2005 NHL Draft If Lockout Occurs

• Thread starter Ol' Dirty Chinaman*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman*

Hey, I was just wondering (and if anybody can clear it up for me)

Assuming we enter armageddon, and there is a lockout for the entire season, how is the order decided for the NHL 2005 draft if the league resumes at that point ?

It would'nt be fair if they took standings of the teams two years prior, would they just randomize the team order, or do they postpone the 2005 draft to 2006 and use the '05 standings ?

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
Right now nobody knows, although I have heard several scenarios in case of a lockout:
*Draft proceeds as usual, lottery teams are same as 2003
*Huge lottery in which all teams participate to determine the draft order
*No draft takes place since nothing in the CBA/rules outlines what happens with the draft when there is a lockout

CivicSI_JB

Nov 8, 2002
Vancity, Baby!
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
Right now nobody knows, although I have heard several scenarios in case of a lockout:
*Huge lottery in which all teams participate to determine the draft order
*No draft takes place since nothing in the CBA/rules outlines what happens with the draft when there is a lockout

Just to correct you, it would be the same order as 2004, not 2003

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think what they'll do is go with the same order as 2004, only redo the lottery. It's simply not fair that a team can get Ovechkin AND Crosby at the price of one bad season. Unless of course it's the Pens.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
I can't imagine them doing away with the draft altogether. That would create too much chaos, with most players wanting to play for a select few clubs.

Organizations like Nashville, Carolina, Florida, etc would be royally screwed in a free for all system. Wouldn't be a level playing field at all without a draft.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
a perfect way to handle this situation would be to cancel the draft and make the draft age 19 for everyone. that way players eligible for the 2005 draft would simply all go together in the 2006 draft. i think all agree 18 is too young to be drafted anyway. this would be the perfect opportunity. drafting 18 year olds is simply too hit and miss and it shouldn't be that way. if the draft age were 19, yes, some players would still bust, but i would argue that the numbers of "bustees" would not be as great. the only potential draftees who would be effected would be the ncaa players who would then be drafted at age 20 instead of 19. this would be the best way of effecting the fewest possible potential draftees.

Jshibley

islandermaniac said:
a perfect way to handle this situation would be to cancel the draft and make the draft age 19 for everyone. that way players eligible for the 2005 draft would simply all go together in the 2006 draft. i think all agree 18 is too young to be drafted anyway. this would be the perfect opportunity. drafting 18 year olds is simply too hit and miss and it shouldn't be that way. if the draft age were 19, yes, some players would still bust, but i would argue that the numbers of "bustees" would not be as great. the only potential draftees who would be effected would be the ncaa players who would then be drafted at age 20 instead of 19. this would be the best way of effecting the fewest possible potential draftees.

I love this idea......lets hope we don't have to come to that though and actually have a season next year.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
islandermaniac said:

I agree too, unless you get a real stud most 18 year old don't make any impact. And, as you mentioned, they could jump on the occasion to back it off to 20 year old. It doesn't make any sense that guys jump in the NHL at 18, in the NFL they jump in at 23-24 unless it's Michael Vick. Same for the NBA, most players coming out of high school suck big time, unless you're called LeBron James

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
Jshibley said:
I love this idea......lets hope we don't have to come to that though and actually have a season next year.

i too would love to watch hockey next season rather than see an idea like mine come to fruition. however, if there is no season, it would be the perfect opportunity to rectify the draft situation.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
DutchLeafsfan said:

If the chicago blackhawks win the lotteryand draft ovechkin in 2004... and the draft order remains the same for 2005....

Crosby-Ruutu-Ovechkin

*drool*

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
They could move the 2005 Draft and combine it with the 2006 draft?

They have talked about making the NHL age later.

That would make you 19 when draft eligible and not 18.

Just a thought.

st_roland

La-La-Laprise said:
They could move the 2005 Draft and combine it with the 2006 draft?

They have talked about making the NHL age later.

That would make you 19 when draft eligible and not 18.

Just a thought.

I really like the idea of drafting at 19 instead of 18.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Teemu08 said:
If the chicago blackhawks win the lotteryand draft ovechkin in 2004... and the draft order remains the same for 2005....

Crosby-Ruutu-Ovechkin

*drool*

Ruutu was overhyped and is not in the same time zone as the other two. And if it were a line, I am pretty sure that Crosby would center it and Tuomo would be moved over to shotgun.

bean32772

Nov 27, 2003
Rusagonis
Visit site
I don't think it would be possible to raise the draft age because of legal ramifications. I believe there would be a lawsuit filed eventually by some 18 year old player much the same as in the NBA. It could be argued that they would be infringing on the player's rights. I believe this already happened and is why the current age is 18 but can't remember who challenged it.

islandermaniac

Feb 27, 2002
bean32772 said:
I don't think it would be possible to raise the draft age because of legal ramifications. I believe there would be a lawsuit filed eventually by some 18 year old player much the same as in the NBA. It could be argued that they would be infringing on the player's rights. I believe this already happened and is why the current age is 18 but can't remember who challenged it.

while you are right that some whiny teenager, his parents, and some greedy agent may complain, i believe the nhl can do whatever it wants regarding draft age.

also, the ncaa has already made the draft age 19 unless, of course, the player wants to lose their eligibility. furthermore, i don't think you would hear a single complaint from the canadian hockey league or from european leagues. both of these would love to keep their players one extra year to improve the quality of play and attendance. it truly is a massive loss to a juniour club to lose a player so early (see the peterborough petes and eric stall, the oshawa generals and nathan horton, and...etc, etc.)

i should also mention that other leagues, like the nfl, have stuck to their guns regarding draft requirements. for example, maurice clarett, the high profile running back from ohio state university recently challenged the nfl's draft eligibility rules. guess what? the nfl won that hands down...i believe the nhl would also.

i can't see why the nhlpa would take issue with this during collective bargaining, but, then again, i don't understand a lot of the nhlpa's stances. however, if the nhl and nhlpa do agree on this issue i don't believe any player could challenge the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad