2007 USA team, whats next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know, I know, we are so far away from this, but man I am getting pumped up again for next years WJC! Maybe because I am still sick to my stomache about the way the American team choked, that I really would like to rebound asap and win the gold again. I really do feel the American team will be the front-runner again alongside Canada, but that obviously didnt get us anywhere this year. I wish what our team looks like on paper could translate better to on ice results.

Canada may rely on another young team next year with the likes of Esposito and Tavares in the running. IMO this could be a bad thing for Canada to again have to rely on a young group of players. I know they will have a decent amount of returning players, but I really dont think they will have a dominant team next year, kind of like the one they had this year....which still won the gold! I am not downing Canada, I am just trying to find a sliver of hope here for us Americans.

We really need to do something about our selection process. It really stinks. We need to have a camp the way Canada does, just before the tournament. This will get our guys acclimated with one another again and actually matter by bringing in the guys who up till that moment are the most deserving of it. I know college schedules and classes has something to do with this, but the process has to change.

I believe in the NTDP, it has done so much for this country's hockey, that I dont think we will finish past fourth place again. But we really need to spread out and stop relying so much on this program and its players. The CHL was loaded with young American players that we "should" have taken this year. I know they were trying to put a team together that was familiar with one another, but how familiar are you with someone who you plays against a few times a year? Playing on all-star squads, I didnt play any better with a guy who I played against 2-3 times. It didnt make a difference. That thought process doesnt really make sense. I would want to pick the guys who are more familiar with our opponents/main opponent (Canada), instead. These guys in the CHL play against Canadian players and some euros all year, they know first hand what we are up against.

I am just getting a little tired of not seeing the best players taken for this tourney for whatever the reason. Chris Butler, Taylor Chorney, and Matt Niskanen where almost invisible most nights. I am not picking on these guys because I wanted Niskanen on this team, but man wouldnt Michael Sauer and his physical play, Matt Lashoff's leadership and cool under pressure approach helped out so much?

We need to stop making excuses and do what Canada does...PICK THE BEST PLAYERS! I am not saying this is why we lost this year, our team was great the way it was, but obviously something was missing. We have a great group of guys coming back next year, with maybe both Johnsons and Kessel probably not coming back. If Chicago takes Mueller I dont think you will see him either. These are all ifs and either way it will be a great team next year. We will not be finishing 5-7th anymore and thats good, I think we finally have the right direction and depth to not have this happen anymore. We just need to put it all together and start winning when we have the better teams.

My picks for 07'
Defense
Bobby Sanguinetti- amazing talent, will be needed so much next year with his offense. We better not snub this CHL stud.

Nigel Williams- will be top15 pick this year, will be next years version of Erik Johnson. Monster who can skate, will be as dominating as either of the Johnsons.

Michael Sauer- PLEASE PICK HIM! Solid as a rock, hits like a train, and by the way scores in bunches. Again, CHL snubbed, but we will see the light on him.

Joey Ryan- my wild card. Plays a real tough game in Quebec junior league, is rising so much, come draft time may be a top 35-40 pick. solid like a rock, loves to hit.

Offense
Kyle Okposo- might be a top 10 pick, plays all around game, can hit, skate, and score. what more do you really need?

Michael Forney- see Okposo above. Might be another top 10 pick. He is no longer a secret and will prove his worth in college next year. Just a bull.

Andy Inderieden- super power forward. will crash through a wall if he has to. also can skate and score pretty darn good. dont be surprised when hes taken first round.

Jordan LaValle- should have made this team this year. another power forward who is having a monster year in the Quebec league. reminds me of an Adam Deadmarsh.

Blake Geoffrion- every team needs a guy like this. Joel Otto mold, may never score more then 20, but will stick up for his guys every night. I love his character.

Nick Foligno- dont care what some scouts are saying, will be a first round pick. plays a physical game, and is gifted offensively. needs to put it all together for next season.

Ryan Flynn- another guy who will get picked first round. doesnt get much talk, but he is such a promising forward. Like Oshie with physical game, but this kid can score more and skate harder then T.J.

What a group of forwards this is. They will be able to knock everyone out of the rink every game. Next years squad could be such a power team with Bobby Ryan, Jack Skille, and Peter Mueller coming back. All of these guys can skate too, this is just my opinion, but I would build a power team that can skate, that will take it Canada and Russia unrelenting.

I think our defense will be such a blessing next year too. Brian Lee should be back, I strongly feel one of the Johnsons will be here, Mark Mitera is reminding me more of a Mark Stuart(thats a real good thing), and Taylor Chorney might not get the returning nod this year, he didnt do too much in my eyes to warrant a return. The thought of Sanguinetti, Sauer, Williams, E.Johnson(yes i think erik), Lee, Mitera, and Joey Ryan will be very hard for any country to out-do. I am very excited about these groups of kids. Also Billy Sauer will be in goal, no doubt on that one.
Well these are my long and boring thoughts, Canada will be a great team again next year, but hey what the heck, I think we got a great shot. Any thoughts?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
How I see the team next year:

Goalie:
Billy Sauer
Jeff Frazee

Defense:
Erik Johnson
Brian Lee
Mark Mitera
Nick Petricki ( a super d-man who should have a spot on the team next year)
Bobby Sanguinetti (CHL or not...he is going to be on the team)
Nigel Williams
Joey Ryan (super tough and mean...you need him)

Forward:
Phil Kessel (I think he will be back..still has things to work on)
Bobby Ryan (I think he will be on this team next year)
Kyle Okposo
Peter Mueller (I think he will be back in the WHL next year for one more year)
Jimmy O'Brien (I think he is one of the bright future players forthe USA_
Nathan Gerbe (Ball of energy that is tough as nails)
Jack Skille
Mike Forney
Nick Foligno
Blake Geoffrion
Ryan Stoa
Tom Fritsche
Ryan Flynn

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
scoutman1 said:
How I see the team next year

You have six current or future Gophers listed. I don't know that they would take that many players from one college team. In fact, your list could have seven players for Minnesota as O'Brien could very well commit to Minnesota. I just don't see them taking that many from one club even if they deserve it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's a crime that both LaValle and Sauer did not make this years team. I attribute part of their downfall DUE to that fact, to be honest.

Sauer should be the starting goalie next year. He's already light years ahead of Frazee.

Dave D

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Pat Kane?

What about Pat Kane, this kid is a hell of a talent and has led nearly every tournament in scoring that he has played in in the last several years. He is also the offensive catalyst of the U18 team.

I think he deserves serious consideration for next year or even the year after.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Canada will have 12 returning players next year - assuming they all do, they will be the hands on favorite and will have a better team then they did this year. The US should have a better team then they had this year too. They both will be expected compete to win it all.

I noticed you said Canada picks the best players. Actually I'm make a correction. They picked the best Team - there was some contraversy about the player selection and a lot of "talented players" left off the team.

Winning starts at the top. Canada had that right down to its coach - Brent Sutter and were the best team in the tourney.

The US was lost in its on ice chemistry and a lot of that has to do with the coaching staff. It didn't have a clue as to how to use Schremp and Ryan and they team never jelled.

Most telling - IF YOU RELY ON A 17 YEAR OLD KID TO LEAD YOUR TEAM IN THE WORLD JUNIORS, YOU WILL NEVER WIN. Not a jab against Kessel, just a jab at the US coaching staff.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Canada is the EASY favorite for next year, IMO. If they don't win it all again with all the returning players and experiance they will have than it will be an absolute SEVERE disapointment for their club. Their team should be amazing next year. USA should be strong, but after seeing this year I think they are second fiddle to the Canadians most definately.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Dave D said:
What about Pat Kane, this kid is a hell of a talent and has led nearly every tournament in scoring that he has played in in the last several years. He is also the offensive catalyst of the U18 team.

I think he deserves serious consideration for next year or even the year after.

any chance Mr. Kane will report to the Knights next year in the OHL? What uni is he going to?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Let's just call a spade a spade, because I am sure a lot of people on here are thinking the same thing:

Forget about nationalities. Other than the occasional fluke, in the WJC tournament format, a team comprised predominantly of NTDP/NCAA players will rarely if ever outperform a team comprised predominantly of CHL players.

The style of play, the shortness and intensity of the tournament - I think they all favour players who developed their games in the CHL. "The success of the NTDP is not gauged on wins and losses, but on the development of skills and acquiring experience", according to their website. That's very sweet, but show me someone who isn't concerned with winning, and I'll show you a loser.

These players then go on to the NCAA, where they never have to grind out a 4 out of 7 playoff series; they play two games over a weekend and wait a week to play again; they see more hitting, smothering defense and in-your-face hockey in a single game against Canada than they do in four years worth of Beanpot Tournaments.

Sorry if I am offending the pro-NCAA crowd, but if anyone can think of a better reason for the USA's annual World Junior pooch screwing, I'm all ears.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Juan said:
Let's just call a spade a spade, because I am sure a lot of people on here are thinking the same thing:

Forget about nationalities. Other than the occasional fluke, in the WJC tournament format, a team comprised predominantly of NTDP/NCAA players will rarely if ever outperform a team comprised predominantly of CHL players.

The style of play, the shortness and intensity of the tournament - I think they all favour players who developed their games in the CHL. "The success of the NTDP is not gauged on wins and losses, but on the development of skills and acquiring experience", according to their website. That's very sweet, but show me someone who isn't concerned with winning, and I'll show you a loser.

These players then go on to the NCAA, where they never have to grind out a 4 out of 7 playoff series; they play two games over a weekend and wait a week to play again; they see more hitting, smothering defense and in-your-face hockey in a single game against Canada than they do in four years worth of Beanpot Tournaments.

Sorry if I am offending the pro-NCAA crowd, but if anyone can think of a better reason for the USA's annual World Junior pooch screwing, I'm all ears.

The NCAA does not send its best players. If the tournament was for non-AHL/NHL players the NCAA heavy team would blow out anybody. The NCAA may not play as many games but they do practice during the week. Getting their players better all the time.

And you must not watch a lot of NCAA hockey. The WJC always seems much more open to me. The NCAA does call penalties tight and does not allow fighting but watch a big rival game. BC/BU, MN/WI/NoDak, MI/State, those games are very physical. Last year in the playoffs the MN/Cornel and Maine games. Those were 1-0 and 2-1. Both into OT. It was so tight out there i thought i was watching a wild game. And the games were on Olympic ice, still no room at all.

American hockey in the junior ranks and in the NCAA has really only picked up in the last 6 years. And i beileve there is a gold medal in that time. And at least one u18 gold in there too. America does not really have the luxury of picking the right team yet though. There about 30 players with a chance to make the team. I bet Canada has well over that. And they can specialize the team and pick the right players. Give team USA about 2-3 more years. And then you will start to see talented players left off for role players. Then we will really compete. Earl is about the only guy i can think of that got snubbed because he may not have been that team guy.

The national devolpment teams moto. Remember these are teen-age boys going to Michagen to play hockey. They are not selling their moto to players. Its to parents who want their kids to become mature. My mom would never have bought this "Come play for team USA, get chicks, play hockey, and win, oh yeah school and sportsmanship stuff also included."

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Juan said:

I am not sure conditioning played that much of a factor into it but the U.S. left off some very solid CHL players who would have made a difference.

The downfall to both the 05 and 06 U.S. teams was a soft defense and their inability to cope with a physical style. Despite what some little gopher on this board might tell you, the NCAA is much less physical than the CHL. In both the Russia and Canada game, the American defense had a difficult time coping with the intense forechecking and battling along the wall and down low.

I truly hope that changes will be made in the way USA Hockey chooses its team.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
VOB said:
I am not sure conditioning played that much of a factor into it but the U.S. left off some very solid CHL players who would have made a difference.

The downfall to both the 05 and 06 U.S. teams was a soft defense and their inability to cope with a physical style. Despite what some little gopher on this board might tell you, the NCAA is much less physical than the CHL. In both the Russia and Canada game, the American defense had a difficult time coping with the intense forechecking and battling along the wall and down low.

I truly hope that changes will be made in the way USA Hockey chooses its team.

if you think the CHL is a more physical league it may be. Only by the way the refs call a game. If you think the CHL are more physical players you need your head examined.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
if you think the CHL is a more physical league it may be. Only by the way the refs call a game. If you think the CHL are more physical players you need your head examined.

This coming from someone who has probably never seen a live CHL game in his life.

ndhockey21

Aug 1, 2004
North Dakota
scoutman1 said:
How I see the team next year:

Goalie:
Billy Sauer
Jeff Frazee

Defense:
Erik Johnson
Brian Lee
Mark Mitera
Nick Petricki ( a super d-man who should have a spot on the team next year)
Bobby Sanguinetti (CHL or not...he is going to be on the team)
Nigel Williams
Joey Ryan (super tough and mean...you need him)

Forward:
Phil Kessel (I think he will be back..still has things to work on)
Bobby Ryan (I think he will be on this team next year)
Kyle Okposo
Peter Mueller (I think he will be back in the WHL next year for one more year)
Jimmy O'Brien (I think he is one of the bright future players forthe USA_
Nathan Gerbe (Ball of energy that is tough as nails)
Jack Skille
Mike Forney
Nick Foligno
Blake Geoffrion
Ryan Stoa
Tom Fritsche
Ryan Flynn

How is T.J. Oshie left off this team when he was easily one of the most noticable and hardest workers for the team this year?

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
ndhockey21 said:
How is T.J. Oshie left off this team when he was easily one of the most noticable and hardest workers for the team this year?

He is not eligible to return next year. The next WJC will be for players born 1987 and younger.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
MN_Gopher said:
The NCAA does not send its best players. If the tournament was for non-AHL/NHL players the NCAA heavy team would blow out anybody. The NCAA may not play as many games but they do practice during the week. Getting their players better all the time.

And you must not watch a lot of NCAA hockey. The WJC always seems much more open to me. The NCAA does call penalties tight and does not allow fighting but watch a big rival game. BC/BU, MN/WI/NoDak, MI/State, those games are very physical. Last year in the playoffs the MN/Cornel and Maine games. Those were 1-0 and 2-1. Both into OT. It was so tight out there i thought i was watching a wild game. And the games were on Olympic ice, still no room at all.

American hockey in the junior ranks and in the NCAA has really only picked up in the last 6 years. And i beileve there is a gold medal in that time. And at least one u18 gold in there too. America does not really have the luxury of picking the right team yet though. There about 30 players with a chance to make the team. I bet Canada has well over that. And they can specialize the team and pick the right players. Give team USA about 2-3 more years. And then you will start to see talented players left off for role players. Then we will really compete. Earl is about the only guy i can think of that got snubbed because he may not have been that team guy.

The national devolpment teams moto. Remember these are teen-age boys going to Michagen to play hockey. They are not selling their moto to players. Its to parents who want their kids to become mature. My mom would never have bought this "Come play for team USA, get chicks, play hockey, and win, oh yeah school and sportsmanship stuff also included."

"If the tournament was for non-AHL/NHL players the NCAA team would blow out anybody".

Please explain.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Juan said:
"If the tournament was for non-AHL/NHL players the NCAA team would blow out anybody".

Please explain.

It will be easier to base this off of last years team. And i will use only WCHA players. IMO Stafford, O'Sullivan, Hensick and Suter were probally the best four. If Suter was still in the WCHA last year he would would have been the fourth best D man. Behind Mark Stuart, Matt Greene and Matt Carle. Stafford was competing for the best forward on his own team with Zajac(CAN) and Genoway(CAN). And was not even a top 10 player in the WCHA last year. I think Gauthier, Sertich, Sterling, Potulny, Irmen, Backes, Schabe(CAN), Stastny(CAN), Murphy(CAN), Pavelski, and Hirsch and Earl out scored Stafford last year too.

This year if i could make an all WCHA team with only americans it would look like.

Sertich-Sterling-Gauthier
Potulny-Pavelski-Irmen
Kessel-Stafford-Backes
Earl-Dingle-Crabb

Carle-Salcido
Goligoski-Smaby
Sweat-Gilbert

I know i missed some but thats off the top of my head. And thats just the WCHA team of Americans. Guys like Hensick(CCHA) would easily be on team as well. So the WJC team that goes from American and is heavy on NCAA guys does not even use close to the best players from the NCAA. Looking at the Canadian junior team it seemed to be the best the CHL had to offer with some selections up for debate but in general it was the best. Yes i did list some Canadians as the best in the WCHA. But it is much heavier on Americans. That team up there would have walked away with gold in the same tournament.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm just glad that I won't have to see Schremp getting mis-used for another tournament. Hopefully if the Oilers draft anyone that'll be on the next team they'll be playing in another league instead of the CHL. Hopefully Chorney will return and have a great tourney.

Randall Graves*

Hopefully next year, a guy who has a Bourque game(five goal game) doesn't get first line ice time when he isn't talented enough to do something with it.

Jori

MN_Gopher said:
It will be easier to base this off of last years team. And i will use only WCHA players. IMO Stafford, O'Sullivan, Hensick and Suter were probally the best four. If Suter was still in the WCHA last year he would would have been the fourth best D man. Behind Mark Stuart, Matt Greene and Matt Carle. Stafford was competing for the best forward on his own team with Zajac(CAN) and Genoway(CAN). And was not even a top 10 player in the WCHA last year. I think Gauthier, Sertich, Sterling, Potulny, Irmen, Backes, Schabe(CAN), Stastny(CAN), Murphy(CAN), Pavelski, and Hirsch and Earl out scored Stafford last year too.

This year if i could make an all WCHA team with only americans it would look like.

Potulny-Pavelski-Irmen
Kessel-Stafford-Backes
Earl-Dingle-Crabb

Carle-Salcido
Goligoski-Smaby
Sweat-Gilbert

I know i missed some but thats off the top of my head. And thats just the WCHA team of Americans. Guys like Hensick(CCHA) would easily be on team as well. So the WJC team that goes from American and is heavy on NCAA guys does not even use close to the best players from the NCAA. Looking at the Canadian junior team it seemed to be the best the CHL had to offer with some selections up for debate but in general it was the best. Yes i did list some Canadians as the best in the WCHA. But it is much heavier on Americans. That team up there would have walked away with gold in the same tournament.
Stastny is an American citizen.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
MN_Gopher said:

Potulny-Pavelski-Irmen
Kessel-Stafford-Backes
Earl-Dingle-Crabb

Carle-Salcido
Goligoski-Smaby
Sweat-Gilbert

Since you are basing this on last year, shouldn't they have to play last years Team Canada World Junior Team? I just can't see this team challenging them.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I need to take an english class. The team is this years players. Its hard to tell who really is the best for me until i go to the final five. Then players seem to really seperate them selves. Also i do not have a chance to watch all teams play regulary throughout the season. So it was easy to tell who was the best last year vs who actually went. Last years team would have been even better. The d would have been rock solid and would have won gold last year as well.

Stastny was born in Quebec City. So he is like a Brett Hull then? Born in Canada but plays for America. Was not sure. But we will defintly take him. And that would only make the team even better.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
MN_Gopher said:
. Last years team would have been even better. The d would have been rock solid and would have won gold last year as well.

You're delusional. Last years Team Canada World Junior team would have beaten handily anything the US Colleges could send.

Jori

MN_Gopher said:
I need to take an english class. The team is this years players. Its hard to tell who really is the best for me until i go to the final five. Then players seem to really seperate them selves. Also i do not have a chance to watch all teams play regulary throughout the season. So it was easy to tell who was the best last year vs who actually went. Last years team would have been even better. The d would have been rock solid and would have won gold last year as well.

Stastny was born in Quebec City. So he is like a Brett Hull then? Born in Canada but plays for America. Was not sure. But we will defintly take him. And that would only make the team even better.
Born in Canada, but raised in St Louis. Would have had a shot at last year's US U-20 Team if not for the slow start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad