2007 USA team, whats next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Remax said:
Ok so what you are say is this team:

The team overall would have had. Eaves, Collins, Guerrieo, Sertich, Sterling, Gauthier, Shannon, Stempniak and more. With guys like Irmen and Nystrom playing a 4th line checking role maybe.

On D it would have been. Matt and Andy Greene, Alberts, Welch, Carle, Stuart, Yandle, Cashman. And more

Goal would have been Jimmy Howard and David McKee.

And again thats just taking a quick look at last year. A totally different team then the one that was sent. You have to remember some of these guys are 21-24 years old. It makes a world of difference. No way that team losses.

Gagne--Lecavalier--Nash
Carter--Richards--Crosby
Staal--Spezza--Horton
Weiss--Bergeron--Lupul

Phaneuf--Bouwmeester
Eminger--Seabrook
Colaiacovo--Weber

Fleury
Raycroft

Give me a break, I would be surprised if that team you listed could beat this team 1 time in 10 games.

Umm...are we comparing Canadians to Americans again? Last I checked Team USA couldn't bring in Canadians. Or are you just that far off topic.

VOB...good to see an even keeled thought process. Yes there's no question the CHL has a wealth of talent also. Could Team USA include more CHL players? Good chance of it...just as Team Canada has the potential to improve even more by bringing in more NCAA players. But I wasn't involved in the selection process and many posters here weren't either. Loading Team USA full of CHL players just because...is definitely the wrong thing to do.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
5mn Major said:
Umm...are we comparing Canadians to Americans again? Last I checked Team USA couldn't bring in Canadians. Or are you just that far off topic.

MN_Gopher was saying that last year if the USA could have brought 21-24 year old players that were playing in the NCAA then they would have dominated any team. I was simply showing that the Canadian team would have been much better as well and the US team would not even come close. I know I didn't just include players still in Juniors, but that was a slip up on my part, I could redo the team with players still in Juniors but decided not to as our Jrs. can't play up to 24yr old.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
VOB said:
C'mon VOB. Thats twice now with the remedial remarks. Get some new material. At least try a bit. Its becoming no fun. I have come to expect more from you.

O.K Goph, I now see that you took my comments to mean re-enrolling at your local middle school and asking your old shop teacher for help in these matters. Not to worry though, I can help you! Yes, it has been some time since I've worked with, well how can I put this gently....with "special" students but I think you have potential. Now don't think I'm some miracle worker and will be able to help you earn that elusive GED but I can and will (for the sanity of all on this board!) increase your reading comprehension level.

One favor though Goph, you've wasted enough space in this thread (and on this board in general!) so rather than post your typical adolescent reply, just P.M me and we will begin our lessons from there.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
VOB said:
MN_Gopher said:
O.K Goph, I now see that you took my comments to mean re-enrolling at your local middle school and asking your old shop teacher for help in these matters. Not to worry though, I can help you! Yes, it has been some time since I've worked with, well how can I put this gently....with "special" students but I think you have potential. Now don't think I'm some miracle worker and will be able to help you earn that elusive GED but I can and will (for the sanity of all on this board!) increase your reading comprehension level.

One favor though Goph, you've wasted enough space in this thread (and on this board in general!) so rather than post your typical adolescent reply, just P.M me and we will begin our lessons from there.

Can lesson one be how to P.M. I just cannot figure it out.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
5mn Major said:
Show me that damning evidence pls...

I'll show you two pieces of evidence, although I acknowledge you won't consider it as such:

1. The numerous WJC gold medals hanging on the wall in the Hockey Canada offices in Calgary.

2. The paychecks cashed by over 50% of the players in the NHL every two weeks.

However, I will make note of your opinion that the relative future success of CHL players is due largely to the fact that the CHL as a whole attracts better players in the first place.

Last edited:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
There is no disputing the fact that over 53% of all current NHL players hailed from the CHL, compared to 20% from the NCAA. There is no disputing the fact that the majority of the better players in the NHL are either from the CHL or Europe and that some of the brightest young stars are recent CHL grads.

Does that really refute 5mn Major's argument though? I am not so sure. He is claiming that the CHL is "better" simply because it attracts more of the higher end players. Does the CHL do a better job in developing those players, however, compared to another league. That is much harder to answer.

Now getting back the whole USA - NCAA/CHL thing, the powers that be at USA Hockey need to realize that there are a growing number of high end Americans choosing the CHL route and they should be given a long look when constructing the national U-20 team. Not just because they play in the CHL but because they happen to be among the better players.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Now if the CHL is and always will attract better players. Why are the likes of, Cogliano, Zajac, Towes, Chucko and Fast all choosing the NCAA. Is the list of Americans going the other way bigger, yes. But those are not Peter Kennedy's. They are 1st and 2nd round players. After growing up in Canada, playing in the canadian system. They still choose the NCAA? Ever read the article on why Kris Chucko chose the NCAA. He himself stated it was for better devolpment of his game. But i ll take your guys' word over the actual players.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
No one ever said the CHL attracts "ALL" the top talent, merely the majority of it. For proof, you only need to take a look at the recent NHL entry drafts. Even this year, a supposedly down year for the CHL, 22 of the top 30 N.A. rated players come from the CHL.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
OK so I still haven't seen any evidence that the CHL is a better development league...and frankly I never really cared that much.

But at what point do posters stop feeling the need to defend the CHL's honor - which has long since past the point where it looks like bragging about Canadian hockey - and actually start talking about Team USA on a Team USA thread?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
VOB said:
No one ever said the CHL attracts "ALL" the top talent, merely the majority of it. For proof, you only need to take a look at the recent NHL entry drafts. Even this year, a supposedly down year for the CHL, 22 of the top 30 N.A. rated players come from the CHL.

Yeah and the cool thing is there is one current gopher and 3 future gophers on that list. With two more looking to make noise in the second half.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I have a few questions for all of you that are implying that the NCAA is such a horrible developmental league, etc. (and please spare me the smart alec answers)

1) If the NCAA is as bad at developing talent (regardless where they come from) as several of you have implied, then why is it scouted so heavily year in and year out by the NHL? I can't even begin to tell you all how many scouts show up, not only at the Frozen Four but also the Beanpot, the GLI (which BTW, takes place at the same time as the WJC), CHS and various other tournaments and/or marquee weekend matchups around the NCAA throughout the season. These people aren't there so they can take in the experience sitting next to a rowdy student section at some ice rink on a college campus, they're there to watch and evaluate the players.

2) Why is it each year that there are many excellent CANADIANS choosing to play in the NCAA instead of the CHL?

3) Why do players such as Phil Kessel turn down the opportunity to play in the CHL and choose the NCAA instead? (and please give a better answer than "because mom and dad insisted on it").

4) A few months back I was reading in the Canadian press that Bob Nicholson (I believe that's his name), who heads Hockey Canada was pondering the idea of further limiting the number of "foreign-born" players playing in the CHL in favor of Canadians (something to do with national pride, if memory serves me correctly). If I'm not mistaken here, the CHL already HAS a rule in place that states that only an 'x' number of foreign-born players can be on each team's roster in a given season. If that is indeed the case and Nicholson's "proposal" becomes reality (although I can't see that happening myself), then how is it that the CHL will be able to attract MORE top end American-born talent than it already can? I have to think that if the CHL is suppose to be the "be-all, end-all" developmental league for the NHL (as many of have touted it to be), then surely they wouldn't want to be limited by Hockey Canada (or any other entity for that matter) to go out and get as many of the top end talent OUTSIDE of Canada as possible playing in THEIR league.

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
The last time I heard, only 50% of the first rounders make it in the NHL and less after each round, I think development should include these athletes brains too. Too many of these CHL kids have put their education on hold in pursuit of the golden egg and most will never play in it. Then what? College hockey gives the best "all around" development for any hockey player. If your good enough to make it in the pros, it doesn't matter if you play in the CHL or College.

Just check out where the bulk of old NHL players, CHL owners/managers, etc are sending their sons to play hockey. NCAA.

Finally, the USA will get better in international competition. It will take them figuring out how to put together the best "TEAM", not the best individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad