2006 Draft - who's ‎UP; who's DOWN?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How can Staal and Backstrom be up, Staal went 2nd overall and Backstrom 4th if they werent having big seasons it would be a major disappointment.

Bäckströms start is sensational, in terms of stats. 17 pts in 12 games in the SEL is all time high. I wouldn't bet on a Forsberg or Crosby matching it, Peter didn't come close during the lockout.

So its a sensational start.

At the same time, his play on the ice don't match the stats. He could be a PPG or close player next year in the NHL, but I don't think he would be this season. He still must improve his skating some. Though he is looking great.

Randall Graves*

Up:
Bobby Hughes - 18 points (7G, 11A) in 9 games played for Kingston so far this season. Picked 123rd overall.

Jamie McBain - 3 assists in 4 games for the University of Wisconsin to date this season. Picked 63rd overall.
McBain defensively was unimpressive against UND, and made a horrible play in OT.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I don't think many people expected Staal to be in the NHL this year, even with the Penguins as poor as they are.

Whose expectations were those? I fully expected him to do far worse and look far more lost than he did when given what I thought would be his token cup of coffee up here. Personally I am pretty shocked at what he has done thus far. Did you or anyone else expect him to fit in as well as he has this year, right now? I find that hard to believe that you or anyone expected this.

It's not a case of expecting him to make the NHL. It's that thus far, his impact in the NHL hasn't been anything of particular note, at least not for someone drafted 2nd overall. He was expected to take large and fast steps in his development this year. Having a good camp and making the NHL (even on a weak team) is of some note, but unless he starts making more of an impact, I don't see him as having shown enough to say he's exceeded the expectations. And seeing that it was the precisely the expectations of his development taking a jump this year that raised his stock so high that he was a 2nd overall pick, I don't think his stock is really raised by him actually taking a jump in his development.

And really, it's not like he was beating out a ton of quality depth to make the Pittsburgh roster. The only people on the team seeing less icetime than him are Chris Thorburn, Karl Stewart and Andre Roy. Beating them out for playing time isn't really a significant accomplishment unexpected from your usual 2nd round pick. Unless he manages to increase his playing time and have more of an impact, his making the NHL actually drops his stock a little in my eyes, as he won't be getting the development he should be in what should be an extremely key year in his development. However, I rather suspect he'll be returned to juniors before the 10 game mark anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
It's not a case of expecting him to make the NHL. It's that thus far, his impact in the NHL hasn't been anything of particular note, at least not for someone drafted 2nd overall. He was expected to take large and fast steps in his development this year. Having a good camp and making the NHL (even on a weak team) is of some note, but unless he starts making more of an impact, I don't see him as having shown enough to say he's exceeded the expectations. And seeing that it was the precisely the expectations of his development taking a jump this year that raised his stock so high that he was a 2nd overall pick, I don't think his stock is really raised by him actually taking a jump in his development.

And really, it's not like he was beating out a ton of quality depth to make the Pittsburgh roster. The only people on the team seeing less icetime than him are Chris Thorburn, Karl Stewart and Andre Roy. Beating them out for playing time isn't really a significant accomplishment unexpected from your usual 2nd round pick. Unless he manages to increase his playing time and have more of an impact, his making the NHL actually drops his stock a little in my eyes, as he won't be getting the development he should be in what should be an extremely key year in his development. However, I rather suspect he'll be returned to juniors before the 10 game mark anyway, so it's a bit of a moot point.

If he sticks now that Malkin is there then it will prove something. I'm pretty sure most people were expecting him to be in Peterborough this year. Also, I think his play has raised his position in overall prospect rankings.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
How about Kyle Okposo? someone know his stats?

Big O has got 4 pts in 4 games. If he ends up with that...that will be an excellent freshman year about 25 or so pts. Admittedly, several of those games were against lesser competition...the Gophers have played 2 against Wayne State and 1 against a Candadian University Lethbridge (but its the first couple of games as a freshman so there's got to be an adjustment). Even so, in the game I listened to...the one challenging game...against Maine, Okposo was one of the top 3 or 4 names called on radio. He sounded like he was all over the place.

O's off to a good start.

Jori

Big O has got 4 pts in 4 games. If he ends up with that...that will be an excellent freshman year about 25 or so pts. Admittedly, several of those games were against lesser competition...the Gophers have played 2 against Wayne State and 1 against a Candadian University Lethbridge. Even so, in the game I listened to...the one challenging game...against Maine, Okposo was one of the top 3 or 4 names called on radio. He sounded like he was all over the place.

O's off to a good start.

I think Okposo will have a very good freshman campaign. He's been centered by Ryan Stoa in the early going and they've made a good pairing thus far.

Speaking of Islanders prospects, Rhett Rakhshani has had a very good start for DU. He's been playing on an all freshman line with Brock Trotter and Tyler Ruegsegger (Leafs prospect). That line has really carried the Pioneers so far and Denver will need their production in light of JD Corbin's injury.

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
Big O has got 4 pts in 4 games. If he ends up with that...that will be an excellent freshman year about 25 or so pts. Admittedly, several of those games were against lesser competition...the Gophers have played 2 against Wayne State and 1 against a Candadian University Lethbridge (but its the first couple of games as a freshman so there's got to be an adjustment). Even so, in the game I listened to...the one challenging game...against Maine, Okposo was one of the top 3 or 4 names called on radio. He sounded like he was all over the place.

O's off to a good start.

If you've seen a gophers game, can you tell me how did david fischer look?
does he get lot of play time? did he play with johnson?
thx

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I have a feeling Backstrom might come out of this draft as the best player. His start in the SEL is unprecidented. He's leading the freakin league right now.

Giroux's numbers are amazing and I can't wait to see him play. I've heard that he combines heart and grit with a fine skill level à la Gilmour.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
David Fischer doesn't seem to be a starter with the Gophers and has -1 in one game and no shots.

Not exactly a great start for him, hopefully he'll kick it into gear.

Tinordi24*

I have a feeling Backstrom might come out of this draft as the best player. His start in the SEL is unprecidented. He's leading the freakin league right now.

Giroux's numbers are amazing and I can't wait to see him play. I've heard that he combines heart and grit with a fine skill level à la Gilmour.

He's a major league player based on every clip I saw and I am hearing more and more Forsberg comparisions (minus the edge) lately.

I'm biased but I think you maybe right on this one. And I was one who was lobbying our GM to move up and pay the price to get EJ. Am I glad he didnt so far. Kid is sick.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002

He was the guy I wanted the habs to pick, and he's still one of my favorite player right now. I really enjoy watching this guy play, he's got something special and I don't understand why so many team missed that.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
David Fischer doesn't seem to be a starter with the Gophers and has -1 in one game and no shots.

He is a starter but is sick, so he missed last weekends action, don't know if he will miss the ohio state games too, it's strep throat I beleive. Also the -1 wasn't his fault imo, it was RJ Anderson's, since he was out of position. Fischer had some nice passes, did ok in the game, although the entire team seemed a bit out of it except Barriball who was all over the place in the season opener.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
If he sticks now that Malkin is there then it will prove something. I'm pretty sure most people were expecting him to be in Peterborough this year. Also, I think his play has raised his position in overall prospect rankings.

I´m one of those guys who think taking Staal 2nd overall was a smart move but I don´t get why his stock is rising!

Sure his first NHL game came earlier than expected and he has shown in those games that he´s a future NHLer.
But to say his stock has risen is ridiculous unless you think Johnson, Toews or Backstrom wouldn´t be able to do the same (looking smart but hardly making any impact).
A 10-game stint in the NHL doesn´t rise any players potential or stock unless they make an impact.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006

No personally I did not see Fischer...and yes, he's been out with a very bad case of strep.

Even so, he'll be back in the line-up this weekend with his first serious test. He'll be paired with Brian Schack, a walk on, easily the least talented D on the Gopher team...while going up against pretty competent Ohio State team on the road (one that sports 19 upperclassmen of the 25 they suit up). David will be in the firing line for the first time this weekend.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
How about Kyle Okposo? someone know his stats?

He has 6 points in 5 game so far with 4 goals. He is used in all situations : plays in the first pp unit and is used during the pk. As a freshman, this is rather impressive. He seems to be a complete player...

Good pick by the Isles !

Miko

Jul 22, 2005
Calgary
Leland Irving has been impressive so far to say the least.10GP 12GA 3SO 1.19GAA SP 0.951% 8-1-1 so far this season with the Everett Silvertips.

We flame fans are very excited about this kids potential.

Jori

Tyler Ruegsegger (6th round pick for the Leafs) has 7 points in 6 games for the Pioneers. He's playing on the top line for the University of Denver with Rhett Rakhshani (Islanders) and Brock Trotter (draft eligible for 2007--missed out on 2006 because of a severed achilles tendon).

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Tyler Ruegsegger (6th round pick for the Leafs) has 7 points in 6 games for the Pioneers. He's playing on the top line for the University of Denver with Rhett Rakhshani (Islanders) and Brock Trotter (draft eligible for 2007--missed out on 2006 because of a severed achilles tendon).

i agree, his stick has risen ALOT

Maxwell, Irving, Tlustly have also seen there stock rise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->