Not really.

Wings (Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson)
Flyers (Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds)
Devils (Henrique-Zajac-Jagr)
Penguins (J.Jokinen-Malkin-Neal)
Blues (Schwartz-Backes-Stewart)
Sharks (Marleau-Couture-Kennedy)
Canucks (Higgins-Kesler-Hansen)

Glencross is the only player on that line who would be an upgrade on some (but not many) of these guys.

Ok I see the point, but let's look at contract vs production last season. Albeit a short season, these guys played extremely well together and were very consistent outside of GlenX injury.

Of coarse they would be a third line on contending teams because they would have ample money to throw at other players to ice the other 2 lines.

It's not a top line by any stretch, but it's the best line we have. Somthing can be said about the chemistry a line has. It seems to be what the flames are looking for and preaching.....if you have 20 guys that get along, have each other's back and gel together, you will have success. No 8million dollar player is gonna win us a cup. 20 players are.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
In the offseason he said he likes Calgary and what is happening here and wants to be part of the solution. Then again so did Tanguay :laugh:

Hmmm....

Cammy is our only legit offensive star. I wouldn't be upset if he signed an extension as long as he plays well this season. It would ease the transition of having to carry the offense to the next generation.

Aug 3, 2010
Wanted to bring this back up for discussion and see what posters want to see in line combos after 20 games.

Here's my contribution (if/when all players are healthy):

Cammalleri - Stajan - Hudler
Stempniak - Colborne - Backlund
Jones - Monahan - Glencross
Baertschi - Bouma - Galiardi
Jackman/McGrattan

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Butler/Smid
Russell - Butler/Smid
O'Brien/Breen

1A Berra
1B Ramo

I really would like to see Backlund play wing for an extended period. My lines are based specifically around sparking and sustaining more offensive play.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Wanted to bring this back up for discussion and see what posters want to see in line combos after 20 games.

Here's my contribution (if/when all players are healthy):

Stempniak - Colborne - Backlund
Jones - Monahan - Glencross
Baertschi - Bouma - Galiardi
Jackman/McGrattan

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Butler/Smid
Russell - Butler/Smid
O'Brien/Breen

1A Berra
1B Ramo

I really would like to see Backlund play wing for an extended period. My lines are based specifically around sparking and sustaining more offensive play.

> baertschi
> fourth line
pick one

Baertschi - Monahan - Stempniak
Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Galiardi

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Smid - Butler

Ramo
Berra

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
When 100% healthy I would like to see

Backlund - Stajan - Hudler
GlenX - Colborne - Cammy
Sven - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Galiardi - Stempniak (ideally trade him if we ever get 100%)

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Smid - Butler

Berra
Ramo

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
When 100% healthy I would like to see

Backlund - Stajan - Hudler
GlenX - Colborne - Cammy
Sven - Monahan - Jones
Bouma - Galiardi - Stempniak (ideally trade him if we ever get 100%)

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Russell
Smid - Butler

Berra
Ramo

I like this one, but I'd swap Cammy and GlenX if we're still thinking trade Cammy.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
With everyone healthy and assuming no lineup changes, I'd like a look at:

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Hottest line from last season, would be nice to have them together again.

Cammalleri - Colborne - Hudler
Colborne wins the draws and stands in front of the net, while Hudler sets up Cammalleri for the one-timer (and vice versa)

Baertschi - Monahan - Jones
I like the idea of Jones creating room for Bart and Monahan, but I admit that as of right now, I would certainly consider sending Monahan to the World Jrs this year, let him get some jump back in his game. Backlund can keep his roster spot warm while he's away.

Bouma - Backlund - Galiardi
Sort of a "spare parts" line that would also see Jackman and McGrattan from time to time. It pains me to see Backlund there, but I don't really see a fit for him as of right now. Would definitely alternate Colborne and Backlund from time to time, depending on need.

Aug 3, 2010
> baertschi
> fourth line
pick one
It's not like he is on top of his game right now. When this roster is healthy and if Backlund is moved to wing, all of Stempniak, Hudler, Cammalleri and Backlund are better players.

Monahan's been outproducing him but he's also just on the third line. As of right now, he still needs to earn his minutes and put in more offensively because the top 6 is not some kid's playground.

Baertschi hasn't shown enough. It's clear his confidence is in bad sorts - dekes instead of shoots, shoots instead of passes, etc. His defensive game is getting better but he wasn't drafted to be a third line checking winger. I'm not saying his effort isn't there, but it's not enough.

I find many posters here all echo that "earned minutes" stuff but I can clearly see that only some enact it. The hard truth of it is, Stempniak has been playing well when healthy, Glencross was heating up before his injury, Cammalleri's been great since he came back. Backlund has shown flashes, and needs to be given a chance on the wing to find his offensive game. And all have been better than Baertschi.

Anybody listing Baertschi above the third line is basically dreaming of what could be, not what is. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet but he hasn't found the ladder that will get him there, either.

BrodieGoat

May 24, 2012
Cammalleri Monahan Glencross
Baertschi Stajan Backlund
Stempniak Colbourn Hudler
Jones Galiardi Bouma

Brodie Giordano
Wideman Smid
Russell Butler

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
With everyone healthy and assuming no lineup changes, I'd like a look at:

Glencross - Stajan - Stempniak
Hottest line from last season, would be nice to have them together again.

Cammalleri - Colborne - Hudler
Colborne wins the draws and stands in front of the net, while Hudler sets up Cammalleri for the one-timer (and vice versa)

Baertschi - Monahan - Jones
I like the idea of Jones creating room for Bart and Monahan, but I admit that as of right now, I would certainly consider sending Monahan to the World Jrs this year, let him get some jump back in his game. Backlund can keep his roster spot warm while he's away.

Bouma - Backlund - Galiardi
Sort of a "spare parts" line that would also see Jackman and McGrattan from time to time. It pains me to see Backlund there, but I don't really see a fit for him as of right now. Would definitely alternate Colborne and Backlund from time to time, depending on need.

Solid lines. I like it a lot.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Seeing as nothing really seems to match up for the Flames right now, and they have a lack of top end talent, I would try something completely different. I would have 2 #1 lines and 2#4 lines.

Line #1

Baertschi..............Monahan.............Hudler...........21 min per game
Glencross.............Stajan.................Stempniak.....21 min per game

Line #4

Bouma................Backlund..............Galiardi.........9 min per game
Jackman...............Colborne............Mcgrattan.......9 min per game

Tell the #1 lines that they will be getting big minutes every game and that they are expected to score. Tell the #4 lines that they are not getting minutes so they are expected to hit everything that moves, score every now and then, drop the gloves when ever possible AND play good defence.

Also trade Cammalleri for a HUGE futures return. (Ya, I know I am dreaming)

Obviously special teams and who is hot and who is not would have an effect on each players minutes per game but I think that in a 30 team NHL the concept of 3 solid lines with an energy line is flawed. Put your best players on the ice as much as possible. And get the most you can out of your bottom end players.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
It's not like he is on top of his game right now. When this roster is healthy and if Backlund is moved to wing, all of Stempniak, Hudler, Cammalleri and Backlund are better players.

Monahan's been outproducing him but he's also just on the third line. As of right now, he still needs to earn his minutes and put in more offensively because the top 6 is not some kid's playground.

Baertschi hasn't shown enough. It's clear his confidence is in bad sorts - dekes instead of shoots, shoots instead of passes, etc. His defensive game is getting better but he wasn't drafted to be a third line checking winger. I'm not saying his effort isn't there, but it's not enough.

I find many posters here all echo that "earned minutes" stuff but I can clearly see that only some enact it. The hard truth of it is, Stempniak has been playing well when healthy, Glencross was heating up before his injury, Cammalleri's been great since he came back. Backlund has shown flashes, and needs to be given a chance on the wing to find his offensive game. And all have been better than Baertschi.

Anybody listing Baertschi above the third line is basically dreaming of what could be, not what is. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet but he hasn't found the ladder that will get him there, either.

Moving Baertschi to the fourth line doesn't help anything, though. You're throwing him against grinder energy line guys and putting him on a line with guys who lack any sort of offensive ability. It's called a rebuild for a reason, Baertschi should be on the third line (or, ideally, the second) to allow his offense to grow at the NHL level. We are not in a position to punish rookies this way. Maybe if we were a playoff team, and Baertschi was 29 and not finding his offensive game. But not this year.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd make some adjustments to our lines:

Cammy - Stajan - Hudler
Baertshi - Backlund - Galiardi
Glencross - Monahan - Stempniak
Jones - Colborne - McGrats

We need to win a game. Colborne and Jones need a demotion to the bottom line.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Mike Cammalleri - Matt Stajan - Lee Stempniak

Tim Jackman - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler

TJ Galiardi - Mikael Backlund - David Jones

Lance Bouma - Joe Colborne - Brian McGrattan

Chris Butler - TJ Brodie

Kris Russell - Dennis Wideman

Ladislav Smid - Shane O'Brien

Reto Berra

Projected lineup for Jets game according to flames app :facepalm:. **** sakes.. And when is Ramo gonna get a start.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA

Chris Butler - TJ Brodie

Reto Berra

Projected lineup for Jets game according to flames app :facepalm:. **** sakes.. And when is Ramo gonna get a start.

no
god no

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Chris Butler - TJ Brodie

Reto Berra

These lines are from Sunday's practice. Sven Baertschi alternated on lines during that skate. The lines will be updated after Monday's practice in Winnipeg.

Hopefully that it was just for practice

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

Chris Butler - TJ Brodie

Reto Berra

That second line has to be a joke.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

Chris Butler - TJ Brodie

Reto Berra

In what world is Butler better suited to the top line than Smid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->