2005 NHL poor draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Since we have a thread the opposite of this i decided to make this thread.

What were some picks in the 2005 draft that appeared to be poor decisions (could have traded down and still got him) or just a bad pick.

some of the players i had in mind were ...

Vancouver Canucks - 51st - Mason Raymond. (we should have chosen a hometown boy in Andrew Kozek who was selected 53rd)

Montreal - Carey Price - 5th - they probably could have got him a couple more spots down.

San Jose - Devon Setoguchi - 8th - Why the hell did they trade up ???

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
Jason MacIsaac said:
Nobody yet....give them more then 2 games to prove you wrong.

ur telling me that all the draft picks appeared to be good.

EDIT: and dont you think that San Jose could have gotten Setoguichi later on ?

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Way too early to tell, but Vancouver Canucks fans I talk to aren't very keen on Luc Bourdon.

Rangers seemed to waste a pick on Dalyn Flatt...he's little more than a goon. Other than that, I felt the Blueshirts had a pretty solid draft.

A lot of pundits say Setoguchi was taken a bit high.

And I guess you gotta give McPhee flack for taking a kid who was ineligible with one of his last picks. :sarcasm:

As much as I thought the Carey Price pick was bad, I've done a complete 180 on it now.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Av-merican said:
Way too early to tell, but Vancouver Canucks fans I talk to aren't very keen on Luc Bourdon.

Rangers seemed to waste a pick on Dalyn Flatt...he's little more than a goon. Other than that, I felt the Blueshirts had a pretty solid draft.

And I guess you gotta give McPhee flack for taking a kid who was ineligible with one of his last picks. :sarcasm:

As much as I thought the Carey Price pick was bad, I've done a complete 180 on it now.
what fans are these?

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
yah im excited about us picking Bourdon ... the only player i would have prefered was Kopitar... but now when i think about it ... Kopitar seems risky .. Bourdon is a more solid pick. And he makes me feel happy about our Defense :D

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I like Bourdon. A good pick for Vancouver. He was probably the best D-man after Jack Johnson. And he went at the right spot.

Ottawa with Brian Lee was a surprising pick.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MaDdY said:
I like Bourdon. A good pick for Vancouver. He was probably the best D-man after Jack Johnson. And he went at the right spot.

Ottawa with Brian Lee was a surprising pick.

Brian Lee is definately better than Luc Bourdon and has more potential. Might not be a safe player, but Lee is incredibly skilled.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Jon Prescription said:
Brian Lee is definately better than Luc Bourdon and has more potential. Might not be a safe player, but Lee is incredibly skilled.

I disagree.

Bourdon had one bad game. I believe it was the All-Star game and he started getting flamed. While Brian Lee is very talented. I think Luc Bourdon is better. He's a fine defenseman.

I didnt say Lee was a bad pick, i just thought he was a surprising pick.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Av-merican said:

He might have been, but he's played very well in the Sharks training camp so far. San Jose has always drafted players (Kipprusoff, Sturm, Hannan, Goc, Cheechoo to name a few) ahead of where the players were "ranked", and it has generally worked for them.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic may not have been the best pick for San Jose, as they are already very deep at defense.

Detriot has a pretty old defense corps and should have drafted more defenseman IMO. They could have used their second round pick on a defenseman rather than Abdelkader.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
Price is a poor example. He was projected to go between 2-5 picks later, there isn't much point to trade down unless you KNOW he is going to be there, which they didn't. Whoever trades up with them almost certainly does so to grab Brule, changing who Columbus takes and quite likely the teams behind them.

Kassian was a great example, an enforcer late in the 2nd round for an organization that needs offensive talent on the wings.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
MaDdY said:
I disagree.

Bourdon had one bad game. I believe it was the All-Star game and he started getting flamed. While Brian Lee is very talented. I think Luc Bourdon is better. He's a fine defenseman.

I didnt say Lee was a bad pick, i just thought he was a surprising pick.

Most people had Lee going from 10-14 and Bourdon around 16 or so. I don't see why it's suprising. Lee is a supremely talented player. Kid even made the USA team over Jack Johnson and played fair in his 4 minutes a night (joke).

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Jon Prescription said:

Why do you say that?

Edit: I realize that Lee might have been "ranked" ahead of Bourdon (although IIRC most rankings had Bourdon as a 10-20 and Lee as a 15-30 pick). But what part of their skillsets makes you say that?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Jon Prescription said:
Most people had Lee going from 10-14 and Bourdon around 16 or so. I don't see why it's suprising. Lee is a supremely talented player. Kid even made the USA team over Jack Johnson and played fair in his 4 minutes a night (joke).

Lee? I hadnt seen him listed 10-14 in any list. I saw him late, late first round and if not then early second. Im serious. His stock sort of increased before the draft but still noone expected him to go that high. I never saw Lee listed 10-14.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
MaDdY said:
Lee? I hadnt seen him listed 10-14 in any list. I saw him late, late first round and if not then early second. Im serious. His stock sort of increased before the draft but still noone expected him to go that high. I never saw Lee listed 10-14.

Yes

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
MaDdY said:

Almost every mock draft I saw before the draft had Lee going before pick #20.

I think Lee has quite a bit more offensive upside than Bourdon.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
MaDdY said:
I never saw Lee listed 10-14.

Well, Bob McKenzie did have him at #14 on his Final Top 30 list, based on a survey he did with scouts from ~10 different NHL teams if I'm not mistaken. So that's one right there.

I wouldn't say Bourdon was expected to go earlier. They were pretty much ranked in a similar range by several scouting services; anywhere from 8 to 15.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
From the WHL, Riley Emmerson (#199, Min) and Brett Sutter (#179, Cal) had no business being drafted. Awful selections.

Kassian is an interesting call. Of the 30 players taken in round 2, on average only 4-8 go on to NHL careers. I'll wager anything Kassian is one of those guys this year. The guy will play in the NHL, but what's an upper-end goon worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->