2006 Draft - who's ‎UP; who's DOWN?

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Dear all, I start this thread again (did it also for the 2004 and 2005 drafts). The question I ask is not to redo the 2006 draft, but simply underline the play of some players since the beginning of the various seasons in different leagues.

I don't know much about the players other than the first 10-15th draftees, so here is my question: what players have seen their stock increase or decrease since the draft day?

For instance, it seems that Ivan Vishnevskiy (picked by Dallas in the first round) is doing well, but I am not able to tell if he is delivering what was expected from him or if he is better than what was expected.

Ben Maxwell that IMO has seen is stock increase since the draft day.... are there others?

Thanks!

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
UP
Gotta argue that Jordan Staal (or Penguin Staal) has had his stock increase. He did not look out of place at all in the game at MSG and looks very promising.
Although, it will be interesting to see what the Pens do with Malkin coming back. Staal might go back to jrs where his experience could benefit him greatly.

Cory Emmerton (41st overall - DET) is at 16 pts in 9 games for Kingston. He's picked up where he left off at the end of the OHL season, not at from where he played at the u-18.

Bobby Sanguinetti (21st overall - NYR) has also been lighting up the OHL.

Nicklas Backstrom (4th overall -WSH) has 17 points in 12 games for Brynas (SEL). Hard to raise your stock past 4th overall but he's making a good case for it.

Trevor Lewis (17th overall - LA) proving he can play in a highly competitive league. There were questions about whether or not he could produce past the USHL. Apparently he can.

DOWN

Derrick Brassard (6th overall - CBJ) Injured again. It's gotta be 'cause for concern in the Jacket's camp.

LIMBO
Matthew Corrente (30th overall -NJ) Great play in the pre-season may be overshadowed by allegations of an off ice incident. Although little is known, the press has used his name as a driving point in the Saginaw story. Lamoriello and the Devils will pay attention to the facts, but if many people might not.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Gotta argue that Jordan Staal (or Penguin Staal) has had his stock increase. He did not look out of place at all in the game at MSG and looks very promising.
Although, it will be interesting to see what the Pens do with Malkin coming back. Staal might go back to jrs where his experience could benefit him greatly.

Absolutely. The Pens, on so many levels, would be dumb to keep him up, even though he certainly seems capable of playing at the NHL level in some capacity. I agree with the up on him too part. Which I freely admit surprised the hell out of me. I was one of the hugest supporters of the Pens taking Kessel first. I still have no clue what they will do with Staal once he sticks for good, but have to admit that more and more this Shero guy seems to know what he is doing.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Jiri Tlusty has to be up considering he's probably the youngest of players playing in the AHL right now. :)

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
Absolutely. The Pens, on so many levels, would be dumb to keep him up, even though he certainly seems capable of playing at the NHL level in some capacity. I agree with the up on him too part. Which I freely admit surprised the hell out of me. I was one of the hugest supporters of the Pens taking Kessel first. I still have no clue what they will do with Staal once he sticks for good, but have to admit that more and more this Shero guy seems to know what he is doing.

I've heard they have thought about using him on the wing. I'm not sure if he can play there though. I've heard differing arguments on his ability on the wing. It does give you a conundrum up the middle though, doesn't it. If he develops into 3/4 the player Eric Staal (Hurricane Staal) is then you're left with three outstanding centers. Do you give them each 16-18 minutes of ice time each? (this is a few years down the road). Do you deal Staal for a defensive prospect? It will be interesting to see what Shero does.

Kessel, while playing well did not impress me as much as Staal did from the games I have watched, but Kessel is guaranteed a full NHL season to make an impression, while Staal may only get a handful of games.

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
UP
Michal Neuvirth (WSH) -- he is making the Plymouth Whalers the toughest team to beat in a shootout.

Jan Mursak (DET) -- he had five points in the Saginaw Spirit's 8-1 thump of the Kingston Frontenacs.

Jordan Staal (PIT) -- his very first NHL goal was shorthanded and unassisted.

Claude Giroux (PHI) -- he is leading the Gatineau Olympiques in scoring and he is proving that Bobby Clarke should remember his name.

Phil Kessel (BOS) -- he is actually still playing on the Bruins roster! :eek: :sarcasm:

Chris Stewart (COL) -- he was named the Kingston Frontenacs' new captain.

Mike Weber (BUF) -- he was named the Windsor Spitfires' new captain.

Jonathan Bernier (LA) -- he just got his pro contract.

Karamahti*

Down - Riku Helenius (TB, 16th) - Stuck behind Tuukka Rask (0 minutes played) before dislocating his shoulder which requires surgery, out 4 months.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I've heard they have thought about using him on the wing. I'm not sure if he can play there though. I've heard differing arguments on his ability on the wing. It does give you a conundrum up the middle though, doesn't it. If he develops into 3/4 the player Eric Staal (Hurricane Staal) is then you're left with three outstanding centers. Do you give them each 16-18 minutes of ice time each? (this is a few years down the road). Do you deal Staal for a defensive prospect? It will be interesting to see what Shero does.

Kessel, while playing well did not impress me as much as Staal did from the games I have watched, but Kessel is guaranteed a full NHL season to make an impression, while Staal may only get a handful of games.

If Staal developes as he seems he might, and the experiment with moving him to wing fails, it really is not a problem at all. And yes, I do think that it will fail to a degree. Can he play there? Likely, but is wasted there, just as Malkin, the player Staal reminds me of, could play there but would be a crime not put at center.

If he is not a total success at wing, he could bring a boatload of talent back in a trade. Name me a team other than the Pens that could not use a Malkin like center and who would not pay through the nose for one?

