2005 NHL poor draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roy G Biv*

Muckler said that the Sens had Lee at #4 overall in the draft... so they were happy with grabbing him.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Hedberg said:
Canuck fans love Bourdon

Some do. Some of us think time will show this to be yet another Canucks draft where they left the best player on the draft board. There's a reason we never have our picks turn into superstars.

I will agree that a whole bunch of folks who didn't like the pick originally now think Bourdon is something special, because he's played in an intersquad game once. :shakehead

Dallas

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Velvet E. Sax said:
Wild taking Matt Kassian in the 2nd

WOW. I didn't realize he got drafted that high. Matt is extremely slow, he doesn't play a very physical game, and he has no offensive potential to speak of. That is a complete waste of a pick.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Av-merican said:
And I guess you gotta give McPhee flack for taking a kid who was ineligible with one of his last picks. :sarcasm:

This pick was actually confirmed this week. A defenseman from Russia named Victor Dovgan. No flack. Just the opposite. McPhee gets a small pewter trophy.

The 2005 draft was whacky. I have a feeling that this draft will be seen as one of the weaker ones. Few stars and a lot of 3rd and 4th liners.

Last edited:

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Montreal - Carey Price - 5th - they probably could have got him a couple more spots down.

we do'nt need gilbert brule, too small , and kopitar was too riske
price was very at the game today , i'm so happy , i think he will be the bes goalie of the chl this years !

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
monster_bertuzzi said:
If thats the case its time they grab a new scouting staff...

yea they draft horrible

i mean who likes:

15 players since 1995 playing this year probably in the NHL... and that doesnt count the past 2-3 years of drafting yet either..

There staff is horrible i mean about only 20 other teams would pick up them off if they were fired ;)

Roy G Biv*

monster_bertuzzi said:
If thats the case its time they grab a new scouting staff...

You know more than the Sens scouting staff? One of the best scouting staffs in the NHL?

X-SHARKIE

Setoguchi has been extremely impressive, some are saying he he could make a case for a contract this year...but with the new rules it's very unlikely....but his play has warrented it.

He has looked even better then when Michalek was 18 in his first camp according to reports.

Pretty impressive for the most puzzling selection.

He has also outperformed Kopitar head to head at rookie tournaments, and now pre-season.

I know it's about projection but still it's very encouraging to see his play.

HughJass*

The draft just happened...what...2 minutes ago...

This qualifies as wierdest thread ever in my book.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Jason MacIsaac said:
Nobody yet....give them more then 2 games to prove you wrong.

That's right...... who knows if Carey Price wasn't going to be taken later? Who knows if any GM wanted to trade up for no.5? Timmins-Savard took the best player available ITO, and it appeared to be Price over Brule.

Professionnal GMs don't all rely on the CSB ranking before going on the stage to select their pick. ;)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
As a Leafs fan, i didnt like our 3rd round pick D Phil Oreskovich. I was hoping JFJ would take Juraj Mikus.

Oreskovich is big and all but im not sold on him.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
MaDdY said:
As a Leafs fan, i didnt like our 3rd round pick D Phil Oreskovich. I was hoping JFJ would take Juraj Mikus.

Oreskovic is a beast. I think that's a great pick.

Setoguchi and Pelech for me.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Some do. Some of us think time will show this to be yet another Canucks draft where they left the best player on the draft board. There's a reason we never have our picks turn into superstars.

I will agree that a whole bunch of folks who didn't like the pick originally now think Bourdon is something special, because he's played in an intersquad game once.

When we made the Bure for Jovo, trade, Bure was by far considered the better player. If both Kopitar and Bourdon become stars, I don't think you can really say we left the best player on the draft board. I have always liked the pick, although prior to our pick, I wanted Kopitar. People think Bourdon is something special because his talents are almost immediately noticeable. But the same can be said about Fedor Fedorov.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I didn't like the Luc Bourdon pick when it was made, but I'm sold now. He's phenomenally skilled, and was skating circles around everyone at Rookie/Prospect camp.

Now, Mason Raymond...the Canucks were short on offense (to put it mildly) heading into the draft. We take a defenceman in the first round (okay, sure, he was BPA), and instead of going after Dan Bertram or Chris Durand who were still on the table we take an overager from Tier II junior. Christ!

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
MaDdY said:

I'm jealous. I love Oreskovic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad