USA)
Height: 6'2
Weight: 187 lbs.

The third Shore brother, next to Drew Shore of the Florida Panthers and Nick Shore of the Los Angeles Kings, is an overager who was passed up in draft last year just as Leblanc was. Nothing much more to say about Shore that wasn't said about Leblanc. Project pick that may become ready for the pro's in several years.

Round | No. | Player | Grade
1|17|Curtis Lazar (C/RW)|A
3|78|Marcus Hogberg (G)|B+
4|102|Tobias Lindberg (C/RW)|B-
4|108|Ben Harpur (D)|B
5|138|Vincent Dunn (C)|A-
6|161|Chris Leblanc (RW)|C+
7|168|Quentin Shore (C)|C+

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just the kind of summary i was looking for. Thanks! I'm especially intrigued by the first 5 picks. Nothing against the last 2.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Curtis Lazar: B+
Marcus Hogberg: B+
Tobias Lindberg: C+
Ben Harpur: B
Vince Dunn: B
Chris Leblanc: C+
Quentin Shore: C+

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lazar, Dunn and Harpur have me excited the most. Leblanc, not so much. The others we'll wait and see on.

Emery

Jul 18, 2011
Ottawa
Lazar - A-
Hogberg - B-
Lindberg - B-
Harpur - B
Dunn - B
Leblanc - C
Shore - C

Lazar, Harpur, and Dunn were very good picks IMO. Hogberg has me intrigued. Lindberg has me excited because one of our scouts (Burda I think) compared him to Greening. Leblanc and Shore I can't really comment on.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
To be honest, I don't really like looking into the later round picks with as much detail unless there is a specific prospect that someone has seen that they think should be in the NHL.

I always trust the scouts with those later picks. Canucks fans are so happy that they got PK Subban's younger brother in the draft, but it's all hype. They wouldn't be as happy as they were if his name was John Smith.

With non-CHL players, I'll always reserve judgement until the development camp where I can actually see people live. I just don't think it's fair to grade people with C's in the late round. Why? Because if that 7th rounder was a local kid who everyone knows, they'd give out A's.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I only like the Lazar and Harpur picks. I don't see much future for the others, but Ottawa has a good drafting history.

Lazar is one of the many prospects that I got excited about this year and raved about earlier in the season (this draft is/was deep). Harpur is just an interesting player that I'll have to see more of.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I am not super excited about Lazar. He seems like one of those "hard-working" WHL guys that aren't super-skilled, but get drafted in the 1st round every year (Chipchura, Boyd etc). Hopefully he scores a billion goals next year to get me more excited.

R2010

May 23, 2011
I am not super excited about Lazar. He seems like one of those "hard-working" WHL guys that aren't super-skilled, but get drafted in the 1st round every year (Chipchura, Boyd etc). Hopefully he scores a billion goals next year to get me more excited.

Chipchura and Boyd are weak comparisons. His skillset is much higher. Scouting based on statlines is misleading. The guy has an elite shot and strong skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad