2006-07 Canadian WJC Team

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
ktownhockey said:
Here is my team as of today... alot of things change obviously....

1st Line:
Toews--Downie--Cogliano
2nd Line
Latendresse--Brassard--Little
Checking/Shutdown Line
Bertram-- O'Marra -- Pyatt
4th Line
Kendal McArdle -- Jordan Staal-- Brandon Sutter (surprise pick but I have a hunch, this kid is good)
EX - John Tavares

Last Cuts - Devin Setogucchi (weird feeling about him.. should be there but I think something will go wrong) Ryan White, Dan Ryder, Angelo Esposito
NHL* - Sidney Crosby, Gilbert Brule

D Pairings
Kris Letang -- Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent - Kris Russell
Patrick McNeil -- Cody Franson
7th D Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Last Cuts - Ty Wishart, Brendan Mikkelson, Ben Shutron

NHL* - Marc Staal

Goalies:
Carey Price
Jonathon Bernier

last cut - J.P Levasseur

Captain - Ryan O'Marra
Alternates - Bourdon, Parent, Downie (hockey canada loves him)

This team looks like it could easily bring a 3 PEAT home for Canada... Awesome depth on forward... any line can score even the shut down line that we like to have each year. Some tough cut especially on forward. Tavares can step in on any line if someone is hurt or playing badly... the kid will score too... Should be an interesting next 7 months... I really like this team though...

I don't think that you are that far off. Personally, I don't think Sutter has much of a shot.......otherwise his father would be coaching the team.

I think Devin will make the team this time. Also, I'd put Esposito in there as the extra forward over Tavares. Mikkelson should get in (IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY), possibly over either Vlasic or Macneil.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
76over39 said:
If Mikkelson can stay healthy, he should be there.

I love Mikkelson for this team but my list is purely a prognostication... talent wise he could be there.... but I just have a feeling him and Seto won't be there... People under estimate Patrick McNeil....

for the 83 bdays for example... two years before their tournament everyone thought Doug Lynch (just an example) would be there for sure, I remember being on this site back then under a different name...... surprises can happen... not saying Mikkelson is Lynch im just saying injuries and the strong play of Patrick Mcneil will take over Mikkelsons spot this year.... just my opinion...

When Tavares has 30-35 goals by this point there will be no way you can keep him off this team....

Espo... meh.. I think he's awesome but I think we have a guy like him in Cogliano (offense generated by speed).... remember Espo still has two years to crack the squad after this year.... I wouldn't be mad if he made it....

As for Sutter... the kid had over 20 goals last year and seems to be developing extremely well... Seems like a player who can adapt to any style of play and thats the new philosophy with the world junior program... one dimensional guys who aren't on the first line are a thing of the past.... anyways LETS GO CANADA!!!! :clap:

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Ti-girl said:
I still say that Helm makes the team, either as a centre or as a forward.

He is too much of a talent to be left off.

Is he your brother or something? You've mentioned him three times.

It's up to Hockey Canada. If he gets invited to the camp this summer, then he has a chance. Otherwise, he prob. won't be there.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
No he's not.

He's just one of the few talents of the WHL that has been ignored.

Plus I'm a Tigers fan. Russell is pretty much a shoe in for the team, while Helm keeps flying under the radar.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
I love Mikkelson for this team but my list is purely a prognostication... talent wise he could be there.... but I just have a feeling him and Seto won't be there... People under estimate Patrick McNeil....

for the 83 bdays for example... two years before their tournament everyone thought Doug Lynch (just an example) would be there for sure, I remember being on this site back then under a different name...... surprises can happen... not saying Mikkelson is Lynch im just saying injuries and the strong play of Patrick Mcneil will take over Mikkelsons spot this year.... just my opinion...

When Tavares has 30-35 goals by this point there will be no way you can keep him off this team....

Espo... meh.. I think he's awesome but I think we have a guy like him in Cogliano (offense generated by speed).... remember Espo still has two years to crack the squad after this year.... I wouldn't be mad if he made it....

As for Sutter... the kid had over 20 goals last year and seems to be developing extremely well... Seems like a player who can adapt to any style of play and thats the new philosophy with the world junior program... one dimensional guys who aren't on the first line are a thing of the past.... anyways LETS GO CANADA!!!! :clap:

I would not take Sutter yet and I don't believe he will receive an invite, let alone make the team come December. He played at the just completed U18 IIHF as an underage and although he played well, he definitely didn't dominate. Let him play this summer at the U18 Junior World Cup and then go from there.

At this point I would no doubt take any one of Cody Bass, Cal Clutterbuck, Richard Clune or even, Adam Hobson over the young Sutter. All of these guys are energy type players, who can hit, skate and have fairly good offensive skill.

Btw, Setoguchi will be on this team in Sweden come December. He should have a great year in Saskatoon and Canada can use his speed, power, shot and scoring ability.

Last edited:

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Looking at last year's invites to summer camp. Dustin Kohn-D should get invited again. He's one of the fastest D as proven at 2005 Prospects invite, best time. Before he got traded from Calgary to Brandon he was on the #1 power play line. I'd take him over Mikkelson, Wishart, Shutron without a second thought.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
domefan said:
Looking at last year's invites to summer camp. Dustin Kohn-D should get invited again. He's one of the fastest D as proven at 2005 Prospects invite, best time. Before he got traded from Calgary to Brandon he was on the #1 power play line. I'd take him over Mikkelson, Wishart, Shutron without a second thought.
Kohn completely turned around our PP in Brandon after he was traded here. He's a huge offensive threat 5 on 5 as well, and a fast enough skater to get back to D if he's caught up ice. I rate him as better than average in his own end and exceptional on the rush, so he is definitley worth a look. He should put up some big numbers this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->