2008 prospects

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
You must be thinking Tavares... he's an 09 and is a clear favorite to go #1 overall at this point.
Not so sure I'd say that anymore with a few other players being just as good just not with the same kind of exposure this kid has had.

Kuchin, and Anthony are pretty damn good players too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not so sure I'd say that anymore with a few other players being just as good just not with the same kind of exposure this kid has had.

This could very well be true. I haven't seen ANYTHING from Kuchin yet, so I really have no clue what kind of game he plays or how good he will be. Hopefully I get the chance in the next year.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
This could very well be true. I haven't seen ANYTHING from Kuchin yet, so I really have no clue what kind of game he plays or how good he will be. Hopefully I get the chance in the next year.
Definitely. He could be a great player, but I wonder what his main position is at times with how much he gets moved around. He could be just as successful at defense as forward in my opinion.

How are those Canes and Lacerte looking, by the way? ;)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Definitely. He could be a great player, but I wonder what his main position is at times with how much he gets moved around. He could be just as successful at defense as forward in my opinion.

How are those Canes and Lacerte looking, by the way? ;)

haha, as long as he keeps going like he is in the league the Calder looks likely. Putting him on a line with Staal and Williams on run and gun = goal fest.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
haha, as long as he keeps going like he is in the league the Calder looks likely. Putting him on a line with Staal and Williams on run and gun = goal fest.
Nash is doing much the same for me, but I can't see to string some wins together, which is frustrating. :P

Blackjag

Jul 17, 2006
Calgary, AB

i've definitely heard about Tavares and heard a bit of Kuchin too but who is the anthony fellow:dunno:

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Steve Anthony is a poor man's Crosby. Outrageous numbers and they're both from Nova Scotia.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Steve Anthony is a poor man's Crosby. Outrageous numbers and they're both from Nova Scotia.

Steve Anthony to me, looks like he is going to be a Joe Thornton clone

Andrei Kuchin to me looks like an Alexander Mogilny type

Tavares is the fav right now, just like Spezza was but Anthony and Kuchin, Rajala, Paajarvi, could all catch up come draft time. Never know what till happen, just like Spezzas draft, no one thought anyone would surpass Spezza, Kovachluck when 1st that year

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chris Doyle. I know he is a 90', but im not sure if he is a late birthday, i think he is a 08' eligible player. Ive played with him and i belive he could be a high pick in that draft. Probably top 3 scorers in the draft class.

As for the 09' draft, again im not sure if these two have late birthdays, but what about Travis Randell and Brandon Street, two Newfs.

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Chris Doyle. I know he is a 90', but im not sure if he is a late birthday, i think he is a 08' eligible player. Ive played with him and i belive he could be a high pick in that draft. Probably top 3 scorers in the draft class.

As for the 09' draft, again im not sure if these two have late birthdays, but what about Travis Randell and Brandon Street, two Newfs.

Chris Doyle is awsome eh and he is 2008, fast skater, great hands and one of the best shooters and goal scorers I have seen.

Travis Randell IMO will be a top 10 pick if he keeps going the way he is for 2009, hits like a truck, super strong, super smooth on the ice, great passer with knowledge and vision, and a good goal scorer, plays two was to.

When I seen Street he was hurt, so I am not going to make any claims with him because he was not impressive, but he was hurt at the time.

Big Daddy

Dec 16, 2005
I like Luke Schenn, dman from Kelowna. He's an 89 but is 08 eligible. Has good size, very physical, good first pass, and hockey sense.

I also like Kyle Beach from Everett. Big kid, skilled, very physical and certainly a kid who gets under opposing players skin. Hope he can control his temper though.

Lance Bouma is a kid from Vancouver. Very impressive in his call ups last season.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
i might need some more explanation

there really isn't much to explain in 2009 SO FAR there are the big 5:

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

come draft time anyone of these 5 players could catch up and pass Tavares, no matter how good Tavares is right now, you are never a lock as Jason Spezza proved that time where everyone thought no one would catch him and Kovalchuk came out to surpass him in the draft.

All 5 of these players are extremley extroidinary players.

and for the Steve Anthonoy comparison, he is big, skates like the wind, agilie, great vision and awarness, great passer and anticipation, likes to score goals as well, uses his big frame, always creating offense out there, very poised and a very slick puck handler with good moves. He has to learn to use his body more to hit but besides that the way he plays on the ice is like Thornton.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

come draft time anyone of these 5 players could catch up and pass Tavares, no matter how good Tavares is right now, you are never a lock as Jason Spezza proved that time where everyone thought no one would catch him and Kovalchuk came out to surpass him in the draft.

and for the Steve Anthonoy comparison, he is big, skates like the wind, agilie, great vision and awarness, great passer and anticipation, likes to score goals as well, uses his big frame, always creating offense out there, very poised and a very slick puck handler with good moves. He has to learn to use his body more to hit but besides that the way he plays on the ice is like Thornton.

Kuchin played at the Prospects tourney in Toronto back in May. I'm not informed as to what he had done before playing in Toronto, but he did very little there to suggest to me that he should come close to being placed in any "big 5" of top overall players.

As I posted at the time, he has quick, soft hands, some nice dangles and a deceptive shot, but that's about it. Couldn't really judge his skating, because he never took more than a few strides without coasting around. He didn't chase down loose pucks, he goalsucked and he bailed out on a couple of hits in the final game in the kind of blatant way that would make most Major Junior coaches tell him to take off his gear between periods. One of those players you like from 20 feet out, but hate in the other 180 feet.

My bottom line request: please don't hype this guy into another message boards legend without watching him play first.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Kuchin played at the Prospects tourney in Toronto back in May. I'm not informed as to what he had done before playing in Toronto, but he did very little there to suggest to me that he should come close to being placed in any "big 5" of top overall players.

As I posted at the time, he has quick, soft hands, some nice dangles and a deceptive shot, but that's about it. Couldn't really judge his skating, because he never took more than a few strides without coasting around. He didn't chase down loose pucks, he goalsucked and he bailed out on a couple of hits in the final game in the kind of blatant way that would make most Major Junior coaches tell him to take off his gear between periods. One of those players you like from 20 feet out, but hate in the other 180 feet.

My bottom line request: please don't hype this guy into another message boards legend without watching him play first.

actually there, maybe you should ask before you assume, I did see him play with the east cost selects, and he was one of the most dominante players on the ice along with Matt Duchene. Kuchin was awsome and displayed speed on his skates, he did glid when he got into the attacking zone, but he was already moving faster than the other players even when gliding. He does have nice dangle and shooting, I find him better than Zherdev was at that age, since I seen them both play around the same age.

Blackjag

Jul 17, 2006
Calgary, AB

1. John Tavares
2. Steve Anthony
3. Andrei Kuchin
4. Magnus Paajarvi
5. Toni Rajala

no i mean who are those people

seadog

Nov 8, 2005
i was just wondering if anyone could fill me in on the sea dogs first pick this year yann sauve?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
actually there, maybe you should ask before you assume, I did see him play with the east cost selects, and he was one of the most dominante players on the ice along with Matt Duchene. Kuchin was awsome and displayed speed on his skates, he did glid when he got into the attacking zone, but he was already moving faster than the other players even when gliding. He does have nice dangle and shooting, I find him better than Zherdev was at that age, since I seen them both play around the same age.

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest you hadn't seen him play. I just meant that it would be ridiculous for one poster to put this player in any "big 5" for the age group, and then everyone else on here piles on the "could go first overall" bandwagon without watching him for themselves.

Having said that, I will now view your particular posts in a different light if you are going to refer to Kuchin's performance at Prospects as "dominante" [sic] and "awsome" [sic]. In my opinion, he showed himself to be a skilled player with the puck from inside the top of the circles; junk everywhere else. He looks like he is "moving faster than the other players even when gliding" because he flies the defensive zone five seconds before his defenseman even gains possession, so he has no choice but to glide until the rush catches up with him.

I saw a player who is totally one dimensional, and that one dimension is not in the same universe of a player like Chistov, who I saw extensively when he played for Georgetown at 15 years old, or Kovalchuk, who I saw in every exhibition and tourney game before/at the U-17 in Timmins (including the infamous Newmarket Gong Show).

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
no i mean who are those people

Toni Rajala is a Finnish center, who statistically speaking had the most impressive season ever by a 14-year-old Finn in 2005-06. He also became the first underaged player in history to be selected to Finland's U16 national team.

Rajala is known for his goalscoring and playmaking abilities, but he's a bit small for his age at 5'8''. And like all the other 2009 prospects, he's still just a kid who might not even play hockey in three years. I recommend being patient with them and trying not to overhype them too much within the following few seasons.

hockeyRookie

Apr 18, 2006
Chris Doyle is awsome eh and he is 2008, fast skater, great hands and one of the best shooters and goal scorers I have seen.

Travis Randell IMO will be a top 10 pick if he keeps going the way he is for 2009, hits like a truck, super strong, super smooth on the ice, great passer with knowledge and vision, and a good goal scorer, plays two was to.

When I seen Street he was hurt, so I am not going to make any claims with him because he was not impressive, but he was hurt at the time.

Chris Doyle is a good player, but he did not impress much during the U17 between PEI and NB. Let's wait and see after xmas and see what he accomplish with the Rockets.....

fullspeed

Jul 21, 2006
west coast

looking at 09 i needd to think right Jared Cowen 6'5 D man from sask is a sure fire top pick and Landon Ferraro from BC should be their as weel with Ryan Howse from BC.
Cole Penner Alberta and Cody eakin as well.
as far as 90
Colton Teubert is top of class, followed by David toews (younger bro)
other than that tyler myers kyle beech jordan eberle brandon rowinski eric meystery.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
looking at 09 i needd to think right Jared Cowen 6'5 D man from sask is a sure fire top pick and Landon Ferraro from BC should be their as weel with Ryan Howse from BC.
Cole Penner Alberta and Cody eakin as well.
as far as 90
Colton Teubert is top of class, followed by David toews (younger bro)
other than that tyler myers kyle beech jordan eberle brandon rowinski eric meystery.

I would not put David Toews ahead of players such as Geordie Wudrick, Kyle Beech, Mitch Wahl, Eric Mysetery, Jordan Trach, and Dale Hunt, Tyler Shuttock, Neil Prokop.

Plus for 2008 from the WHL guys who are late 89 borth days Zach Boychuck, Luke Schenn, Joel Broda, Matt Sokol.

I think David Toews might be a little overrated and him playing with Kelsey Tessier (who could also make a push for the 1st round of the 2008 draft) has benifited his offensive numbers ALOT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad