2007 draft

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Eb0la11 said:
Im wondering exactly how good the top 10 or so in the 2007 draft are? Compare them to a few years please, such as the 2006 2005, 2003 drafts.

1. 2003
2. 2005
3. 2007
4. 2004
5. 2006

Thats where I think the 2007 draft may end up. I didn't find the 2006 Draft to be very impressive. The 03 and 05 drafts look pretty impressive. I think the 07 should be between a good and great draft (04-03). Sucks to finish 13th as a Leaf fan and find the talent no where close as it was in 03, 05 or 04.

Last edited:

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
The first few rounds in the 07 draft is very good, lots of good players. But in rounds 5-7, it fades out a bit. I would put the draft above the 05 draft as 2nd below the 03 draft.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
I think this years top 12 is just as good as next years top 12 or so....

but next years is deeper overall.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I find some of these comments regarding 2007 bizarre. Outside of the very top end- like the best 5 or 6- no one really has any idea how good it will be as their is a full season ahead for players to prove themselves. Saying it is weak after the 4th round is just strange before the season has even started.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
steblick said:
I find some of these comments regarding 2007 bizarre. Outside of the very top end- like the best 5 or 6- no one really has any idea how good it will be as their is a full season ahead for players to prove themselves. Saying it is weak after the 4th round is just strange before the season has even started.

Yes, since 1 year before we usually only have a good idea of only the top 10 + the potential 1st and 2nd rounders, after that, its a big fog. But 2007 top 10 is deeper at this point in time. Go Angelo! :D

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Where could I find some information and reviews of the top prospects for 2007 as far as Americans goes???Just want to prepare myself on who the Habs 1st rounder will be..... ;)

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
whitesnake said:
Where could I find some information and reviews of the top prospects for 2007 as far as Americans goes???Just want to prepare myself on who the Habs 1st rounder will be..... ;)

There's Nick Petrecki, whose the top rated defenseman. He's 6'3 205lbs, is a physical force
but doesn't have the offensive tools yet.

I believer Llewellyn, Kane, van Riemsdyke, Malone (2nd overall in QMJHL draft in 2005) are eligible.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
some prospects i know for next years first round (in no order)

angelo esposito
jakub voracek
mark katic
zack torquato
pat kane
sam ganger
colton gillies
nick petrecki
mikael backlund
oscar moller
michal repik
david stich

Last edited:

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
Why is the 2009 draft the one to watch? Someone fill me in?

Its 3 years away. So much can happen in three years!!!

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Alberta Yote said:
And I think the top 10 from this past draft are being underrated.
Me too. At this time last year Kessel and Frolik were coming off commanding performances as underagers at the WJCs and U18s. Mueller was a force at the U18s too. No one fits into that category for 2007- Backlund and Voracek were not as noticeable at the U18s as underagers as Mueller and Kessel had been the year before.

I don't see an EJ yet on defence- Petrecki is a fair bit behind EJ's development of one year ago. And can we expect any Europeans to play top line on their National team like Backstrom did for 2006?

Is Katic that much better than 4th round 2006 pick Shutron was at the same time last year? Maybe a little, but hey, Katic clone Trevor Daley was a 2nd round pick way back when- yet Katic is getting top 10 press for 2007.

Last year at this time, Staal was coming off a commanding playoff performance as a 16 yr old in the OHL. Who was that good in the playoffs for the CHL for the 2007 draft? Maybe only Couture comes close- and I don't think he has Staal's upside even though ISS has him at #1.

Frankly, I don't see any killer prospects yet for 2007- several good ones yes but very few impact players. Even Esposito cooled off quite a bit.

When good, but hardly dominating, players like Sutter and Gillies are consensus pre-season top 5 I don't think we can get too hot 'n bothered about it yet. Things may-and probably will- change but as of now compared to 365 days ago, the 2007 draft doesn't really look any better than 2006 overall- and maybe even a bit weaker.

Last edited:

Transported Upstater

filly_canadiens said:
some prospects i know for next years first round (in no order)

angelo esposito
jakub voracek
mark katic
zack torquato
pat kane
sam ganger
colton gillies
nick petrecki
mikael backlund
oscar moller
michal repik
david stich

Logan Couture?

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
whitesnake said:

top americans in an order similar to this would be
nick petrecki - ushl
pat kane - ohl (likely) or ushl
tristin llewellyn - ushl
billy sweatt - colorado college
james van reimsdyk - us ntdp
jimmy obrien - minnesota
jon blum - whl
mike hoeffel - usntdp
drayson bowman - whl
kevin shattenkirk - us ntdp
brad phillips - us ntdp