2005 NHL Draft Late Round Steals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
I was wondering if there was anyone taken in rounds 5 through 7 that you think was a good late round find.

Based on potential wise or if you've seen them in a training camp this year and they're looking exceptional, etc.

The Zetterberg / Datsyuk late round surprise types.

Or someone you thought would have been taken higher but fell to the late rounds.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
The 2005-06 season isn't even started yet, so it's pretty tough to figure out which prospects are looking like possible steals.

With that being said, I feel that picks like Risto Korhonen at 159th overall (CAR), Slava Burachikov at 191st overall (BUF), Jean-Phillippe Levasseur at 197th overall (ANA) and Sergei Kostitsyn at 200th overall (MTL) look like very good pick-ups so far into the draft.

Boston had a nice pick-up too with the selection of Brock Bradford at 217th overall.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
Kyle Chipchura said:
The 2005-06 season isn't even started yet, so it's pretty tough to figure out which prospects are looking like possible steals.

With that being said, I feel that picks like Risto Korhonen at 159th overall (CAR), Slava Burachikov at 191st overall (BUF), Jean-Phillippe Levasseur at 197th overall (ANA) and Sergei Kostitsyn at 200th overall (MTL) look like very good pick-ups so far into the draft.

I worded it wrong, more or less which players that people think have high potential and slipped into the late rounds for whichever reason.

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Kyle Chipchura said:

Many NHL teams seemed to over-react with regards to the European players and
transfer agreements with the leagues over there, so I would add guys like:

131. Popperle - Columbus
136. Kudelka - Ottawa
186. Megalinsky - Ottawa
187. Zubarev - Atlanta

to the players mentioned by Kyle C.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i've kind of wondered about ryan russell, drafted by the rangers in the 7th round

he's small, like 5'9, but he scored 32 goals last year for the kootenay ice...anyone have any info on him? is he worth anything as a prospect, or just a good scorer at the junior level?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Kirill Starkov (189, 6th round) is having a great training camp for Columbus and was mentioned in the training camp report yesterday as really impressing the coaching staff. He was the 3rd leading scorer in the inter-quad scrimmages held last week. He could turn out to be a real steal if he keeps developing.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
:leafs

Round 7-228th overall - Chad Rau (C)

' USHL Rookie of the year '. Looks like a fine offensive player.

gocaps8

Jun 19, 2002
Visit site
Viktor Dovgan

Washington's Seventh round choice (209th overall) in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft to choose Russian defenseman Viktor Dovgan. When the Caps announced the Dovgan selection at the draft in Ottawa on July 30, the choice was disqualified because Central Scouting’s information showed that the young blueliner had a Dec. 27, 1987 birthdate and was therefore ineligible for the draft. Players born after Sept. 16, 1987 were not eligible to be selected in the 2005 draft.

Washington’s scouts and scouting staff had information to the contrary, however. Having spoken with the player and his agent prior to the draft, the Capitals believed that Dovgan’s birthdate was Feb. 22, 1987 and that he was in fact eligible to be selected in 2005. Confident that they would be able to prove that Dovgan was old enough to be drafted, the Caps went ahead and made the selection. Initially, the league ruled the pick an “ineligible claim.†Washington then set about the business of making its case for Dovgan to the league.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not as early but the Sens getting Zubov in the 4th round is sick. Seems like the kid has a ton of natural skills, was surprised to see him fall so much, great pick imo.

Sigalet at 100th, Istomin at 117th, Trukhno at 120th, Fenton at 162nd, Fallon at 167th, all come to mind as impressive picks.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Denis Istomin for the Preds.

Someone tell their managers to start drafting Cs. They have no depth at C. Ryan Parent was a surprising pick. They should have gone for a C this year. They have great depth at D and they got a D-man again. Like i know we should go for the BPA and all that crap...but they NEED a C. :eek:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I only did from round 7 to 4. These are the guys I think could one day make NHL GMS wonder why they never picked them earlier in the draft. Some have superstar potential, I have put * by their names IMO.

7th round:
*J-P Levasseur Goalie Anahiem
Kyle Lawson - Defense - Carolina
David Kuchejda- Forward- Chicago
Adam Hobson - Forward - Chicago
Brock Bradford- Forward - Boston
Alexander Sundstrom - FOrward - NJ
Sirahhei Kastsitsyn- Forward- Montreal

6th round:
Vladislav Buravchikov - Defense - Buffalo

Round 5:
Stanislav Lascek - Forward - Tampa
Tomas Pospisal - Forward - Atlanta
Nathan Gerbe- Forward - Buffalo
Wacey Rabbit - Forward - Boston
Fredrik Pettersson- Forward - Edmonton
Risto Korhonen- Defense - Carolina

Round 4:
Patrick Davis - Forward - Boston
*Ilya Zubov - Forward - Ottawa
Alexander Vincent - Goalie - Vancouver
Jordan Lavaelle - Forward - Atlanta
*Denis Istomin - Forward- Chicago
Patgrick McNeill- Defense - Washington
Jeremy Duschane - Goalie - Philly
Slava Trukhno - Forward - Edmonton

Spooky371*

Juraj Mikus in round 4 for Montreal.
Was ranked like 21-22 on european skater.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
MaDdY said:
Denis Istomin for the Preds.

Someone tell their managers to start drafting Cs. They have no depth at C. Ryan Parent was a surprising pick. They should have gone for a C this year. They have great depth at D and they got a D-man again. Like i know we should go for the BPA and all that crap...but they NEED a C. :eek:

He was drafted by the Hawks ;)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
salty justice said:
He was drafted by the Hawks ;)
My bad...I dont know why i wrote Istomin.

I meant Laakso. Teemu Laakso.

Istomin was a good pick too for Hawks. He was cracking first round in some lists.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
scoutman1 said:
Round 5:
Fredrik Pettersson- Forward - Edmonton

He sounded to have been a big surprise at rookie camp, and I'd expect a big year from him this year in the WHL.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Marc-E- said:
And don't forget Keith Yandle in the fourth round.

He was named 1st star today for Moncton. I thought that he could've been a 2nd round pick with his size and potential.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I've been hearing a lot about how Ilya Zubov is a huge steal. Really haven't seen him play or anything, but that's the most noticable for me.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A lot of these European guys will be 'huge steals' in the eyes of fans until June of 2007 when most of them go back into the draft, still unsigned. Outside of stud prospects picked in the first round or two, hardly any Europeans come over to NA until they're 22-23 and are established in their domestic leagues. Under the old system, that was fine ... teams just kept their rights. Under the new system, most of these Euros picked in the mid-late rounds will just end up going back into the draft because they aren't ready to sign and come over yet. And there isn't really any incentive for them to - they'll get the same contract from some team whenever they're ready.

Scouting Euros now is completely different. Look at Detroit's gems in the last few years - Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Grigorenko, even Kronwall. None was in North America before age 22, and none was really ready to be. If the current system was in place, Detroit would have lost most or all of them before they were ready.

There's a reason most of these guys fell like rocks in the draft this year.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
These lists are populated by players who were hyped to DEATH and somehow end up being steals now after. It sucks having people mention the guys that were heard of nonstop all year(IE Istomin, Korhonen, Davis, Buravchikov, Mikus), then the real GM's and scouts show they weren't what they were advertised as, and as soon as the draft is over they are *great* picks just because you've heard of them before. "and so and so is a steal, cuz how'd he last that long? i never have seen him play but he must be good because..."

Guys like the poster who mentioned Chad Rau are the true steals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad