2010 HFNHL Prospect Handbook

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well gentleman, it's that time of year. I present to you the 4th annual HFNHL Prospect Handbook. The handbook, as in previous years, contains a Top 50 Prospect list, Organizational Rankings, and a top 10 prospect list for each team. For reference sake, here are 2009, 2008 and 2007's issues.

Here's a review of how each was accumulated:

1. Top 50 List
I had worked on a couple of these lists for HF in my time as a writer for them. I used the same method HF did. Thanks to those that sent in lists! They were Myself, Matt Kowalchuk, Sean Keogh, Zac Neice, Matt Gledhill, Dryden Lewis, and Ville.. Every player had their ranking averaged out. Players NOT receiving a ranking from a particular list would receive a ranking of 60 as part of their average from that list. To break ties, preference was given to the player who had received the highest individual ranking from a list.

Ok, as per what constitutes a prospect, the following criteria was used:
1) Player must be 25 years OR younger as per December 31, 2010 (meaning 1985 and up born players are eligible).
2) Skaters cannot have played more than 50 games of NHL action previous to the 2010-11 NHL season. Goalies cannot have played more than 25 games. This means that current NHL rookies (ala Jeff Skinner) were still eligible! It also helps to explain why some players I received rankings for are not placed (e.g. Semen Varlamov with 26 games played)
3) Players can be on teams prospect lists or rosters. It does not matter. This is to allow any player eligible under the above criteria to be included, regardless of whether they have been signed as undraftees or depth(for example Mark Letestu).

There was a total of 90 players who received a ranking! Players who did not manage to crack the top 50 list are listed in the Honorable Mentions category. The Honorable Mentions are broken down according to how many votes they received.

2. The Organizational Rankings
This list was compiled completely by myself and thus it is strictly my opinion on the matter. Obviously there were a lot of close calls and a lot of these teams are pretty damn close.

3. Top 10 Prospects by Team
Again these lists were compiled by accord of my own opinion, except for in the instance of players appearing on the top 50 list. They were obviously ranked accordingly.

Obviously, similar to the top 50 list, the same prospect criteria were used.

Without further delay, here is the finished product!

__________________________________________________ ____________

HFNHL Top 50 Prospects

1. Taylor Hall
2. Jeff Skinner
3. Tyler Seguin
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. John Carlson
6. Oliver Ekman Larsson
7. Logan Couture
8. Cam Fowler
9. Brayden Schenn
10. Jordan Eberle
11. Magnus Paajarvi Svensson
12. P.K. Subban
13. Derek Stepan
14. Jonathan Bernier
15. Ryan Johansen
16. Nino Niederreiter
17. Tyler Ennis
18. Alexander Burmistrov
19. Colin Wilson
20. Michal Neuvirth
21. Kevin Shattenkirk
22. Cody Hodgson
23. Jakub Markstrom
24. Travis Hamonic
25. Michael Grabner
26. Brett Connolly
27. David Rundblad
28. Erik Gudbranson
29. Jamie McBain
30. Nazem Kadri
31. Sergei Bobrovsky
32. Ryan Ellis
33. Marcus Johansson
34. Vladimir Tarasenko
35. Jared Cowen
36. Chris Kreider
37. Evgeny Kuznetsov
38. Mikael Granlund
39. Jack Campbell
40. Cory Schneider
41. Mikael Backlund
42. Jonathon Blum
43. Robin Lehner
44. Jake Allen
45. Joe Colborne
46. Brandon Gormley
47. Jaden Schwartz
48. Lars Eller
49. Nikita Filatov
50. Tim Erixon

Honorable Mention (3 Votes)
John Moore
Jordan Caron
Brad Marchand
Zack Kassian

Honorable Mention (2 Votes)
Matias Tedenby
Jakub Kindl
Braden Holtby
Tomas Tatar
Zach Boychuk
Andrei Loktionov
Jacob Josefson
Louis Leblanc
Brendan Smith
Jake Gardiner

Honorable Mention (1 Vote)
Jeremy Morin
Keith Aulie
Mark Letestu
Nick Bjugstad
Vyacheslav Voinov
Alex Chiasson
Joey Hishon
Calvin de Haan
Dmitri Orlov
Charlie Coyle
Marco Scandella
Ryan McDonagh
Patrice Cormier
Luca Sbisa
Jon Merrill
James Reimer
Eric Tangradi
Scott Glennie
Jakob Silfverberg
Nathan Gerbe
Derek Forbort
Mark Visentin
Luke Adam
Kyle Palmieri
Jeff Petry
__________________________________________________ __________

HFNHL Organizational Rankings

1. Toronto Maple Leafs
Strengths: Talk about high end talent. Three of the top 10 prospects and 5 players in the top 35. John Carlson and Oliver Ekman Larsson stand out at the top as two blueliners who can jump right into the big club's line up next year.
Weaknesses: I think the most obvious weakness of the system is in net. While Tomas Vokoun is still manning the pipe for the pro club, he's a pending UFA who may end up being traded. What do the Leafs do if he walks or a trade doesn't present them with a suitable long term replacement?
Top 10 Prospects:
1. John Carlson (5)
2. Oliver Ekman Larsson (6)
3. Brayden Schenn (9)
4. Nazem Kadri (30)
5. Vladimir Tarasenko (34)
6. Joey Hishon (HM 1)
7. Tyler Bozak
8. Jamie Arniel
9. Mathieu Perrault
10. Matt Corrente

2. New Jersey Devils
Strengths: The Devils have continued to rebuild their prospect pool. Any time you add the 2nd overall pick in Tyler Seguin, that helps. The team has developed good depth and has high end skill. I particularly like the team's high end defensive prospects, Travis Hamonic and Jared Cowen, who could be beasts for the Devils in the future.
Weaknesses: Not a lot wrong with this farm system right now. Being a stickler, Kevin Poulin had really developed as a goaltending prospect but has since undergone serious knee surgery. The team could really use another high end prospect at the position.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Seguin (3)
2. Travis Hamonic (24)
3. Jared Cowen (35)
4. Evgeny Kuznetsov (37)
5. Jeremy Morin (HM 1)
6. Emerson Etem
7. Nick Leddy
8. Kevin Poulin
9. Teemu Pulkkinen
10. Casey Cizikas

3. Calgary Flames
Strengths: It's been a great year for Flames' prospects. The fact that this team is at the top of the HFNHL league and has such a good farm system is remarkable. Not only top end talent, but also depth. I absolutely love the team's collection of forwards who offer pretty much anything you'd want; from high end offensive guys, to power forwards, to strong two way players.
Weaknesses: Jake Gardiner is a solid prospect on the back end (as is Jesse Blacker), but I'd like to see the team add a real quality defensive horse on the back end. If the team could add that defensive stalwart on defense, they'd really make this group even stronger.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jeff Skinner (2)
2. Mikael Backlund (41)
3. Zack Kassian (HM 3)
4. Jake Gardiner (HM 2)
5. James Reimer (HM 1)
6. Scott Glennie (HM 1)
7. Eric Tangradi (HM 1)
8. Austin Watson
9. Alex Stalock
10. Anders Lee

4. Anaheim Ducks
Strengths: The Ducks have a very solid prospect pool. It's deep and very well balanced. Quality prospects at nearly every position. I particularly like the speed at which the prospects play the game, a lot of good skaters in this group.
Weaknesses: Who wouldn't like a big power forward, especially down the middle? The one criticism for the Ducks group is that they could really use a guy who can move bodies and put the puck in the net.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Magnus Paajarvi Svensson (11)
2. P.K. Subban (12)
3. Michael Grabner (25)
4. Jaden Schwartz (47)
5. Thomas Hickey
6. Martin Jones
7. Taylor Beck
8. Ty Wishart
9. Nick Bonino
10. Nicolas Deslauriers

5. Montreal Canadiens
Strengths: The Habs have a lot of speedy, skilled forwards who can really produce offensively. They also have a couple really high quality physical defenseman prospects. Also, the depth in the organization remains a strength
Weaknesses: One of the strengths of the team's prospect pool last time, is now a weakness. While the team has mobility and offense from the blueline on the big club, a quality offensive defenseman prospect could be a need.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Derek Stepan (13)
2. Erik Gudbranson (28)
3. Chris Kreider (36)
4. Joe Colborne (45)
5. Braden Holtby (HM 2)
6. Alex Chiasson (HM 1)
7. Dylan McIlrath
8. Drew Shore
9. Bud Holloway
10. Ludvig Rensveldt

6. Chicago Blackhawks
Strengths: A lot of top end talent in Chicago. The biggest strength is definitely down the middle where Ryan Johansen, Marcus Johansson, and Tomas Tatar have a really good shot at becoming premier centers.
Weaknesses: While Dryden Lewis has worked hard to replenish the teams prospect depth, I think there's still some work to be done (again improved though). On top of depth, the team could use a real top quality defenseman prospect. Some good under the radar guys, but no real bluechipper.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jonathan Bernier (14)
2. Ryan Johansen (15)
3. Marcus Johansson (33)
4. Tomas Tatar (HM 2)
5. Charlie Coyle (HM 1)
6. Marco Scandella (HM 1)
7. Cody Eakin
8. Paul Postma
9. Julian Melchiori
10. Brett Bulmer

7. Phoenix Coyotes
Strengths: Jon Blum, Brandon Gormley, and Mark Katic, assure the Yotes will have no problem producing offense from the back end (just as last year). Depth wise, the Coyotes are very solid too, with a bevy of quality prospects.
Weaknesses: This team has a lot of the areas covered, however with Steve Mason's career taking a bit of a bump lately, and Dustin Tokarski being the only real solid prospect, maybe it would be wise to add more depth and quality to the organization in goal. A big, hard nosed power forward winger could be good for this team moving forward too.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Ennis (17)
2. Cody Hodgson (22)
3. Jonathon Blum (42)
4. Brandon Gormley (46)
5. Matt Calvert
6. Marcus Foligno
7. Mark Katic
8. Dustin Tokarski
9. Brendan Ranford
10. Ryan Martindale

8. Washington Capitals
Strengths: The team has completely re-modeled their prospect list with trades in the last few months. The depth of the farm system has vastly improved, in addition to owning some top end talent. The biggest strength is on defense, where McBain, de Haan and Orlov provide the team with a chance at developing three premier offensive defenseman.
Weaknesses: The Capitals traded their goaltender of the future, but didn't really get a quality goaltending prospect back. As a result, the cupboard is bare at the position for Washington and is definitely something that needs to be addressed.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Brett Connolly (26)
2. Jamie McBain (29)
3. Calvin de Haan (HM 1)
4. Dmitri Orlov (HM 1)
5. Zac Dalpe
6. Ryan Stoa
7. Linus Omark
8. Carter Ashton
9. Zach Hamill
10. Brian Dumoulin

9. Los Angeles Kings
Strengths: I think I said this last time, but anytime you've got 3 of the best offensive defenseman prospects in the league, you should be happy (especially with Alex Goligoski on the pro club). Mobility and offense from the back end is a clear strength.
Weaknesses: Not really a significant goaltending prospect to be found, a future goalie to push Cam Ward wouldn't hurt the system. The Kings could also stand to add a top quality center prospect. With another high pick draft selection coming this year, I'd look for them to go down the middle.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Alex Pietrangelo (4)
2. Ryan Ellis (32)
3. Brad Marchand (HM 3)
4. Brendan Smith (HM 2)
5. Jared Knight
6. Bill Sweatt
7. Teemu Hartikainen
8. Colby Cohen
9. Zach Hyman
10. Alex Guptill

10. Philadelphia Flyers
Strengths: Anytime you've got the league's top prospect, you have to consider that a strength. With Taylor Hall and El Nino on the wing, the team is set to produce offensively for some time. Also, with Matt Hackett and Scott Wedgewood in net, I like the team's goalie prospects.
Weaknesses: While I think the Flyers could stand to add more depth and quality to their defense corps, I think the most pressing need of the organization moving forward is a playmaking center. With John Tavares, Taylor Hall and El Nino in the fold, someone is going to have to feed them the puck.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Taylor Hall (1)
2. Nino Niederreiter (16)
3. Matt Hackett
4. Martin Marincin
5. Drayson Bowman
6. Bob Sanguinetti
7. Marcus Kruger
8. Jim O’Brien
9. Jordan Weal
10. Scott Wedgewood

11. St. Louis Blues
Strengths: Another really solid and well balanced pool with good players at every position. There is some high end offensive talent, some sand paper on the blueline and a couple decent goaltending prospects.
Weaknesses: I think if you had to pick something, it would probably be another quality scorer on the wing. The team is pretty solid down the middle, but outside of Jordan Eberle, could really use another quality wing prospect.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jordan Eberle (10)
2. Lars Eller (48)
3. Jordan Caron (HM 3)
4. Jhonas Enroth
5. Roman Josi
6. Andrew MacDonald
7. Maxim Goncharov
8. Ian Cole
9. Reilly Smith
10. Kevin Hayes

