2006 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I need to be educated more on it. I hear the top 10 is supposed to be great, headed up by Phil Kessel and Jesse Jonesuu.

Anyone want to post their draft boards or give some summaries about potential 1st round picks?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
1. Kessel
2. Frolik
3. Muller
4. Toews

That would be my top 4...I dont really know anybody else yet either. Too soon for me to start thinking of next years draft.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
I saw RLR and they had something like kessel, frolik, johnson, mueller, toews and maybe dowzak i dont remember off hand. :dunno:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Kessel and Frolik are the frontrunners right now, closely followed by Mueller, Toews, Dowzak.....thats all I know about next year's draft so far.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I remember last year, when exactly at this point, right after the 2004 draft, Anikeenko was touted as the best d-man available and arguably a top 5, if not top 3 selection.

Way too early to make predictions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Fighter said:
I remember last year, when exactly at this point, right after the 2004 draft, Anikeenko was touted as the best d-man available and arguably a top 5, if not top 3 selection.

Way too early to make predictions.

I just want to hear some names though. People go up and down all year. Come Christmas we'll hear some new names up near the top and a few guys fall.

I just kept hearing the top 10 is supposed to be some of the best we've seen in a while.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
Kessel can't lose the #1 spot, the way he dominated U-18 and U-20 at the WJC... wow.

After him, it's too close to say. Toews, Mueller, Frolik, Little, Joensuu seem to be strong candidates but we have to wait because they're going to another levels (except Little). Mueller must discover the WHL, Toews the NCAA (as Kessel), Frolik and Joensuu could start in elite in Europe.

After these top guys, wide open.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like Hamil and Gratchev, wasn't overly impressed with Toews but it was only one game, I'd take James Sheppard over him but I'll get to see him more at UND this year. Sheppard is impressive, hope the Habs get the chance to select him.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
freakazoid said:
Vasyunov should be a top 5 selection. He was dominant Kovalchuk-style in Russia the last couple of years.

No he wasn't. He broke some records as a 13 or 14 year old but since then it's clear he's not on the same level as a Kovalchuk or Ovechkin.

A Good Flying Bird*

It's way early, but one guy who I saw last year is a Finn named Robert Nyholm

He won't be rated real high ... but if what I saw of him in four games at the 4 Nations Cup is any indication, he's a very good player.

Fast. Physical/ Responsible defensively. Goes to the net. Surprising plamaking ability.

IMO, a good indicator of who some of the better Europeans will be, is if they play in the World Under 18's as an underager. It usually works better for the stronger countries. So here's a list of the 1988 birthdates who played in the tournament.

Czech Republic
Michael Frolik F
David Kveton F
Jiri Tlusty F
David Ruzicka D

Finland
Joonas Kemppainen F
Robert Nyholm F
Max Warn F

Russia
Semen Varlamov G

Slovakia
Tomas Marcinko F
Marek Birko D
Marek Simko G

Sweden
Niclas Andersen D
Jhonas Enroth G

United States
Peter Mueller F
Erik Johnson D
Joe Palmer G

Petes1

Oct 26, 2002
Jordan Staal should also be a fairly high pick, I think someone had him in their top 5 a month or so ago.

turnbuckle*

Niklas Backstrom (SWE) is highly regarded. He's a late 1987, plays a solid two-way game, not overly big.

Pipeandin

Dec 7, 2004
Summers and Mitera

If i can remember correctly from the RLR Summers was around 33 I believe, and Mitara was 7 or 8. Mitera will probably the 2nd or 3rd D man in next yrs draft unless his stock plummets. And I think Summers could really sky rocket up the charts and be a top 15 pick.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jeff Dahlia said:
Just the mere thought of Washington or Pittsburgh getting a crack at the top 6-10 slots next year.

I would definetly have issues! :shakehead

Pittsburgh picked 1-2-1 the last three years.

Why Washington? If anything, the Caps were robbed in a rebuilding year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
here are my top guys at each position:

Forward:

Phil Kessel
Michael Frolik
Peter Mueller
Jesse Joensuu
James Sheppard
Jonthan Toews
Brian Little
Jordan Staal
Kyle Okposo
Tomas Marinko
Alexander Vasyunov
Jiri Tlusty
Derrick Brassard
Ben Maxwell
Igor Makarov
Ryan MacDonugh
Blake Geoffrion
Ben Breault
Ondrej Fiala
Andrei Popov

Defense:

Erik Johnson
David Ruzicka
Mark Mitera
Tyson Dowzak
Ben Shutron
Jason Legault
Joey Ryan
Ben Strait
Matt Corrente
Alex Lamontagne
Alex Beiga
Trevor Glass
Victor Bartley
Steve Spade
Matt Cline

Goalies:

J-C Blanchard
Joe Palmer
Jonathan Bernier
Stephan Cesar

SwOOsh*

Jeff Dahlia said:
Just the mere thought of Washington or Pittsburgh getting a crack at the top 6-10 slots next year.

I would definetly have issues! :shakehead

Washington:
2005: 14th
2004: 1st
2003: 18th
2002: 12th
2001: none
2000: 26th

WOW look at all those top 10 picks!!!!!!

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Codey Burki from Brandon could sneak up the charts if he can improve on his 31 point season. Hes got good size at 6'2 and can really skate and pass.

no Gino

May 16, 2005
Joe Hallenback said:
Codey Burki from Brandon could sneak up the charts if he can improve on his 31 point season. Hes got good size at 6'2 and can really skate and pass.

With the big 5 all gone in Brandon, guys like Burki, Topilko, Dettmer, Derlago and Leblanc should all see big increases in playing time and production

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
scoutman1 said:
here are my top guys at each position:

Forward:

Phil Kessel
Michael Frolik
Peter Mueller
Jesse Joensuu
James Sheppard