2007 TSN Mock Draft - Turris taken 1st!

ukyote

User, Interrupted
Dec 19, 2005
London, England
This is hilarious, I know the panel are not as connected as most posters on this site!:biglaugh:

I don't pretend to know what each team is going to do in the draft, but I do know that Doug McLean and most of the panel have far more inside knowledge than just about anybody who visits this site. Hell McLean probably saw each of the top prospects several times in person, had access to scouting reports on a daily basis from qualified scouts, you know the kind that actually make a living in the profession. With all the knowledge he has accumulated he is providing a qualified and informed opinion, he is not a 15 year old kid sitting in front of Mom and Dad's computer regurgitating the opinions of others from this site.

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
This is from Mckenzie's analysis of the mock.

Turris, as the No. 1 pick, is not off the wall. There are NHL teams, more than a couple, that believe Turris is the top prospect in this year's draft, but the majority of teams will tell you Kane is No. 1. Kane excelled at the World Junior Championship while Turris was just okay at two U-18 events and there is a big difference between the two. Kane lit up the OHL; Turris tore apart the B.C. Jr. A league. There isn't a huge amount to choose between the two, but most scouts would give the edge to Kane.

No surprise, then, to see Pierre McGuire pick Kane second on behalf of Philadelphia. The Flyers would take that gift if offered.

From the sound of that most people including Bob think Kane is better.

Habitantpeasoup

Jul 5, 2004
Za Great White North
Was not impressed by this draft. I think a lot of the people doing it have very little knowledge about the prospects or team needs. However, I do put a lot of stock into what Bob McKenzie says and his analysis of the mock draft is pretty interesting. Having Doug MacLean come right out and select Kyle Turris for Chicago was Pejorative Slured and got the draft off on the wrong foot from the very beginning. Almost every person thinks that Kane is the best fit for Chicago and while Turris could potentially go #1, it'll only happen if the Blackhawks trade the pick. I think MacLean was selecting merely from his own personal preference rather than giving consideration to which team he was selecting for.

I'd take Turris over Kane:)

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Dammit anyway...

MacLean never got lucky enough to get the first pick when it really counted..

had whacks at Spezza, Alex Ovechkin, and Syd the kid.. and whiffed on all of them.. now he wins the 1st pick in the TSN mock.. DM day late and a dollar short. (Naw he made out like a bandit cash wise:cry:)

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
You know, I could see the Blackhawks taking Turris 1st. Other than Toews, who's the other impact center within the Hawks franchise? The have a lot of good skilled wingers, but not many good young skilled centers.

All what I'm glad about is that my Flyers don't end up with the Hugh Jessiman clone in JVR. For the love of God, I hope Holmgren doesn't draft him.

Projected Line 2:

Bolland
Brophey
Kontiola

For lines 3-4:

Jonas Nordqvist (he played well enough last year to already be on the 3-4 line)
Nate Davis
Dowell
Fraser
Sharp
Hobson

Not that I would be unhappy with Turris or Kane. But what do you think of the centers above? Especially if we add a UFA center this year or next, I think we have some good center possiblities. Our wingers also are of the gritty bigger forward variety with nice shots:

Blunden
Skille
Bourque
Bickell
Burrish
Berti

The case for Kane would be another highly skilled winger opposite Havlat or to add a offensive gamebreaker on another line other than Havlats.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I'd take Turris over Kane:)

I would too.

Kane's size scares me, even with the new NHL rules. I know he did fine in the OHL but the NHL is another dimension. Guys that are big can also skate and I'm not so sure Kane would be able to escape from all of them. He would certainly be a huge target. Turris at least has the frame to get bigger.

As far as Brandon Sutter is concerned, he is certainly coming from the right Sutter. Not all Sutters are equal, but Brent was certainly one of the tougher if not the toughest Sutter.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Interesting that the panel in the TSN mock picked Turris for the Hawks based on "best fit" ...the debate among Chicago fans posting on several boards is
IMMEDIATE (KANE) vs. FUTURE FIT (TURRIS) ...the debate involves position (wing oR centre) fit to line (winger linemate for Toews vs. future #1+#2 double whammy at centre with T+T) ,and it involves current useage issues(KANE would have to play on point on PP since Samsonov will be featured on PP wing =best "fit?);and CAP issues this year and down the line in term of timimg and "staggering" ...
Also involves size issues: Chicago pretty small this year -even without Kane--add him now and 5 smaller finesse guys (Vrbata,Sharp,Williams,SAmsonov+Kane) thus wrong "fit"? Chicago in future could be bigger at wing : BICKELL BLUNDEN BROUWER
SKILLE ....thus question: "fit" kane this year not so good--but beyond ok? OR fit best with bigger Turris (ashe filss out ) in 2-3 years as chicago's big wingers in place ..

Thus "fit" as identity --smaller team that gets pushed around,or bigger team that dictates control?

How exactly then did TSN's panel define "FIT"?

I agree Turris is the better "fit" for Chicago --mainly because it is easier to draft smaller finesse scorers or get them as nCAA free agents than it is,has been and always willbe to draft cream of the crop CENTRES or get them (top centres) as ufa's... PLus fit as to ETA ...even with Kane this year most experts would not expect Chicago to advance much --but by the time tUrris arrives 2-3 yrs hence--Chicago will already be better --a bigger Turris with his skill package is going to be the icing on the cake already starring Toews...in that sense + Cap staggering the entry contracts--it is a better "Fit" for the Hawks...but not a better marketing "fit" ... that would be Kane for insertion this year.

TAllon says he will decide on his final choice by Thursday night after meeting with the sports psychologist after the 3 (Turris,Kane ,JVR ) had 1 last final INTERVIEW..

I'd love to know what questions Tallon asked them,and what they answered... interesting if all the speculation about this came down to the sports psychologist's report and not what the scouting staff recommended as their #1 --if indeed anything changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->