12. Vancouver Canucks
Strengths: The Nucks' prospects have had a solid year. The team has to be happy with the progression of their farm system. I think the biggest strength is on defense where Rundblad, Petry, Ekholm, Braun, Falk, among others look like potential NHL players.
Weaknesses: In talking with Nucks management, it seems that they could really use a strong offensive player down the middle. In the coming years, it seems unlikely that the team will be able to keep the likes of Malkin, Staal and others together. If the team could draft a real top end center, it might give them more cap flexibility down the road.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. David Rundblad (27)
2. Jake Allen (44)
3. Luke Adam (HM 1)
4. Kyle Palmieri (HM 1)
5. Jeff Petry (HM 1)
6. Mattias Ekholm
7. Beau Bennett
8. Justin Braun
9. Justin Falk
10. Jerry D’Amigo

13. Colorado Avalanche
Strengths: The explosion of Logan Couture has really elevated this prospect list from last year. Couture leads a strong group of forward prospects, who've got some good offensive potential.
Weaknesses: Just like last year, the biggest weakness lies on defense. Tyson Barrie and Steve Kampfer (amongst others in the pipeline) are solid prospects, but the Avs really lack a high end defensive prospect who is a sure bet to play a top 3 future role for the team.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Logan Couture (7)
2. Robin Lehner (43)
3. Jakob Silfverberg (HM 1)
4. Nathan Gerbe (HM 1)
5. Kyle Clifford
6. Dana Tyrell
7. Tyson Barrie
8. Steven Kampfer
9. Richard Panik
10. Nick Palmieri

14. Columbus Blue Jackets
Strengths: The team has a solid group of forward and defense prospects. A mix of skill and grit makes this a very complete group. Some real darkhorse guys like offensive defenseman Justin Schultz.
Weaknesses: Even with Semen Varlamov manning the net for the future, the team's goaltending cupboard is somewhat bare. Putting all your eggs in one basket might not be the best approach.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Zach Boychuk (HM 2)
2. Andrei Loktionov (HM 2)
3. Ryan McDonagh (HM 1)
4. Patrice Cormier (HM 1)
5. Dylan Olsen
6. Justin Schultz
7. Mats Zuccarello-Aasen
8. Jason Zucker
9. Blake Geoffrion
10. Devante Smith Pelly

15. New York Islanders
Strengths: Some prospect graduations have hurt this pool a bit, but they remain solid. Definitely a lot of talent on offense with some real boom or bust types.
Weaknesses: Again, Tyler Myers and Cody Franson have graduated, but outside Keith Aulie, this team could really use another quality defenseman prospect. Especially a quality puck mover.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Mikael Granlund (38)
2. Nikita Filatov (49)
3. Mattias Tedenby (HM 2)
4. Keith Aulie (HM 1)
5. Chet Pickard
6. Kyle Beach
7. Riley Sheahan
8. Garrett Wilson
9. Ryan O’Marra
10. Brett Sonne

16. Minnesota Wild
Strengths: I really like the future in goal for this team with Visentin and Ben Bishop. Both guys look like they could develop into solid HFNHL netminders. On defense, the team is solid too, with the likes of Fowler, McNabb, and Weber.
Weaknesses: I think this team could really use a franchise type forward. A real dynamic offensive player. With the team in the gutter this season, the first overall pick is a distinct possibility. A Sean Couturier or Ryan Nugent Hopkins would be fantastic for this franchise.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Cam Fowler (8)
2. Mark Visentin (HM 1)
3. Brayden McNabb
4. Nic Deschamps
5. Yannick Weber
6. Brock Nelson
7. Ben Bishop
8. Linden Vey
9. Patrick McNeill
10. Louis Mark-Aubry

17. Nashville Predators
Strengths: The strength of the team's prospect list is definitely on the blueline IMO. There isn't a guy who jumps out at you from the list as a bluechipper, but you've got solid depth and a chance at developing some good talent for the big club.
Weaknesses: Similar to last year, I think you have to look at the lack of a high end offensive player at forward. Some size, some skill, but the forward group really lacks a gamebreaker. The drafting of Louis Leblanc was big, but I'm not convinced he's going to be a high scoring NHL forward.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jakub Markstrom (23)
2. Louis Leblanc (HM 2)
3. Jonathan Merrill (HM 1)
4. Sami Vatanen
5. Colton Teubert
6. Phil McRae
7. Cody Coloubef
8. Simon Hjalmarsson
9. Matt Taormina
10. Rhett Rakhshani

18. Boston Bruins
Strengths: With Kevin Shattenkirk and Slava Voinov, I think the future of the Bruins defense is in good hands. Both have high upsides as NHL defenders. Shattenkirk can actually step right into the team's line up next year.
Weaknesses: Depth has become a real weakness in the Bruins system (and on the parent club). Outside of Peter Holland, I'm not blown away by any of the team's forward prospects either. With the Bruins poor start this year, they could really use that bluechip prospect in the lottery.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Kevin Shattenkirk (21)
2. Cory Schneider (40)
3. Vyacheslav Voinov (HM 1)
4. Peter Holland
5. Aaron Palushaj
6. Mark Stone
7. Corey Tropp
8. Cade Fairchild
9. Alex Hutchings
10. Dustin Kohn

19. New York Rangers
Strengths:The Rangers have a solid group of forward prospects lead by Colin Wilson. Good depth and some potential to develop top 6 forwards.
Weaknesses: With the team's trade of Tim Thomas, you have to wonder if the Rags plan on trying to acquire a quality goaltending prospect, which the team really lacks. I think the team could also use a real mean defensive prospect, a solid stay at home guy with size.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Colin Wilson (19)
2. Jakub Kindl (HM 2)
3. Mark Letestu (HM 1)
4. Quinton Howden
5. Evgeni Dadonov
6. Shawn Lalonde
7. Dustin Jeffrey
8. Riley Nash
9. Carl Hagelin
10. Marc-Andre Bourdon

20. Pittsburgh Penguins
Strengths: I think the Pens have done well to find balance on their prospect list. Some solid high end prospects at each position. With Neuvirth and Nilsson in net, the Pens seem set in goal especially (along with Bryzgalov on the big club).
Weaknesses: The team just needs to continue to add depth to fill out their organization. That includes top end talent, but with only 2 seconds (likely late ones), shrewd drafting will have to unearth some quality.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Michal Neuvirth (20)
2. John Moore (HM 3)
3. Nick Bjugstad (HM 1)
4. Jordan Schroeder
5. Alex Petrovic
6. Anton Rodin
7. Nick Petrecki
8. Anders Nilsson
9. Kevin Connauton
10. Jimmy Hayes

21. Detroit Red Wings
Strengths: The Wings have done a good job of accumulating some forwards who could have long NHL careers as contributing players. There might not be a real high end guy, but solid depth.
Weaknesses: I really think you have to look at the lack of goaltending in the pipeline. King Henrik isn't going to be around forever. It doesn't hurt to have a quality young goalie in the system. I know Mr. Niece doesn't believe in drafting goalies high, but his method of drafting them late hasn't turned out any pure gems either (copied from last year's handbook, come on Drew)!
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jacob Josefson (HM 2)
2. Luca Sbisa (HM 1)
3. Brett MacLean
4. Adam Henrique
5. Mike Santorelli
6. Ryan Spooner
7. Chris Terry
8. Brandon McMillan
9. Gustav Nyquist
10. Charles Olivier-Roussel

22. Dallas Stars
Strengths: Dallas has done a good job to replenish it's farm system through trades and the draft. I particularly like the team's future defense in Erixon, Brodie, Mitera, Plante, and Connelly.
Weaknesses: The drafting of Burmistrov last year helped to give the team a future franchise forward, but more work is needed. This is particularly true on the wing, where the team could use a premier scoring option to be the future finisher to Burmistrov's passes.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Alexander Burmistrov (18)
2. Tim Erixon (50)
3. T.J. Brodie
4. Greg Nemisz
5. Mark Mitera
6. Erik Haula
7. Alex Plante
8. Brian Connelly
9. Michael Hutchinson
10. Ryan Bourque

23. Carolina Hurricanes
Strengths: With Jack Campbell, Olivier Roy, and Justin Peters, you have to like the team's odds of developing a starting HFNHL netminder. While they've all had their struggles this year, long term they should be fine.
Weaknesses: The team really needs to add high end prospects at the forward position. Curtis Hamilton looks like a quality pick from the last draft, but a quality center who can lead this team would be a great addition.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Jack Campbell (39)
2. Mark Pysyk
3. Patrick Wiercioch
4. Curtis Hamilton
5. Olivier Roy
6. John McFarland
7. Stanislav Galiev
8. Justin Peters
9. Brock Beukeboom
10. Jesse Joensuu

24. Edmonton Oilers
Strengths: The team's strength is definitely on the blueline. Some real good size and two way play there with the likes of Forbort, Despres, Ellerby and Bortuzzo.
Weaknesses: The team definitely needs to start adding high quality offensive players to their prospect list. Whether it be on the wing, or down the middle, the team needs some high end talent at forward.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Derek Forbort (HM 1)
2. Simon Despres
3. Keaton Ellerby
4. Ryan Howse
5. Robert Bortuzzo
6. Calvin Pickard
7. Brandon Pirri
8. Anton Lander
9. Michael Stone
10. Taylor Chorney

