2006 draft - Ben Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
2 goals and an assist tonight for the Kootenay Ice. Has been mentioned before as a top 15 candidate but rarely gets the nod for the top 10, despite being a better player than guys like Staal (IMO) who are in there. So, with a big season could he rise up the ranks or is it a little too early?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I havent heard of him. His points dont look that great. But i shouldnt say that because i've never seen him play.

I loved what i saw from Brian Little though. He looks like a good goal scorer. Is he considered top 10?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
MaDdY said:
I havent heard of him. His points dont look that great. But i shouldnt say that because i've never seen him play.

I loved what i saw from Brian Little though. He looks like a good goal scorer. Is he considered top 10?

IMO he could be competing with Kessel for the first spot, although thats unlikely. I think he's considered a top ten right now, but the media will wake up and he'll be a consensus top five ala Johnson and Ryan in '05 right before the draft.

Helmethead

Jun 2, 2002
Port Cockerton
Visit site
superroyain10 said:
IMO he could be competing with Kessel for the first spot, although thats unlikely. I think he's considered a top ten right now, but the media will wake up and he'll be a consensus top five ala Johnson and Ryan in '05 right before the draft.
i agree with your post i think he will go after kessel,frolik,and towes at no 4 overall.but he could play awsome and steal the show.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Well, Maxwell had a pretty unimpressive season last year, which is probably why he isn't considered a consenus top 10. Yeah, he was buried behind some veterans in Kootenay and didn't get top 6 icetime or linemates, but if you play well enough you start to get those things. I do think that Maxwell has the talent to be a mid to high first round pick if he can produce this year, which I think he will. You really can't blame anyone for not having him higher though after last season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Greg7 said:
Well, Maxwell had a pretty unimpressive season last year, which is probably why he isn't considered a consenus top 10. Yeah, he was buried behind some veterans in Kootenay and didn't get top 6 icetime or linemates, but if you play well enough you start to get those things. I do think that Maxwell has the talent to be a mid to high first round pick if he can produce this year, which I think he will. You really can't blame anyone for not having him higher though after last season.

I think a lot will depend on how much bulk he's added. Based on last year's viewings, he's one of those guys who are slightly built (6'0 180) and weak on the puck, and isn't an overly great skater. Those guys have a tendancy to plummet through the draft (see Nick Drazenovic). But often the difference between a player at 16 and 17 is huge, and if he's come back this year with an extra inch and 10-15 lbs, and some extra zip in his skating stride, it'll be a different story. He's definitely shown a lot of talent at lower levels. Difficult to comment until actually seeing him.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
MS said:
I think a lot will depend on how much bulk he's added. Based on last year's viewings, he's one of those guys who are slightly built (6'0 180) and weak on the puck, and isn't an overly great skater. Those guys have a tendancy to plummet through the draft (see Nick Drazenovic). But often the difference between a player at 16 and 17 is huge, and if he's come back this year with an extra inch and 10-15 lbs, and some extra zip in his skating stride, it'll be a different story. He's definitely shown a lot of talent at lower levels. Difficult to comment until actually seeing him.
He certainly needs to get stronger, but let's not compare him to Nick Drazenovic, that's just mean. ;) (I know you weren't, just an example of that type of player falling). To be honest I hadn't really thought of him as a small player, just young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad