2006 World Championships groups announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
They just released the groups for next year's tournament in Riga, and they are as follows:

Group A
Czech Republic
Finland
Latvia
Slovenia

Group B
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
Italy

Group C
Slovakia
Russia
Belarus
Kazakhstan

Group D
Canada
United States
Denmark
Norway

In the qualification round, teams from group A and D will play each other, while teams from group B and C play each other in the other qualification round group.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
The most intresting thing about this draw, is that Latvia used its right to choose the group of one team : so they intentionnally put Russia in group C, meaning that the Russians won't face Latvia until the quarterfinals.

I can't stand those politicians!

But anyway, I'm not sure anyone will care about the Worlds next year, unless the lockout goes on of course.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
wilka91 said:
The most intresting thing about this draw, is that Latvia used its right to choose the group of one team : so they intentionnally put Russia in group C, meaning that the Russians won't face Latvia until the quarterfinals.

But anyway, I'm not sure anyone will care about the Worlds next year, unless the lockout goes on of course.

I think the whole CZE+SVK will care about the WC's. A LOt of people will care, dont worry.

Ross_SLO

May 16, 2005
wilka91 said:
The most intresting thing about this draw, is that Latvia used its right to choose the group of one team : so they intentionnally put Russia in group C

Can you explain this? :dunno:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Russia is the team who will draw the most fans after Latvia, it's a logical choice to make them play in different arenas.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
stv11 said:
Russia is the team who will draw the most fans after Latvia, it's a logical choice to make them play in different arenas.

that's not the point.

The president of Latvia (a woman), hates Russia and the Russians because of the USSR (her family had to emigrate from Latvia during the time of the Soviet Union).

Vic Rattlehead*

wilka91 said:
that's not the point.

The president of Latvia (a woman), hates Russia and the Russians because of the USSR (her family had to emigrate from Latvia during the time of the Soviet Union).

Actually, stv11's theory is more logical than yours.... ;)

Canada and US in the same group again.

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Group A
Czech Republic
Finland
Latvia
Slovenia

Czechs look to defend their gold against the host nation, the tough Finns and a scrappy Slovenian squad.

Group B
Sweden
Switzerland
Ukraine
Italy

Sweden got the best preliminary draw, as the Swiss are the second best team in the pool, with the Ukraine not far behind. Italy chose the right time to advance seeing as they're hosting the 2006 Olympics.

Group C
Slovakia
Russia
Belarus
Kazakhstan

Four countries that didn't exist in 1990 in one group. Russia and Slovakia can easily advance but the BLR/KAZ would be a great game to watch because those teams will want to avoid relegation.

Group D
Canada
United States
Denmark
Norway

U.S/Canada rematch, two Scandinavian countries that will likely battle to stay away from relegation... unless the Great Danes upset the U.S. again.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
19bruins19 said:
Actually, stv11's theory is more logical than yours.... ;)

except that what I'm saying is true

I've watched a TV show about it about 2 months ago!

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
wilka91 said:
that's not the point.

Well, as much as I love Riga. (My father used to have a lot of business trip to Yurmala/Riga when I was a kid, so I spent months there), I understand that she has valid reasons for hate. You (as half czech) probably know that czech people aren't fans of Russia either. Heck, in my former country Ukraine there are many people who have the same feelings for neighbours! So...nothing new here, unfortunately.

Roger's Pancreas*

I'm sure Denmark and Norway are thrilled about their placement.

Second, can someone please explain why Italy has a seed instead of Austria?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Panasonic Youth said:

Unless I'm missing something it was because Austria was relegated this year.

HF_Rangers

Jan 16, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
Panasonic Youth said:

Austria got relegated after a pitiful performance in this year's WC. Italy won promotion from one of the Division I WC groups and the right to play in the main tourney in 2006.

Germany, ranked 8th in the world (and down to 10th after the WC), was also relegated due to poor play and Norway, the other Division I winner, takes their spot.

Last edited:

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
wilka91 said:
that's not the point.

now way it was done for political reasons, oppsite, from political point of view, we would LOVE to play against RUS and if we win (the loss wouldnt be big disaster aas you are clear favorites) the celebrations on streets wouldnt stop for days. The main reason is clearly economical, as above was said in some post, we expect lots of russians comming here and i can garantee that all Latvia games will be sellout. The point is, theres no quotes as in football WC where some ammount is reserver for opponent team fans, and as for that, if there will be LAT-RUS game, probably 80% of russian supportes will have to watch the game on TV screens in some pub not far from arena. Thats the whole deal.

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
12# Peter Bondra said:
I think the whole CZE+SVK will care about the WC's. A LOt of people will care, dont worry.

Peter, I just read that František Hossa said that we have a very easy group and that the Czechs have so much luck on the draws that it is just not normal. He also said that the Slovaks have again a very tough group which includes Russia, Belarus and Kazachstan. I mean is this guy nuts? What the hell is so great about our group? I personally don´t see it that easier compared to yours: Finland - top 7, Latvia - host nation that will IMO come out strong especially on the start of the tourney. And about the luck - it almost sounded like we are fixing the draws or bribing or whatever...I mean what is he talking about? :amazed: I am asking cause believing idnes all they write would be...stupid :)

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
wilka91 said:

Well, if they had chance to put just one team to group, it couldn't have stopped that draw qould have thrown Latvia to group B or C.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
wilka91 said:

Sorry, I must have blinked and missed it....the Russians facing Latvia in the quarterfinals is a bad thing...why? Is it that much worse/better than what any of the other top teams will potentially face?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Rogalo said:
Peter, I just read that František Hossa said that we have a very easy group and that the Czechs have so much luck on the draws that it is just not normal. He also said that the Slovaks have again a very tough group which includes Russia, Belarus and Kazachstan. I mean is this guy nuts? What the hell is so great about our group? I personally don´t see it that easier compared to yours: Finland - top 7, Latvia - host nation that will IMO come out strong especially on the start of the tourney. And about the luck - it almost sounded like we are fixing the draws or bribing or whatever...I mean what is he talking about? :amazed: I am asking cause believing idnes all they write would be...stupid :)
Thats true. He said that.

I want a new coach for our national side. A coach doesnt fall low on morale before the battle has even begun.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
ES said:
Well, if they had chance to put just one team to group, it couldn't have stopped that draw qould have thrown Latvia to group B or C.

The host team is automatically put in group A. ;)

Jazz

wilka91 said:
The host team is automatically put in group A. ;)
Unless it is a new rule - not correct. Looking at 2002/03 the host was not in Group A

Anyways, if this follows the usual format, then preliminary Groups A & D will merge (after eliminating the last place teams of course) to form Qualifiying Group E.

Likewise, preliminary Groups B & C will merge (after eliminating the last place team of course) to form Qualifiying Group F.

Thus, barring any upsets, we should see this in the Quaifying round

Qualifying Group E
Canada
Czech Republic
USA
Finland
Latvia
Denmark

Qualifying Group F

Sweden
Slovakia
Russia
Switzerland
Belarus
Ukraine

And then the cross-over QFs from there....

Rogalo

Sep 9, 2004
Copenhagen
12# Peter Bondra said:
Thats true. He said that.

I want a new coach for our national side. A coach doesnt fall low on morale before the battle has even begun.

Take Å upler. IMO he would be best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->