2005 Top 25 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Hey once the 2004 draft rolls around i see the top 25 prospect list being something like this before the 04/05 season starts.

1. Alexander Ovechkin - The guranteed #1 pick in the 2004 Draft is at the top of the charts. Ovechkin has all the tools to become a superstar. He is as smooth skating as it comes and is very fast, he makes quick and accurate passes. Coming along with this package is a responsible player in the defensive end.

2. Kari Lehtonen - The 2nd player chosen in the 2002 draft is coming along just as planned, he posted solid numbers in his first year in the AHL with a SV% of .926 and a 2.41 GAA. Though he spent the season in the AHL he was called up to Atlanta to play 4 games where he was 4-0-0 and posted a 1.25 GAA and .953 SV%. Look for him to start his season with a bang in the NHL.

3. Evgenii Malkin - Another lock in the 2004 entry draft is Evgenii Malkin for the 2nd overall spot. The 6'3 Russian Native had a great World Junior campaign with 4 assists in 6 games, he looks to become a future franchise centre in Pittsburgh. Malkin has drawn similar comparisons to the former 2nd overall player back in 1992, Alexi Yashin.

4. Nikolai Zherdev - Drafted 4th overall in 2003 to the Columbus Blue Jackets, he has accelerated his development by crossing over to the pond. The flashy 6'0 winger had a great first year for the Jackets notching 13goals, 21 assists for a combined total of 34pts in 57 games. His future looks bright as he could become the best player drafted in 2003.

5. Cameron Barker - The top defenseman in the 2004 draft will surely bring great offensive and defensive skills to whatever team he will be drafted too. Barker improved his total points from 47 in 02/03 to 65 in 03/04.
6. M-A Fleury
7. Dion Phaneuf
8. Thomas Vanek
9. Robbie Schremp
10. Rostislav Olesz
11. Ryan Suter
12. Milan Michalek
13. Ryan Miller
14. Igor Grigorenko
15. Braydon Coburn
16. Zach Parise
17. Jeff Carter
18. Andrei Kastitsyn
19. Alexander Radulov
20. Lauri Tukonen
21. Andrew Ladd
22. Wojtek Wolski
23. Fedor Tjutin
22. Denis Grebeshkov
23. A.J Thelen
24. Drew Stafford
25. Patrick O'Sullivan

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
I still would have Lehtonen #1 over Ovechkin, but that's just a personal preference as I value franchise goalies over franchise forwards.

I think Malkin is too high - I'm thinking somewhere in the 5-10 range behind Fleury and Phaneuf. And I definitely think Barker is way too high. Schremp might have top 10 talent, but his stock has been dropping like a stone, so who knows.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Too many people from this years(04') draft on the list, especially since this is an extremely weak draft after around the top 5. I would also swap Barker and Fleury. There are also alot of people left off, but that is due to you having so many people from this years draft.IMO

Last edited:

bossy22

Mar 14, 2004
Calgary
What exactly is the criteria for HF Prospects?
What is the age limit and the NHL games played limit.

Zherdev has played 57 games in the NHL so shouldn't he be listed under graduated status.

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com
bossy22 said:
What exactly is the criteria for HF Prospects?
What is the age limit and the NHL games played limit.

Zherdev has played 57 games in the NHL so shouldn't he be listed under graduated status.

Roughly, 40 NHL games played in 1 season or 60 in 2 seasons, or 25 years or older.

So yes, Zherdev has graduated. Scratch him off the list.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
#2 said:
Hey once the 2004 draft rolls around i see the top 25 prospect list being something like this before the 04/05 season starts.

1. Alexander Ovechkin - The guranteed #1 pick in the 2004 Draft is at the top of the charts. Ovechkin has all the tools to become a superstar. He is as smooth skating as it comes and is very fast, he makes quick and accurate passes. Coming along with this package is a responsible player in the defensive end.

2. Kari Lehtonen - The 2nd player chosen in the 2002 draft is coming along just as planned, he posted solid numbers in his first year in the AHL with a SV% of .926 and a 2.41 GAA. Though he spent the season in the AHL he was called up to Atlanta to play 4 games where he was 4-0-0 and posted a 1.25 GAA and .953 SV%. Look for him to start his season with a bang in the NHL.

3. Evgenii Malkin - Another lock in the 2004 entry draft is Evgenii Malkin for the 2nd overall spot. The 6'3 Russian Native had a great World Junior campaign with 4 assists in 6 games, he looks to become a future franchise centre in Pittsburgh. Malkin has drawn similar comparisons to the former 2nd overall player back in 1992, Alexi Yashin.

4. Nikolai Zherdev - Drafted 4th overall in 2003 to the Columbus Blue Jackets, he has accelerated his development by crossing over to the pond. The flashy 6'0 winger had a great first year for the Jackets notching 13goals, 21 assists for a combined total of 34pts in 57 games. His future looks bright as he could become the best player drafted in 2003.

5. Cameron Barker - The top defenseman in the 2004 draft will surely bring great offensive and defensive skills to whatever team he will be drafted too. Barker improved his total points from 47 in 02/03 to 65 in 03/04.
6. M-A Fleury
7. Dion Phaneuf
8. Thomas Vanek
9. Robbie Schremp
10. Rostislav Olesz
11. Ryan Suter
12. Milan Michalek
13. Ryan Miller
14. Igor Grigorenko
15. Braydon Coburn
16. Zach Parise
17. Jeff Carter
18. Andrei Kastitsyn
19. Alexander Radulov
20. Lauri Tukonen
21. Andrew Ladd
22. Wojtek Wolski
23. Fedor Tjutin
22. Denis Grebeshkov
23. A.J Thelen
24. Drew Stafford
25. Patrick O'Sullivan

I can't really comment on your list specifically because I haven't seen most of these guys play, but what I'm curious about is why you have so many 2004 draftees on the list. From everything I've read and heard, this draft will be quite weak with little top end talent coming from it. But yet you have 11 of the top 25 players being from that draft.

I mean you've got guys like Wolski, Thelen, Stafford ranked ahead of Anthony Stewart, Dustin Brown, Ryan Getzlaf, Hannu Toivonen, Mike Richards, Alexander Steen, Robert Nilsson, Chris Higgins and quite a few others. I just don't really see that being the case.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
After what Ryan Whitney has done since coming to the WBS Pens, I would say he would be in consideration also. He was the #5 overall in 02' and looks to be a good dman from what he is doing in the AHL playoffs(his first games of his professional career).

leafaholix*

If Alexander Steen plays with Forsberg next season, he's a definate top 25.

HockeyBurd*

Robbie Schremp at 9? :amazed: That's way too high in my opinion. And yet Parise is only at 16. I don't get that. I think you've overestimated alot of guys from this years draft. Interesting list though.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
i wouldn't put malkin above zherdev at this point. zherdev's already shown that he can play in the nhl, and is on his way to becoming a star. for all we know malkin could bust (not likely, but possible).

i would also put fleury above barker. fleury has the makings of a franchise goalie and stood up considerably well (rookie of the month in october) playing on a godawful team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad