2006 Draft: Pick 20 to 25-Who might be had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
The Caps got Nashville's pick. It looks like it will fall 20-25. The Caps seem likely to draft a forward. I looked back at Cup4Wings 3 round Mock and considered 5 picks above and below. 15-25 Range. The names that interest me are RW Chris Stewart (doubt he is there) RW Kyle Okposo RW Jese Joenesuu C Cory Emmerton C Ben Maxwell. Any chance Little, Vasyunov or Nigel Williams drop here? Anyone else worth looking at?

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
are u joking... little will be had in top 12

Someone said they had him going at 37? Basically said he didn't like him. I think he is this years Brule. Little and Staal or Kessel would be sweet for the Caps. Kessel an AO would be a thing of beauty.

X-SHARKIE

Capitals may look at goaltender Jonathan Bernier of Lewiston or another in Leland Irving with that late second pick.

I have to imagine they're sky high on Williams who I am as well and would fit the type of defenseman they have been bringing in lately....with all the seconds they have, I fully expect the Capitals to make a move up on the draft board to any team willing to trade down with a mid 1st.

They did it in 02 with great results, I expect the same in 06.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
Capitals may look at goaltender Jonathan Bernier of Lewiston or another in Leland Irving with that late second pick.

I have to imagine they're sky high on Williams who I am as well and would fit the type of defenseman they have been bringing in lately....with all the seconds they have, I fully expect the Capitals to make a move up on the draft board to any team willing to trade down with a mid 1st.

X-Couple of follow ups. The Caps seem to prefer large goalies and Bernier is a smaller guy. Reto Berra is a big guy and I think they will look strongly at him. What's your take on him? Also, what do you think of Billy Sauer? Where should he go?

Last edited:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:

I would love to get Nigel Williams but I don't believe the priorities are there this year. The Caps will likely draft C, C, RW, G, G. I could see them taking Nigel if he is there though.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Jon Prescription said:
BPA...BPA...BPA.

It is not so easy to compare. Do you honestly think there is a huge difference? This year the top talent seems to be at Center and Wing. That fits our needs.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Caps will take Ryan White with that late 1st from Nashville. They love guys from out west and White would be a good fit

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
LaLaLaprise said:
Im not so sure its a lock.
Agreed. It will all depend on individual preferences of the teams, of course. I don't know who thought Setoguchi would go top-10 either. But trying to evaluate Little objectively, he seems to have a good mix of attributes that might make him a candidate to drop in the draft order relative to his rankings. Start with size, of course. Continue with a lack of visibly impressive physical skills... he isn't fast, his shot is deceptively good but still not especially heavy, he competes but you couldn't really say he brings a physical game... that sort of thing. Then put in his later birth date. I could EASILY see him falling out of the top-10. And further, depending on how the preferences of the teams stack up. Past top-20 would still be a major stretch though, so it's not like he's going to be an option for that NAS pick.

(Mind you, as much as I'd argue that Little is a good candidate to fall out of the top-10, I also think any NHL GMs who let that happen are nuts. He'd be solidly in my own top-10, no problem).

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:
BPA...BPA...BPA.

:clap:

THANK GOD SOMEONE SAID IT!!!

Anyone who drafts for need in the NHL draft is a fool IMO.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Although it will never go exactly like this, let's assume for now a "consensus" top 18 of:
Kessel
Toews
Frolik
Backstrom
Tlusty
Johnson
Williams
Okposo
Bernier
Brassard
Sheppard
Wishart
Mueller
Staal
Sanguinetti
Stewart
Foligno
Little
(note that this is not meant to be in order- this is a league by league list)
Any players not on this list would clearly be very good bets for 20-25.

RayLeeCharles

Aug 31, 2005
WaSt
A player who could move into the later half of the 1st round is Michael Grabner from Spokane. He hasnt been ranked high in the rankings but had a really good prospects game and has been on a tear since that game. He is a player who could really turn into a steal with the potential I see in him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
chiefmonarch said:
A player who could move into the later half of the 1st round is Michael Grabner from Spokane. He hasnt been ranked high in the rankings but had a really good prospects game and has been on a tear since that game. He is a player who could really turn into a steal with the potential I see in him.

36 goals and 13 assists....does he know what the word 'pass'' means?

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
monster_bertuzzi said:
Little will be gone by top 10 im pretty sure. Some that could be around that would be of interest:

Alex Vasyunov
Jesse Joensu
Ben Shuttron
Ty Wishart
Ben Maxwell
Mitch Fadden

Mitch Fadden eh? havent heard much about him, anyone have any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->