Prospect Info: 2013 Draft Part II: All Aboard the Nichushkin Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Monahan is fine, would have gone top-3 the past 3 years easily and has elite playmaking 2C upside. I just think Lindholm and Nichushkin both have more 1st line, 70-80 point upside.

At this point, though it looks unlikely, I'm still hoping for Barkov at 5. If not, trade down to 7, 11, 12, wherever. We'll draft a good player regardless, and if trading down can net us a top 4 defender I'm all for it. There are plenty of good options in the top 10 and top 15.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Monahan is fine, would have gone top-3 the past 3 years easily and has elite playmaking 2C upside. I just think Lindholm and Nichushkin both have more 1st line, 70-80 point upside.

He's fine, I certainly won't complain if that's who we take, and I can understand the point of view of taking the safer pick, especially when drafts are generally crapshoots.

Still, with Nich apparently willing to play in NA rather than Russia, the risk/reward factor for him has jumped in a lot more favorable direction.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
The biggest thing going against Nichushkin is that even if he comes over here right away to play in the NHL, what's to say he doesn't bolt back to the KHL if things don't go as planned, we lowball him as a RFA, etc?

None of the other top prospects have that kind of risk.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
So Garrioch states he's heard we like nurse, at 5. Good thing this guy gets nothing right.

We are all over the trade rumors. I read Brendan smith and detroits 18 for our 5th. Don't like that.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Am I the only one hoping we don't trade the 1st or 2nd and just draft BPA?

Nope. Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan. Whoever of those three I'm perfectly happy with (Lindholm the least though). There's no guarantee the player you want will be there if you trade down.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
While I agree, if you can parlay this asset into a more valuable asset (getting more picks or prospects or young top 4 guy) then you have to explore it. But I again question if JR fully comprehends HOW to trade down as he has never done it before. We can still get a quality NHL'er at 11 or 12. Who knows...maybe Domi will end up being better than Monahan. This is the risk any draft presents.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
So Garrioch states he's heard we like nurse, at 5. Good thing this guy gets nothing right.

We are all over the trade rumors. I read Brendan smith and detroits 18 for our 5th. Don't like that.

everywhere these guys and gals are stating stuff. little that i've read has come true and most of it is just wild arse speculation and made up **** based on imaginary "sources claim".

speaking of these beat writers or the media without saying what i assume most think in general, and with no offense to those that aspire to pursue sports writing, it must sure be a relief for alot of players to play for a team like carolina. jordan got out of the zoo that is in pittsburgh and semin, washington finally.

semin especially may have settled for any reasonable deal to elude that persistent hell he was constantly exposed to (maybe it's why an extention was struck so quickly because he made it clear that he had no interest in chasing the open market for the highest bidder). could be why he didn't push for a nmc of any kind and took a chance. it's pretty clear he's happy here and must feel very confident being that he just recently bought a new home. makes me think that he must have had a talk with jr prior to taking that step.

one would think that while some guys revel in the attention, most would be very content to avoid it altogether. really, what better place to play and live? it may well be a drawing card for some players particularly the europeans if this franchise was so inclined to hire them.

which brings me back to nurse in a round about way. from what i have gathered he may just be jr's kind of guy and as it's obviously a pet peeve of mine, i have the feeling that we won't see jr draft any of the europeans even if barkov or nichushkin are still on the board and opt instead for monahan as has been mentioned for example.

then again this is just my opinion and total wild arse speculation.;)

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
He mentioned the European players as NHL ready because they were playing against men already. Nurse Is not a typical JR pick and I have doubt he would draft a defenseman

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
He mentioned the European players as NHL ready because they were playing against men already. Nurse Is not a typical JR pick and I have doubt he would draft a defenseman

yeah you're right they would logically be the most ready but that has been said about all the top guys by most analysts. my rant was really a long way of getting in my opinion a little and basically saying that i really don't have any idea what he'll do.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Agreed. If the rumor were JR and Ristolainen (sp?) I'd say it's more likely to be true. JR picking Nurse just doesn't make sense.

I like the ideas around moving from 5 to 7 with Edmonton, but nothing beyond that. Preserving the guarantee of one of the 3 NovaCane mentions and picking up another pick would be a good move.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Word out of Edmonton is that EDM and Carolina are talking about swapping picks. We would then take Nurse or Risto at the #7. But we may not get the 37 but the 56, the 2nd rounder EDM got from Anaheim.

While I wouldn't mind this, we could do better..... I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 37 for dropping down 2 spots. And we should look Lindholm at the 7.

But I keep noticing that Nurse keeps getting attached to us.....hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
Word out of Edmonton is that EDM and Carolina are talking about swapping picks. We would then take Nurse or Risto at the #7. But we may not get the 37 but the 56, the 2nd rounder EDM got from Anaheim.

While I wouldn't mind this, we could do better..... I wouldn't settle for anything less than the 37 for dropping down 2 spots. And we should look Lindholm at the 7.

But I keep noticing that Nurse keeps getting attached to us.....hmmmmmmmmmmm...

I hope "word out of Edmonton" is JRs tactic of scaring Calgary into giving up their 28th pick to get their guy.

If JR takes Nurse I will be very, very unhappy. Don't see it happening though.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I hope "word out of Edmonton" is JRs tactic of scaring Calgary into giving up their 28th pick to get their guy.

If JR takes Nurse I will be very, very unhappy. Don't see it happening though.

Oh hell yes to this happening. We should definitely use the Alberta rivalry to our advantage. JR should inflict maximum pain to give up this coveted spot. (but he won't)

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
If we can pick up the 28th and move down 1 spot.

Then draft BPA at 6, trade our 35th and Dalpe for Clutterbuck.

Maybe land Santini at 28th.

I wouldn't trade our 2nd for Clutterbuck, there are some legit top-4+ potential D candidates there.

Feaster is on an all-weekend drinking binge according to his last trade, an extra 1st to move up one spot wouldn't shock me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad