2007 Prospects: Alexei Cherepanov

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
Ladies and Gentlemen, meet the 2007 #1 Draft Pick, Alexei Cherepanov.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I've absolutely loved everything I've seen from him this WJC. Hopefully he's like Ovy and wants to become a great player and decides to head over the NHL as soon as possible.

Edit: Probably should have also read the article before I posted. Really interesting to hear he's an Avalanche fan...hmm...Cherepanov...Avalanche? It works.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think when it's all said and done Cherepanov goes somewhere in the top 5 of the draft. He's got a ton of upside and all sorts of positive qualities that NHL teams look for. He's going to make a push for the #1 overall pick.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think when it's all said and done Cherepanov goes somewhere in the top 5 of the draft. He's got a ton of upside and all sorts of positive qualities that NHL teams look for. He's going to make a push for the #1 overall pick.

We need Cherepanov to get into a Wolski-esque house party fight that lowers his rankings just enough for the Avalanche to select him ;)

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
I've absolutely loved everything I've seen from him this WJC. Hopefully he's like Ovy and wants to become a great player and decides to head over the NHL as soon as possible.

Edit: Probably should have also read the article before I posted. Really interesting to hear he's an Avalanche fan...hmm...Cherepanov...Avalanche? It works.

Chere with the Avs would be nice. Did you see the part where he said he "used" to be a Canadiens fan? That was kind of funny.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
used to be a Habs fan lol

I just worry that a player like this will decide to stay in Russia.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
used to be a Habs fan lol

I just worry that a player like this will decide to stay in Russia.

In turn that may end up pushing teams away. But if the talent is there, I'm sure someone will gamble.

I find it strange though. There seems to be more and more players pushing for a number 1 spot (or at the very least top 5).

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
Has Cherepanov said anything about not coming over? Regardless, I can't imagine that he has a very lengthy contract with Omsk right now.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Maybe when Theodore got traded he changed allegiances.

Cherepanov and Kane have done well for themselves, their draft stock is very high because of this tournament.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Gagner on the other hand was really bad.
I don't know if it will hurt his stock a lot but...

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004

Thats the thing I like most. Now to get him into a bar fight like with Wolski and we could get him ;).

Edit: I actually posted this before I saw your 2nd post in this thread. :D

DreamCatcher*

Didn't Shirokov put up similar numbers but was still projected to go early 2nd round? This may be the same situation with Cherepanov since many teams don't like drafting Russians after so many stories of them being enigmatic.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Didn't Shirokov put up similar numbers but was still projected to go early 2nd round? This may be the same situation with Cherepanov since many teams don't like drafting Russians after so many stories of them being enigmatic.

Shirokov could only dream about 1 point (secondary assist) at WJC or RSL when he was 17.

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I'm sure teams will talk to him to assess what chance they think he has of coming over. If he is going early first round, there is a very good chance he will be making whatever team drafts him within a couple of years, and would want to come over like EM or AO. Of course he should be advised not to sign more than 1 year contracts with his Russian team, or sign a contract with a definate out clause, because he probably doesn't need all the hassle and stress Malkin had to deal with.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
I agree that Cherepanov is an offensively talented prospect that deserves to be highly touted in the 2007 draft, however, I just cannot see him going in the top 5 picks.

I think that until the Russian transfer agreement is signed, Russian prospects are proving to be more of a liability. Teams are finding it increasingly difficult to sign players and retain players within the system once they find their way to North America.

Since this has been the norm with players such as Malkin, Ovechkin, Kaigorodov, Lisin, Semin, Mikhnov, etc over the past few seasons; I find it hard to believe that a GM would consider using a top 10 pick on a player that could possibly be 2-3 years away from even stepping on the ice in North America.

Either the teams face a court injunction and financial liability, or the players become disenfranchised with working their way to the top of the line-up.

My prediction would be a 1st round selection; possibly 15-20th overall. However, having said that, I am sure that some GM will find it too tempting to pass on the offer.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
I find it hard to believe that a GM would consider using a top 10 pick on a player that could possibly be 2-3 years away from even stepping on the ice in North America.

I really don't agree with your comment here - most of the Russian players you mentioned went from Russia directly to the NHL. Most top 10 picks still spend 2-3 years in the college ranks or in juniors before coming to the NHL. When compared like this, there is little difference.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i find this a little funny. about two months ago there where a couple of guys who said he wouldnt even go in the first round. that he was to small an stuff. and now he is fighting for the #1 spot. personally i have allways thought he will go high. i think he is a lock for top 5.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
I really don't agree with your comment here - most of the Russian players you mentioned went from Russia directly to the NHL. Most top 10 picks still spend 2-3 years in the college ranks or in juniors before coming to the NHL. When compared like this, there is little difference.

I do not disagree with your comments.

To clarify, I feel that in addition to a drafted players development (i.e. CHL, RSL, AHL, etc) timeline, Russian players are subject to compounding factors which further exacerbate the normal timeframe.

All things being equal, currently we are seeing contract disputes between the RSL and the NHL. In addition, players are using the RSL as a leverage point against coaches and GMs. These additional obstacles and barriers definitely come into play when a team makes its selection.

Therefore, I can see this situation adversely affecting the draft position of many Russian players.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005
I do not disagree with your comments.

To clarify, I feel that in addition to a drafted players development (i.e. CHL, RSL, AHL, etc) timeline, Russian players are subject to compounding factors which further exacerbate the normal timeframe.

All things being equal, currently we are seeing contract disputes between the RSL and the NHL. In addition, players are using the RSL as a leverage point against coaches and GMs. These additional obstacles and barriers definitely come into play when a team makes its selection.

Therefore, I can see this situation adversely affecting the draft position of many Russian players.

A contract problem does not exist, however, if the player is not signed to a long term RSL contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad