2006 Olympic Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Olympic Hockey with NHL players is the most entertaining hockey I have ever seen. They are close games where are the players are trying as hard as they can to win.

Reasons why I think the NHL players will be at the Olympics.

a) If there is no CBA by October, there probably will not be one by Febuary
b) The olympics are an very popular event involving sports people usually wouldn't watch (curling, skiing, etc). If the NHL is smart (although they are not) they would send there players there to show how exciting hockey really is (especially if the Oympics are in HD).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Hedberg16 said:
Now that the World Championships are done, the next big tournament is the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy. Any ideas on rosters ? (assuming NHL Players play)

El Sid should be there. Hard to say what role he will play.

ALF AmericanLionsFan

Dec 19, 2002
Cleveland, Ohio USA
Visit site
Hedberg16 said:
Olympic Hockey with NHL players is the most entertaining hockey I have ever seen. They are close games where are the players are trying as hard as they can to win.

a) If there is no CBA by October, there probably will not be one by Febuary
b) The olympics are an very popular event involving sports people usually wouldn't watch (curling, skiing, etc). If the NHL is smart (although they are not) they would send there players there to show how exciting hockey really is (especially if the Oympics are in HD).
I agree. It is the best hockey to watch.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Its too early to speak about if Olympics will have NHL players or not. As long as i recall, Batman said that if lockout will not be over by next seson, not a single NHL player will play in Turin.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Sakaarnis said:
Its too early to speak about if Olympics will have NHL players or not. As long as i recall, Batman said that if lockout will not be over by next seson, not a single NHL player will play in Turin.

Bettman is always changing his mind.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Hedberg16 said:

I'm sure that would please the 8% of Americans who have HD tvs.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Canada's Roster: Part 1

The 2002 Olympic Roster

Locks:
F Simon Gagne- Great player internationally. Contributed to the dominating line at the World Championships. One of the few Canadian players to show up against the Czechs in the World Championship finals.

F Jarome Iginla- Best powerforward in the game. Dominated last years playoffs (especially Game 7 against the Canucks). Scored two goals against the USA at Salt Lake City

F Joe Sakic- If Lemieux doesn't play, he will probably be captain. MVP of the 2002 Olympics.

D Rob Blake- Hits, scores, and is very solid defensively.

D Adam Foote- Not as good offensively as Blake, but is one of Canada's best defenceman.

D Ed Jovanovski- Didn't have a good World Championship, but he hadn't played all year and his leg never fully healed from the World Cup. One of Canada's best offensive defenceman.

D Scott Niedermayer- Best defenceman in the world. Dominates both offensively and defensively.

G Martin Brodeur- The best goalie in the world (and maybe ever) is great playing for Canada

Players Who Could Possibly Play:

F Mario Lemieux- If he doesn't retire, he is a lock.

F Paul Kariya- Had an off year in 03/04, but if he gets back to the way he played in Anaheim, he will be on the team.

F Ryan Smyth- Always plays for Canada. Great checker and can chip in some offense

F Steve Yzerman- If he doesn't retire, he is a lock.

D Chris Pronger- Never the same after his injury. Some people say his NHL career may be over. If he doesn't retire, he is a lock.

Players Who Will Not Be Back:

F Theoren Fleury- Retired

F Eric Lindros- Injury prone and doesn't score like he used to. May retire.

F Joe Nieuwendyk- Plays good for Canada, but his time has passed.

F Owen Nolan- Injury prone and doesn't score like he used to. May retire.

F Brendan Shanahan- Plays good for Canada, but his time has passed.

D Al MacInnis- May retire.

G Ed Belfour- Very good NHL goalie, but his spot would be better used by a younger goalie.

G Curtis Joseph- Good NHL goalie, but his spot would be better used by a younger goalie.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Possible Canada Roster

Gagne
Thornton
Nash
Sakic
St.Louis
Heatley
LeCavalier
Richards
Smyth
Doan
Iginla
Draper
Marleau

Pronger
Redden
Regehr
Blake
Niedermayer
Foote
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

St.Louis-Sakic-Iginla
Gagne-Thornton-Nash
Smyth-Draper-Doan
Richards-LeCavalier-Heatley
Marleau

Pronger-Redden
Blake-Foote
Regehr-Niedermayer
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Luongo
Turco

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Hedberg16 said:
The 2002 Olympic Roster

D Ed Jovanovski- Didn't have a good World Championship, but he hadn't played all year and his leg never fully healed from the World Cup. One of Canada's best offensive defenceman.
QUOTE]

I can't really agree with this pick. True, he hasn't played all year, but he was dreadful in this tournament. After being named the tournament's best defenseman, Wade Redden deserves a spot on the 2006 Olympic roster as much as anyone.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
All I can say is that Russia will have a heck of a team. We had a short glimpse of that in this tourney.
I know for sure that no one will turn down an invitation to play at the Olympics (except Mogilny and Zubov), and this time we'll have a really good defense and probably Khabibulin and Nabokov in net. Add the forwards who couldn't play or were injured or turned down the invitation to play at the Worlds, and you get a pretty decent team.

If it's a tourney with NHL players, the Russian squad, at least on paper, should be the best in Russian history (since the end of the USSR).

Offense : Ovechkin, Malkin, Semin, Kovalchuk, Zherdev, Frolov, Kaigorodov, Datsyuk ... add some older forwards such as Kovalev, Samsonov, and maybe even Fedorov or Yashin ... yes, they could make Russia's 4th line!!!

Defense : both Markovs, Gonchar, Volchenkov, Tyutin, Kondratiev, Grebeshkov ... only young guys please.

Goalies : Nabby, Khabby and Bryz!

HockeyMan9

Jul 1, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Olympic hockey was huge for NBC in 2002, with the NHL searching for airtime I think NBC may be able to throw some weight around and get the NHL to allow it's players to play.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think that if the NHL forces the PA to accept certain items in a new CBA, then the NHLPA would be in every right to demand that the NHL allow players to go to the Olympics. I've heard the players really want to compete at the Olympics, and will fight hard for it. It's a tremendous honour for these players, and for those that don't make the trip, at least they'll get a two week break. I really do believe that if the NHL gets what it wants from the PA in this new CBA, if the PA fights hard enough for the Olympics, they will get it.

Another thing, what happens if no CBA is signed by February (how much would that suck?). Then what would every federation do? They could start to name NHL players to their rosters (but then risk not having them for the tournament, if a new CBA is signed after the rosters are named, and be forced to quickly assign non-NHL players), or make a team of non-NHL players.

This is what makes me very nervous. The CBA needs to be agreed upon before September, so that the national federations can make a proper decision. This uncertainty is harming everyone, and there needs to be a resolution, and fast.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
HockeyMan9 said:
Olympic hockey was huge for NBC in 2002, with the NHL searching for airtime I think NBC may be able to throw some weight around and get the NHL to allow it's players to play.

Well this Olympics will be in Europe, with a six to nine hour time difference. I've heard from several American posters on this site that the Olympic hockey tournament would go unnoticed because of these hours.

blackgold

Apr 6, 2004
Hedberg16 said:
The 2002 Olympic Roster

Locks:
F Steve Yzerman- If he doesn't retire, he is a lock.

I totally respect Yzerman, and his career, but I can't believe he would be a lock even if healthy.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think the U.S. will continue to be in transition. No doubt a better team than was iced at this year's World's, but likely young with a sprinkling of veterans. Here's my guess for some possibilities:

Goaltenders (x3):

Robert Esche
Rick DiPietro
Ty Conklin

Defensemen (x8):

Paul Martin
John-Michael Liles
Brian Leetch
Aaron Miller
David Tanabe
Jordan Leopold
Mathieu Schneider
Brian Rafalski

Forwards (x12):

Mike Modano
Erik Cole
Keith Tkachuk
Scott Gomez
Doug Weight
Chris Drury
Mark Parrish
David Legwand
Mike Knuble
Bill Guerin
Zach Parise
Dustin Brown

I'm not so sure how close this is to reality, but many of the names will be on the roster. I think it won't be until 2010 that the "new" era of U.S. hockey begins. Until then, these are the faces that will represent the country. Hard-working with some talent, but not elite by any stretch. Just as capable as finishing out of the medals as being on the podium.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Team Canada- Part 2

Other Locks for Team Canada

G Roberto Luongo- Top 4 goalie in the NHL. Won two gold medals at the World Championships

D Wade Redden- One of the ten best defeceman in the league. Best Defenceman at the World Championships

F Dany Heatley- One of the best young talents in the game. Dominated the 2004 World Championships

F Rick Nash- Other than the Crosby, the best young talent in Hockey. Scored 41 goals last year and had a great World Championships

F Joe Thornton- MVP of the World Championships, although he disappeared in the final.

F Vincent Lecavalier- Turning into a superstar player. World Cup MVP

F Brad Richards- Conn Smythe winner

F Martin St. Louis- 2004 NHL MVP

F Shane Doan- Brings a physical presence. Gretzky loves him

My Team Canada (so far)

Martin Brodeur/Roberto Luongo
Scott Niedermayer/Rob Blake
Chris Pronger/Adam Foote
Ed Jovanovski/Wade Redden
XXXXXX
Jarome Iginla/Joe Sakic/Simon Gagne
Brad Richards/Vincent Lecavalier/Martin St. Louis
Rick Nash/Joe Thornton/Dany Heatley
Ryan Smyth/Mario Lemieux/Shane Doan
XXXXXX

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Team Canada- Part 3

The Other Guys

G Marty Turco- Third goalie at the World Championships

G Jose Theodore- Said no to World Championships which could hurt his chances

D Robyn Regher- Wasn't bad at the world championships and was solid at the World Cup and 2004 Playoffs

D Eric Brewer- Is a Gold Medal, World Cup and 2 time World Championship champion. Wasn't on the World Championship team this year and they lose. Coincedence?

F Kris Draper- Good checker, but may not be suited to Olympic hockey

F Patrick Marleau- Okay at both the World Cup and World Championships

F Todd Bertuzzi- If reinstated and plays like he did in 02/03, he is just as good as Thornton

The Injury Replacement Players
D Jay Bouwmeester
D Scott Hannan
D Dan Boyle
F Brendan Morrow
F Sidney Crosby
F Kirk Maltby

PDO

Jan 12, 2005
Edmonton
If anyone puts Draper/Maltby on a Canadian list I think I might cry. We have several skilled players who can kill penalties just as well as those two, why waste the roster spot?

Having said that, I expect something along the lines of:

Forwards: (13)

Thornton, Heatley, Nash, Gagne, Smyth, Bertuzzi, Iginila, Lecavalier, St. Louis, Richards, Sakic, Doan, Lemieux

Defense: (8)

Scott Niedermayer, Rob Blake, Chris Pronger, Adam Foote, Eric Brewer, Wade Redden, Scott Hannan, Jay Bouwmeester

Goal: (3)

Luongo, Broduer, Theodore

I'm sure I might take a bit of heat for a few of the picks (namely Hannan and Bouwmeester on defense, but I remember the rosters were fairly big, and those are two of our most promising young defenseman, so they'll be there, much like Brewer in '02), but I'd be very confident sending that team out. Espeacilly with a RW that has the likes of Iginila, Bertuzzi, Heatley and St. Louis :eek:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Hedberg16 said:
The Other Guys

G Marty Turco- Third goalie at the World Championships

G Jose Theodore- Said no to World Championships which could hurt his chances

D Robyn Regher- Wasn't bad at the world championships and was solid at the World Cup and 2004 Playoffs

D Eric Brewer- Is a Gold Medal, World Cup and 2 time World Championship champion. Wasn't on the World Championship team this year and they lose. Coincedence?

F Kris Draper- Good checker, but may not be suited to Olympic hockey

F Patrick Marleau- Okay at both the World Cup and World Championships

F Todd Bertuzzi- If reinstated and plays like he did in 02/03, he is just as good as Thornton

The Injury Replacement Players
D Jay Bouwmeester
D Scott Hannan
D Dan Boyle
F Brendan Morrow
F Sidney Crosby
F Kirk Maltby

IMO, Jay Bouwmeester is better than Robyn Regher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad