2013 CIS Playoffs

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I would think UNB still has a chance to be No. 1 but the V-Reds would have to either sweep or take the AUS series 3-1. They can't afford more than 1 loss.

You are right they can't afford more than one loss...since that would mean they would have lost the series. The AUS Finals is only a best-of-3 this year.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I couldn't find it listed, but is the OUA holding a bronze medal game again this year? I know they did last year, but there is nothing on their website mentioning this for this year.

Also, does anyone have any idea why the Queen's Cup is a single game and not Best of 3? I know traditionally it was done this way, but still seems weird to make them fight through Best of 3 series to get there and then end it with a single game.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I couldn't find it listed, but is the OUA holding a bronze medal game again this year? I know they did last year, but there is nothing on their website mentioning this for this year.

Also, does anyone have any idea why the Queen's Cup is a single game and not Best of 3? I know traditionally it was done this way, but still seems weird to make them fight through Best of 3 series to get there and then end it with a single game.

Only had the 3rd place game due to the OUA having the wild card bid for nationals. And it's only one game for a few reasons. If they had a series, the OUA would have 4 rounds of playoffs opposed to the 2 or 3 the other 2 conferences. 2nd is money and travel. 3rd is that the Quebec teams are "guests" in the OUA and they will never have a Queen's Cup game in the Quebec Province. Thats why Waterloo is hosting the game even though overall they finished 16 points behind UQTR/

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Only had the 3rd place game due to the OUA having the wild card bid for nationals. And it's only one game for a few reasons. If they had a series, the OUA would have 4 rounds of playoffs opposed to the 2 or 3 the other 2 conferences. 2nd is money and travel. 3rd is that the Quebec teams are "guests" in the OUA and they will never have a Queen's Cup game in the Quebec Province. Thats why Waterloo is hosting the game even though overall they finished 16 points behind UQTR/

and both teams are guaranteed to go to Nationals for the bigger prize.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

I didn't realize the Bronze Medal Game last year was solely due to the Wildcard. I assumed it was just a quirky thing the OUA does.

I get the first part of it, though the playoffs could be shrunk if they wanted to do this. However, beyond the cost of a hotel room and meals for an extra night, I'm not sure I see money and travel being an issue. UQTR still has to come to Waterloo, what's playing potentially two more games?

On the third point, isn't the conference set up that it wouldn't be Quebec vs. Quebec in the finals? Thus, if they followed Canada West's format where the series is all in one location, this wouldn't be an issue.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I get the first part of it, though the playoffs could be shrunk if they wanted to do this. However, beyond the cost of a hotel room and meals for an extra night, I'm not sure I see money and travel being an issue. UQTR still has to come to Waterloo, what's playing potentially two more games?

On the third point, isn't the conference set up that it wouldn't be Quebec vs. Quebec in the finals? Thus, if they followed Canada West's format where the series is all in one location, this wouldn't be an issue.

I know with us at RMC just closing out the season our budget gets tighter and tighter so if you are a team going to nationals, it gets even more tighter. Plus using a CW format for the Queen's Cup, imagine you are a team member of the Quebec teams and you end up first place in the OUA, and you DON'T even get a home game in a series, is tough. One game is more than enough.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007

Right now the minimum games an OUA Team could play to get to the Queens Cup is 7 games, the max games are 10

In the AUS the minimum would be 5 in a year where only one of the final series is best of 5 (such as this year) for a team with a first round bye, the maximum for a team with a first round bye with this seasons format would have been 8 games. For a team without a first round bye minimum would have been 7 games and the maximum would have been 11.

In an AUS Season where both the Final and Semis are best of 5's such as last year.
1st round bye minimum 6 games maximum 10 games
without a bye minimum 8 games maximum 13 games

With that said I see no big deal in the OUA to have a best of 3 Final, with the minimum games being 8 and the Maximum 12.

I don't like the fact that Q teams cannot host a Queen's Cup Game. I know it wont happen but the OUA should be devised up with one conference being the OUA and the other being maybe an Eastern conference or Quebec-Ontario Conference involving the Quebec Schools and close to the border schools like Ottawa etc, Entirely Separate Leagues, no more cross conference play

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Right now the minimum games an OUA Team could play to get to the Queens Cup is 7 games, the max games are 10

In the AUS the minimum would be 5 in a year where only one of the final series is best of 5 (such as this year) for a team with a first round bye, the maximum for a team with a first round bye with this seasons format would have been 8 games. For a team without a first round bye minimum would have been 7 games and the maximum would have been 11.

In an AUS Season where both the Final and Semis are best of 5's such as last year.
1st round bye minimum 6 games maximum 10 games
without a bye minimum 8 games maximum 13 games

With that said I see no big deal in the OUA to have a best of 3 Final, with the minimum games being 8 and the Maximum 12.

I don't like the fact that Q teams cannot host a Queen's Cup Game. I know it wont happen but the OUA should be devised up with one conference being the OUA and the other being maybe an Eastern conference or Quebec-Ontario Conference involving the Quebec Schools and close to the border schools like Ottawa etc, Entirely Separate Leagues, no more cross conference play

The Quebec-Ontario conference is kind of what the RSEQ does in womens hockey - a league of Quebec teams, plus the two Ottawa schools. I just dont see RSEQ having any interest in Men's hockey, nor would the OUA want to lose the Quebec schools - specifically McGill, the first ever winner of the Queen's Cup.

I really think the one-game format has more to do with two Uni Cup berths than with anything else. Just a guess though.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon

At one point, football used to be separated this way. The old OQIFC used to have Carleton, Ottawa and Queen's along with Concordia, McGill and Bishop's. So there is some precedent for it, but I'm not sure the OUA will go for that.

I've often wondered why Quebec schools are less embracing of University sport? This isn't a hockey only issue, football used to have the same problem. As I mentioned above the reason the OQIFC existed is that Quebec only had the three English schools playing. It wasn't until football saw a resurgence in Quebec with the arrival of the Alouettes and Laval took off.

Seems post-junior hockey is dying off in Quebec. I mean there are very few CIS teams and no AAA senior teams that plays in the Allan Cup. About the only option (which I'm guessing isn't for most who'd play CIS/AAA Senior) is the LNAH.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Any predictions on the Queen's Cup? I have to admit, I have been a UQTR doubter all year - felt they were over ranked, but here they are. I predict one of two scenarios: Uqtr score a bunch early and coasts to a win, or Hartigan stands on his head and Waterloo wins a close one.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Any predictions on the Queen's Cup? I have to admit, I have been a UQTR doubter all year - felt they were over ranked, but here they are. I predict one of two scenarios: Uqtr score a bunch early and coasts to a win, or Hartigan stands on his head and Waterloo wins a close one.

I have an admitted Bias, but if Waterloo scores the first goal, UQTR could be rattled. The barn is small, packed, and unbelievably loud - some Warriors with Mem cup experience say its the best atmosphere they've played in.

Having said that, Hartigan will again be a key. When Waterloo beat UQTR back in Nov, he was unreal. He will have to be as good for the Warriors tonight.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Warriors

There is an article in the Saskatoon star Pheonix today, on the Waterloo Warriors path to the University cup. Young team that has knocked off the top 3 seeds in the OUA west, including #3 Western Mustangs.
Friday featured the Alberta Golden Bears quest for the cup. According to Ian Herbers, they seem to have a deeper commitment and a high energy work ethic as a group and a little deeper in overall depth vs Eric Thurston's recent teams. They sound like a hard working group, that likes to roll 4 lines.
I have also read recently, that they don't match lines. Usually teams will match or double shift their top players at this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->