25. Florida Panthers
Strengths: As always, the strength of Florida's prospect pool is depth. You have to think that there are some guys on this list who will develop into quality NHL players. This is particularly true on defense where the team has accumulated some real quality and quantity.
Weaknesses: With some big trades in the past year or so, the team's prospect pool has taken a hit. The biggest weakness is down the middle where the team could really use some quality prospects. With 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders (right now high 2nd's), the team has a chance to address that issue.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Tyler Toffoli
2. Jake Muzzin
3. David Savard
4. Matt Donovan
5. Christian Thomas
6. Taylor Dohetry
7. Mark Cundari
8. Mike Murphy
9. Brandon Kozun
10. Benn Ferriero

26. Buffalo Sabres
Strengths: Goaltending depth is definitely the strength of the Sabres system. While the team doesn't really have a bluechipper, the quality of the depth is still there. One of Lindback, Koskinen, Mrazek, Smith or others should develop into an NHL level goaltender who can take some pressure off of Ryan Miller.
Weaknesses: While the Sabres have some decent depth, the team must long for the days when they had a bounty of bluechip prospects. This is particularly true at forward where the team could desperately use a talent injection. What better way to get cap relief then to start developing talent again.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Anders Lindback
2. Stefan Elliott
3. Tyler Pitlick
4. Mark Fayne
5. Mikko Koskinen
6. Petr Mrazek
7. Mark Barberio
8. David Ullstrom
9. Jeremy Smith
10. Keith Seabrook

27. Ottawa Senators
Strengths: Sergei Bobrovsky? A great find for the organization (or perhaps great luck), that they've got what appears to be a top quality prospect. Unfortunately, it's at the position the team needs least (with Roberto Luongo in net).
Weaknesses: With a new GM in town, the team really needs to address the lack of prospect depth in the organization. Ideally, adding a top end skating prospect would be nice, but without a first rounder this year, that seems unlikely for now unless the team undergoes a rebuild.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Sergei Bobrovsky (31)
2. James Wright
3. Cory Emmerton
4. Jeff Costello
5. Alex Theriau
6. Dannick Paquette
7. Drew Mackenzie
8. Matthieu Brodeur
9. Jason Akeson
10. Kendal McFaull

28. Tampa Bay Lightning
Strengths: There are some interesting prospects on Tampa's list. There are a few character forwards who could have lengthy NHL careers, like Jarnkrok, and Della Rovere
Weaknesses: This team really needs to start producing top end talent, as a borderline playoff team in recent years, the best thing that's happening to them now is that they're competing for the first overall pick. That injection of a bluechipper will be big for the system and the future of the team which should be rebuilding.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Calle Jarnkrok
2. Alexander Salak
3. Adam Almquist
4. Johan Harju
5. Stefan Della Rovere
6. Blake Kessel
7. Carl Soderberg
8. Fredrik Petterson-Wentzel
9. Nick Larson
10. Scott Stajcer

29. San Jose Sharks
Strengths: The Sharks have some good size at forward and a lot of character type guys who could develop into useful NHL players.
Weaknesses: Depth has definitely become an issue among the team's prospect pool. Not only depth, but top end talent as there isn't anyone in this organization who jumps out as a future legitimate HFNHL contributor. This is particularly true on defense where Brandon Burlon is really the team's only solid option.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Brandon Burlon
2. Casey Wellman
3. Marek Viedensky
4. A.J. Jenks
5. Phil Grubauer
6. Mitch Wahl
7. Mike Hoeffel
8. Brad Malone
9. Luke Moffat
10. Nick Ross

30. Atlanta Thrashers
Strengths: I'm really not sure. At least they've got top end young talent on the roster!
Weaknesses: Everything. You know your prospect pool is not very good when I've got to include players not even on NHL deals in the minors in your top 10. The Thrashers need to start filling out their organization by adding more legitimate prospects. The next step for this organization will be adding talent to play with the likes of Stamkos and Doughty.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Adam Comrie
2. Jesper Fasth
3. Andrei Zubarev
4. Chris DiDomenico
5. Robin Figren
6. Stephen MacAuley
7. Brady Calla
8. Justin Falk
9. Taylor Ellington
10. Paul Baier

Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Last edited:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Interesting to see Leafs weakness in goal when they have Crawford and Niemi ready to take over from Vokoun. My team analysis is perfect but I am sure having 6 1st in next 2 years will help me fill up the prospects.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
Dont know of I went up or down from last year either way I think my organozations depth has gone up

Edit:
Nice to have gone up four spots but got along way to go to building this prospect pool

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Considering the names I've moved out (to trade or graduation) since last year's list was prepared, I'm frankly surprised to find I only slid from 2 to 14...

Graduated:
G Semyon Varlamov
LW Max Pacioretty (since traded stupidly - was worried the Habs wrecked his development when they rushed him. More fool me.)

Traded:
C Derek Stepan
C Maxime Sauve
C Adam Henrique
LD Brendan Smith
RD Charles-Olivier Roussel

Still, after climbing from 9 to 5 to 2 over the last three seasons, 14th means I've got my work cut out for me. And it's going to get worse before it gets better -- I have one or two more deals to complete this season which will likely see a further erosion of the farm system, and I'm already basically bereft of draft choices this year, so I expect next year Columbus will find itself in the late teens - at best.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
13. Colorado Avalanche
Strengths: The explosion of Logan Couture has really elevated this prospect list from last year. Couture leads a strong group of forward prospects, who've got some good offensive potential.
Weaknesses: Just like last year, the biggest weakness lies on defense. Tyson Barrie and Steve Kampfer (amongst others in the pipeline) are solid prospects, but the Avs really lack a high end defensive prospect who is a sure bet to play a top 3 future role for the team.
Top 10 Prospects:
1. Logan Couture (7)
2. Robin Lehner (43)
3. Jakob Silfverberg (HM 1)
4. Nathan Gerbe (HM 1)
5. Kyle Clifford
6. Dana Tyrell
7. Tyson Barrie
8. Steven Kampfer
9. Richard Panik
10. Nick Palmieri

Considering I only had 3 picks in the 2010 draft (Brett Ponich 103rd, Eero Elo 153rd and Viktor Ekbom 192nd), I guess moving up from 17th to 13th is pretty good. With 2 1sts, 4 2nd's and 3 3rd's I'm set up for another big draft year.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Nice work Brock - good job. And all things considered I am about where I expected to come out this year. And seeing how this season has taken an unusual turn, it may be time to restock the cupboard as Schneider is graduating, Shattenkirk is graduating, and hopefully Voinov will be joining them soon after as well. And I'll be damned if Palushaj doesn't make it soon...should have stayed at UofM otherwise....get an education if you can't make the step. Anyway - will focus more on the draft this year...

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
Nicely done, great read as usual!

I figured I'd drop down to where I am even though the only real difference in my top 10 from last year to this is Eberle is out and Forbort is in. Granted, that's a big difference, but I'm fairly happy with the rest of my top 10 compared to last year. It's still lacking all sorts of solid offensive potential though so I've got lots of work to do.

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Great job as always. Many thanks to all that contribute to this.

As for the goalie comment Brock ... there was little worth drafting this past year to have changed that :sarcasm:. I believe my "Day 2" draft list only had 1 goalie on it and he went quickly.

Just to keep the interest going here's an additional exercise meant to build off the prospect handbook. The handbook focuses on who could be a future member of your team, some will actually turn out to be busts and others will be traded long before they play a game at the HFNHL level for your team so potential and reality are always different.

So with that in mind lets expand to the next logical step ... how many players in your starting 20 were either drafted by you (or your predecessor) or were a 'prospecting' type FA signing?

I believe someone ran this, or something similar, a few years back (Josh?) and it proved quite interesting.

To keep things simple you can give honorable mentions to injured reserve guys who have actually played at least 3 HFNHL games this year. Also this is about who is actually playing for your team so no need to list off all the guys you've traded away over the years that are on another teams starting 20 (I'd have a respectable list as well).

The Wings currently claim 10 and will theoretically increase to 12 come next season. The current 10 are as follows:
Boyes, Giroux, Hanzal, Grabovski, Nystrom, Versteeg, Santorelli, Wilson, Weber, Lundqvist.
*HM to Koistinen who's HFNHL days should theoretically be over but due to injuries has been in the starting 20 all too often.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Ducks currently dress 9(*) drafted starters, plus 2 honorable mentions.

The starters are: Cammalleri, Plekanec, Simmonds, Pominville, Seidenberg, Kronwall, J. Johnson, Hunwick, and Rinne. The HMs are: R. O'Reilly and Drewiske.

The asterisk is for Pominville. By an act of my own idiocy, I failed to draft him in 2001, even though I had the picks in place to do so. I quickly atoned and acquired Pominville via trade maybe a month after the draft. For 2011-12, at least two more draftees will become starters, could be as many as four.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Drumroll.......

A whopping two (2): Nikolai Kulemin and Peter Budaj*. Budaj gets an asterisk because I've actually recently reacquired him by trade - but he was only with Washington for a year or so, the rest of the time he was a Jacket. It would have been three, but I just traded Penner who prior to this morning had spent his entire pro career with Columbus.

HMs (on the cusp): 5

Zuccarello, Boychuk, McDonagh, Loktionov, Geoffrion

Ruh roh! Can't let that happen -- I'll have to trade some away!

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
The Flames have 6 drafted players who are on the roster today... Anisimov, Downie, Berglund, Setoguchi & Sekera were all drafted on my watch and are all players with less than 3 years NHL experience so hopefully there is more from them in the future. Michalek was drafted by the previous regime -

With Skinner, Reimer & Backlund joining the line-up next year that'll make 9 - My goal is to one day to ice a top 6 forwards of players that I've drafted.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The Kings have 8 drafted players in the lineup: Kane, Benn, Brassard, Brouwer, Skille, Hjalmarsson, Fistric & Ward.

Next year Pietrangelo and Marchand will be added to the lineup, depending on ratings.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
The Avs currently dress 8 drafted starters, plus 7(or 9) honorable mentions.

The starters are: Visnovsky, Bergenheim, Olesz, Lundin, Crosby, Russell, Bäckström and Schenn
The HMs are, or should be next year when signed: Couture, Ritola, Gerbe, Palmieri, Kampfer, Lehner and Clifford. Also Tyler Sloan and Brandon Mashinter were 'prospecting' type FA signings and they played 63 and 3 games for me last season.

Vaive-Alive

Mar 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Bruins have 6 who have played thus far this year on the squad: Loui Eriksson, Tomas Fleischmann, Josh Bailey, Cory Schneider, Dustin Kohn, Warren Peters.

Of interest - of all picks in our first three years of drafting - only Dominic Moore, Carlo Colaiacovo and Warren Peters remain in the NHL. The rest have never been able to make the big jump, have retired, or are playing in Europe ( some of whom made it but faired poorly and left for greener pastures in europe, and some whom never even made the trip across the pond...like Ilya Nikulin...good grief...). Our drafting has improved over the years...but still has a long way to go.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Good work Brock. I think my club's place in the organizational rankings is fair and about what I expected. I like my club's depth as much as almost any other, but only with the emergence of Rundblad, and to a lesser extent Allen, has the top end potential started to reveal itself.

I'm not worried down the middle, as you suggested, but rather wanted to work to acquire more forwards overall, particularly wingers. Although I've addressed my glut of centers a bit (eg. trading Ribeiro for Hornqvist), Malkin, Staal, Krejci, Backes and Vermette are still guys I plan on keeping around and all can play center. Players like Adam, Palmieri, Bennett and D'Amigo are all true wingers, and even Sauve probably profiles better there. I'd love a top end center prospect, but those are hard to come by it seems.

As for drafted players on my roster, Malkin, Staal, Krejci, Callahan, Laich, Letang, Quincey and Price were all selections of mine. Brandon Yip and Antoine Vermette were acquired in trades as prospects, though Vermette had a brief sejour in Montreal as well. Overall my drafting since entering the league has been strong. With Anthony Stewart finally performing a bit in the NHL, the only first round picks I've selected not to make it are Kyle Palmieri (who had a brief call-up this year) and Justin Faulk.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
The Top 50 list needs a slight edit. I was the one "Honorable Mention" vote for Luca Sbisa. In light of the contract he just got, I now retract that vote. ;-)

Seriously, I love the kid as much as anyone, but has anyone ever done less in the NHL to earn that much coin (including Jeff Finger)? Yes, Sbisa should've been in the NHL before this season, but that's besides the point...

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
The Top 50 list needs a slight edit. I was the one "Honorable Mention" vote for Luca Sbisa. In light of the contract he just got, I now retract that vote. ;-)

Seriously, I love the kid as much as anyone, but has anyone ever done less in the NHL to earn that much coin (including Jeff Finger)? Yes, Sbisa should've been in the NHL before this season, but that's besides the point...

If you want to get rid of him, let me know, I'll gladly take on him and his new contract..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad