2006-07 Goaltender Trivia thread

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
(Mods, could I get this thread stickied, and last year's unstickied? Thanks! :thumbu:)

Okay, who's ready for a little trivia?

Goaltender Trivia is back for its eleventh season today, and I hope you'll come along for the ride. I've got a good stockpile of questions; I've even got a good number of simpler questions so that I don't end up having to use a toughie on the two-pointer some week.

On that note, I'm always looking for ideas. Even if you think that they wouldn't work, drop me a line and maybe we can work together to turn them into something great!

The Goaltender Home Page (http://hockeygoalies.org) currently contains game logs for every NHL game since 1985-86, every AHL game since 2003-04, and every Olympics, World Championships event and Canada/World Cup that I can get my hands on. 1984-85 is about half done at the time; I'm pretty excited about that season because I'm a big Pelle Lindbergh fan and that was his magnum opus.

If you've got access to complete sets of box scores for anything I might be able to use (especially the 1992 Olympics) I'd love to hear from you. Also, if there's anything on the site that you'd like to see, I'd be happy to help.

I'm planning on distributing GT in four ways this season - on my website, through the GT mailing list (email [email protected] to subscribe), on the Usenet groups rec.sport.hockey and rec.games.trivia, and on HFBoards (http://hfboards.com).

One request - PLEASE do not post your answers publically. It's not fair to others who would like a fair shot at playing the game. I'll take answer submissions both through e-mail and through private messages on HFBoards (although I'd prefer e-mail just to keep things straight in my mind).

Most important request: HAVE FUN! This isn't brain science, and it sure as heck isn't rocket surgery. It's just a bunch of folks having a good time celebrating the sport of hockey.

Just as a reminder, I usually respond to all answer submissions on the weekend following the deadline (and not before). On the face of it, it's to prevent cheating, but really it's so that I can take care of it all at once.

Okay, let's get things going!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK ONE (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/15/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender currently holds the National Hockey League record for the longest contract (in years), breaking the mark held by his teammate. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On October 5, Mike Dunham became the most recent goaltender to have played for all three current New York area teams (the Rangers, the Devils, and the Islanders). Name the other.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: For a very brief time in 2006-07, this goaltender was tied for the National Hockey League scoring lead. Name him.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following goaltender:
year11week01.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!
Doug
http://hockeygoalies.org

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Just to repeat this part:

One request - PLEASE do not post your answers publically. It's not fair to others who would like a fair shot at playing the game. I'll take answer submissions both through e-mail and through private messages on HFBoards (although I'd prefer e-mail just to keep things straight in my mind).

Thanks! :thumbu:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Wow! What a week - we have seventeen players tied for the lead with perfect weeks after week one!

Rick DiPietro and Mike Dunham, both featured prominently in last week's GT, are in the news again. DiPietro missed last night's game against Boston with a hip flexor, while Dunham has been nothing less than spectacular in his two appearances thus far.

Kudos to David Aebischer for his performances thus far!

I'm very excited about the state of goaltending in the Northwest Division - since the last mailing, I've been able to witness Roberto Luongo, Dwayne Roloson and Jose Theodore, and all looked phenomenal.

Anyhow, let's get started!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.1:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender currently holds the National Hockey League record for the longest contract (in years), breaking the mark held by his teammate. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On September 12 of this year, the New York Islanders resigned Rick DiPietro to a fifteen year, $67.5 million contract (If DiPietro completes the contract, he will be forty years old). Selected first overall in the 2000 entry draft, DiPietro has struggled on a middling-to-poor Islanders team, but the team obviously hopes he will be their backstop as they return to prominence.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On October 5, Mike Dunham became the most recent goaltender to have played for all three current New York area teams (the Rangers, the Devils, and the Islanders). Name the other.
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 12, 2001, the New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils swapped backup netminders, sending John Vanbiesbrouck to the Devils in hopes of winning his first Stanley Cup. The Beezer's quest ultimately came one win short, but his long career was peppered with accolades, including the 1986 Vezina Trophy and a surprise trip to the 1996 Cup Finals.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: For a very brief time in 2006-07, this goaltender was tied for the National Hockey League scoring lead. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Nearly fifteen minutes into the opening night game between Buffalo and Carolina on October 4, Cam Ward picked up the second assist on Eric Staal's game-tying marker. Ward was tied with five other players for nearly a full period, until Ray Whitney registered his second assist of the evening.

year11week01.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: I figured this would be as good of a way as any to welcome Evgeni Malkin to the National Hockey League. This is from the 2006 World Championships, and features Czech netminder Milan Hnilicka stopping Malkin from in close. You'll probably remember Hnilicka as the goaltender who stepped up to post a solid season with the 2001-02 Atlanta Thrashers.

As I said above, seventeen co-leaders this week! I don't believe that last week's questions were particularly easier than usual, but 17 leaders is the result of a lot of competitors! Welcome back to the returners, and welcome aboard to the newcomers - I hope you all stick around for a long time!

Code:
[font=courier new]
OCTOBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:
1. Andrew                  15
   Ryan Angus              15
   Scott Bennett           15
   Mark Benvenga           15
   #12 Peter Bondra        15
   Jeff Brace              15
   Gary Burrows            15
   Crashlanding            15
   Bill Desimone           15
   Pete Hibbard            15
   Jason Kurylo            15
   Roger Maynard           15
   Bryan McCready          15
   Stephane Robert         15
   John Santore            15
   Wisent                  15
   David Zetterman         15
[/font]

This week's should be decently obtainable - keep the faith and trust your instincts!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWO (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/21/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This past spring, this one-time National Hockey League netminder captured the 2006 Memorial Cup in his first season as a head coach. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: During a team visit to the White House, this goaltender presented then-President Ronald Reagan with a goal stick inscribed with the words "The Puck Stops Here". Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Since the implementation of the National Hockey League tiebreaking shootout, who holds the league record for the greatest number of shootout saves in a single game without allowing a shootout goal?

year11week02.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Garry Bauman passed away this week at the age of sixty-six. Bauman was probably best known as one of the goaltenders for the expansion North Stars. For those of you interested, here is his obituary, from the Calgary Herald on October 20:

http://www.legacy.com/can-calgary/Obituaries.asp?Page=Notice&PersonID=19

Condolences to Garry's friends and family, and thank you to Martin Schmid for bringing the unfortunate news to my attention.

The return of Jose Theodore to Montreal last night turned out to be a great game - for anyone without a team-specific rooting interest, at least. For an Avalanche fan like myself, it was excruciating. The worst part in my mind is that Theodore and David Aebischer both played pretty well, but were hamstrung by their team's defensive efforts. People who didn't even watch the game are proclaiming Theo a failure for allowing eight goals. But enough about my rant.

The three- and five-point questions relate to events over the past week. First, congratulations to Mike Smith of the Dallas Stars for stopping all twenty-two Phoenix shots to win his National Hockey League debut in a shutout last night. I met Smith during the year I was teaching in Utah, and he's a class act.

On the five-pointer, surely I cannot be the only person watching the Buffalo-Philadelphia game on Tuesday and mentally pleading with the Flyers to take Robert Esche out of the game. He didn't get to the ten goals allowed mark, fortunately for him. And today Ken Hitchcock and Bobby Clarke are both no longer with the Flyers' organization.

Let's check last week's answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.2:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This past spring, this one-time National Hockey League netminder captured the 2006 Memorial Cup in his first season as a head coach. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On May 28, the Quebec Remparts, coached by soon-to-be Hall-of-Famer Patrick Roy, defeated the Moncton Wildcats by a 6-2 margin. The Remparts had lost to Moncton in the QMJHL finals, but qualified for the tournament because of Moncton's automatic bid as host. Roy has been an owner of the Remparts for some time, but did not become coach until September 29, 2005.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: During a team visit to the White House, this goaltender presented then-President Ronald Reagan with a goal stick inscribed with the words "The Puck Stops Here". Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The goaltender of the only American team to win the Stanley Cup during Reagan's tenure as president, Billy Smith presented the stick to the president. Tom Mascioli found this excellent transcript which I will now pilfer:

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1983/52483e.htm

Thanks, Tom! It's an excellent read.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Since the implementation of the National Hockey League tiebreaking shootout, who holds the league record for the greatest number of shootout saves in a single game without allowing a shootout goal?
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 7 of this year, Henrik Lundqvist and the New York Rangers defeated Philadelphia, 1-0, in a shootout lasting thirteen shooters. Lundqvist was also the winning goaltender in the longest shootout in league history, so this sophomore is already exhibiting proficiency in the NHL's new tiebreaking system.

year11week02.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Bill Ranford only played eight games for the Detroit Red Wings, but his performance in games one and two of the team's conference semifinal series against Colorado were remarkable. This is from the May 7 game one, in Denver, in which Ranford outdueled Patrick Roy in a 3-2 overtime victory. Ranford stopped 37 of 39 Avalanche shots on this day.

Seventeen co-leaders have been reduced to eleven. A lot of competitors this year! Well done to all of you - and thanks for playing!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]OCTOBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Ryan Angus              30
   #12 Peter Bondra        30
   Jeff Brace              30
   Pete Hibbard            30
   Jason Kurylo            30
   Tom Mascioli            30
   Roger Maynard           30
   Bryan McCready          30
   John Santore            30
   Wisent                  30
   David Zetterman         30
[/font]

Two more "trivia weeks" in the October competition...the two-pointer this week is a Goaltender Trivia standard. The picture this week is one of my favourites!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWO (Answers due 10pm MDT 10/28/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Chronologically, name the goaltender who allowed to the first goal of the 2006-07 National Hockey League regular season.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On October 21 of this season, the Dallas Stars' Mike Smith recorded a shutout in his National Hockey League debut. Prior to Smith, name the last goaltender to accomplish this.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent National Hockey League netminder to allow ten (or more) goals in a regular-season game.

year11week03.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
We had our first daily blizzard here in Denver over the week, so now it really feels like hockey season is here to stay.

In the "I can't possibly make up stuff this interesting", this past (early) Friday morning Panthers goaltender Ed Belfour apparently spilled a bottle of water in a hotel night club, causing his goalmate Alex Auld to slip and hit his head.

The article from the Sun-Sentinel:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-sppanspec29oct29,0,3045789.story?
coll=sfla-sports-front

Martin Brodeur looks to be rounding into form, with consecutive shutouts of Florida and Columbus.

Let's go to the trivia!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.3:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Chronologically, name the goaltender who allowed to the first goal of the 2006-07 National Hockey League regular season.
CORRECT ANSWER: Just over nine minutes into the start of the season, Buffalo's Dmitri Kalinin scored from the blueline to beat Carolina netminder Cam Ward (the recap at the time claimed that Jason Pominville redirected the shot, but I'm going with the official NHL boxscore) and put the Sabres up, 1-0. Buffalo ended up beating the Hurricanes, 3-2 in a shootout.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: On October 21 of this season, the Dallas Stars' Mike Smith recorded a shutout in his National Hockey League debut. Prior to Smith, name the last goaltender to accomplish this.
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 12, 2005, Montreal's Yann Danis picked up a 32-save shutout at Philips Arena in Atlanta, defeating the Thrashers, 2-0. Only with the Canadiens due to a Cristobal Huet injury, Danis definitely made the most of his opportunity.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the most recent National Hockey League netminder to allow ten (or more) goals in a regular-season game.
CORRECT ANSWER: Bill Ranford, languishing with the moribund Tampa Bay Lightning, was in net on November 10, 1998 when the New York Rangers scored ten times on thirty shots.

year11week03.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Carey Price, the fifth-overall section in the 2005 National Hockey League entry draft, whom the Montreal Canadiens hope will be their next great goaltender.

The field thinned somewhat this past week, but we've still got quite an entertaining race for the October crown with one week to go:

Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Tom Mascioli            45
   Bryan McCready          45
   John Santore            45
4. Ryan Angus              42
5. Gilles Carmel           40
   Roger Maynard           40
   David Zetterman         40
8. Wisent                  38
9. Gary Balentine          35
   Gary Burrows            35
   Pete Hibbard            35[/font]

This is the final trivia week for October, so have a bit of fun! These are a bit harder than usual, as I try to do on the last week of the month. Trust your instincts!

The five-pointer is brought to you by Rick Cole, one of the key figures behind the excellent Faceoff hockey simulation. Thanks, Rick!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK FOUR (Answers due 10pm MST 11/04/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender's current mask is a tribute to legendary "Slapshot" netminder Denis Lemieux. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Now that the "tie" is officially no longer part of the National Hockey League nomenclature, name the league's all-time career leader in ties by a goaltender.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first netminder in the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs to wear sweater number twenty in a league game.

year11week04.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Tom Mascioli and John Santore, who share the October goaltender trivia championship! This is Tom's fifteenth title (the most ever!) and John's fourth - an even ten years since John's last.

It was a great month for trivia - we had more players than ever before, so I guess everyone's as excited about hockey right now as I am. Welcome back to all of the returners, and welcome aboard to the newcomers - I hope that you all stay around.

I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at last night's Colorado - Vancouver contest, and it seems as though whenever Jose Theodore and Roberto Luongo play one another, they bring the level up a notch. I can honestly say that at least five of Theo's saves last evening had me scratching my head.

Let's check out the answers to last week's questions!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.4:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender's current mask is a tribute to legendary "Slapshot" netminder Denis Lemieux. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The Boston Bruins' Hannu Toivonen, who has since changed his mask yet again (thanks to Gary Balentine for letting me know). For those of you who haven't seen the masks, John Santore sent me these links:

http://www.goaliesarchive.com/bruins/indextoivunen.html
http://slapshot.20m.com/image10022.jpg

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Now that the "tie" is officially no longer part of the National Hockey League nomenclature, name the league's all-time career leader in ties by a goaltender.
CORRECT ANSWER: Terry Sawchuk totalled 172 ties over his National Hockey League career. Of course, Sawchuk had the benefit of playing for a very long time.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first netminder in the history of the Toronto Maple Leafs to wear sweater number twenty in a league game.
CORRECT ANSWER: "Leaf it to me" to come up with a question for which we may never know the answer. I believe that Ed Chadwick is the correct answer, as he wore number twenty in the late 1950s for Toronto. (For what it's worth, Chadwick also believes that he is the first). However, due to discrepancies in various Toronto media guides, I cannot fully discount Gilles Mayer as a possibility.

For what it's worth, I really liked this question because I was always working under the assumption that all twenty-wearing goaltenders did so due to Vladislav Tretiak's influence. Live and learn!

year11week04.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: This is the 2001 first-round draft selection of the Chicago Blackhawks, young Adam Munro.

We had a solid group paving the way in October, including a large number of competitors who just missed the final leader board. Well-done!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Tom Mascioli            60
   John Santore            60
3. Ryan Angus              52
4. Gary Burrows            50
   Gilles Carmel           50
   Pete Hibbard            50
   Roger Maynard           50
8. Wisent                  48
9. Gary Balentine          45
   David Zetterman         45[/font]

The two-pointer this week shouldn't be too difficult for those of you up on your current events. And the picture is one of my favourites!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK FIVE (Answers due 10pm MST 11/11/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On June 30, 2006, this former goaltender was named president of the St. Louis Blues, returning to the organization where he began his National Hockey League career. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When Glenn Hall's legendary consecutive games streak finally ended, name the goaltender to replace him in the Chicago net.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a game in the 1980s, two National Hockey League teams tied a longstanding league record for the greatest number of combined goals scored in a single contest. Name all four goaltenders involved in the game.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltender:
year11week05.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Welcome to a special Patrick Roy edition of Goaltender Trivia!

As I'm sure that many of you know, Patrick will be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame tomorrow, alongside Dick Duff, Herb Brooks and Harley Hotchkiss. The game's most prolific netminder, and arguably the best, Roy polarized fans like few others in the history of the league.

As a Colorado fan (I moved to Denver the same year as the team) as well as a goaltender historian, obviously Roy holds a special place in my heart. So...all four of this week's questions deal with Roy.

But before we move to next week, let's look back at last week!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.5:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On June 30, 2006, this former goaltender was named president of the St. Louis Blues, returning to the organization where he began his National Hockey League career. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Although John Davidson is probably best known for either his successful broadcasting career or his legendary run to the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals, he spent his first two seasons in St. Louis.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When Glenn Hall's legendary consecutive games streak finally ended, name the goaltender to replace him in the Chicago net.
CORRECT ANSWER: Denis DeJordy. DeJordy gradually grew into the role as the regular Black Hawk goaltender over the rest of the 1960s. His career ended in 1974 with the Red Wings.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a game in the 1980s, two National Hockey League teams tied a longstanding league record for the greatest number of combined goals scored in a single contest. Name all four goaltenders involved in the game.
CORRECT ANSWER: On December 11, 1985, the Edmonton Oilers and Chicago Black Hawks combined for twenty-one goals in a 12-9 Edmonton victory. Andy Moog and Murray Bannerman started in their clubs' respective nets, but were replaced by Grant Fuhr and Bob Sauve.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name both of the following goaltenders:
year11week05.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The winners of the 1978 Vezina Trophy, Ken Dryden and Michel "Bunny" Larocque. The pair are joined by teammates Larry Robinson (Smythe Trophy) and Guy LaFleur (Hart Trophy).

A lot of co-leaders today after a solid performance by multiple competitors. Well-done!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]NOVEMBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Ryan Angus              15
   Gary Balentine          15
   Paul Branchaud          15
   Mark Calandra           15
   Kevin Cameron           15
   Gilles Carmel           15
   Alex Kozuszko           15
   Tom Mascioli            15
   Mike Taylor             15
   David Zetterman         15[/font]

All Roy, all the time this week.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK SIX (Answers due 10pm MST 11/18/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Prior to Roy, name the most recent goaltender to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In his National Hockey League career (regular season and postseason), name the first and last players to score a goal on Patrick Roy.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the world-class tennis player who, after playing tennis with Roy, remarked: "He surprised me with his backhand. It's amazing."

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following individual, and his significant connection with Patrick Roy:
year11week06.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Many of you enjoyed the all-Roy trivia for the last week, and I had a good time putting it together. For those of you who are not big Roy fans, you can rest easily, as I've nearly exhausted my supply of Roy trivia questions. :D

We now have another German goaltender in the National Hockey League! Well - sort of. Thomas Greiss was recalled from ECHL Fresno on Friday in order to serve as Vesa Toskala's backup with the Sharks the following evening. However, Evgeni Nabokov was able to dress.

Good to see Ryan Miller return to the Sabres from his lower body injury - he's having a great season so far. It's also nice to see Wade Flaherty return to the NHL with the Canucks. Flaherty's a good locker room guy and a better goaltender than he gets credit for. The new NHL/NHLPA collective bargaining agreement essentially kept Flaherty in the minors for all of last year.

Phil Sauve moved teams once again this week, headed to the Boston Bruins on Tuesday. Sauve, once expected to be the Colorado goaltender of the future, has now been dealt yet again.

Let's check out the answers to last week's Royxtravaganza...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.6:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Prior to Roy, name the most recent goaltender to be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
CORRECT ANSWER: In the fall of 2003, Grant Fuhr took his place in hockey's pantheon of greatness. Fuhr won a total of 495 National Hockey League games and was a part of five Stanley Cup winners in Edmonton.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In his National Hockey League career (regular season and postseason), name the first and last players to score a goal on Patrick Roy.
CORRECT ANSWER: On October 10, 1985, Pittsburgh's Mike Bullard scored on Roy in a 5-3 Montreal win. Andrew Brunette closed Roy's career with an overtime goal on April 22, 2003, as the Minnesota Wild overcame a three-games-to-one deficit to defeat the Avalanche in their conference quarterfinal series.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Name the world-class tennis player who, after playing tennis with Roy, remarked: "He surprised me with his backhand. It's amazing."
CORRECT ANSWER: Monica Seles, who played tennis with Roy at his home in Montreal.

PICTORAL QUESTION: Name the following individual, and his significant connection with Patrick Roy:
year11week06.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Montreal coach Mario Tremblay, whose decision to leave Roy in the Canadiens' net for nine goals on December 2, 1995 ultimately led to the goaltender's trade to Colorado.

Still five folks with perfect months with two weeks to play!
Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Paul Branchaud          30
   Gilles Carmel           30
   Alex Kozuszko           30
6. Ryan Angus              25
   Gary Balentine          25
   Mark Calandra           25
9. Kevin Cameron           17
   David Zetterman         17[/font]

I want to say right here that I love the five-pointer this week!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK SEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 11/25/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Likely the best-known goaltender nickname in the history of hockey is "Mr. Goalie". Who was known as Mr. Goalie?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the netminder who very nearly stole the deciding game of the 1984 Canada Cup despite entering the game down 4-0.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Netminder Chris Osgood has scored regular season goals in both the Western Hockey League and National Hockey League. Name the longtime NHLer who was an opponent of Osgood in both of his goal-scoring games.

year11week07.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm not a big fan of advertising, but I do like to mention sites that you would probably find useful. Lately, I've been hooked on the Hockey Recap (http://www.hockey-recap.com/) webpage - it isn't the prettiest page, but it more than gets the job done. Check it out!

Interesting situation now in Anaheim with both Jean-Sebastien Giguere (finger) and Ilya Bryzgalov (groin) on the shelf. I don't know which one it will be, but either David McKee or Mike Wall will make their National Hockey League debut tonight against Calgary.

Tomas Vokoun is also out, for Nashville, meaning that Chris Mason will once again have to carry the load for about one month.

Let's go to the answers, since I'm woefully behind on this Sunday!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.7:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Likely the best-known goaltender nickname in the history of hockey is "Mr. Goalie". Who was known as Mr. Goalie?
CORRECT ANSWER: Glenn Henry Hall, who played 1021 regular and postseason games over the course of an eighteen-year National Hockey League career.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the netminder who very nearly stole the deciding game of the 1984 Canada Cup despite entering the game down 4-0.
CORRECT ANSWER: After starter Gote Walitalo allowed four goals in the first 7:13 of the game, team Sweden made the switch and brought Peter Lindmark into the game. Brent Sutter would score to give Canada a 5-0 lead, but the Swedes battled back before ultimately losing, 6-5, to the Edmonton-loaded Team Canada.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Netminder Chris Osgood has scored regular season goals in both the Western Hockey League and National Hockey League. Name the longtime NHLer who was an opponent of Osgood in both of his goal-scoring games.
CORRECT ANSWER: Current Philadelphia Flyer Geoff Sanderson was on the ice for both of Osgood's tallies, as a member of the Swift Current Broncos on January 3, 1991, and as a member of the Hartford Whalers on March 6, 1996.

year11week07.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: From a photo taken following their April 30, 1999 playoff game, this is Curtis Joseph (foreground) and John Vanbiesbrouck (background). Toronto won this pivotal Game Five before winning the series two nights later on the strength of a 1-0 Joseph shutout.

And here are your November leaders!
Code:
[font=courier new]
NOVEMBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:
1.  Paul Branchaud          45
    Gilles Carmel           45
    Tom Mascioli            45
    Roger Maynard           45
5.  Alex Kozuszko           40
6.  Ryan Angus              38
7.  Mark Calandra           32
8.  Pete Hibbard            30
10. David Zetterman         29
[/font]

One week to go for November - how many of our top four will finish with perfect months?

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK EIGHT (Answers due 10pm MST 12/2/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the Philadelpha Flyer goaltender who was the first netminder in National Hockey League history to have his sweater number retired.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Twice during the 1982-83 National Hockey League season, this goaltender was involved in altercations with Vancouver forward Tiger Williams. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the only individual to win the Stanley Cup, the Canadian lacrosse championship and the Canadian football championship in the same year. Name him.

year11week08.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
What a week! Yes, some tough questions this time, but Tom Mascioli and Roger Maynard navigated each of this month's minefields to record perfect months. Congratulations to both! This is Roger's second title, and Tom's sixteenth.

You'll remember last week I was postulating whether or not Mike Wall or David McKee would make their league debut that night. Wall got the nod and beat the Flames; he was assigned back to the AHL yesterday now that both Giguere and Bryzgalov are healthy.

Also making his league debut this week was Los Angeles' Barry Brust, who relieved a shaky Dan Cloutier (3 goals on 5 shots) on Thursday night in Phoenix.

Let's go straight to last week's answers...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.8:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Name the Philadelpha Flyer goaltender who was the first netminder in National Hockey League history to have his sweater number retired.
CORRECT ANSWER: It was on October 11, 1979 as the Philadelphia Flyers raised the number one of Bernie Parent to the Spectrum rafters. Bernie was forced to retire due to an eye injury suffered midway through the previous season.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Twice during the 1982-83 National Hockey League season, this goaltender was involved in altercations with Vancouver forward Tiger Williams. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: After a confrontation during the previous year's Stanley Cup Finals, Williams engaged Islanders goaltender Billy Smith twice in 1982-83, on October 19 and January 29. The first was a stick-swinging altercation garnering Williams a seven-game suspension. The second incident was a brawl following a Williams slapshot hitting Smith in the throat. Quoth Smith after the game: "I used to respect Tiger because always went after guys on a one-on-one basis. But not after he tried to elbow me in the throat after I was injured. He doesn't show much class; he even had his hands on my throat. That's a little tacky. But that cost them another hockey game, and that shows he's an idiot." No love lost there.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender is the only individual to win the Stanley Cup, the Canadian lacrosse championship and the Canadian football championship in the same year. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: John "Bouse" Hutton, star of the Ottawa Silver Seven early in the 20th century. Hutton was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.

year11week08.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Patrick Lalime, in happier times with the Ottawa Senators. This is Lalime's "Marvin the Martian" mask, one of my favourites.

A lot of great scores this month, including more than a few folks who
would have had perfect months had they not missed a week.

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Tom Mascioli            60
    Roger Maynard           60
3.  Ryan Angus              48
4.  Alex Kozuszko           47
5.  Paul Branchaud          45
    Gilles Carmel           45
    Pete Hibbard            45
9.  Mark Calandra           42
10. David Zetterman         39[/font]

Someone sent me the idea for the three-pointer a few weeks ago, but for the life of me I can't find the e-mail. Remind me and I'll gladly credit you, but for now I apologize for the fact that ten concussions have made my memory a bit spotty...

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK NINE (Answers due 10pm MST 12/9/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On February 6, this goaltender will have his sweater number retired by the Calgary Flames hockey club. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This current goaltender is the first netminder in National Hockey League history to have two masks and two sets of pads, one for his team's regular sweaters and one for his team's third sweaters. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender liked to have his club's trainers deliver a fresh-popped box of popcorn to him just before the warmups, earning him his nickname. Name him.

year11week09.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I went to the Colorado-Columbus game on Tuesday night, and I witnessed something that I never thought I would see in my lifetime. When is the last time, in a National Hockey League game, that a goaltender had forty or more saves in a shutout and was not named one of the three stars of the game?

Fredrik Norrena had forty-two saves in a 3-0 victory over the Avalanche, and I cannot remember two tough saves that he had to make. After the game, he was asked what his toughest save was, and there was a long pause. Finally he basically admitted that he couldn't think of one.

Those of you who tend goal in your lives have undoubtedly experienced this. For instance, I had back-to-back rec league games on Thursday night. We won the first game, 5-2. Although I felt and played as good in the second game, we lost, 11-4 (!).

Maybe this should be called the "Norrena Effect" (not to disparage Norrena in any way - he's an excellent goaltender who happens to be unknown to most casual North American fans). And for those of you who wonder why goaltenders are superstitious, now you know why!

Last week I posed the three-point question, knowing fully that someone had suggested it, but being completely clueless about whom. Well, Pete Hibbard stepped forward - he sent the question in along with his week one answers waaaay back in October. Thanks, Pete!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.9:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On February 6, this goaltender will have his sweater number retired by the Calgary Flames hockey club. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Mike Vernon, whose number thirty will join Lanny McDonald's number nine in the Saddledome rafters. Mike started and finished his career in Calgary, capturing the 1989 Stanley Cup in a six-game win over Montreal.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This current goaltender is the first netminder in National Hockey League history to have two masks and two sets of pads, one for his team's regular sweaters and one for his team's third sweaters. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Roberto Luongo, the Vancouver Canucks star whose separate equipment can be seen in these photos:

s120123A.jpg

nhl_canucks_avalance_hockey.jpg

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender liked to have his club's trainers deliver a fresh-popped box of popcorn to him just before the warmups, earning him his nickname. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Mike Palmateer, "The Popcorn Kid". Palmateer's career started full speed with the Maple Leafs in the mid-1970s and enjoyed a respectable - if short - National Hockey League career.

year11week09.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Wayne Stephenson, who won nearly seventy percent of his games as Bernie Parent's backup with the Philadephia Flyers. When Parent missed the vast majority of the 1975-76 season following surgery, Stephenson won forty games for the two-time defending Cup champions.

We had nine people sweep the first week's questions. Well-done!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]DECEMBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1.  Ryan Angus              15
    Gary Balentine          15
    Jonathan Braniff        15
    Gary Burrows            15
    Jeff Horn               15
    David Zetterman         15
10. Pete Hibbard            10
    Tom Mascioli            10
    Alex Kozuszko           10[/font]

Thanks again to Pete Hibbard for last week's three-pointer!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TEN (Answers due 10pm MST 12/16/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mere days after being told by Montreal vice-president Ken Reardon not to worry about trade rumours, this Hall-of-Fame goaltender was traded to the New York Rangers. Moreover, he learned of the trade on the radio while en route to represent the Canadiens at a pension fund meeting. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When Teemu Selanne broke the record for goals in one season by a National Hockey League rookie, name the goaltender who allowed the record-breaking tally.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This long-time National leaguer, and current television commentator, described his time in the minors this way: "One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink, and then I realized we were on a bus." Name him.

year11week10.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
It's trivia week #11.11! Make a wish!

I don't know how many of you remember Tyrone Garner, who played three games for the Calgary Flames early in 1999. If you live in the south Florida area, you might want to visit the home rink of the SPHL Jacksonville Barracudas; if you do so, you'll get a chance to see Garner skate with the team as a forward! Yes, while waiting for his groin injury to recover, Garner is playing on the Barracuda front lines; he currently has five goals and nine points.

Bryan McCready pointed this out to me last week, and I failed to mention it when I gave the answer to the Luongo question. Although he didn't have two full sets of equipment, Ed Belfour did have "home" and "away" masks while with the Dallas Stars.

Anyhow, let's get to the answers to last week's questions! I'm honestly surprised at how many of you knew Peter Ing. Well-done!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.10:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mere days after being told by Montreal vice-president Ken Reardon not to worry about trade rumours, this Hall-of-Fame goaltender was traded to the New York Rangers. Moreover, he learned of the trade on the radio while en route to represent the Canadiens at a pension fund meeting. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In one of the biggest trades of the era, Jacques Plante was dealt to the New York Rangers on June 4, 1963. Although he was the netminder for all five of Montreal's consecutive Cup wins, Plante was never a favourite of Canadiens management due to his many idiosyncracies.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: When Teemu Selanne broke the record for goals in one season by a National Hockey League rookie, name the goaltender who allowed the record-breaking tally.
CORRECT ANSWER: Selanne scored his 54th goal of the season against the Quebec Nordiques on March 2, 1993, breaking the mark held by Mike Bossy. In goal for the Nords was Stephane Fiset, who emerged as the victor in a 7-4 barnburner.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This long-time National leaguer, and current television commentator, described his time in the minors this way: "One road trip we were stuck on the runway for seven hours. The plane kept driving and driving until we arrived at the rink, and then I realized we were on a bus." Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Glenn Healy went into broadcasting upon his 2001retirement, and has been with TSN since 2002.

year11week10.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Peter Ing only played three games with the Detroit Red Wings in what would be his National Hockey League swan song.

We're still looking at a stacked leader board this week, with thirty points remaining to be had. Are the questions getting easier, or are the competitors getting better? My guess is that it's the latter.

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Ryan Angus              30
    Gary Balentine          30
    Jonathan Braniff        30
    Mark Calandra           30
7.  David Zetterman         27
8.  Pete Hibbard            25
    Tom Mascioli            25
10. Jeff Horn               22[/font]

Please note that I'll be engaged in holidayness next weekend, and therefore I'm making this a two-week trivia "week". I hope that you also enjoy your holiday seasons!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK ELEVEN (Answers due 10pm MST 12/30/06):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On December 14, this goaltender played against his twin brother for the first time in their National Hockey League careers. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender, called up to the National Hockey League this past Friday, is the odds-on favourite to become the first player from his country to appear in a League game. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This Hall-of-Fame goaltender was a pioneer in the use of video games as a hand/eye coordination training device for goaltenders, also swearing by the use of a device developed by a local optometrist. Name him.

year11week11.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Last time, I mentioned that we would be having a two-week trivia period; this was due to my trip to visit friends and family in my hometown near Seattle. However, since that time we have had not one, but two blizzards in the city of Denver, and my flight was canceled. On the bright side, being stuck here allowed me to skate in one of the best pick-up skates I've ever played in. So there we have it.

One of the questions I frequently get is why I don't have more pictures on the site. And the main reason is that I don't own the rights to a lot of photos. Recently, photographer Mike Ashmore graciously allowed me the use of some of his fine work, and I'm proud to announce new pictures of Ari Ahonen, Frank Doyle, Antero Niittymaki, Matthew Yeats, Brian Boucher, Robert Gherson, Johan Holmqvist, Miikka Kiprusoff, Vitaliy Kolesnik, Henrik Lundqvist, Al Montoya, Adam Munro, Fredrik Norrena, Hannu Toivonen, Stephen Valiquette and Cam Ward. Thanks again, Mike!

Here is Mike's personal site: http://mikeashmore.com
And Mike's goaltender site: http://www.geocities.com/ashmoregoalies

Enjoy!

Congratulations to Curtis Joseph, who moved into fifth place on the NHL's all-time wins list with a 40-save shutout of the San Jose Sharks last night.

On to the answers! With the five-pointer, I had Billy Smith in mind but also gave full credit to Grant Fuhr, due to this testimonial found by Roger Maynard:
http://www.performancefundamentals.com/Testimonials/index.html

Although I don't think he has as strong of a case for correctness as I do with Smith - I don't believe Dr. Harrison is "local" to Fuhr - I like that I was able to learn a bit this week. And it always gives me a good lesson in making my questions less vague.

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.11:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On December 14, this goaltender played against his twin brother for the first time in their National Hockey League careers. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Henrik Lundqvist of the New York Rangers stopped 43 of 45 shots as his club defeated the Dallas Stars by a 5-2 margin. Twin brother Joel, an injury recall for the Stars, had nine shifts without registering a shot on Henrik.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender, called up to the National Hockey League this past Friday, is the odds-on favourite to become the first player from his country to appear in a League game. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Yutaka Fukufuji, who is currently with the AHL's Manchester Monarchs, has a decent chance to be the first Japanese native in the NHL if the Los Angeles Kings continue to struggle with their goaltenders.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This Hall-of-Fame goaltender was a pioneer in the use of video games as a hand/eye coordination training device for goaltenders, also swearing by the use of a device developed by a local optometrist. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Billy Smith worked out heavily on a machine created by Dr. Leon Revien designed to "strengthen vision and reflexes". Smith says that if he had his way, Revien's name would be on the Stanley Cup for his contributions to the team. Here's a link to a New York Times article on the subject:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9B0DE7DB1F3CF93AA25754C0A961948260

year11week11.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: You certainly know this gentleman if you've listened to Don Cherry for more than, say, fifteen minutes, as Hardy Astrom was Cherry's goaltender in his year as head coach of the Colorado Rockies. The Swede had the last laugh, staying in Denver one year longer than Cherry.

And then there were three! Gary, Mark and Roger head up the leaderboard this week, although if they all stumble there are more than enough folks waiting to capitalize:

DECEMBER 2006 LEADER BOARD:
Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Gary Balentine          45
    Mark Calandra           45
    Roger Maynard           45
4.  Ryan Angus              40
    Jonathan Braniff        40
    Tom Mascioli            40
    Bryan McCready          40
8.  David Zetterman         37
9.  Pete Hibbard            35
10. Kevin Belobala          32
    Jeff Horn               32[/font]

Last week of the December trivia month. I hope that you all are enjoying your holidays, and that you have a happy New Year!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWELVE (Answers due 10pm MST 01/06/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Identify the most recent time when two future Hall of Fame goaltenders were on the same National Hockey League roster.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender to win the Stanley Cup.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a 1983-84 game, this goaltender was suspended for swinging his stick at a referee - the first time in American Hockey League history that a player was suspended for endangering a referee. Name him.

year11week12.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Congratulations to Roger Maynard and Gary Balentine, who share this month's trivia title! This is the third career championship for each gentleman - well-done!

May I ask why Jiri Holocek hasn't received stronger consideration for induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame?

Yes, last week's three-point question was a reprise of a question asked nearly seven years ago. I usually check to make certain that I do not repeat questions; in fact, I did so in this case as well. For some reason, my Google search did not return fruit (and naturally it does now).

Let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.12:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Identify the most recent time when two future Hall of Fame goaltenders were on the same National Hockey League roster.
CORRECT ANSWER: During the 1971-72 National Hockey League season, the Toronto Maple Leafs boasted the formidable pair of Jacques Plante and Bernie Parent between the pipes.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first goaltender to win the Stanley Cup.
CORRECT ANSWER: Tom Paton backstopped the 1893 Montreal Amateur Athletic Associaton to the inaugural awarding of the Cup.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In a 1983-84 game, this goaltender was suspended for swinging his stick at a referee - the first time in American Hockey League history that a player was suspended for endangering a referee. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: In a November 20 game between the Sherbrooke Jets and New Haven Nighthawks, Sherbrooke netminder Warren Skorodenski earned a twenty-game vacation for attacking referee Dave Lynch. A short New York Times synopsis of the event:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DEED71139F933A05752C1A965948260

year11week12.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Wearing his less-familiar clown mask, this is
Chicago's Warren Skorodenski.

Interestingly enough, in a week filled with landmine-style questions, it was the two-pointer that derailed many of the competitors.

And here they are, the December leader board. We had a lot of competitors this month, and it was truly a feat to be listed here.

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Gary Balentine          60
    Roger Maynard           60
3.  Mark Calandra           58
4.  Tom Mascioli            55
5.  Bryan McCready          53
6.  Ryan Angus              50
    David Zetterman         50
8.  Jonathan Braniff        40
9.  Kevin Belobala          37
10. Pete Hibbard            35[/font]

It begins anew, with the first trivia month of the 2007 year. Have fun!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK THIRTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST01/13/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The first goaltender to be named most valuable player of the National Hockey League, this player's career ended suddenly due to a severe hernia. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who began his American Hockey League career this season by recording shutouts in his first two league games.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This long-time National Hockey League goaltender recently earned a degree in horse dentistry. Name him.

year11week13.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Well, I thought last week's questions were hard. Evidently, some of you felt differently. :)

Kudos in particular to Tom Mascioli, whose answers are often more thorough than mine. I was very excited when the answer to this week's three-point question recorded another shutout (in the ECHL) on Monday, and I was hoping no one would notice so that I could surprise y'all. Tom - as always - noticed!

Congratulations to the goaltenders named to the NHL All-Star Game this week - Ryan Miller, Martin Brodeur, Cristobal Huet, Roberto Luongo, Miikka Kiprusoff and Marty Turco. The goaltenders for the NHL YoungStars game will be Kari Lehtonen and Peter Budaj.

There were some problems with the image link in last week's mailing for some of you - evidently some servers chopped off the ".jpg" extension. If that ever occurs, take a stroll on over to the main site and it should be okay there.

Let's get to the answers for last week.

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.13:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The first goaltender to be named most valuable player of the National Hockey League, this player's career ended suddenly due to a severe hernia. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Five-foot-three Roy "Shrimp" Worters captured the Hart Trophy in 1928-29 after guiding the offense-challenged New York Americans to the playoffs with thirteen shutouts. Worters was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1969, twelve years after his death.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltender who began his American Hockey League career this season by recording shutouts in his first two league games.
CORRECT ANSWER: Recalled to the Iowa Stars, Steve Silverthorn blanked Hamilton (32 saves) and Toronto (24) on January 5th and 6th of this year. Loaned back to the ECHL, Silverthorn then shut out Phoenix on January 8th! His AHL streak ended on January 12th in a 3-1 loss to Houston.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: This long-time National Hockey League goaltender recently earned a degree in horse dentistry. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: While with the WCHL Idaho Steelheads in the late 1990s, head coach Clint Malarchukwas also enrolled at the Academy of Equine Dentistry.

year11week13.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Charlie Hodge, the new starting goaltender for the Montreal Canadiens at the time. Hodge won the Vezina Trophy over the course of this season.

Nine co-leaders to begin the month of January. But it's not a sprint; it's a marathon. Okay, maybe it's not a marathon. How about a 10k?

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]JANUARY 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1.  Gary Balentine          15
    Kevin Belobaba          15
    Dave White              15
10. Kevin Cameron           12[/font]

And here they are, in all of their glory - Week 14's questions!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK FOURTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/20/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this goaltender became the first player born and developed in Japan to appear in the National Hockey League. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This netminder was the only Calder Trophy winner in National Hockey League history not to play a single NHL game in the following season. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Prior to the 1984 Winter Olympic games in Sarajevo, this goaltender was a major figure in an eligibility scandal. Name him.

year11week14.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
We're having yet another snowstorm here in Denver, which is interfering with my ability to get the trivia done this week. So I'll keep this really short...let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.14:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Recently, this goaltender became the first player born and developed in Japan to appear in the National Hockey League. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: On January 13, Yutaka Fukufuji replaced Los Angeles starter Barry Brust in Los Angeles' game against the St. Louis Blues. Fukufuji earned the loss after allowing a Dennis Wideman goal on five shots. As of this writing, he is still with the team.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This netminder was the only Calder Trophy winner in National Hockey League history not to play a single NHL game in the following season. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Here's how competitive things were for goaltenders in the 1950s. After winning the 1953 Calder Trophy, future Hall-of-Famer Gump Worsley asked for a $500 raise from the New York Rangers. So the Rangers went out and replaced him with Johnny Bower, also a future Hall-of-Famer.

Note that I worded this question very carefully, and that Andrew Raycroft is not a correct answer. Since there was no NHL season in 2004-05, Raycroft didn't not play in it. There's your daily double negative as well!

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Prior to the 1984 Winter Olympic games in Sarajevo, this goaltender was a major figure in an eligibility scandal. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: The eligibility of Canadian starting goaltender Mario Gosselin was called into question by both the United States and Finland, claiming that Gosselin (and three others) should be ineligible due to their having signed NHL contracts prior to the Games. Gosselin was ruled eligible, although others (most prominently Italy's Jim Corsi) were kept out due to their past major league experience. The rule was changed in time for the 1988 Winter Games, paving the way for Sean Burke and others to appear.

year11week14.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: One of the underrated netminders of the 1980s, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever get to meet, this is Glen Hanlon. During his time with the New York Rangers, he formed a very effective tandem with John Vanbiesbrouck.

Seven co-leaders at this point in the game!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1. Kevin Belobaba          30
   Mark Benvenga           30
   Mark Calandra           30
   Dave White              30
8. Gary Balentine          27
9. Maxime Deslippes        25
   Pete Hibbard            25[/font]

Some interesting ones this week, or at least I think so. Shrug.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK FIFTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 01/27/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On Saturday, this goaltender played for his eighth National Hockey League franchise, tying a league mark for goaltenders. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983, this man was hired as the first full-time National Hockey League goaltending coach. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Because he had not received his full share of complimentary game tickets, this Ottawa netminder began what may have been professional hockey's first strike. Name him.

year11week15.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
The Goaltender Home Page today bids farewell to Hall-of-Fame goaltender Lorne "Gump" Worsley, who passed away at his home in Beloeil, Quebec last night.

The 77-year-old Worsley, who suffered a heart attack on Monday, led his hometown Canadiens to four Stanley Cup victories in five years and was best known as one of the true characters of the game. Worsley was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1980.

Happy trails, Gump!

Well, my intent last week with the five-pointer was to separate the leaderboard a bit. Unfortunately, that only works if some of the contestants get the answer correct! Easily my toughest question of the season. But let's get to the answers...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.15:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On Saturday, this goaltender played for his eighth National Hockey League franchise, tying a league mark for goaltenders. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Sean Burke, who was claimed off waivers by Los Angeles due to a combination of injuries and inexperience in the Kings' net. Perhaps desiring to fit in with his new teammates, Burke was forced out of his first game due to dehydration.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983, this man was hired as the first full-time National Hockey League goaltending coach. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Warren Strelow, who may be best known for his role as goaltending coach of the 1980 United States Olympic Team, was hired by the Washington Capitals to mind their netminders. He is currently in the same position with the San Jose Sharks, a role he has filled for the past ten seasons.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Because he had not received his full share of complimentary game tickets, this Ottawa netminder began what may have been professional hockey's first strike. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: One of the flakiest goaltenders in hockey's formative era, Fred Chittick staged his strike in mid-February 1898, forcing the Ottawa Hockey Club to go with backup Alex Cope in their 9-5 loss to the Montreal Victorias. Chittick returned to the club, but was eventually replaced by the much-better (and much more normal) Bouse Hutton.

year11week15.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The last World Hockey Association goaltender to appear in an NHL game, Mike Liut is shown here practicing his trade with the St. Louis Blues in the early 1980s. Liut's biggest accomplishment may have been in narrowly defeating Wayne Gretzky for the 1980-81 Lester Pearson Award.

We're down to six this week, which could make for a crowded podium at this point next week. Kudos!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Kevin Belobaba          40
    Mark Calandra           40
    Tom Mascioli            40
    Roger Maynard           40
    Bryan McCready          40
    Dave White              40
7.  Gary Balentine          37
8.  Pete Hibbard            35
9.  Mark Benvenga           30
10. Maxime Deslippes        27[/font]

Well, I tried to make a few tricky ones this week to settle the tie. Good luck to you all!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK SIXTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 02/03/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Towards the end of his tenure with the New York Rangers, a reporter asked Gump Worsley which National Hockey League team gave him the most trouble. According to Worsley, which team was toughest on him?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: What was unusual about the sweater numbers worn by the goaltenders during the 2006-07 National Hockey League All-Star Game?

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1949-50 season, Toronto general manager Conn Smythe suspended overweight goaltender Turk Broda (among others) until he trimmed down. What maximum weight (in pounds) did Smythe require for Broda in order for him to return to the Maple Leaf net?

year11week16.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Well, none of the leaders stumbled over the final week, and so for the first time in the history of Goaltender Trivia we have a six-way tie!

Not that I didn't try - the five-pointer last week was a beast. I had strongly considered asking the three-point question that Tom Mascioli answered this week (when was the last time two goaltenders wore the same number in the All-Star Game?), but decided against it because it would be too hard.

So here they all are - the January goaltender trivia champions (in alphabetical order): Kevin Belobala, Mark Calandra, Tom Mascioli, Roger Maynard, Bryan McCready and Dave White. Congratulations to all!

Let's get to the answers...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.16:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Towards the end of his tenure with the New York Rangers, a reporter asked Gump Worsley which National Hockey League team gave him the most trouble. According to Worsley, which team was toughest on him?
CORRECT ANSWER: His own team, the Rangers! Gump was always good for a quote.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: What was unusual about the sweater numbers worn by the goaltenders during the 2006-07 National Hockey League All-Star Game?
CORRECT ANSWER: Both Ryan Miller and Martin Brodeur wore the same number (30) for the Eastern Conference. Tom Mascioli correctly points out that this hasn't happened since Gump Worsley and Johnny Bower both wore #1 in the 1961 All-Star Game.

I believe that this happened because, once Miller won the fan voting, his sweater #30 was being sold on NHL websites without any consideration of what would happen if Brodeur (who has seniority) were chosen to be on the squad. So they avoided the issue entirely!

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: During the 1949-50 season, Toronto general manager Conn Smythe suspended overweight goaltender Turk Broda (among others) until he trimmed down. What maximum weight (in pounds) did Smythe require for Broda in order for him to return to the Maple Leaf net?
CORRECT ANSWER: 190 lbs (although some sources state that he had to be one pound less than that). Regardless, he got to 189 lbs and returned after missing one game.

year11week16.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Don Beaupre, whose rookie NHL season resulted in a trip to the 1981 Stanley Cup Finals. I don't know if this is a record or not (I believe that it is), but Beaupre lost the final 27 decisions of his big-league career.

Here are the final results for January! Congratulations to all!

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Kevin Belobaba          55
    Mark Calandra           55
    Tom Mascioli            55
    Roger Maynard           55
    Bryan McCready          55
    Dave White              55
7.  Gary Balentine          52
8.  Pete Hibbard            50
9.  Maxime Deslippes        39
10. Kevin Cameron           34[/font]

Now, some grave news. Goaltender Trivia will be on a one-month sabbatical. As is often the case in life, my number one priority in my life right now is my job. If you know anything about the actuarial profession, you'll know about the examination process.

Well, my next exam is on the 28th of this month. If I don't pass it, there will be much shame.

So until then, my life will basically be 60-hour billable work weeks and studying as much as I can in the interim.

Now the good news - trivia *will* return in March, and will continue through April. If I have enough stamina at that point, maybe even May.

In the meantime, I hope that all is well with you and yours! And I apologize for the inconvenience. :)

Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
We're back! My actuarial examination is now complete, and I'm very glad that I put the effort into studying that I did. To answer the obvious first question, I won't know for a few weeks whether or not I passed. My guess is that results will be released in mid-April, Friday the 13th to be exact (how cool is that?)

Here is the best way I can explain the actuarial exam process. Do you remember that super-smart kid in high school, who didn't have to study at all, and she still got A's on everything, ruining the curve for everyone else? Picture a room filled with those people. And they've each studied several hundred hours for the exam (400 hours is the suggested amount per exam). And more than half still fail!

So if you're lamenting the fact that there aren't more actuaries, that's why.

What a month it's been where we haven't talked! So many things going on - some netminder movement at the trade deadline (although not too much). The biggest thing may have been Ray Emery's back-to-back fights with Martin Biron and Andrew Peters on February 22.

Emery received a total of twenty-two penalty minutes on the play (including two fighting majors!) but what I'll remember most about the incident was the grin on his face the entire time.

Regarding the Goaltender page, my short-term plans are to get caught up with the NHL and AHL game logs - right now, I'm about one month behind schedule. These things are relatively simple to keep up with if you stay on top of it, but you can imagine the pain involved in catching up.

Long-term, I'd like to add to the trivial lists on the site - things like a list of every goaltender who wore each sweater number, goaltenders who catch right-handed, lists of first games, starts, wins and shutouts for National Hockey League goaltenders. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

SPECIAL TRIVIA CHALLENGE!
Bryan McCready and I have been working on finding National Hockey League goaltenders who have worn three different masks in the same season. Bryan has mentioned two from this year - Hannu Toivonen and Cam Ward.

If you know of any, please let me know and I'll start working on a list. For now, let's not include those who did so as a result of midseason trade (e.g. Patrick Roy). Photo documentation would be most appreciated.

Let's start up the March trivia! I'm particularly proud of the five-pointer this week, as it's something I didn't know until I was poking around on the Internet the afternoon following my exam.

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK SEVENTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 03/
10/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With twelve shutouts in his first 62 games of 2006-07, Martin Brodeur has a reasonable chance to break the "modern" record for regular-season shutouts in National Hockey League history. What is the record, and who currently holds it?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltenders involved the last time two rookie (Calder Trophy-eligible) netminders were their team's number one goaltenders in the Stanley Cup Finals.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In an intrasquad exhibition prior to the 1987 Canada Cup, Canadian sharpshooter Sylvain Turgeon had his arm broken by one of the netminders and was unable to appear in the tournament. Name the goaltender involved in the incident.

year11week17.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Some new ground has been broken on last week's question of goaltender who have worn three separate masks in one season, Pete Hibbard has found two - Tim Thomas this season, and Marty Turco last year. Turco wore four!

I'm working on verifying these two as we speak. Well, not as we speak because we're not actually speaking. And I'm typing, not speaking. You get the idea.

Pete also brings up an interesting player on the opposite end of the spectrum - Martin Brodeur, who has worn the same mask design since 1993-94. Can anyone top that?

Let's get to the answers!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.17:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: With twelve shutouts in his first 62 games of 2006-07, Martin Brodeur has a reasonable chance to break the "modern" record for regular-season shutouts in National Hockey League history. What is the record, and who currently holds it?
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1969-70, Chicago goaltender Tony Esposito recorded an impressive fifteen shutouts in his first full National Hockey League campaign. "Tony O" went on to notch 76 whitewashings over his career.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the goaltenders involved the last time two rookie (Calder Trophy-eligible) netminders were their team's number one goaltenders in the Stanley Cup Finals.
CORRECT ANSWER: In 1986, Montreal defeated Calgary in five games to capture the Stanley Cup, with twenty-year-old Patrick Roy outduelling 23-year-old Mike Vernon. (Regarding the question, Vernon was eligible for the Calder in both this season and the following season).

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In an intrasquad exhibition prior to the 1987 Canada Cup, Canadian sharpshooter Sylvain Turgeon had his arm broken by one of the netminders and was unable to appear in the tournament. Name the goaltender involved in the incident.
CORRECT ANSWER: Ron Hextall, the fiery Philadelphia goaltender fresh from his Conn Smythe Trophy that spring.

year11week17.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: The St. Louis Blues currently have an impressive stable of young goaltending talent. These are two of them, Chris Beckford-Tseu and Jason Bacashihua.

It looks as though everyone is rested from a month off, as eight co-leaders scored perfect weeks this past week. Congratulations!

Code:
[font=courier new]
[B]MARCH 2007 LEADER BOARD:[/B]
1. Kevin Belobaba          15
   Kevin Cameron           15
   Dave White              15
9. Gary Balentine          10
   Mark Calandra           10
   Jason Kurylo            10
   Eric Pye                10[/font]

Some neat questions this week (in my opinion of course). Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK EIGHTEEN (Answers due 10pm MST 03/17/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The number "00" is currently forbidden to be worn in National Hockey League play; Martin Biron was the last to do so. Name the only other player to wear this number in NHL action.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Upset at the practice tactics of head coach Claude Ruel, this star goaltender walked out of practice and never played for his National Hockey League club again. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: For nearly twenty-six years, this goaltender held the record for being the oldest player to appear in a National Hockey League game. Name him.

year11week18.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Another fun week! Still hoping that the Avalanche can somehow get into the playoffs. I'm still not optimistic, but...

I'm still behind in getting the goaltender game logs caught up on the site - fortunately, two of my rec-leagues teams were involved in double-elimination playoffs, which meant one or two games on each night of the week. It's the Winter 2007 diet program!

Bryan McCready sent me a great batch of goaltender "lists" which will give me a tremendous headstart this spring when I get cracking on my project. I'm very excited - thanks, Bryan!

Congratulations to John Curry (Boston University), David Brown (Notre Dame) and Bobby Goepfert (St. Cloud State University), all finalists for the 2007 Hobey Baker Memorial Award announced this week. Brown and Goepfert's rights are both held by the Pittsburgh Penguins, while Curry is a free-agent-to-be.

Cristobal Huet has started practicing with the Montreal Canadiens, who are presently fighting for their playoff lives. Huet's hamstring injury was initially supposed to finish him for the rest of the regular season, but he may return in time to bolster the Habs' chances.

Let's go ahead and get to the answers...I've heard a neat story about why Davidson wore #00 for the Rangers, but I can't remember it as well as I need in order to relate it, so I will not (and my powerful Google skills are eluding me at the moment). If anyone knows the story, please remind me!

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.18:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: The number "00" is currently forbidden to be worn in National Hockey League play; Martin Biron was the last to do so. Name the only other player to wear this number in NHL action.
CORRECT ANSWER: John Davidson, the current president of the St. Louis Blues, who wore the number for one season with the New York Rangers in the late 1970s.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Upset at the practice tactics of head coach Claude Ruel, this star goaltender walked out of practice and never played for his National Hockey League club again. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Gump Worsley, who was never a big fan of practices in the first place, and Ruel's tough skates in particular. Worsley exeperienced a second life when the Habs sold him off to the Minnesota North Stars.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: For nearly twenty-six years, this goaltender held the record for being the oldest player to appear in a National Hockey League game. Name him.
CORRECT ANSWER: Nearly forty-six years old at the time, assistant trainer Moe Roberts filled in for an injured Harry Lumley for the final period of Chicago's game against Detroit. The record was broken when Gordie Howe's Hartford Whalers were brought into the National Hockey League, and will be broken again soon if Chris Chelios has his way.

year11week18.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: Martins Raitums, the Latvian netminder who replaced Sergei Naumovs in the team's 11-0 defeat to Canada at the 2006 IIHF World Championships (held in Latvia). You may recognize Brendan Shanahan as the other man in the photograph. Then again, you may not.

Shallow week in terms of "perfect" answer sheets, and our tie at the top is now reduced to five competitors. How many will make it through the final two weeks of March unscathed?

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Pete Hibbard            30
    Dave White              30
6.  Kevin Cameron           22
7.  Kevin Belobaba          20
    Mark Calandra           20
9.  Mark Benvenga           15
10. Tom Kramer              12[/font]

I got a chance to use one of my favourite photos in this week's trivia challenge. Enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK NINETEEN (Answers due 10pm MST03/24/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mike Modano recently became the goal-scoring leader among American-born National Hockey League players. Who allowed the record-breaking goal?

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first team to win the Stanley Cup using three goaltenders in the same playoff year.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983, Wayne Gretzky became the first player in more than sixty years to record two four-goal games in a single Stanley Cup playoff. Name the goaltenders who were victimized.

year11week19.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
PHP:
Another fun and busy week for yours truly, who stepped off of the plane from New Orleans just in time to attend the NCAA West Regionals yesterday at the Pepsi Center. After nearly witnesssing an upset of monumental proportions (Minnesota scored thrice in the third period to defeat Air Force, 4-3), I saw one of the sloppiest games I've ever seen between Michigan and North Dakota.

I'm headed back for the championship game today, so let's get this underway...

Before we continue with last week's answers, I will be offline this coming weekend, so I'm releasing two sets of goaltender trivia this week. Both are due April 7. The first counts for March, and the second comes for April. Good luck and enjoy!

Okay, let's see the answers to last week - I honestly didn't think that the three-point question would prove to be so tricky, but it snagged more than a few of our leaders. Let's see what happened...

ANSWERS TO GOALTENDER TRIVIA #11.19:

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Mike Modano recently became the goal-scoring leader among American-born National Hockey League players. Who allowed the record-breaking goal?
CORRECT ANSWER: On March 17, Modano passed Joe Mullen with his 503rd career league goal, a power-play goal at 17:08 of the third period, scored on Nashville netminder Tomas Vokoun. It was Modano's second goal of the evening - fortunately for the Predators, he was the only Dallas goal-scorer as Nashville held on for a 3-2 win.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: Name the first team to win the Stanley Cup using three goaltenders in the same playoff year.
CORRECT ANSWER: Undoubtedly, you will remember this one as soon as I describe it. In 1928, Lorne Chabot was tending goal for the New York Rangers when, on April 7, he fell to injury. Into the Ranger net came coach Lester Patrick, who completed the 2-1 victory over the Maroons. Joe Miller finished the postseason for the Cup-winning Rangers.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In 1983, Wayne Gretzky became the first player in more than sixty years to record two four-goal games in a single Stanley Cup playoff. Name the goaltenders who were victimized.
CORRECT ANSWER: Brian Hayward of the Winnipeg Jets, and Rejean Lemelin of the Calgary Flames. Gretzky was finally stopped in their Cup quest in the Finals by the New York Islanders and Billy Smith.

year11week19.jpg

CORRECT ANSWER: On April 4, 1998, Dan Cloutier and Tommy Salo squared off in a crosstown goaltender fight between the Rangers and Islanders. This was Cloutier's ninth career league game, and although he won the fight handily, the game itself was a 3-0 Islander win. Wade Flaherty shared the shutout with Salo, while Mike Richter replaced Cloutier in the Ranger net.

Thanks to the (non-intentionally) tricky three-point question, it has been reduced to a two-person perch at the top of the leader board. However, there are a large number of solid competitors just a few points off of the pace. Will Roger or Bryan split the March title? Will one of them stumble? Will someone overtake them?

Code:
[font=courier new]
1.  Roger Maynard           45
3.  Pete Hibbard            42
    Tom Mascioli            42
    Dave White              42
6.  Mark Calandra           32
7.  Kevin Cameron           29
8.  Kevin Belobaba          27
9.  Simon Jean              18
10. Mark Benvenga           15[/font]

Just to repeat this, since some of you might skip the introductory paragraphs...I will be offline this coming weekend, so I'm releasing two sets of goaltender trivia this week. Both are due April 7. The first counts for March, and the second comes for April. Good luck and enjoy!

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/07/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: On consecutive nights, these two goaltenders became the first, and second, female goaltenders to start and win a North American professional hockey game. Name them.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: In the National Hockey League trade involving the greatest number of active players (not including draft choices), name the goaltenders involved.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: In the now classic Boston/Montreal semifinal series of 1979, name the goaltender who was selected the number-one star of the game in three of the contests.

year11week20.jpg

GOALTENDER TRIVIA YEAR ELEVEN WEEK TWENTY-ONE (Answers due 10pm MDT 04/07/07):

TWO-POINT QUESTION: Although his team would win go on to win the series, this rookie goaltender was in net when Bobby Orr recorded the first playoff hat trick by a defenseman. Name him.

THREE-POINT QUESTION: This goaltender's 1986 goal also tied his league's career record for points by a goaltender. Name him.

FIVE-POINT QUESTION: Before it was retired in honour of the great Rogatien Vachon, name the last Los Angeles King goaltender to wear sweater number thirty.

year11week21.jpg

Good luck!
Doug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->