2005 NHL Draft Late Round Steals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Balej's Dance said:
These lists are populated by players who were hyped to DEATH and somehow end up being steals now after. It sucks having people mention the guys that were heard of nonstop all year(IE Istomin, Korhonen, Davis, Buravchikov, Mikus), then the real GM's and scouts show they weren't what they were advertised as, and as soon as the draft is over they are *great* picks just because you've heard of them before. "and so and so is a steal, cuz how'd he last that long? i never have seen him play but he must be good because..."

Guys like the poster who mentioned Chad Rau are the true steals.

I disagree.

I believe that there are a ton of Euros, like Vladislav Buravchikov, that fell purely due to questions about signabiblity given the new
rules that will be the steals of the draft IF the teams that drafted them can get them signed in the next two years.

The new rules will make some early round Euro picks complete busts and some later round picks great because of the value that the teams get when they get a guy signed that people felt like wouldn't sign.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
gocaps34 said:
Washington's Seventh round choice (209th overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft to choose Russian defenseman Viktor Dovgan. When the Caps announced the Dovgan selection at the draft in Ottawa on July 30, the choice was disqualified because Central Scouting’s information showed that the young blueliner had a Dec. 27, 1987 birthdate and was therefore ineligible for the draft. Players born after Sept. 16, 1987 were not eligible to be selected in the 2005 draft.

Washington’s scouts and scouting staff had information to the contrary, however. Having spoken with the player and his agent prior to the draft, the Capitals believed that Dovgan’s birthdate was Feb. 22, 1987 and that he was in fact eligible to be selected in 2005. Confident that they would be able to prove that Dovgan was old enough to be drafted, the Caps went ahead and made the selection. Initially, the league ruled the pick an “ineligible claim.†Washington then set about the business of making its case for Dovgan to the league.

Nice job copying and pasting off the Caps website. You might want to give some credit and a link where you got that from.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
MS said:
A lot of these European guys will be 'huge steals' in the eyes of fans until June of 2007 when most of them go back into the draft, still unsigned. Outside of stud prospects picked in the first round or two, hardly any Europeans come over to NA until they're 22-23 and are established in their domestic leagues. Under the old system, that was fine ... teams just kept their rights. Under the new system, most of these Euros picked in the mid-late rounds will just end up going back into the draft because they aren't ready to sign and come over yet. And there isn't really any incentive for them to - they'll get the same contract from some team whenever they're ready.

Two points.

First of all there was no need to sign them within two years for the reasons that you stated. They had a place to play and further their development. If they have to be signed earlier now, then they will be. I don't think there's anything preventing them from being signed and then continuing to play in Europe if they don't end up playing in the AHL.

Secondly, the point is THAT THEY WERE SELECTED. If they were going to be picked anyway, then they should've been selected in the appropriate range and not allowed to drop as far as they did. Some teams such as Ottawa ignored the "Europhobia." They've done a great job of drafting Euros in the past, but this year the teams as a whole gift-wrapped a lot of their picks for them. Round after round they must have been shocked to see players still left on the boards
that should've been selected earlier.

Let me give an example of what I see as faulty drafting.

Go to hockeydb.com and look at the draft over the past 10-15 years. The scouts have pretty much nailed the CHL defencemen who look to have NHL potential. They have plenty of exposure and you can analyze them to death. If you don't draft one within the first 60-75 picks, you're unlikely to get an NHLer (I also found it interesting that d-men, unlike forwards, are often not even given the benefit of a cup-of-coffee at the NHL level.)

In a year of Europhobia, take a gamble on the falling Euros beyond the 60-75 range if the alternative choice is a CHL defenceman.

I'll be interested to see in half-a-dozen years how the Euros selected beyond this
range stack up with the CHL d-men taken in this same range.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I liked the pick of Matt Keetley by the Flames, its certainly a homer pick, but I think he has some solid potential, he put up stellar numbers in the 'Dub last year and had an impressive rookie camp from all reports, I think he could surprise in the future.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
scoutman1 said:
I only did from round 7 to 4. These are the guys I think could one day make NHL GMS wonder why they never picked them earlier in the draft. Some have superstar potential, I have put * by their names IMO.

7th round:
*J-P Levasseur Goalie Anahiem
Kyle Lawson - Defense - Carolina
David Kuchejda- Forward- Chicago
Adam Hobson - Forward - Chicago
Brock Bradford- Forward - Boston
Alexander Sundstrom - FOrward - NJ
Sirahhei Kastsitsyn- Forward- Montreal

6th round:
Vladislav Buravchikov - Defense - Buffalo

Round 5:
Stanislav Lascek - Forward - Tampa
Tomas Pospisal - Forward - Atlanta
Nathan Gerbe- Forward - Buffalo
Wacey Rabbit - Forward - Boston
Fredrik Pettersson- Forward - Edmonton
Risto Korhonen- Defense - Carolina

Round 4:
Patrick Davis - Forward - Boston
*Ilya Zubov - Forward - Ottawa
Alexander Vincent - Goalie - Vancouver
Jordan Lavaelle - Forward - Atlanta
*Denis Istomin - Forward- Chicago
Patgrick McNeill- Defense - Washington
Jeremy Duschane - Goalie - Philly
Slava Trukhno - Forward - Edmonton
Patrick Davis was picked by NJ, just a small point. Tomas Popperle I think should be on this list IMO.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
In my sim league I tried to draft sleepers and here is the list with my rounds.
2 M.E. Vlasic SJ
2 Danny Syvret EDM
2 Dan Ryder CGY
3 M.A. Gragnani BUF
3 Blair Jones TB
3 Jared Boll CBJ
4 Jordan Lavallee ATL
4 R. Macias COL
4 Brian Salcido ANA
5 Tomas Popperle CBJ
5 Jeff May DET
5 Brock Bradford BOS