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
No idea about other team's prospects but for the Canucks prospects, I'd say:

Michael Grabner (14th) - up, slightly. Had a solid training camp and has 6G in 7GP in the dub.

Daniel Rahimi (82nd) - down, slightly. Showed some great things like defensive positioning, but is in absolutely horrible fitness/shape so that puts him a bit down for now although that is at least something that can be easily modified.

Sergei Shirokov (163rd) - same. He'd be up a lot if this was his draft class but he's been passed over twice so far in drafts, so his awesome production in Russia is hard to judge.

Juraj Simek (167th) - way up. Looks awesome in the dub, maybe a little lost in the defensive zone, but has an excellent offensive game that he's successfully brought over to North America.

Evan Fuller (197th) - way down. Shouldn't have been drafter, complete waste of a pick.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
UP

Cory Emmerton (41st overall - DET) is at 16 pts in 9 games for Kingston. He's picked up where he left off at the end of the OHL season, not at from where he played at the u-18.

Bobby Sanguinetti (21st overall - NYR) has also been lighting up the OHL.

Nicklas Backstrom (4th overall -WSH) has 17 points in 12 games for Brynas (SEL). Hard to raise your stock past 4th overall but he's making a good case for it.

Trevor Lewis (17th overall - LA) proving he can play in a highly competitive league. There were questions about whether or not he could produce past the USHL. Apparently he can.

DOWN

Derrick Brassard (6th overall - CBJ) Injured again. It's gotta be 'cause for concern in the Jacket's camp.

LIMBO
Matthew Corrente (30th overall -NJ) Great play in the pre-season may be overshadowed by allegations of an off ice incident. Although little is known, the press has used his name as a driving point in the Saginaw story. Lamoriello and the Devils will pay attention to the facts, but if many people might not.

How can Staal and Backstrom be up, Staal went 2nd overall and Backstrom 4th if they werent having big seasons it would be a major disappointment.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How can Staal and Backstrom be up, Staal went 2nd overall and Backstrom 4th if they werent having big seasons it would be a major disappointment.

Staal, the youngest player in the draft and a mere week removed from being in next year's draft, moved right to the NHL and not only looked as if he belonged but at times dominated defensively out there. I for one did not expect that. He was all about potential. Crosby seems to have spoiled some here. You do not remember how rare it is for a guy to move to the NHL at eighteen and belong. Staal was thought of very highly by most, which is why he went number two and not one but several teams tried to move up to get him. And yet, yes, he has exceeded even those expectations thus far.

________

Feb 6, 2006
David McIntyre from what i've heard was impressive first at the Stars prospect camp and has had a nice start this year for Colgate.

Powdered Toast Man

Is he a ham?
Nov 22, 2005
Nick Folingo had a great training camp with the Sens and is doing awesome down up in Sudbury. 16 points in 9 games all while playing his normal chippy game picking up 22pm.

SChan*

17p in 11 games for Backstrom. Not 12. Right now that's the best ever start for a swedish junior.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Staal, the youngest player in the draft and a mere week removed from being in next year's draft, moved right to the NHL and not only looked as if he belonged but at times dominated defensively out there. I for one did not expect that. He was all about potential. Crosby seems to have spoiled some here. You do not remember how rare it is for a guy to move to the NHL at eighteen and belong. Staal was thought of very highly by most, which is why he went number two and not one but several teams tried to move up to get him. And yet, yes, he has exceeded even those expectations thus far.

All true, but Jordan Staal was drafted as highly he was on the expectation that he would develop quickly in the year after the draft (just like his older brothers did). That he has played well, though not exceptional, on a bad team means he met expectations, not that he exceeded them.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
All true, but Jordan Staal was drafted as highly he was on the expectation that he would develop quickly in the year after the draft (just like his older brothers did). That he has played well, though not exceptional, on a bad team means he met expectations, not that he exceeded them.

I don't think many people expected Staal to be in the NHL this year, even with the Penguins as poor as they are.

17p in 11 games for Backstrom. Not 12. Right now that's the best ever start for a swedish junior.

I'd say Backstrom, like Staal is progressing far better than anticipated. While it's hard to move from #2 and #4 overall in a full prospects ranking (ie HF Top 50) it makes a difference.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Whose expectations were those? I fully expected him to do far worse and look far more lost than he did when given what I thought would be his token cup of coffee up here. Personally I am pretty shocked at what he has done thus far. Did you or anyone else expect him to fit in as well as he has this year, right now? I find that hard to believe that you or anyone expected this.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Limbo:

James Sheppard, finally got back to the Q after finally getting over a nagging back injury he suffered this summer...he got an assist his first game back, so hopefully Bigfoot hits Cape Breton like gangbusters...

Down:
Ondrej Fiala, still hasnt played a minute this year for Everett after off-season knee surgery.

Up:

Jay Bariball, SJ's 7th rounder...the 5'9" true freshman has 4 goals in 3 games already for Minnesota. In the local fish wrap he was quoted as saying "it took me about a period to adjust to the speed of college hockey"

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005

stock doesnt neccessarily mean retroactive draft positions

his value has increased. he used to be a stretch to get jack johnson straight up, now the pens wouldnt even think about doing that. his VALUE has gone up.

personally, i still woudlnt have take him in the top 2

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Up:
Bobby Hughes - 18 points (7G, 11A) in 9 games played for Kingston so far this season. Picked 123rd overall.

Jamie McBain - 3 assists in 4 games for the University of Wisconsin to date this season. Picked 63rd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad