2006 Entry Draft

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
People may bash this draft thread, but everyone is forgetting one thing. There is always an organization (or three or four for that matter) who always end up drafting something way off the board. I could see several surprises here. This isn't a particularly strong draft, especially after the first 10 to 15 choices. I could see a lot of teams moving down and a lot of teams moving up.

The way i see it, you have a solid 5 who should be top 5. There is a chance that one may drop to 6th. Beyond that there is 10 players who could be picked anywhere between 6-15.

I do agree that somewhere there will be one or two players who gets picked out of nowhere(that's not in that group of 10), to drop one of those guys down a spot or 2.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Whose game does Sheppard compare to? Does he own PPG potential? How many goals is he capable of scoring in the NHL?

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Russian_fanatic said:
Whose game does Sheppard compare to? Does he own PPG potential? How many goals is he capable of scoring in the NHL?
I compare him a bit to Chad Kilger with soft hands, a big guy who protects the puck extremely well with his body, he is very strong and is a good skater. Sheppard is also a very smart player and good in his own end. I think he is more of a playmaker then a scorer with his very nice soft hands. I think his release needs some work if he is gonna be a real goal scorer and although his top end speed is very good he nedds to improve his acceleration. He has power forward potential if he gets a little more nasty (although in the playoffs he really stepped up the physical play and threw some huge hits).

I think his potential is a second line two-way player scores 25+ goals and 60+ points, but if he develops his powerforward play he could be much more valuable then just his scoring. If he cant improve his weaknesses he should still be a valuable 3rd/4th line player like Kilger is now. I really would like to see the leafs grab him.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
jas said:
I would not be surprised to see the Rangers trade up in the first round. (In fact, I almost EXPECT them to move up.) They've done it in each of the past two years, and they have accumulated plenty of tradable assets. There are rumblings that the Rangers have designs on one of the centers at the top of the draft, and I believe every effort will be made to try and get one, since it is the one glaring weakness in their prospect pool.

I don't know who the Rangers might be looking to trade with to move up, but Columbus and Chicago are teams that need good top-flight centers, so you'd be competing with them to get those guys.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Not bad. I don't see Calgary taking another defenseman, and I hear Cal Clutterbuck is a Steve Downie-clone - Why would Philadelphia draft him?

I like Vancouver picking Okposo. I wouldn't mind taking Emmerton or Foligno there, either.

I hope we stay far, far away from Ty Wishart.
I agree, I want to see Calgary take a defenseman in the second or third round, but I am hoping they will take Maxwell, White or Foligno with their first.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
I think DDD is on point with Okposo and Minny...

There is a chance Minny could move up with their two picks and take a Mueller or Toews...

if not, I would imagine that they will pick a forward with the first pick, probably Okposo, and then a D with the second one- I could see them reaching and taking Matt Corrente with it.

Transported Upstater

DeuceUNO said:
I think DDD is on point with Okposo and Minny...

There is a chance Minny could move up with their two picks and take a Mueller or Toews...

if not, I would imagine that they will pick a forward with the first pick, probably Okposo, and then a D with the second one- I could see them reaching and taking Matt Corrente with it.

Corrente is quite a reach IMO. But Minnesota has a history of going off the board, so it wouldn't suprise me.

They have some good options. I don't think they should trade up unless it is a Top 5.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
AgentNaslund said:
WEll, we drafted a big and fast skating defencemen with offensive skills, (Bourdon) do you want to draft another big and fast skating defencemen?
yeah, big fast defensemen get old fast...

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
TransportedUpstater said:
Corrente is quite a reach IMO. But Minnesota has a history of going off the board, so it wouldn't suprise me.

They have some good options. I don't think they should trade up unless it is a Top 5.

well, I've seen Corrente all over the first round in the mocks I have seen, and I've heard that he is the most well-rounded d in the draft right now.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
I just can't see SJ taking a defenseman that early. Now maybe I'm wrong here, but they have lots of great young defensemen either already on the team or in their system...Carle, Hannan, Ehrhoff, Preissing, Murray and Gorges to name a few. Furthermore, they're all under 30.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Abyss said:
Except not...Backstrom won't fall to #8 and theres NO way the Bruins draft a defenseman. If Backstrom is available for the Bruins, they will probably take him or Okposo.

Please note, when I write this, I'm not talking specifically to you.

Here is the problem with mock drafting anymore....teams have shown that they will simply take the player they feel is the best one available. It is almost impossible to predict, I'm not even so sure I will even do one this year. If someone thinks Okposo is worth the 4th pick in the draft, and can trade up to do it, someone's gonna do it.

The past few years we've seen teams trade up for Devin Setoguchi, and teams take Brian Lee and Sasha Pokoluk and Blake Wheeler go in the first hald of their drafts when most considered them late 1st rounders at best. Steve Downie was considered a 3rd round pick (even though for the Flyers it was worth taking him when they did).

The Bruins might have new guys come in, and they're probably going to have different opinions than what was around before.

To say that teams will either take Player A or Player B but will definetaly not Player C because he plays a certain postion, you can't do that anymore.

You also can't say that there is no chance that Player D falls. We all sat back and watched Lauri Tukonen, Anze Kopitar, Marek Schwarz and Rob Schremp inexplicably drop, simply because other players were a top other team's draft boards. I don't think this will happen to Backstrom, but I also had Kopitar and Tukonen in my top 5 in their drafts and a lot of other posters here did also.

It's fun to do, but if you get anymore than 2 guys past the top 4 right, then that's a pretty good percentage.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Oh really? Come one GKJ don't get all disillusioned on us. It's all just in fun. I won the MD competition the first year we did it, and came in dead last(or close to it) the next year. I agree the draft is somewhat of a crapshoot, but that's what makes it fun. :)

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
samvcanucks007 said:
ya i would love to see brewer on this team if we had the chance...i dont know if st louis would do this but i dont know wat eric's contract status is however i would love to see bertuzzi plus vancouvers first round pick in 2007 for brewer and st louis first round pick in 2006 lol i doubt st louis would bite however that would be a great deal but i dont know if the st louis fans would really welcome bertuzzi tho...wishful thinking

Pass on Bertuzzi.

Vancouver's first-round pick this year for Carolina's first-rounder and Brewer would work, though.

P_B

:bow: :blues

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
Oilers Chick said:
I just can't see SJ taking a defenseman that early. Now maybe I'm wrong here, but they have lots of great young defensemen either already on the team or in their system...Carle, Hannan, Ehrhoff, Preissing, Murray and Gorges to name a few. Furthermore, they're all under 30.

Well, the Sharks can also compile a good under-30 forwards team. Could make a case that we've got enough of those, as well. A little short on left wing, though, but otherwise decent down the middle and on the right wing.

I would like to get a defenseman, but it would all depend. Picking 20th isn't exactly a prelude for a blue-chipping defenseman in a somewhat weaker draft rearguard-wise. But if we get Ty Wishart, David Fischer, Nigel Williams, or some other decent defenseman, it wouldn't be a bad choice, in my opinion.

How about Michael Forney? The Sharks like drafting out of high school, and the guy seems like a legitimate choice.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Prospects

1. ERIK JOHNSON, D

He's six-foot-four, 222 pounds and he just turned 18, so there's room to get bigger and stronger. A two-way defenceman who makes smart decisions with the puck in the defensive zone, passes well, shoots hard and plays a physical game along the boards and on open ice. The native of Bloomington, Minn., who will play for Minnesota in the fall, is the kind of stud defenceman an NHL team can build its defence around.

2. PHIL KESSEL, F

The six-foot, 189-pound forward from Madison, Wis., has hair-trigger speed and a gifted pair of hands which he put to use scoring 18 goals and collecting 33 assists in 39 games in his freshman year at Minnesota. Kessel was considered the undisputed No. 1 pick prior to this year's world junior championship, but the prospect pack has closed on him since January.

3. JONATHAN TOEWS, F

The 17-year-old forward from Winnipeg is a smart, skilled forward with maturity and determination beyond his years. The six-foot-two, 195-pounder finished fourth in scoring in his freshman year at the University of North Dakota with 21 goals and 17 assists in 41 games. Not high-octane like Kessel, but probably has a more complete game.

4. JORDAN STAAL, F

With those bloodlines, how could a team go wrong in picking a Staal? Oldest brother Eric is a star forward for the Carolina Hurricanes. Older brother Marc was named the top defenceman at this year's world junior hockey championship and will likely be in a New York Rangers uniform next season. Jordan is a six-foot-four, 209-pound forward with a long reach and puckhandling skills to go with it, plus good foot speed for a big player. Staal doesn't turn 18 until September, yet was an impact player for the Peterborough Petes during the regular season with 28 goals, 40 assists in 68 games.

5. JONATHAN BERNIER, G

Canada's starter at the world under-18 hockey championships also backstopped Canada's under-18 team to gold at the Junior World Cup in Europe last summer. The six-foot, 180-pound goalie from Laval, Que., played a lot of games (54) and faced a lot of shots behind the Lewiston Maineiacs while carrying a solid 2.70 goals-against average and .908 save percentage through it.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Hockey/2006/04/20/1541844-sun.html

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Saprykin said:
Well, the Sharks can also compile a good under-30 forwards team. Could make a case that we've got enough of those, as well. A little short on left wing, though, but otherwise decent down the middle and on the right wing.

I would like to get a defenseman, but it would all depend. Picking 20th isn't exactly a prelude for a blue-chipping defenseman in a somewhat weaker draft rearguard-wise. But if we get Ty Wishart, David Fischer, Nigel Williams, or some other decent defenseman, it wouldn't be a bad choice, in my opinion.

How about Michael Forney? The Sharks like drafting out of high school, and the guy seems like a legitimate choice.

From what I understanding and have been hearing (and something you just mentioned), the Sharks need some help at LW. I can't say much on the players I haven't seen yet, other than what I've heard and read about them (i.e. Kyle Okposo and Nigel Williams).

Now one player I think that could surprise some people down the road that I have had a chance to see earlier this season is a kid out of Warroad (MN) HS named Aaron Marvin. NHL Central Scouting has him going somewhere around mid-second round. I saw Marvin in a great game against Roseau back in January and he was terrific. He's a kid with good size at about 6'2" (although he'll be a more effective player when he fills into that frame of his) who is terrific with the puck, has great hockey sense (especially in knowing just where to be on the ice and anticipating where the puck will come to HIM from) and extremely smart for a HS player. He has not committed to an NCAA school yet, but he may be bound for North Dakota. This is just what I'm hearing (NCAA school commitment-wise), mind you and not set in stone.

Maybe the Sharks might have some interest in Marvin.

Kick Save

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Scouting Services said:
This is how the draft should shape up in Vancouver. Enjoy.

1) Pittsburgh: Erik Johnson, D, US NAT'L
2) St Louis: Phil Kessel, C, UMINN
3) Chicago: Jonathan Towes, C, UND
4) Washington: [trades pick] Peter Mueller, C, Everett
5) Columbus: Jordan Staal, C, Peterborough
6) Boston: Bobby Sanguinetti, D, Owen Sound
7) New York Islanders: Michael Frolik, RW, Kladno
8) Phoenix: Nicklas Backstrom, C, Byrnas
9) Florida: Chris Stewart, RW, Kingston
10) Minnesota: Bryan Little, C, Barrie
11) Toronto: Jiri Tlusty, C, Kladno
12) Atlanta: Derick Brassard, C, Drummondville
13) Los Angeles: James Sheppard, C, Cape Breton
14) Vancouver: Kyle Okposo, RW, Des Moines
15) Tampa Bay: Cory Emmerton, C/LW, Kingston
16) Minnesota: Nick Foligno, LW, Sudbury
17) Montreal: Joe Ryan, D, Quebec
18) Colorado: Mike Weber, D, Windsor
19) New Jersey: Brady Calla, RW, Everett
20) San Jose: Mark Mitera, D, U of Mich
21) Philadelphia: Cal Clutterbuck, RW, Oshawa
22) Anaheim: Ty Wishart, D, Prince George
23) Buffalo: Brian Strait, D, US NATL
24) Washington: Codey Burki, C, Brandon
25) New York Rangers: Nigel Williams, D, US NATL
26) Calgary: Ben Shutron, D, Kingston
27) Dallas: Ben Maxwell, C, Kootenay
28) Detroit: David Ficher, D, Apple Valley
29) St Louis: Bobby Hughes, C, Kingston
30) Ottawa: Yuri Alexandrov, D, Cherepovec

I have faith that Washington will trade up, but for these purposes i just put who they would otherwise be wise to take.

As a Ducks' fan, I'm curious why you have them drafting after New Jersey, San Jose and Philadelphia. They finished behind the Sharks and (off the top of my head) I thought they had fewer points than the Devils and the Flyers.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
BobbyClarkeFan16 said:
People may bash this draft thread, but everyone is forgetting one thing. There is always an organization (or three or four for that matter) who always end up drafting something way off the board. I could see several surprises here. This isn't a particularly strong draft, especially after the first 10 to 15 choices. I could see a lot of teams moving down and a lot of teams moving up.

With regards to the Flyers, no way do they draft Cal Clutterbuck. If Jonesu is available, that's who they take. If he isn't, they either look for a defenseman to help replenish the system or they look for a forward with speed and skill. They don't need a Steve Ott-type player when they already have one in Downie. If they don't get a forward with speed and skill, I could see them drafting a center to be used exclusively as a Joel Otto-type shut down player. That's actually what I'm hoping they draft.

I think you just like names like Ott and Otto. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->