2013 CIS Playoffs

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
This game reminds me a lot of last night, with the territorial advantage UNB had. Both teams playing it safe and the odd flurry with a scoring chance. It may come down to a broken play and a weak goal. Or whichever team collapses from hunger....

Edit: The freezing is a bit annoying

. . . Very annoying. Often with "live streaming" you are up s--- creek without a paddle.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
The Warriors last made nationals in 1995-96, which was also their last Queen's Cup title. The only national title Waterloo ever won was in 1974.

They played Acadia in that 96 final. Acadia was up early, led by the big line of big Jason Weaver a freight train who also led the league in scoring that year, sort of like Bloodoff, only faster and meaner), Wade Whitten and Greg Clancy, think it was 3-0. Waterloo came back in the 3rd with two goals, it remained close and Acadia held on for their second national title. THat was the year Tom Coolen went on sabbatical, Mark Hanneman, the immortal Mike Alcoe ( still there ) and Darren Burns now head coach, coached.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This game reminds me a lot of last night, with the territorial advantage UNB had. Both teams playing it safe and the odd flurry with a scoring chance. It may come down to a broken play and a weak goal. Or whichever team collapses from hunger....

Yup...UQTR is starting to control things. It seems like only a matter of time before they get one.

thook

Jan 9, 2010

Mores than a bit!:help:

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
UQTR hangs on to win 2-1 in 4OT over Carleton, which got out-shot 63-46 overall and 38-17 in OT alone.
Most interesting thing to me is the Three Star selection. Ryan Dube makes 61 saves, keeps his team alive time and time again, and doesn't get a star. All three stars are from UQTR. You've got to be kidding.
Should we be surprised?

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
UQTR hangs on to win 2-1 in 4OT over Carleton, which got out-shot 63-46 overall and 38-17 in OT alone.
Most interesting thing to me is the Three Star selection. Ryan Dube makes 61 saves, keeps his team alive time and time again, and doesn't get a star. All three stars are from UQTR. You've got to be kidding.
Should we be surprised?
Gotta agree with you. I don't know who picks the stars at UQTR games, but Dube should have been 1st or 2nd.

I'm the one describing the game. You guys say the image froze during the game ? At what point exactly ?

I guess doing a 4 and a half hour game is tough for the internet connection... and my voice !

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm the one describing the game. You guys say the image froze during the game ? At what point exactly ?

I guess doing a 4 and a half hour game is tough for the internet connection... and my voice !

It froze up randomly every once in a while...mainly in the OT's...it was perfectly fine for the first part of the game. I figured maybe it was because of the increased traffic??

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
It froze up randomly every once in a while...mainly in the OT's...it was perfectly fine for the first part of the game. I figured maybe it was because of the increased traffic??

Makes sense. We've had trouble all year long, but this is the second game everything worked perfectly (at least on our side). And it lasted 2 games in one !

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Gotta agree with you. I don't know who picks the stars at UQTR games, but Dube should have been 1st or 2nd.

No big deal. UNB does the same thing.

Nice to know.

By the way, could you describe the game winning goal? I had to leave after the third overtime.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
No big deal. UNB does the same thing.

Nice to know.

By the way, could you describe the game winning goal? I had to leave after the third overtime.

Morin cut the pass at the blue line, got a bit inside the zone and went with a wrister that beat Dube. Not a great play, but a typical overtime goal. Dube had been awesome so far, but one had to go in.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Dutch: Just wanted to say that you guys do a great job of the play by play at UQTR, not just in today's game but I've heard you call at least half a dozen this season. I hope that you can find a way to make it a decent paying career.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Regarding the Critchlow hit....if he is suspended for it how would that impact things going forward, given that he was also suspended for a game in the PEI series?

If the AUS decides that Critchlow's hit is "predatory", as Trevor Stienberg described it, and you add in the fact that Critch had that blow to the head major vs. UPEI, my gut feeling is that you can presume that Cam will be a tourist in Saskatoon.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I agree with that. After Phil Currie's travelling Roadshow this year preaching about concussions and headshots ( and the 12 games to Wilgosh ), it's not hard to imagine a severe suspension.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
SEEDING FOR THE UCUP

i am a little confused based on the top ten rankings switch last week.
Alberta Sweeps Calgary and UNB loses one to PEI yet win the playoff round or AUS semis...and the CIS Top 10 switches the 1 and 2 spots.
ie Alberta moves to #1 and UNB drops to #2
so can one assume that if UNB seeps St Marys and Alberta got taken to three versus SAsk that the geniuses on this board or committee will switch the top tens again?
this has a significant in pact on the pools for each team don't ya think. At least based on what I have been reading on the CIS discussion blog. #2 gets one other division champ and #1 gets the fair play participants!?
anyone know or willing to make a prediction. I just think it is weird how that went last week and nobody *****ed? am i missing something here freddy? your a top ten guy help my confusion please!

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
MikeAndYourself, If you're stereotyping CIS top 10 voters, the trends seems to be that when two teams are considered fairly equal, the one that loses a game that week (and is doesn't seem to matter to who or home or on the road) drops a spot, or switches places with the other. Even if the other team isn't playing that week due to a bye, the team that loses a game will slip a spot or two. Just the way the voting seems to go. Not rationalizing it or condoning, or saying how I vote; just pointing out what usually happens.

It will be interesting to see how this week's voting goes. UNB won against UPEI on Monday and Tuesday, and Saturday night in double-OT vs SMU. But no losses. Alberta dropped an OT game to Saskatchewan, but won the other two quite handily on the weekend. By the logic expressed in the first paragraph, UNB and Alberta might/should swap the #1 and #2 spot this week.

And yes, in the University Cup pool seedings, #1 seed is in one pool and #2 and #3 (the other two conference champs) are in the other pool. So lots on the line.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
MikeAndYourself, If you're stereotyping CIS top 10 voters, the trends seems to be that when two teams are considered fairly equal, the one that loses a game that week (and is doesn't seem to matter to who or home or on the road) drops a spot, or switches places with the other. Even if the other team isn't playing that week due to a bye, the team that loses a game will slip a spot or two. Just the way the voting seems to go. Not rationalizing it or condoning, or saying how I vote; just pointing out what usually happens.

It will be interesting to see how this week's voting goes. UNB won against UPEI on Monday and Tuesday, and Saturday night in double-OT vs SMU. But no losses. Alberta dropped an OT game to Saskatchewan, but won the other two quite handily on the weekend. By the logic expressed in the first paragraph, UNB and Alberta might/should swap the #1 and #2 spot this week.

And yes, in the University Cup pool seedings, #1 seed is in one pool and #2 and #3 (the other two conference champs) are in the other pool. So lots on the line.

sorry boys i posted this over on holleywood3's site as well. Apparently that is not good ! my bad
Fred your the only guy on the top 10 group i am aware of. u said u were, trust me it is a feather in ones cap i think you have tremendous knowledge of the cis! so i asked.
It just seemed a little unusal to drop UNB a spot because UPEI put up a fight!? and who is to say Calgary didnt. U of A statistician stats are not reliable!
All games in Alberta's building, UNB goes back and forth....that is a huge factor. so my question is if UNB sweeps the AUS Huskies........what can we expect to see with the top 10 this week. Are wins and losses in a series the only consideration or do you factor in shots on goal, game summaries etc. Just curious! As i have always preferred Holly"s top 35 because it factors in wins and losses and who played who given their position in league standing. Anyways i thought this was a legit question. Mike and I

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
sorry boys i posted this over on holleywood3's site as well. Apparently that is not good ! my bad
Fred your the only guy on the top 10 group i am aware of. u said u were, trust me it is a feather in ones cap i think you have tremendous knowledge of the cis! so i asked.
It just seemed a little unusal to drop UNB a spot because UPEI put up a fight!? and who is to say Calgary didnt. U of A statistician stats are not reliable!
All games in Alberta's building, UNB goes back and forth....that is a huge factor. so my question is if UNB sweeps the AUS Huskies........what can we expect to see with the top 10 this week. Are wins and losses in a series the only consideration or do you factor in shots on goal, game summaries etc. Just curious! As i have always preferred Holly"s top 35 because it factors in wins and losses and who played who given their position in league standing. Anyways i thought this was a legit question. Mike and I

I try to look at every possible variable and stat, including game summaries (particularly shots, who is on the road, penalties, etc.), with an admitted "conference bias" based on teams' performances at Nationals or in exhibition games out of conference (which are almost always in the fall, so as the season goes on that means less). My methodology is I guess similar to Holly's, but I don't do the A-B-C-D thing and I have other modifiers.

In fewer words, every time I vote I pretend Nationals is next week and try to determine/guess how each team would do.

Basically every voter has their own secret sauce (and some appear to only look at a team's record and the standings). We're not told by the CIS "how" to vote. I know Bruce Hallihan from the Daily Gleaner has a similar methodology to mine, but we don't compare notes very often, and not before voting.

Voters don't see each other's votes. We're all emailed the same basic stats and it is up to each voter to look for game summaries, etc.

The voting closes at 5:00 today, to be announced tomorrow, so the last two UNB games at UPEI and Saturday vs. SMU would "count" whereas all three Alberta-Sask games count.

The final poll is Saturday after the OUA championship is decided at the Queen's Cup (and the UNB-SMU series will be finished by Thursday at the latest). If UNB was to sweep SMU it might enhance their chances at taking #1 away from Alberta, but I'd hate to have to put money on it.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
#1 ranking

UNB needed to win 3 games, winning twice and finishing off UPEI, on enemy ice by large scores.
Since then, Alberta wins twice and loses once to Saskatchewan. All of Alberta's games are played at home. I would think that UNB regains first.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB needed to win 3 games, winning twice and finishing off UPEI, on enemy ice by large scores.
Since then, Alberta wins twice and loses once to Saskatchewan. All of Alberta's games are played at home. I would think that UNB regains first.

Unfortunately, I get the feeling a lot of voters will only look at the fact that Alberta ultimately won the series (regardless of how the series went), and allow them to maintain #1. When they voted last week UNB/UPEI were 1-1 and it was still up in the the air how the series would turn out. Now, if UNB had dropped a game but then wrapped up the series before the voting I think they would have kept #1. It may be unfair but that is how I think it turns out.

It will be interesting though. It basically comes down to....does beating a top 5 team twice pretty easily + losing to a top 5 team in OT with all 3 games at home < beating a top 10 team twice pretty easily on the road + beating a top 3 team in OT at home.

Last edited:

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
realistically what happens in the rankings tomorrow and saturday is kinda irrelevant as far as UNB is concerned, If they win the AUS Title, they are with Saskatchewan Regardless if they are ranked 1 or 2. Same thing if SMU wins the AUS they are in with Saskatchewan Regardless, losing team is with Alberta.

the Only difference is which OUA team will play with them, and I really dont think the difference between UQTR and Waterloo is enough to hope to play one over the other.

One could Argue losing the AUS Title May not be such a Bad thing, cause you get the afternoon pool and more rest if you make the Championchip vs the Night Pool Winner

Should be an interesting tournament I dont know how UNB and St Marys will stack up vs Alberta and Saskatchewan. UNB has kinda dominated UQTR anytime they play them even when UQTR won the semi vs UNB in 2003 shots favoured UNB 57-24. But Im not taking them or waterloo for granted after the Western Incident last year.

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Right...if SMU takes the AUS I can't see them leapfrogging past Alberta...but if UNB wins the AUS in two straight there is a decent chance they move back to #1. And the OUA champ will almost certainly be #3.

I would think UNB still has a chance to be No. 1, even with one loss to St. .Mary's. UNB's loss to PEI was likely already factored in last week's rankings. Now Alberta also has a loss, also on home ice, so now we wait to see what happens for the rest of this week.
All three CW final games for the Bears were on home ice, but UNB doesn't have the same advantage in the AUS so one could also take that in account.
Again, a lot can happen yet in terms of rankings and seedings. No sense getting worked up over it quite yet.
What if St. Mary's and UQTR both won this week? Could you see UQTR seeded ahead of St. Mary's? That's yet another possibility. That would leave Alberta with UNB and Waterloo in one pool, UQTR, St. Mary's and Sask in another.
Also, if St. Mary's and Waterloo went on to win their respective AUS and OUA titles, we would see Alberta, UNB and UQTR in one pool and St. Mary's, Waterloo and Sask. in the other. Right?
Still lots of possibilities. A lot depends on whether UNB or St. Mary's wins the AUS and, if UNB does, by how much. We know Alberta and Sask. won't be in the same pool and neither will UNB and St. Mary's. Ditto for UQTR and Waterloo. Right now, that's all we know.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I would think UNB still has a chance to be No. 1 but the V-Reds would have to either sweep or take the AUS series 3-1. They can't afford more than 1 loss. UNB's loss to PEI was likely already factored in last week's rankings. Now Alberta also has a loss, also on home ice, so now we wait to see what happens for the rest of this week.
All three CW final games for the Bears were on home ice, but UNB doesn't have the same advantage in the AUS so one could also take that in account.
Again, a lot can happen yet in terms of rankings and seedings. No sense getting worked up over it quite yet.
What if St. Mary's and UQTR both won this week? Could you see UQTR seeded ahead of St. Mary's? That's yet another possibility. That would leave Alberta with UNB and Waterloo in one pool, UQTR, St. Mary's and Sask in another.
Also, if St. Mary's and Waterloo went on to win their respective AUS and OUA titles, we would see Alberta, UNB and UQTR in one pool and St. Mary's, Waterloo and Sask. in the other. Right?
Still lots of possibilities. A lot depends on whether UNB or St. Mary's wins the AUS and, if UNB does, by how much. We know Alberta and Sask. won't be in the same pool and neither will UNB and St. Mary's. Ditto for UQTR and Waterloo. Right now, that's all we know.

any injuries from that series?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad