2013-2014 Key year in Jets progression.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
So forget about the rest of this year. The cap for next year is 44mil floor 64.3 mil ceiling.

There is going to be a ton of teams that are going to have trouble making it under that 64.3 cap. Think Chicago after they won the cup a few years back and they had to trade almost all the 3rd and 4th lines because they couldn't afford them.

Now Winnipeg is going to have 9 players signed and have just over 33 million dollars committed. We know they have alot of draft picks this coming draft, 6 I think in the first 3 rounds. So now this is going to be a pivotal time to build the team TN wants.

Kane, Evander $5,250,000
Jokinen, Olli $4,500,000
Ladd, Andrew $4,400,000
Antropov, Nik UFA
Wheeler, Blake RFA
Little, Bryan RFA
Ponikarovsky, A.UFA
Slater, Jim $1,600,000
Wellwood, Kyle UFA
Burmistrov, A. RFA
Miettinen, Antti UFA
Thorburn, Chris $866,667
Cormier, Patrice RFA
Machacek, Spencer RFA

Byfuglien, Dustin $5,200,000
Hainsey, Ron UFA
Enstrom, Tobias $5,750,000
Bogosian, Zach RFA
Stuart, Mark $1,700,000
Clitsome, Grant UFA
Postma, Paul RFA

Pavelec, Ondrej $3,900,000
Montoya, Al UFA

I think you have to assume Schiefele is with the team next year for sure. Trouba will probably be another year away. I think you have to sign Bogo and Wheeler.

Who do you want to see come to Winnipeg? I think we will be seeing alot of trades between now and the beginning of next season.

Is Little and Burmi expendible? You do have Jokinen and Schiefele as 1/2

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Burmi with either earn a big raise or resign on the cheap. If he only gets the minimum raise he will be great value.

Not to mention the lack of pending graduate s in the system. Jets can't get better by letting him or Little walk.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Burmi with either earn a big raise or resign on the cheap. If he only gets the minimum raise he will be great value.

Not to mention the lack of pending graduate s in the system. Jets can't get better by letting him or Little walk.

He won't be in line for much of a raise from his rookie deal. $1-2M per.

Makes me think he might bolt for the KHL. Hopefully not, but wouldn't surprise me.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
I think they'll deal Antropov at the deadline for as high of a pick as they can get for him. Retaining the RFAs needs to be a huge priority for the offseason as they play big parts in the future.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He won't be in line for much of a raise from his rookie deal. $1-2M per.

Makes me think he might bolt for the KHL. Hopefully not, but wouldn't surprise me.

Unless Burmi knocks it out of the park this season, I can see him getting a two year show us what you can do contract at less than 2 M per year.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think they'll deal Antropov at the deadline for as high of a pick as they can get for him. Retaining the RFAs needs to be a huge priority for the offseason as they play big parts in the future.

Unless the Jets are REAL bottom feeders, in a shortened season where anything can happen... unlikely. They keep Antro until the end of the season, and may even offer him a 1.5-1.8 contract for a one or two year extension... similar to Ponikarovsky.

Unless Burmi knocks it out of the park this season, I can see him getting a two year show us what you can do contract at less than 2 M per year.

Under the same cap as before maybe ~2 but with lower cap I could even see even 1.8-1.9 for 2 years

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think Burmi gets the old 2yr prove it/bridge contract. Wheeler I can see 5mx6yrs and Bogo the same as Kane. Little is probably 3.5x2 or so. For me, with the new cap, that's probably as high a I would go. The lowest I see Wheeler signing for is around 4mil, maybe 4.5. Bogo will definitely get the Kane deal I think.

Depending on how Joki does this season, I could see another 4-4.5 or something.

Hainsey is worth 3, Antro and Poni are worth 2 a piece.

Depending on our cap situation, I'd like to take a shot at Edler, given his history with this city and Vancouver may not be able to resign him. Zajac will probably be very expensive, and not mesh well TNSE's internal budget. But dare to dream, right?

After this season, I'd like to say good bye to Wellwood or see him permanently on the third line.

I could definitely see them giving Scheifele a shot to play his way into the team, bunion still believe that if he can't get top six time, he shouldn't be here. That being said, I could see them sliding Little to the wing and letting Scheifele centre the sheltered second line with Ladd and Little. I believe the top line, to start at least, will be Kane, Joki and Wheeler. When free agency hit and the panel was discussing Joki, they thought the Jets could use him. A big comparison was brought up between Iginla and Kane, and how Jokinen was very useful playing with Iggy and would be playing with Kane.

Both are shoot first players, so that's why I think Weeler would be a necessity. That leaves Ladd, Scheifele and Little on the second line. If you ask me, that's a very responsible 2way line. Very similar to Vancouver's second line, if Ladd hits 60pts(equivalent), I truly believe that he could be a Selke candidate.

For me the third line is my USSR line. Poni, Antro and Burmi. Where ever they fit.

Fourth line will probably be Machachek, Slater and Mittens/Thor...I could see both of those players going in the off season though. Whether it be free agency or a buy out.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Is Little and Burmi expendible? You do have Jokinen and Schiefele as 1/2

I don't see how these guys are expendable. Not saying we can't make a deal to improve the team, but I think we are going to need both of these guys, especially if the team is trying to build a team with multiple good scoring lines, and not a top heavy roster. Plus, both of these guys (Little and Burmi), can play centre or wing, and both play pretty good defense. Their versatility will be a huge plus in the next few years as the Jets bring along Scheifele, Telegin, and possibly whomever we draft this year (if it's a forward).

I like Sully's lineup, and it's pretty realistic IMO. Like others have speculated though, getting a guy like Zajac would be huge as well. We could probably roll 3 decent scoring lines in that case.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Unless the Jets are REAL bottom feeders, in a shortened season where anything can happen... unlikely. They keep Antro until the end of the season, and may even offer him a 1.5-1.8 contract for a one or two year extension... similar to Ponikarovsky.

Under the same cap as before maybe ~2 but with lower cap I could even see even 1.8-1.9 for 2 years
Could also depend on the farm. If somebody fights for a roster spot it could make one of Welly, Antro or Poni expendable. Scheifele making the team would do the same.

If the Jets bring back a healthy, game shape Eric Fehr and he pkays well it could give them another movable deadline piece.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I don't see how these guys are expendable. Not saying we can't make a deal to improve the team, but I think we are going to need both of these guys, especially if the team is trying to build a team with multiple good scoring lines, and not a top heavy roster. Plus, both of these guys (Little and Burmi), can play centre or wing, and both play pretty good defense. Their versatility will be a huge plus in the next few years as the Jets bring along Scheifele, Telegin, and possibly whomever we draft this year (if it's a forward).

I like Sully's lineup, and it's pretty realistic IMO. Like others have speculated though, getting a guy like Zajac would be huge as well. We could probably roll 3 decent scoring lines in that case.

I agree. Expendable is a pretty strong word when you refer to Burmi and Little. I think about Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels when it comes to Little and Burmi. They're expendable as long as something better is coming back(I can afford it as long as I'm going to see it again, if that's what you mean...one of my favourite quotes from that movie. Right up there with "guns for show, knives for a pro")

That, and Burmi is the ideal third line C for after we move on from Antro.

Jokinen was only ever a temporary solution.

Lets pretend Zajac hit free agency. My bet is that he could command as much as 6m. I'm not sure if that would fit with the internal budget that the Jets have.

If TZ was going to sign here, I would think it would have to be at a discount.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I agree. Expendable is a pretty strong word when you refer to Burmi and Little. I think about Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels when it comes to Little and Burmi. They're expendable as long as something better is coming back(I can afford it as long as I'm going to see it again, if that's what you mean...one of my favourite quotes from that movie. Right up there with "guns for show, knives for a pro")

That, and Burmi is the ideal third line C for after we move on from Antro.

Jokinen was only ever a temporary solution.

Lets pretend Zajac hit free agency. My bet is that he could command as much as 6m. I'm not sure if that would fit with the internal budget that the Jets have.

If TZ was going to sign here, I would think it would have to be at a discount.

I agree... especially with that movie!!! One of my faves!

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I agree... especially with that movie!!! One of my faves!

Oh yea, it's in my top fifteen for sure.

I'd be interested to see what else the Jets will do once teams start shedding cap. Try and acquire a few maybe? This next off season and trade deadline could make us instant contenders.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If the Jets bring back a healthy, game shape Eric Fehr and he pkays well it could give them another movable deadline piece.

I was really thinking about that a lot. Fehr plays a great season in the swedish league. Maybe Romang can tell us more about the way he was doing? What kind of a role he played? :)

Assuming he did as good as his numbers tell, he reached 23 Points in 20 Games. 12 Goals 11 Assists.
If he would be the player he was before joining the Jets, he would be awesome on our fourth line.

CAN you STILL actually buy just like that a player from Europe? the SM league? Even if he has a contract for the whole season.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I was really thinking about that a lot. Fehr plays a great season in the swedish league. Maybe Romang can tell us more about the way he was doing? What kind of a role he played? :)

Assuming he did as good as his numbers tell, he reached 23 Points in 20 Games. 12 Goals 11 Assists.
If he would be the player he was before joining the Jets, he would be awesome on our fourth line.

CAN you STILL actually buy just like that a player from Europe? the SM league? Even if he has a contract for the whole season.

Dude... He's in Finland. That's NOT cool!:shakehead:sarcasm:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

His contract had an NHL out option.

If the Jets sign him, he can play here.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Re-signing Wheeler and Bogosian long term is critical in my estimation. Those two, along with Evander Kane are the cornerstones of this franchise, as far as I can tell.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The buyout thread was closed so I will bring this up here...

Apparently the buyouts can be used after this shortened season or after 2013-14.

With that in mind the only legitimate buyout candidate that I see is Ondrej Pavelec.

Pavi will be the key to this season. If he is as inconsistent this year and next I could see him getting bought out after the 2013-14 season.

Of course I hope it doesn't come to that and the same could apply to Buff, Toby or Kane if they fall apart within the next 2 seasons.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
The buyout thread was closed so I will bring this up here...

Apparently the buyouts can be used after this shortened season or after 2013-14.

With that in mind the only legitimate buyout candidate that I see is Ondrej Pavelec.

Pavi will be the key to this season. If he is as inconsistent this year and next I could see him getting bought out after the 2013-14 season.

Of course I hope it doesn't come to that and the same could apply to Buff, Toby or Kane if they fall apart within the next 2 seasons.

In my mind, there is absolutely zero chance that the Jets organization buys out a newly signed multi year contract sixty games after they signed it. None whatsoever.

Helsingin Jokerit

Mar 13, 2011
So I guess we don't have an Fehr expert around? :laugh:

He plays/played in HPK which has been one of the worst teams in FEL in recent years and the roster still is (at least on the paper) one of the worst in the league. Fehr is/was the biggest reason why HPK has been in the top half of the league this season. He has been one of the best lockout players in Finland, only Erik Karlsson has been better. Fehr played in line with Jere Sallinen (doesn't give practicaly any offensive help) and Ville Viitaluoma (who is power forward). Fehr clearly made Sallinen and Viitaluoma (who had 15 points in 55 games in SEL last season and now 32 points in 36 games) better players.

He has a nhl-clause in his contract which means that he can leave HPK if he gets an NHL contract. I think that Jets should definately sign him and give him another chance.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He plays/played in HPK which has been one of the worst teams in FEL in recent years and the roster still is (at least on the paper) one of the worst in the league. Fehr is/was the biggest reason why HPK has been in the top half of the league this season. He has been one of the best lockout players in Finland, only Erik Karlsson has been better. Fehr played in line with Jere Sallinen (doesn't give practicaly any offensive help) and Ville Viitaluoma (who is power forward). Fehr clearly made Sallinen and Viitaluoma (who had 15 points in 55 games in SEL last season and now 32 points in 36 games) better players.

He has a nhl-clause in his contract which means that he can leave HPK if he gets an NHL contract. I think that Jets should definately sign him and give him another chance.

Thanks for your input!

One question. Has he been healthy the entire season?

Helsingin Jokerit

Mar 13, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad