2013-14 CIS Pre-season

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier wrapped up their preseason tonight with a 7-1 loss against Bowling Green, getting outshot 46-9 in the process. It is one of their worst losses in recent memory.

Overall, they finished 2-2-2, with I believe each of their 3 goalies playing 2 games.

I attended their game against Western this past week, where Western won 5-2. Unlike previous years where shot totals typically favoured the Mustangs in huge amounts, shots for the game were close at 30-28. Western did score twice in the first two minutes, and projected #1 goaltender Shayne Campbell seemed to struggle all game, the opposite of how incredibly strong he was against Ryerson. Both teams sat some regulars, including 4 former CHL forwards for Laurier in Joe Vanni, Ben Skinner, Greg Trichilo and James Marsden. Former UNB forward Stefan Salituro was in the lineup for Western, playing on the opening line with Zach Harnden and Matt Clarke. He did not appear to have the foot speed to keep up with those two top end players.

I am not sure of the health of the entire team, but almost all players had a chance to participate in pre-season games, though not all at the same time. Laurier has yet to ice a complete roster of projected regulars, but I look forward to seeing if they can do that once the regular season begins (tonight they came the closest as they were missing only 2 regular forwards and 1 regular defenceman).

Laurier has been led by their rookies, with all of their goals in the past 3 games coming from first year players. The standout through the preseason is rookie center Greg Lamoureux, who played in all 6 games, adding 5 goals and an assist. He plays the penalty kill, and has great speed leading rushes up the ice as well. He has worked his way up the lineup and is now centering the likely top line between Tyler Stothers and fellow rookie Kyle Morrison. Other first year forwards who have performed well are Tanner Olstad, Derek Schoenmakers and Greg Trichilo. Olstad is extremely hard working and fast, Schoenmakers has been dangerous when he has the puck, and Trichilo I only saw once, but skated well and was responsible defensively and strong on the PK.

Captains this year are:

C - Tyler Stothers
A - James Marsden
A - Ryan Lopes

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Dalhousie is playing the road trip from hell. They were in Ottawa Friday night, in Massachusetts last night and are playing in Maine this afternoon.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Waterloo beat 10th-ranked Michigan 2-1 this afternoon in Ann Arbor. The Warriors finish the preseason 3-1, including the road win over the Wolverines and a neutral site win over McGill. They allowed a total of 5 goals in their 4 preseason games.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
My prediction for the OUA teams to advance in Saskatoon in 2014.
Carleton and UQTR in the east
Carleton
Western and Winsdor in the west
Western

Carleton just missed advancing last year from a heartbreaking loss to the Pats and looked good in pre-season vs UNB. They seem ready to make the next step!
UQTR impressed me against Saskatchewan and UNB before getting buried in the second half of their semi-final, in last years nationals. Windsor played UNB tough in pre-season and looks to be on the upswing. Western has a strong core and experience of a National silver medal in 2011-12. Waterloo's program is also on the rise!
The OUA is gaining more respect from it's recent results at Nationals.
Teams such as Carelton, Waterloo and Windsor should provide a stiff challenge to McGill, Western and UQTR, who have dominated the OUA in the last 4-5 years.
I have big doubts on that one. UQTR might have their toughest year in the previous 20 something years. Their recruiting went really bad. Cedrik Henley is injured and won't play this year, Martin Lefebvre and Jeremie Malouin went professionnal and Tommy Giroux is injured for a long time.

Unless they do some major upgrades during christmas time, I don't see them being any threat. It will be McGill versus Carleton.

The Ravens have a good team, good goalkeeping, and Marty Johnston knows how to make them work. It should be their year. However, McGill had such a great recruiting class that they'll be a force this year. Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll will be one of the best players in Canada, Samuel Carrier will be a great quaterback, add to that Carl Gélinas (he's from the Trois-Rivières region), Comtois and Regimbald, they've pretty much recruited players who would play on the first line of most team in Canada. They still got most of their good players from last year.

I just don't see how McGill won't be back in the National championship this year, unless Carleton upsets them.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
My prediction for the OUA teams to advance in Saskatoon in 2014.
Carleton and UQTR in the east
Carleton
Western and Winsdor in the west
Western

Carleton just missed advancing last year from a heartbreaking loss to the Pats and looked good in pre-season vs UNB. They seem ready to make the next step!
UQTR impressed me against Saskatchewan and UNB before getting buried in the second half of their semi-final, in last years nationals. Windsor played UNB tough in pre-season and looks to be on the upswing. Western has a strong core and experience of a National silver medal in 2011-12. Waterloo's program is also on the rise!
The OUA is gaining more respect from it's recent results at Nationals.
Teams such as Carelton, Waterloo and Windsor should provide a stiff challenge to McGill, Western and UQTR, who have dominated the OUA in the last 4-5 years.

Remember that the OUA gets a third team at Nationals this year, so things are really wide open in Ontario. Your assessment is probably right; the 3 births will likely come from Wat/Wsr/Wes in West and Car/UQTR/McG in the east. The West will likely be very tight again though, so I wouldn't sleep on the likes of Guelph or Lakehead (maybe even Ryerson or UoT). Whomever it is representing the OUA at nationals, it's good to see the conference getting more respect.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Pretty rough weekend for CIS teams overall against NCAA competition...McGill got a couple ties (including one against #1 ranked UML), Waterloo beat Michigan, and UNB beat Denver...but I think that was it.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
I am also in agreement that UQTR will struggle this season. They won't drop down to battle with the Nipissings, RMCs, Concordias, UOITs and Laurentians for the last 2 playoff spots, but when RMC beat them, that should send a message that UQTR is very beatable this season.

But I think the OUA East will play out like this from seeing teams live and reading results from other games.

1. Carleton
2. McGill
3. Queen's
4. Ottawa
5. UQTR
6. UOIT
7. RMC
8. Nipissing
9. Laurentian
10. Concordia

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
RMC has their 6 best scorer from last year coming back, so that's good for them. However, I don't see them being that high.

Here's my prediction for the OUA East.

1. McGill
2. Carleton
3. Ottawa
4. UQTR
5. Queen's
6. UOIT
7. Nipissing
8. RMC
9. Concordia
10. Laurentian

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
Had a visit, left a note.

Had a brief (and cordial) twitter exchange with the writer today. He maintained his view of NCAA D! > CIS, which (I dont think) any of us will argue. But I will say I noticed at least one tweet describing OUA/CIS as something similar to "awful" (can't remember the exact terminology) was deleted.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I read the "article" and the Twitter stuff. I agree that he is a bit of a Homer, but that is his job. Waterloo is a good team, but I'm sure everyone expected Michigan to win. His comments are no different from someone saying: "You get the feeling that the AUS really, really want to host the University Cup ... or four teams are looking for a route to the championship that doesn't involve getting past UNB on the ice." It can be construed as demeaning to the other team.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
I read the "article" and the Twitter stuff. I agree that he is a bit of a Homer, but that is his job. Waterloo is a good team, but I'm sure everyone expected Michigan to win. His comments are no different from someone saying: "You get the feeling that the AUS really, really want to host the University Cup ... or four teams are looking for a route to the championship that doesn't involve getting past UNB on the ice." It can be construed as demeaning to the other team.

Yeah, the article itself was tepid enough, the most damning tweet referred to OUA/CIS hockey as "garbage" (or "awful" or something like that; I don't quite remember the term). He later deleted the tweet.

The writer was big enough to admit that was too harsh a criticism of the brand of hockey, which is the issue I took with his tone - and why he deleted the tweet. Certainly, we'd be crazy to argue the CIS is at par with the NCAA (all you have to do is check this weekend's results); but the writer was basing his assessment of CIS hockey on when he was a student at UoT in late 90s. As we know, the CIS brand of hockey has come light years since then. There's a gap between D1 and CIS; but its miles smaller than it was in 2000.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Reading one of the CW previews...noticed Jimmy Bubnick has left USask...anyone know what the story there is? Did he get a pro offer? That is a pretty big loss for them.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Reading one of the CW previews...noticed Jimmy Bubnick has left USask...anyone know what the story there is? Did he get a pro offer? That is a pretty big loss for them.

I don't know about where he went. However, this year the CW teams have been late in posting rosters. In fact, the Bisons have yet to update their's. I planned on doing a complete addition/deletion list, and may yet do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->