2006 Draft is Kessel a lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
jake1 said:
http://www.detroitsportsrag.com/articles/spiro080905.html

From a Jack Johnson interview. I guess we know what Johnson thinks of the Sid/Phil debate:

"Sid is the best player that I have ever played with or against. We hit it off right away during our first year at Shattuck. The whole chemistry of the team was so great; it was just like an immediate click.

One of my favorite Sid stories is the time that Phil Kessel's mom went right down to the glass and started heckling him before a face-off in the opponents' zone. She was calling Sid every nasty name in the book and telling him that he was overrated. Typically, Sid would win the face-off and set me up for a slap shot near the blueline. Not this time. Sid went up to me and said that he was going to win the face-off and take the puck himself and score. I just nodded my head.

Sure enough, the puck drops and Sid grabs possession. Within 2 seconds, the red light goes off and all Sid does is tip his hat to Mrs. Kessel. Just a classic Sid Crosby moment."

I found it strange that Johnson would rather hit someone than score a goal. Or that he'd rather win a National Championship than a Stanley Cup

espo*

Chileiceman said:
I found it strange that Johnson would rather hit someone than score a goal. Or that he'd rather win a National Championship than a Stanley Cup
I don't find it overly strange he'd rather hit someone then score a goal but the national championship over the Stanley Cup? yeah,that's odd.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
This story would impress me more...if Johnson and Crosby weren't playing against 15 year old highschool players.

I would say they were playing against guys aged 15 - 18. What's more impressive is what he did against guys up to 20 yrs old when he was 16 and 17.

AgentNaslund*

2006 seems like a strong year for americans. Who is the top Canadian player in the draft?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
AgentNaslund said:
2006 seems like a strong year for americans. Who is the top Canadian player in the draft?

Right now it looks to be Jon Toews from Winnipeg. He's Canada's captain and the tournament's top scorer at the World U18 Cup right now, heading into todays final. He's a very skilled and very big kid who could go in the top 3 next year.

Ben Maxwell, Jordan Staal and James Sheppard are all very good Canadian prospects as well and could take over the top Canadian spot. Others may step up as well, it's very early and not clear cut - but Toews is the leadign candidate now.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
jake1 said:
http://www.detroitsportsrag.com/articles/spiro080905.html

From a Jack Johnson interview. I guess we know what Johnson thinks of the Sid/Phil debate:

"Sid is the best player that I have ever played with or against. We hit it off right away during our first year at Shattuck. The whole chemistry of the team was so great; it was just like an immediate click.

One of my favorite Sid stories is the time that Phil Kessel's mom went right down to the glass and started heckling him before a face-off in the opponents' zone. She was calling Sid every nasty name in the book and telling him that he was overrated. Typically, Sid would win the face-off and set me up for a slap shot near the blueline. Not this time. Sid went up to me and said that he was going to win the face-off and take the puck himself and score. I just nodded my head.

Sure enough, the puck drops and Sid grabs possession. Within 2 seconds, the red light goes off and all Sid does is tip his hat to Mrs. Kessel. Just a classic Sid Crosby moment."

Hey if Johnson says Sidney is the best then that must be true right? :rolleyes:
Sure Crosby is a great prospect no question but he hasn't acomplished anything in the nhl yet. I bet you that Johnson won't tell you about the times Crosby failed to get the play his way.

And I also bet that if Kessel was a canadian you would be debating who of the two would be the next one but you'll never admit to that so ignore that last statement :snide:

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Entrancemperium said:
And I also bet that if Kessel was a canadian you would be debating who of the two would be the next one but you'll never admit to that so ignore that last statement :snide:
Nice try, but wrong. I'm American, and I have nothing either for or against American or Canadian hockey players. I posted it because I thought it was relevant, as Johnson is probably one of the few players who has in fact played with both Crosby and Kessel for an entire season.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
jake1 said:
Nice try, but wrong. I'm American, and I have nothing either for or against American or Canadian hockey players. I posted it because I thought it was relevant, as Johnson is probably one of the few players who has in fact played with both Crosby and Kessel for an entire season.

:biglaugh:

Burn.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Entrancemperium said:
I bet you that Johnson won't tell you about the times Crosby failed to get the play his way.

Well with 160+ points in 50 something games, I'm guessing there weren't a lot of times where things didn't go his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->