2006 Top 40 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvandenberg

Oct 19, 2003
I know we are looking at the future, but here are my picks for the top prospects of 2006. I think it's safe to do this now that all the junior leagues have had their various drafts. This is by no mens set in stone, but the most interesting thing is the amount of solid Late-87s, which is going to make this draft fairly deep once all the 88s develop. If you hve any names to add tell me so I can continue to compile this list as I have with my 2005 one.

1. Jesse Joensuu, F, Finland (late 87)
2. Jonathan Toews, C, Tri-City (WHL)
3. Phil Kessel, C, USNTDP Under-18 (late 87)
4. Bryan Little, C, Barrie (OHL) (late 87)
5. Zack Hamill, F, Kootenay (WHL)
6. Alexander Vasyunov, C, Russia
7. Peter Mueller, C, USNTDP Under-18
7. Michael Frolik, RW, Czech Republic
8. Tomas Marcinko, C, Slovakia
9. James Sheppard, LW, Halifax
10. Mathieu Carle, D, Acadie-Bathurst (late 87)
11. Ondrej Fiala, F, Czech Republic (late 87)
12, Sergei Belyakov, F, Russia (late 87)
13. Oskar Osala, F, Finland (late 87)
14. Jason Legault, D, Victoriaville (QMJHL)
15. David Ruzicka, D, Czech Republic
16. Chad Morin, D, USNTDP Under-18
17. Jordan Staal, C, Peterborough (OHL)
18. Steve Spade, D, Barrie (OHL) (late 87)
19. Jonathan Bernier, G, Lewiston (QMJHL)
20. Matt Corrente, D, Saginaw (OHL)
21. David Skokan, F, Slovakia
22. John Hughes, C, Belleville (OHL)
23. Dustin Butler, G, Portland (WHL) (late 87)
24. Ben Maxwell, C, Kootenay (WHL)
25. Igor Makarov, F, Russia (late 87)
26. Cal Clutterbuck, LW, St. Michael's (OHL) (late 87)
27. Pier-Alexandre Poulin, C, Gatineau (QMJHL)
28. Nick Foligno, LW, USNTDP Under-18 (late 87)
29. Bobby Hughes, RW, Kingston (OHL) (late 87)
30. Ben Breault, C, Baie-Comeau (QMJHL)
31. Alex Lamontagne, D, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)
32. Codey Burki, RW, Brandon (WHL) (late 87)
33. Joey Ryan, D, Quebec (QMJHL) (late 87)
34. Rhett Rakhshani, C, USNTDP Under-17
35. Blake Geoffrion, LW, USNTDP Under-17
36. Sergei Arkadev, F, Russia
37. Aleksander Syrei, D, Belarus
38. Ryan Depape, RW, Prince Albert (WHL)
39. Keegan Dansereau, RW, Calgary (WHL)
40. Ben Van Lare, RW, Saskatoon (WHL)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Not an expert by any means but Ive been told to watch out for Carter Camper and Jack Combs ? Do you know them ?

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
2006 Draft

Although many of the players you have listed have great potential it's impossible to put an accurate list together at this point. Most of the 88's you have listed, while excellent prospects, have yet to play a junior hockey game at any level. They may be highly regarded prospects but until they produce at the Major Junior, Tier II, US College or International hockey level they cannot be highly regarded NHL prospects. The only guys you can get a slightly accurate read on at this point are the late 87's who have participated in International Competition or at the Junior Level.

As far as Carter Camper and Jack Combs are concerned, Camper is no longer an elite player and Combs is a marginal prospect at best with poor skating skills and deplorable fitness.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
-Joe Palmer. D isn't there, he could be the top goalie for the draft at this point.

-Benjamin Breault should be there IMO, could be one of the top forwards for the draft when all is said and done.

I would also put Makarov ahead of Belyakov stronger and a little more talented IMO.

- Vasyunov could be the top pick ofthe draft

Last edited:

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Jyssy said:
A real question, i dont follow NA junior hockey so much and someone said something about prospect named Dustin Rose

This name was a fake Jyssy , some people use that name when they saw some exageration when some other poster tend to overrate some prospects.

Example :

Poster A :Sydney Crosby is a god
Poster B : I heard Dustin Rose is the real next god
Poster C : Yeah Rose is tall & fast
Poster D : Dustin Rose is only 15 & he is already built like a man ready for the NHL.

I think you see the point :D

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cdnhky1 said:
As far as Carter Camper and Jack Combs are concerned, Camper is no longer an elite player and Combs is a marginal prospect at best with poor skating skills and deplorable fitness.

I've been hearing that lately. What's wrong with Camper?

As for the rankings, what about Mark Mitera or Kyle Okposo? Okposo did pretty well at Shattuck's. Not as well as Toews, but still good enough to get top 40 consideration. And Mitera is a late '87 who put up more points than Morin on the USNTDP U-17 team.

Last edited:

John E. Ringo

Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
cvand- nice starting list, especially considering it's prospects who are still two years out.

Have you seen/heard much of the Minnesota 88s contingent (save Mueller who you have in the top ten)? I have been impressed by a couple Shattuck kids (very limited viewings so don't take this as gospel!!) and wonder if you have any opinion.

Tyson Dowzak is a huge defenseman (6'5", 225) from northern Minnesota, decent feet, ok skills and can play it mean. Inconsistent at this point but projects well. Kelowna holds his WHL rights and IMO would do well for himself taking the major junior route.

Tony Mosey shone at US Select-16 a couple weeks back. He has great vision, soft hands and works his butt off.

Kyle Okposo was mentioned above and is also an excellent prospect.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
John E. Ringo said:
cvand- nice starting list, especially considering it's prospects who are still two years out.

Have you seen/heard much of the Minnesota 88s contingent (save Mueller who you have in the top ten)? I have been impressed by a couple Shattuck kids (very limited viewings so don't take this as gospel!!) and wonder if you have any opinion.

Tyson Dowzak is a huge defenseman (6'5", 225) from northern Minnesota, decent feet, ok skills and can play it mean. Inconsistent at this point but projects well. Kelowna holds his WHL rights and IMO would do well for himself taking the major junior route.

Tony Mosey shone at US Select-16 a couple weeks back. He has great vision, soft hands and works his butt off.

Kyle Okposo was mentioned above and is also an excellent prospect.

I forgot about Okposo, he has the potential to go top 10, and Dowzak is suppose to be a great prospect for the 2006 draft as well. also Ben Smith from the USA has 1st round potential, these are three prospects to really watch. Also Luke Popko and Chris Atkinson from the USA are two prospects to really watch out for as well, and Ben Straight could be a great defensive d-man.

Visibly Shaken

Dec 6, 2002
Visit site
5. Zack Hamill, F, Kootenay (WHL)

Hamill plays for Everett in the WHL. And I would place Jason Reece of Vancouver within the top 20.

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
2006 is going to be a great USA draft year:

1. Phil Kessel
2. Chad Morin
3. Peter Mueller
4. Joe Palmer
5. Kyle Okposo
6. Ben Smith
7. Steve Spade
8. Blake Geoffrion
9. Tyson Dowzak
10. Jason Reece
11. Gerret Roe
12. Luke Popko
13. Carter Camper
14. Chris Atkinson
15. Joey Ryan
16. Ben Straight
17. Mark Mitera
18. John Combs
19. Andrew Andricopoulis
20. Toney Mosey

all these prospects are great IMO with Carter Camper having the potential to really rise up the charts. He has great skills and IMO has top 10 talent, watch out for him, people say his year last year was so-so but things can turn around for such a talented player.

This list was done from the top of my head since I am in Ottawa and not Halifax right now so I don't have all my notes so I am sure I missed players.

Last edited:

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Postman said:
I've been hearing that lately. What's wrong with Camper?

As for the rankings, what about Mark Mitera or Kyle Okposo? Okposo did pretty well at Shattuck's. Not as well as Toews, but still good enough to get top 40 consideration. And Mitera is a late '87 who put up more points than Morin on the USNTDP U-17 team.

When Camper was 14 he was big for his age but he hasn't grown at all since then. In addition, his skills haven't developed the way others his age have. He's still a decent player but not good enough for talk as an NHL prospect at this stage. I believe he'll be playing junior A in the NAHL this year with the Cleveland Barons.

Combs is a player who gets a lot of hype but from what I've heard, he sounds like a poor man's Bobby Ryan. He doesn't have Ryans hands but he has all of his skating and work ethic problems. He's not really a player to get overly excited about at this point. At least that's the impression I've gotten from what I hear. Either way, he'll be playing with Kitchener in the OHL so people on these boards will be able to give thier first hand accounts soon enough.

On these boards, most US kids in this age bracket (15/16) are unknown quantitys in rankings like these (as are most Europeans). Rankings like the one above are useful for name-dropping but it just won't end up being that accurate (no offense to anyone who does them as I still enjoy reading them). I'm constantly trying to keep myself up-to-date on US kids but being where I am, it's obvious that I can only go by what I'm hearing. Anyway, here's a list of the players I've heard of that could potentially have top two round NHL draft potential in the age bracket (from the US and not in any order)...

Phil Kessel*
Steve Spade*
Joey Ryan*
Mark Mitera*
Peter Mueller
Chad Morin
Kyle Okposo
Erik Johnson
Tysen Dowzak
Joe Palmer
Jason Reese
Blake Geoffrion
Ryan Flynn
Chris Summers

(*=late'87)

I've never seen any of them play but they are the players that most consistently have positive things said about them. Some may not be as good as I've been led to believe while others might be better than given credit for. I should also note that I've left certain very good players off my list who seem to have big questions about thier NHL potential (Rhett Rakhshani, Mike Ratchuk etc.). Take it for what it's worth.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
cagney said:
When Camper was 14 he was big for his age but he hasn't grown at all since then. In addition, his skills haven't developed the way others his age have. He's still a decent player but not good enough for talk as an NHL prospect at this stage. I believe he'll be playing junior A in the NAHL this year with the Cleveland Barons.

Combs is a player who gets a lot of hype but from what I've heard, he sounds like a poor man's Bobby Ryan. He doesn't have Ryans hands but he has all of his skating and work ethic problems. He's not really a player to get overly excited about at this point. At least that's the impression I've gotten from what I hear. Either way, he'll be playing with Kitchener in the OHL so people on these boards will be able to give thier first hand accounts soon enough.

On these boards, most US kids in this age bracket (15/16) are unknown quantitys in rankings like these (as are most Europeans). Rankings like the one above are useful for name-dropping but it just won't end up being that accurate (no offense to anyone who does them as I still enjoy reading them). I'm constantly trying to keep myself up-to-date on US kids but being where I am, it's obvious that I can only go by what I'm hearing. Anyway, here's a list of the players I've heard of that could potentially have top two round NHL draft potential in the age bracket (from the US and not in any order)...

Phil Kessel*
Steve Spade*
Joey Ryan*
Mark Mitera*
Peter Mueller
Chad Morin
Kyle Okposo
Erik Johnson
Tysen Dowzak
Joe Palmer
Jason Reese
Blake Geoffrion
Ryan Flynn
Chris Summers

(*=late'87)

I've never seen any of them play but they are the players that most consistently have positive things said about them. Some may not be as good as I've been led to believe while others might be better than given credit for. I should also note that I've left certain very good players off my list who seem to have big questions about thier NHL potential (Rhett Rakhshani, Mike Ratchuk etc.). Take it for what it's worth.

Thanks a lot for the info. Like you, I don't get to see any, but I go by what I read. However, a few guys I have a hard time getting info on. Specifically guys like Summers, Flynn, Johnson, Dowzak, Ratchuk, and Rakhshani. Others are a bit more high profile or play in more exposed leagues, so it's easier to get info on them.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
moosefan said:
2006 is going to be a great USA draft year:

Very nice list. I've really been wanting to see a ranking of USA prospects for 2006. Appreciate the info.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Postman said:
Very nice list. I've really been wanting to see a ranking of USA prospects for 2006. Appreciate the info.

I never put Ratchuk or Rakhshani on this list since I don't know much about them yet but I am really wanting to see them play before I rank them. I heard Ratchuck is one of the best players in the USA for his age so he could be in my top 5 by December when I get to see him play. Till them they are on my names to watch list.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
the top goalies for this draft should be:

1. Joe Palmer. US NTDP
2. J-C Blanchard. Moncton
3. Jonathan Bernier. QMJHL (can't remember the team that picked him and right now to lazy to look it up)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Postman said:
Specifically guys like Summers, Flynn, Johnson, Dowzak, Ratchuk, and Rakhshani.

If you want to see a good write-up on these guys just go to ushr.com and look in the free archvies for March of this year. They did an excellent NTDP tryout camp review dated 3/27. In all my research of US hockey I've found them to be the best source.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
moosefan said:
the top goalies for this draft should be:

1. Joe Palmer. US NTDP
2. J-C Blanchard. Moncton
3. Jonathan Bernier. QMJHL (can't remember the team that picked him and right now to lazy to look it up)

Lewiston. Even so im not high on Bernier. He is overrated. Look out for Stephane Cesar, Chicouitmi picked him rd 2. Reminds me of a lefty version of MAF.

Also, you had Androcopolous as an 06...he is 05.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
La-La-Laprise said:
Look out for Stephane Cesar, Chicouitmi picked him rd 2. Reminds me of a lefty version of MAF.

Alex Vincent has a few years left in front of him, I can't see Cesar surpassing him for the starting job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad