2005 World Championships in Austria: Best v.s Best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If the entire NHL season is locked out that would mean that the best players in the world would be available to play in April/May 2005. Finally, this tournament would be a true World Championships.

Consider it the European hosted World Cup of Hockey. :)

Kravitch

HOLY TOLEDO! I was thinking about starting a thread just like this!!!

Anyway, it would be great if this will happen but with players playing in leagues that are scattered across the winds, it's hard to see if the certain leagues the players are in will allow them to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I'm wondering if the players would refuse to play because of no CBA with the NHL? Does the CBA affect players insurance?

Maybe only those players who choose to play in Europe this season will play in the World Championships?

So Canada could send a "dream team" to the World Championships or it could end up sending its D team. :dunno:

eSabre

Dec 14, 2002
Nashville, TN
3rdmanin.wordpress.com
Rob said:
I'm wondering if the players would refuse to play because of no CBA with the NHL? Does the CBA affect players insurance?

Maybe only those players who choose to play in Europe this season will play in the World Championships?

So Canada could send a "dream team" to the World Championships or it could end up sending its D team. :dunno:
I don't think the NHL would have anything to do with it. The IIHF would have everything covered so they wouldn't miss an opportunity like this, I'm sure.

Jazz

Whoa....guys, hold your horses!

I was thinking about this for many months now, but then I read this:
While many people suggest the entire NHL season will be lost because of labour problems, Rene Fasel (IIHF President) quickly pointed out this is not necessarily a boon for the 2005 World Championship in Vienna. “This past tournament,†he explained of the 2004 championship in the Czech Republic, “we paid $1.5 million for insurance of all players on all teams, and half of that was for just three players—Yashin, Forsberg, and Jagr. Imagine if we had 50 players that expensive in Vienna. We couldn’t afford it.â€
source: iihf.com :teach:

Kravitch said:
....Anyway, it would be great if this will happen but with players playing in leagues that are scattered across the winds, it's hard to see if the certain leagues the players are in will allow them to do so.
Most of the leagues in the World will be done in time for the World Championships...except for the AHL.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I don't know what Fasel is talking about, there have been teams in WCs with more salary than the NY Rangers. Most of the players in top teams are NHL guys anyways, and not exactly cheap ones either.

One thing is for sure though, I already feel bad for Denmark, Austria, etc.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
So we're going to have to defend our title in another best on best tournament in less than a year from now???!!! :eek: I was thinking two years of complacency at least... :) Just kidding! If there is no NHL, that will be awesome. Bring it on!

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
If they couldn't afford the insurance for all the players, how would they decide who gets to play?

Would they have to impose an "insurance cap" on each country?

Evil Homer

Jan 18, 2003
Visit site
aj said:
If they couldn't afford the insurance for all the players, how would they decide who gets to play?

Would they have to impose an "insurance cap" on each country?

That's pretty funny.

But would the players agree to play under those conditions? No cap means no cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad