2013-2014 Key year in Jets progression.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
In my mind, there is absolutely zero chance that the Jets organization buys out a newly signed multi year contract sixty games after they signed it. None whatsoever.

It wouldn't be 60 games it would be 130 and Pav should start almost 100 of those, possibly more if the team makes the playoffs.

Another hundred starts will be plenty of time to determine if the contract is a good one. Maybe he proves himself, maybe he doesn't, but if Pavi can't find consistency by the time he is 27 I doubt he ever will.

If he falters and the Jets ignore it they could end up paying a backup $4,750, 000 as a backup. All options should be weighed at all times.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
I'd like to see a healthy Fehr return, Winnipeg is all about second chances isn't it? and if he can make an impact by throwing his weight around he can make chances Wellwood would need to exploit!

jiho

Apr 30, 2012
I'd like to see a healthy Fehr return, Winnipeg is all about second chances isn't it? and if he can make an impact by throwing his weight around he can make chances Wellwood would need to exploit!

I like Eric Fehr as much as I like Donald Fehr.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Before everybody gets hyped up about Fehr's performance in Europe...
  • It's lower calibre hockey than the NHL
  • It's a different game
The "different game" aspect cannot be over-emphasized. On the wider IIHF rinks, players like Burmistrov and Stapleton shine. Here, in the NHL, they get steamrollered by big lugs, because they have no room to maneuver. The best analogue I can think of is NFL versus CFL. In the NFL, your bread-n-butter is the big fullback going up centre for 3 or 4 yards every play. In the CFL, the wider field and fewer downs encourages passing and sweeps, and lighter, faster players.

IIHF and NHL emphasize different skill sets. A player can excel at one, and flop at the other.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Before everybody gets hyped up about Fehr's performance in Europe...
  • It's lower calibre hockey than the NHL
  • It's a different game
The "different game" aspect cannot be over-emphasized. On the wider IIHF rinks, players like Burmistrov and Stapleton shine. Here, in the NHL, they get steamrollered by big lugs, because they have no room to maneuver. The best analogue I can think of is NFL versus CFL. In the NFL, your bread-n-butter is the big fullback going up centre for 3 or 4 yards every play. In the CFL, the wider field and fewer downs encourages passing and sweeps, and lighter, faster players.

IIHF and NHL emphasize different skill sets. A player can excel at one, and flop at the other.

I agree, take his Euro results with a grain of salt...
... but he's got some decent NHL years too. He's scored at a decent rate between 1.32 (2008) and 2.18 (2010) points per 60 mins of ice-time while playing medium tough minutes. To compare Little was 1.53 points per 60 mins, Ladd was 1.77 per 60 mins and Wheeler was 2.05 per 60 mins... and under similar conditions (but far greater ice-time per a game and games per a season).

His 2009-10 season was overly padded by good luck with a super high shooting percentage, so I don't really think of that as him... Just like I don't think his bad year last season is truly him.

His chronic injury problem is a concern however, but irregardless, he is an upgrade over many players on our team if he gets back to form.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
and that's why we should invite him to camp and give him a TC! (IF he takes it instead of a good season in Finnland)

A healthy and self-confident Eric Fehr is one of the best 4th line players you can get.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It wouldn't be 60 games it would be 130 and Pav should start almost 100 of those, possibly more if the team makes the playoffs.

Another hundred starts will be plenty of time to determine if the contract is a good one. Maybe he proves himself, maybe he doesn't, but if Pavi can't find consistency by the time he is 27 I doubt he ever will.

If he falters and the Jets ignore it they could end up paying a backup $4,750, 000 as a backup. All options should be weighed at all times.

No it would be 60 games. By all accounts the buyouts will be 'for' the 2013-14 season, taking place this coming summer.

The Jets aren't going to pay out somewhere between 66.7-100% of that contract to watch him play somewhere else for four years. It's not going to happen.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I totally agree. It would be a fantastic story if the local boy resurrect his career here.

If his shoulder is 100% he could really chip in some important offense for us.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
No it would be 60 games. By all accounts the buyouts will be 'for' the 2013-14 season, taking place this coming summer.

The Jets aren't going to pay out somewhere between 66.7-100% of that contract to watch him play somewhere else for four years. It's not going to happen.

My comment was under working under the premise that they buyout could be used in either of the next two offseasons. Some reported this to be the case although I have heard nothing concrete either way.

I was not suggesting they cut him after 48 games, I was suggesting two bad seasons would be enough to make a proper judgement. If he isn't the starter at that point they would be stupid to ignore it as an option.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My comment was under working under the premise that they buyout could be used in either of the next two offseasons. Some reported this to be the case although I have heard nothing concrete either way.

I was not suggesting they cut him after 48 games, I was suggesting two bad seasons would be enough to make a proper judgement. If he isn't the starter at that point they would be stupid to ignore it as an option.

Agree. Trade for Luongo!

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Agree. Trade for Luongo!

i'd actually love to have luongo on this team. i'm sure we don't have the pieces to get him and i'm certainly not convinced he'd waive for us.

otherwise i'd love to have luo, not only is he a fantastic goaly, but his tweets are smart and sassy.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
i'd actually love to have luongo on this team. i'm sure we don't have the pieces to get him and i'm certainly not convinced he'd waive for us.

otherwise i'd love to have luo, not only is he a fantastic goaly, but his tweets are smart and sassy.

He is THE best hockey player on Twitter.

All Lu all day!!

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't know that he wouldn't waive for us. He's openly stated that he won't block a trade. MG will gather all of his offers and go to Lu with th best ones. Lets pretend it's us. Lu would probably meet with the ownership, coach and GM and get a feel for how the team is run and where the team is headed...if that all sounds good to him, he'll accept the trade.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

This is what I was referring to:

Amnesty or compliance buy-outs as we all know are not available this season but available in both 2012/13 & 2013/14. 2 maximum.....lots more

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/status/288388461189267457

He has tweeted some other interesting stuff too:

Interesting details in this CBA that have not been elaborated on fully ...clubs can trade 50% of up to 3 contracts, not to exceed 15% of the max salary cap limit. This will get the math geeks working overtime. Use Van as and example and come up with some scenarios!!!

Amnesty or compliance buy-outs as we all know are not available this season but available in both 2012/13 & 2013/14. 2 maximum

I am told that contract variability rules will apply differently to both front loaded and back end loaded contracts.....each spec defined

Note the extra year for compliance buy-outs will count 100% against the players share but 0 against the teams cap!

$375,000 + minimum NHL salary appears to be the magic number for counting (Wade Redden rule) salaries against a teams cap even if AHL/Europe

Keep in mind that the NHL minimum salary chart has been negotiated and defined already for the next 10 years. Expect numbers to be out......

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
This is what I was referring to:

Amnesty or compliance buy-outs as we all know are not available this season but available in both 2012/13 & 2013/14. 2 maximum.....lots more

https://twitter.com/brianlawton9/status/288388461189267457

He has tweeted some other interesting stuff too:

Regardless, the Jets gain nothing but cap space. They'll still be paying a large portion (if not all) of the contract's total dollars. They won't cut him a cheque to watch him play somewhere else, and spend $4m more on another goalie.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Regardless, the Jets gain nothing but cap space. They'll still be paying a large portion (if not all) of the contract's total dollars. They won't cut him a cheque to watch him play somewhere else, and spend $4m more on another goalie.

I highly doubt that True North Sports Entertainment is that stubborn.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I highly doubt that True North Sports Entertainment is that stubborn.

Your definition of stubborn seems a little funny.

TNSE is a financially responsible organization who I believe will fulfill the commitments they make to their players. I don't consider that stubborn.

This is a silly discussion to be even having. Pavelec is not going to be bought out. Chevaldayoff is not going to buy out any of the contracts he has signed. Unless he acquires a bad contract, the team will not be cutting loose any of it's players. This amnesty buyout is meant for albatross contracts that teams need to shed for the sole purpose of clearing cap space.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Your definition of stubborn seems a little funny.

TNSE is a financially responsible organization who I believe will fulfill the commitments they make to their players. I don't consider that stubborn.

This is a silly discussion to be even having. Pavelec is not going to be bought out. Chevaldayoff is not going to buy out any of the contracts he has signed. Unless he acquires a bad contract, the team will not be cutting loose any of it's players. This amnesty buyout is meant for albatross contracts that teams need to shed for the sole purpose of clearing cap space.
Would a $4 Million dollar back-up goalie not be an albatross?

Not saying it will happen, but anything could in 2 years. Same would apply if any other long term deal began to look really bad.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Would a $4 Million dollar back-up goalie not be an albatross?

Not saying it will happen, but anything could in 2 years. Same would apply if any other long term deal began to look really bad.

Question: Let's say Pavs is bought out. How does the buyout math work? Because if the Jets are still on the hook for say 2 million or so for a few years, and then they have to pay someone else 1 or 2 million to be the backup, aren't we paying the same overall in the end?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Question: Let's say Pavs is bought out. How does the buyout math work? Because if the Jets are still on the hook for say 2 million or so for a few years, and then they have to pay someone else 1 or 2 million to be the backup, aren't we paying the same overall in the end?

Yeah. They would be on the hook to pay 2/3 of the dollars that are due, but it wouldn't count against the cap. Other contracts and salaries relative to the cap would matter too.

If the cap isn't an issue, buyouts shouldn't be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad