2006-07 Canadian WJC Team

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
I was just thinking out loud, pondering upon who might make the team. Any thoughts?

By my estimate, there are six forwards eligible to return, and five defence. Everybody else is a bit of a toss-up, I reckon:

Jonathan Toews Derrick Brassard Steve Downie
Daniel Bertram Andrew Cogliano Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O’Marra Jordan Staal Chris Stewart
Ryan White Tom Pyatt Angelo Esposito
Brandon Sutter

Marc Staal Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent Kris Russell
Kristopher Letang Ben Shutron
Ty Wishart

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
badrobot101 said:
I was just thinking out loud, pondering upon who might make the team. Any thoughts?

By my estimate, there are six forwards eligible to return, and five defence. Everybody else is a bit of a toss-up, I reckon:

Brandon Sutter

Marc Staal Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent Kris Russell
Ty Wishart

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier
I'm assuming that's just a depth chart? because I'm pretty Staal-Parent, and Bourdon-Letang would play together.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
-31- said:
I'm assuming that's just a depth chart? because I'm pretty Staal-Parent, and Bourdon-Letang would play together.

Yeah, call it a depth chart if you like. I'm just thinking out loud about who might make the team, and am interested in any additions/subtractions.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
oops

I forgot to add Gilbert Brule. There's a strong chance he'll be with Columbus next year, but I should have included him anyway.

I'd say there's also a strong chance Marc Staal will be with the Rangers next year.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Reasonable List....

badrobot101 said:

Brandon Sutter

Marc Staal Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent Kris Russell
Ty Wishart

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier

If you're going by who is likely to be there, this is a pretty good initial guess. Only forward I can see making their NHL team is Latendresse, as the Habs do need a bit of size up front. Depends on his pre-season and what improvements he can make to his skating. Brule, he'll be on the Jackets this coming season.

Defense, Parent, Russell, Letang will all be back. Preds are just too stacked on the blueline for a 19 year old Parent to crack the lineup.

Bourdon and Staal could make their NHL clubs only because both the Rangers and Canucks have openings and are no where near as deep as the Preds are on the backend.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Is Carey Price really a lock to make this team? Any other options in nets besides he and Bernier?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have to agree that Franson and Vlasic are very strong possibilities to make the team. Neither Nashville nor San Jose have openings for them to make the NHL, and both of them had great seasons and very solid Mem cups.

Setoguchi should also make a serious run with a very fine season this year. Of course, that doesn't include the possiblity that he shines at Sharks camp and makes the team (which I would say is doubtful, but it wouldn't shock me if it did happen.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
badrobot101 said:
Yeah, call it a depth chart if you like. I'm just thinking out loud about who might make the team, and am interested in any additions/subtractions.

I think realistically you can expect to see Setoguchi and Little on Team Canada for sure.

John Tavares should have a pretty good chance if he keeps lighting it up in the OHL.

Guys like Hamill, Sheppard, McArdle, Ryder, Stewart and Giroux up front should all get a real good look and on the backend guys like, Mikkelson, Franson, Vlasic, Gragnani, Jackson, and McNeill.

Leland Irving will also get a look in net. Levasseur may also get an invite.

A few personal favourites like Bass, Clune and Clutterbuck should get invites this summer and I hope have a chance in December.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Thanks for the input, all. Should be a fairly deep team, and the question is: who gets left behind? Since they usually go with 19-yr olds, or players with WJC experience, I have highlighted those (including Brule et al, although they might be in the NHL next year).

Jonathan Toews/ Derrick Brassard/ Steve Downie
Daniel Bertram/ Andrew Cogliano/ Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O’Marra/ Jordan Staal/ Chris Stewart
Ryan White/ Tom Pyatt/ Angelo Esposito
Brandon Sutter/ Gilbert Brule/ Kendal McArdle
Devin Setoguchi/ Bryan Little/ James Sheppard
Dan Ryder/ John Tavares/ Claude Giroux
Zach Hamill/ Cody Bass/ Cal Clutterbuck
Richard Clune

Marc Staal/ Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent/ Kris Russell
Kristopher Letang/ Ben Shutron
Ty Wishart/ Cody Franson
Marc-Edouard Vlasic/ Brendan Mikkelson
Patrick McNeill/ Marc-Andre Gragnani
Scott Jackson

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier
Leland Irving
Jean-Phillipe Levasseur

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
badrobot101 said:
Thanks for the input, all. Should be a fairly deep team, and the question is: who gets left behind? Since they usually go with 19-yr olds, or players with WJC experience, I have highlighted those (including Brule et al, although they might be in the NHL next year).

Jonathan Toews/ Derrick Brassard/ Steve Downie
Daniel Bertram/ Andrew Cogliano/ Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O’Marra/ Jordan Staal/ Chris Stewart
Ryan White/ Tom Pyatt/ Angelo Esposito
Brandon Sutter/ Gilbert Brule/ Kendal McArdle
Devin Setoguchi/ Bryan Little/ James Sheppard
Dan Ryder/ John Tavares/ Claude Giroux
Zach Hamill/ Cody Bass/ Cal Clutterbuck
Richard Clune

Marc Staal/ Luc Bourdon
Ryan Parent/ Kris Russell
Kristopher Letang/ Ben Shutron
Ty Wishart/ Cody Franson
Marc-Edouard Vlasic/ Brendan Mikkelson
Patrick McNeill/ Marc-Andre Gragnani
Scott Jackson

Carey Price
Jonathan Bernier
Leland Irving
Jean-Phillipe Levasseur

Nice work on listing a potential squad. I'd be suprised if more than two or three of these guys stick with their NHL squad. My feeling is that a few players that were still eligible this past season but didn't play due to being with the NHL club was a result of the lockout. Teams were still trying to get used to the new concept of the salary cap and were more inclined to have a cheaper, junior age player on the roster than a higher priced veteran. Now that all the teams have had a chance to adjust to the new world of a cap, teams might be less inclined in 06/07 to bring up a younger guy. Regardless, that's a pretty good pool of players to choose from and I hope for another gold since I've already booked my package to go to Sweden and cheer Canada on.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
jtuzzi said:
there is a very, very slim chance Cody Franson does not make this squad.

What role would you expect him to play for Team Canada? Stylewise, he seems like he could be an interesting player to pair with Parent. But I would imagine Parent figures into a big minute role with Team Canada, and I have no idea if Franson is good enough to play those minutes alongside him.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Setoguchi-Colgilano-Bourret
Toews-Staal-Downie
Little-Brassard-O'Marra
Sheppard-Staal-McCardle
Latendresse, Pyatt

Bourdon-Letang
Staal-Parent
Russel-Franson
Mikkelson, Ryan