2009 Tyler Myers / Colton Teubert swap

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Anyone can give some background informations of the Buffalo - Los Angeles deal the GM made on draft day of 2008?

LA had an extra pick out of a trade they made with Dallas a few months back. They were slot to select at 12 but they felt the player they really want, Colton Teubert, would still be available a few picks later and wanted to move down.

They had a deal in place, which came to the ear of Buffalo Sabres Darcy Regier. They were about to pick next, at 13, and wanted Tyler Myers. They were scared the team moving up to 12 would steal Myers away from them, so they outbid the other (unknown) team to let LA gain an extra pick (3rd rd) while only moving down one spot.

Where it get interesting, is from that web site I am not sure if it's 100/100 reliable: Anatomy of a draft pick

They claim in order to make the team, LA had to be sure Buffalo would draft Teubert. So both GM wrote down the name of the prospect they wanted on a piece of paper, and exchanged it. I just find this extremely amusing, and if someone could back up the information I'd find that interesting.

What makes it even more weird is that all those teams were desperate to get their guy, while Ottawa was really happy to find Karlsson at 15.

Obviously, the trade ripple effect go furhter on with Myers being traded to Winnipeg later on, and all.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
The link you shared pretty much covered it. Reminds me a little bit of Boston offering #5 and #37 to Washington for #4 in 2006. The Caps were happy to do the deal assuming Boston wasn't going to take their guy. They asked the Boston rep who they intended to take and he said Nicklas Backstrom. Washington then declined the deal.

Speaking of Karlsson, the rumor was that Anaheim was targeting him. Anaheim wanted to replenish their farm after depleting it en route to the 2007 Cup. So they moved the #12 pick for #17 and #28 with the rationale that Karlsson ought to still be available at #17. Ottawa probably had an idea of Anaheim's plans, so they traded up from #18 to #15 to snipe Karlsson. In the moment, Karlsson was a bit of late riser. Knee jerk reaction was that they reached.

Reactions: De Montreal

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
You're unlikely to find that, friend. This is one of those things - at this level of detail - you don't really like to have leak out. It kind of takes away from the professionalism of the whole thing...but if you saw how these guys operated, sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes...sometimes it's a bunch of booze buddies playing fantasy sports really...

I've been to a number of drafts, I've been fortunate enough to hang around some of these discussions and interact with a lot of people in and around the business. I don't have much doubt about the veracity of the story...but sometimes some amateurs (journalists) report out some things that really shouldn't leave those walls...like the Joe Thornton thing from before...this probably qualifies. I don't think a Bob or an Elliotte would report that, that's a story they tell over a tequila some day...

Reactions: De Montreal

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
36733_898892450194_4067267_n.jpg

I attended the 2010 Draft and had a front row seat near Washington's table for the 2nd day. At some point, Brian Burke started walking from table to table asking shopping his 4th round pick. Eventually he found a taker with the Capitals who would take Phillip Grubauer.

Definitely was cool to watch a (minor) trade happen within an earshot. Also was hilarious that it wasn't too much different than us normal Joes at a fantasy draft.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
Seriously...I'm not sure what I expected...but I mean, I've been in some pretty involved fantasy leagues (50+ man rosters, dynasty leagues, a couple of hundos, etc.) and, it's fairly similar in the show...gives me hope of being a GM one day haha

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wish I had taken a video of Burke.

(walks to one table)
"Any interest in my 4th rounder?"
"No."
(walks to next table)
"Any interest in my 4th rounder?"
"No."
(walks to next table)

I sat by St. Louis' table during the first round in 2015 (I was hoping to work up the nerve to ask Brodeur to autograph my jersey). The Blues didn't have a first round pick that year. At one point I looked over, and their table was like a dozen guys staring into space not talking to each other. And they didn't budge for several minutes. Just funny to see them look like they were in detention rather than a draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad