2013-14 CIS Pre-season

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Brock over SMU 6-5 in OT. Entertaining game (unless you're Stieny). Brock were down 4-0 and 5-3. SMU were the better team for the most part, but Brock didn't quit and got a couple of soft goals on Curtis Black who played the entire game for SMU.

PEI over Dal 5-1 on the Island. Brock plays Dal Sat night in East Hants and then fly home Sunday.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Brock over SMU 6-5 in OT. Entertaining game (unless you're Stieny). Brock were down 4-0 and 5-3. SMU were the better team for the most part, but Brock didn't quit and got a couple of soft goals on Curtis Black who played the entire game for SMU.

PEI over Dal 5-1 on the Island. Brock plays Dal Sat night in East Hants and then fly home Sunday.

The boxscore shows Brock scoring twice in the last 18 seconds to tie it up...once at 19:42 and then at 19:50...is that correct? That's nuts.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Acadia 5-4 over U de M in OT tonight in Berwick, NS.

Wasn't at the game, all I know is Les Aigles scored first, then Acadia rattled off 4 straight before we scored 3 in the 3rd period to send it to overtime.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The boxscore shows Brock scoring twice in the last 18 seconds to tie it up...once at 19:42 and then at 19:50...is that correct? That's nuts.

That is correct. SMU was on the PP and Brock left a guy out by center ice and played 3-on-5. The guy in the box came out at the same time as the D-man got the puck up to the center guy and Brock has a 2-on-0 and scores. They leave the goalie out at the faceoff and get the puck in the SMU zone. Puck almost gets out by SMU bench but D-man keeps it in and wrists a shot that skips a couple of times and it's 5-5.
I spoke to their coach after the game and he said that was something they had tried in the past. Why not? Down 2, exhibition game. Good fun.....

Edit: Dal wins 2-1 in OT over Brock

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC heading to the Nations Captial for an afternoon game with the Ottawa Gee-Gees. The Paladins were able to ice close to their opening night line up, still missing key bodies, but players Kyle Phillips, Eric Louis-Seize and Anthony Farrow were able to make their pre-season debuts in the game. Ottawa opened the scoring when there was some defensive miscues in the neutral zone and a lucky Ottawa bounce landed on a Gee-Gee stick to open the scoring in the first period. 2 shifts later, Louis-Seize blocked a shot, skated down the wing and fired a laser past Gee-Gees goaltender Warren Shymko to tie the game before the period ended. After a very physical 2nd period where the Gee-Gees and Paladins went hit for hit like a heavyweight title fight, the Gee-Gees scored the winner when a seeing eye shot made it's way past a screened Paul Dorsey for a 2-1 Gee-Gees win.

A third 1 goals game for RMC in a row. Thoughts? All of the AUS pundits can see us play against STU this saturday at the Grant Harvey

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Colorado 3-Team Trip

A number of CIS teams have gone to Colorado in the past 14 years. Here are the results.

2012 - UBC (1-1-1)
2011 - McG (0-2-1)
2010 - LETH (1-2-0)
2009 - CAL (0-3-0)
2008 - ALB (0-3-0)
2007 - CAL (0-3-0)
2006 - CAL (1-2-0)
2005 - LKD (0-1-2)
2004 - WIN (0-3-0)
2003 - UBC (1-1-1)
2002 - WIN (0-2-0) *
2001 - ALB (0-2-0) *
2000 - CAL (0-3-0)
1999 - LAU (0-2-0) *

Overall (4-30-5)

* - only two games played, one of the three local teams was playing out of town.

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
RMC defeats UQTR 3-1 in Trois-Rivieries. Scott McDonald had a 3 assist night and Evan Deviller (walked on last year) outdueled Marc-Antoine Gelinas (46 games of minor pro). RMC scored all 3 goals on the power play.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
RMC defeats UQTR 3-1 in Trois-Rivieries. Scott McDonald had a 3 assist night and Evan Deviller (walked on last year) outdueled Marc-Antoine Gelinas (46 games of minor pro). RMC scored all 3 goals on the power play.

Good for RMC, a real confidence builder.

these days having minor pro experience doesn't have the connotation it used to. A lot of these guys on minor pro teams are there due to the persistence of their agents who they have had since major junior and are now indebted to for a percentage of their income. It helps to have well off parents as well, who can supplement the $300. a week that rookies make in the ECHL or lower leagues.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Good for RMC, a real confidence builder.

these days having minor pro experience doesn't have the connotation it used to. A lot of these guys on minor pro teams are there due to the persistence of their agents who they have had since major junior and are now indebted to for a percentage of their income. It helps to have well off parents as well, who can supplement the $300. a week that rookies make in the ECHL or lower leagues.

It's now $370 or $410 with 25 games played in the previous season - still not a lot of money.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
It's now $370 or $410 with 25 games played in the previous season - still not a lot of money.

while thats certainly not allot of money for someones full time job, its definitely not that bad, as my understanding is, all their room and board (apartments, hotels) are looked after as well as their equipment, meal allowances etc, so really that ends up being their casual spending money and thats makes a big difference.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
while thats certainly not allot of money for someones full time job, its definitely not that bad, as my understanding is, all their room and board (apartments, hotels) are looked after as well as their equipment, meal allowances etc, so really that ends up being their casual spending money and thats makes a big difference.

those are gross pay amounts, take off American income tax, consider that meals on the road are paid for by the team but sometimes only 2 meals a day and not when at home, road trip accommodation can be the bus. It depends on the team which equipment is paid for and there is a big difference in accommodation between teams, some wouldn't even be considered 1 star motels and some players are stacked into old city centre houses owned by the team. I believe that the number is 11 for players that can sign season contracts, the reminder play on week to week contracts. They are only paid while the team is still playing, the rest of the year they have to support themselves. I've seen a lot of players at 28-30 years old leave the ECHL, CHL or the SPHL with big dental bills, no education, no job skills, just memories. It makes me cringe when I see CIS players walk away from their major junior scholarship money to try and stretch out the dream. These leagues are hockey's welfare states.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières

Gelinas shouldn't take the blame for that deafeat. All of RMC's goals were scored on the powerplay.

Deviller was really good, many spectacular saves. It would only have taken one goal by UQTR to turn it around, but they never could do it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Carleton 7 Dalhousie 3 -

In Ottawa for the week and had some spare time Friday night so I decided to check out the game. Ironically I just got to see Carleton play last week against UNB.

The score pretty much indicates how the game went. The Ravens were really able to take advantage of the Tigers inept defense. Nadeau stayed in then entire game for the Tigers while Dube did the same for the Ravens. Game had some rough stuff but nowhere near as bad as the 87 minutes against UNB last week.

The Ravens top line of Hayes, Poworovski, and Pleckaitis is probably as good as any in the CIS. I anticipate that they will be in Saskatchewan this March. Might be the best team in the OUA this season. Not sure how their goaltending will hold up as it seemed to be a weakness last season.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
The Ravens top line of Hayes, Poworovski, and Pleckaitis is probably as good as any in the CIS. I anticipate that they will be in Saskatchewan this March. Might be the best team in the OUA this season. Not sure how their goaltending will hold up as it seemed to be a weakness last season.

The Ravens don't require a goalie that will steal games. Dube is a very good positional goalie and is a perfect fit for the Ravens defensive system, He's not exciting, just stops pucks.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Oua

The Ravens don't require a goalie that will steal games. Dube is a very good positional goalie and is a perfect fit for the Ravens defensive system, He's not exciting, just stops pucks.

My prediction for the OUA teams to advance in Saskatoon in 2014.
Carleton and UQTR in the east
Carleton
Western and Winsdor in the west
Western

Carleton just missed advancing last year from a heartbreaking loss to the Pats and looked good in pre-season vs UNB. They seem ready to make the next step!
UQTR impressed me against Saskatchewan and UNB before getting buried in the second half of their semi-final, in last years nationals. Windsor played UNB tough in pre-season and looks to be on the upswing. Western has a strong core and experience of a National silver medal in 2011-12. Waterloo's program is also on the rise!
The OUA is gaining more respect from it's recent results at Nationals.
Teams such as Carelton, Waterloo and Windsor should provide a stiff challenge to McGill, Western and UQTR, who have dominated the OUA in the last 4-5 years.

CoconutHockey*

McGill tied #1 ranked UMass-Lowell today. Final score 3-3

Also really shocked to see RMC win over UQTR. I think UQTR will have a rough year after losing Lessard, Petit, Boudreau, Robichaud, etc. and not replacing them.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Carleton 7 Dalhousie 3 -

In Ottawa for the week and had some spare time Friday night so I decided to check out the game. Ironically I just got to see Carleton play last week against UNB.

The score pretty much indicates how the game went. The Ravens were really able to take advantage of the Tigers inept defense. Nadeau stayed in then entire game for the Tigers while Dube did the same for the Ravens. Game had some rough stuff but nowhere near as bad as the 87 minutes against UNB last week.

Goaltending did seem to be their weakness last year. Their main goalie last year (Mathew Dupod) was not available until after Christmas due to academics from what I was told. I know when I watched them play Laurier last year, they outshot the Hawks about 42-19, and lost 4-1. While noted below, Carleton may not need a goalie who can "steal" games in regular OUA play, that has been a trademark of traditionally successful OUA teams at nationals. Eventually, Carleton will come up against teams that possess the puck equally as well, if not better, and their goaltenders will have to weather the storm against teams like UNB or Alberta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad