2007 Calder Trophy Winner is.....?

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
fr4ed2384 said:
my guess is Carle --

That is an interesting pick. I wouldn't be surprised if he won, but I won't be expecting it either considering some of his competition. I'd love to see a college boy win!

That said, it's probably going to be Malkin or Brule. My homer pick is Patty O, though.

Rez

Oct 5, 2005
Zine said:
Radulov doesn't remind me of Brendl at all. His work ethic is 100X that of Brendl's...plus his skating is much better. Radulov gets much more involved in the play than Brendl ever did. I think Pavel was a better pure scorer though.

What a waste of talent Brendl is/was. The only thing that kept him from being a star in the NHL was his work ethic. Perhaps his skating could've used a little fine tuning, but beyond that he had all the tools.
Keep in mind though, Radulov is by no means a great skater.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
WILDTATE10 said:
O'Sullivan
Playing with Gaborik and getting some serious powerplay time will get him alot of points.
Gabby will be gone come October.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Refuse said:
Gabby will be gone come October.
very highly doubt it. You can dream though.

The Wild know hes the franchise player and they wont lose him. They will agree on a deal.

The Wild wont trade him unless a team is willing to give up greater value.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Marcel the great! said:
sure.... he only goes coast to coast atleast twice a game in less then 10 sec :shakehead , with the plays he makes he has no choice but to be a great skater

1. That's in the Q
2. 10 seconds is not fast at all

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
O'Sullivan with Bouchard, Rolston, Gaborik, Koivu...A person can dream can't he?

I think O'Sullivan will be given a bigger role than Bouchard and Koivu. Koivu had injury problems in the beginning and was deemed a 2-way forward. Bouchard had to adjust to the NHL with his small stature. O'Sullivan isn't big but unlike Bouchard he played in the AHL and translated well.

Think Gaborik when talking about O'Sullivan, in minutes and possibly points.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
When Ovechkin wins the calder this summer, they are just going to go ahead and award next years trophy to Malkin.

Seriously, can someone explain just how Brule is better than Malkin? I think in another year he would be the favorite, but rating him above Malkin is a little crazy.

Someone mentioned Toivonen, is he elegible? He is is the ONLY one I could see presenting a challenge to Malkin.

Should be a great rookie class though. Might even rival this years. I look forward to seeing O'sullivan, Schremp, Radulov, Semin, Marc Staal, Bobby Ryan, Brule, Matt Carle, and maybe Jack Johnson, Phil Kessel, and Nick Backstrom. Ypu know there will be surprises too...I'm hoping for Kalus.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Beesfan said:
Seriously, can someone explain just how Brule is better than Malkin? I think in another year he would be the favorite, but rating him above Malkin is a little crazy.
The only way to decide who ends up being better is for them both to be here. One advantage that Brule will have is that his supporting cast is better than Malkin's will be in Pittsburgh. Although clearly not a problem for Ovechkin, Malkin has not played North American hockey yet either.

There are plenty of candidates and should be a great rookie class.

I'll throw my vote for Brule although Nilson from the Isles could be a worthy pick also.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
For those mentionning O'Sullivan, remember who his coach will be, Jacques "Offense Extinguisher" Lemaire. He will personally ensure that O'Sullivan doesn't reach his offensive potential, thus not have a chance at the Calder. :shakehead Not to mention that their one offensive dynamo, Gaborik, will be gone shortly because he doesn't want to play for Lemaire. That will also hurt O'Sullivan's production.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Xoggz22 said:
I'll throw my vote for Brule although Nilson from the Isles could be a worthy pick also.

Nilsson played 53 games for the Isles this season. He won't be a rookie in 06-07.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
WILDTATE10 said:
very highly doubt it. You can dream though.

The Wild know hes the franchise player and they wont lose him. They will agree on a deal.

The Wild wont trade him unless a team is willing to give up greater value.
Really? Well, they will have to since Gabby doesn't want to play for the Wild (Lemaire) unless he gets the money Richards is getting in Tampa. I seriously doubt Minny will give him that. I see Gaborik going somewhere he will get the opportunity to play offensive hockey for less to strenghten his market value.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Refuse said:
Really? Well, they will have to since Gabby doesn't want to play for the Wild (Lemaire) unless he gets the money Richards is getting in Tampa. I seriously doubt Minny will give him that. I see Gaborik going somewhere he will get the opportunity to play offensive hockey for less to strenghten his market value.

For the millionth time Gaborik has never said he doesnt want to play here. Gaboriks not a UFA until after next season.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Craig Ludwig said:
For those mentionning O'Sullivan, remember who his coach will be, Jacques "Offense Extinguisher" Lemaire. He will personally ensure that O'Sullivan doesn't reach his offensive potential, thus not have a chance at the Calder. :shakehead Not to mention that their one offensive dynamo, Gaborik, will be gone shortly because he doesn't want to play for Lemaire. That will also hurt O'Sullivan's production.

Gaborik scored 38 goals in 64 games. thats a real offense extinguisher there. for the hundred millionth time Gaborik has never said he doesnt want to play here.

Transported Upstater

insider said:
nahh.... it's either Jesse Niinimaki or Dragan Umicevic

...AND THE DRAGAN COMES IN THE NIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHTTTT!!!! :D

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
bigdeal44 said:
Phil Kessel

I doubt that he makes the jump next year. However, Kessel in 2008 on either Malkin's or Crosby's wing is a very distinct possibility. Maybe even likely. 2007 is Malkin's year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Devilsfanatic said:
Marek Schwarz in St. Louis

Uhhh....no. I doubt Schwarz will even be over here in 2007, and if he is he won't be in a position to be a NHL back-up much less a starter who would win enough games to garner Calder consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->