News Article: 2013-14 News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Or, for the conspiracy crowd, maybe no one from the Caps will talk to her anymore, or management demanded that she get kicked off the beat.

Just saying, the timing is beyond suspicious.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Or, for the conspiracy crowd, maybe no one from the Caps will talk to her anymore, or management demanded that she get kicked off the beat.

It's possible that it's the other way around - she wrote the piece after she knew she was moving on. She had four years to write it, and only did so recently.

Frankly, that seems a lot more plausible.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
She was probably blacklisted by the team for life and was smart enough to know it without being told, and is moving on.

I wonder if she had a hand in forcing change with the piece. I tend to doubt it though. Yes, George and Adam were that bad.

Let's never forget the accidental aol chat copy paste fail %20%heisnotdumbliketheothers%20% that made it onto her wapo blog. What a minx.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's possible that it's the other way around - she wrote the piece after she knew she was moving on. She had four years to write it, and only did so recently.

Frankly, that seems a lot more plausible.

I hope that's the case. It's certainly a more flattering narrative for the Caps.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
She is. Sounds like a promotion to the homepage team or something.

Yeah, I doubt it's a promotion. Probably a lateral move, especially since that position requires a different skill set than reporting. Either she didn't want to cover the beat or the Post didn't want her there - but I don't think the Caps had anything to do with it - mostly since her reports backed up sending Oates to the curb.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't think it is suspicious. Its SOP. This is when Tarik changed gigs. Its when LaConfora changed to the Redskins. Its off season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's absolutely suspicious. It was not a normal article for her, nor was it a normal offseason for the Caps.

Ted has had an adversarial relationship with the Post for years and was almost immediately posting a rebuttal to Katie's scathing indictment of Caps management. The only question in my mind is whether there was pressure for her to get off the Caps beat or if she didn't feel the need to protect her relationship with the team anymore because she knew she was moving on.

Given her history I would say it's more likely she fired off a "**** it" parting shot because she knew she was done with the Caps, and she wanted to dish some dirt on McPhee and Oates for whatever personal or professional reason. It seems like a stretch to have her suddenly become a hardnosed beat reporter clinging to a job only to have it snatched from her by an owner that only mildly protested and eventually fired the people she shined a light on anyway.

So yeah, it's suspicious. But instead of a revenge firing it's probably just a really well disguised "take this job and shove it" letter.

Liberati0n*

for her, i guess it means you stink as a sportswriter so here's a gig more in your wheelhouse.

But what are the responsibilities of a person with the title? It sounds like a promotion to me, but I don't know.

blokeyhighlander

June = :cupnana:
Oct 9, 2009
NC
What does the "homepage team" mean?

There's this: http://washpostpr.tumblr.com/post/84322491307/job-opening-homepage-editors

The Washington Post is looking for homepage editors. These are full-time positions, and we will move quickly to fill them, by hiring directly onto the second shift (4 p.m.-midnight), the overnight shift (11 p.m.-7 a.m.) or the day team. We are looking for experienced journalists with excellent news judgment. Proven Web production and communication skills and the ability to write headlines — both the muscular news headlines that have long been valued in this business, and the conversational headlines that more recently have proven to be digitally potent — are vital. The jobs require people who are comfortable with technology, effective communicators and good problem solvers. Experience as a social producer is a plus.

The overnight position, in particular, calls for an experienced editor who can be the primary editor for copy coming in from overseas. The ideal candidate for that job would also have experience editing foreign news copy.

If you are interested, please contact Ben ([email protected]), Kenisha Malcolm ([email protected]), Eric Rich ([email protected]) or Tracy Grant [email protected] by May 9.

We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.

Diversity and Inclusion is essential to The Washington Post. It stimulates innovation, business growth and the connection to our community; which in turn ensures delivery of the best content, products, and services to our consumers.

The homepage editor is essentially managing the homepage in a way that is going to maximize clicks to stories. The Post will put up some combination of their stories and click-baity stories from AP or any other news organization they have an agreement with. This person would grab any of those interesting stories and put them on the homepage attempting to keep things fresh. They may also post the "best" stories to facebook/twitter/etc. It's not a good position for someone with a passion for reporting.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"conversational headlines that more recently have proven to be digitally potent"

Translation: click bait

Halpysback*

"conversational headlines that more recently have proven to be digitally potent"

Translation: click bait

We live in a day and age where Buzzfeed, upworthy and gawker pretty much reign supreme. Clickbait is pretty much respectable journalism now.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
We live in a day and age where Buzzfeed, upworthy and gawker pretty much reign supreme. Clickbait is pretty much respectable journalism now.

It's not a matter of respectable or not. It's a must. Otherwise your homepage will regularly be your dog-in-the-yard page: not letting anyone in.

Of course there is too much when you go into tabloid territory. But to some extent, you do it or you die.

One difference between "click bait" and "conversational headline": conversational headline must make you not just click the article, but comment or share it, so either other people see it or you come back to comment section. It's a click bait, but polished to perfection.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I never played D but I know D, so I know goaltending,” Oates said.

That may be Oates best quote ever. It bears worth repeating.

I am glad to hear Prior stood firm and that they had to fire him. If Trotz can't get his guy I wonder if Holtby would prefer Prior back. Noob beatnik - go find out.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The thread seemed to imply it was more recent than that one, thus my confusion. Hardly seems like dropping the mic to me. Not really sure there's a connection, either.

It absolutely seems like dropping the mic. She's had the job for 4 years and hasn't even approached that level of journalism, criticism or exposure via WaPo outside of Insider. The story was an indictment of the Caps management unlike any other we've seen from her, or any other local journos in years. And it came less than 2 months before she left the job, which in the offseason is nothing. It reeks of someone who's had enough and/or is taking cracks she would never have taken over the previous 4 years, and leaving the position a few pay cycles later strongly suggests a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->