2005 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safir*

X-SHARKIE said:
I'm basing this on last seasons standings, before the lottery/playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Sidney Crosby
This hardworking/young franchise should be rewarded with Sidney

2. Chicago Blackhawks: F Gilbert Brule
Blackhawks like the WHL and they need skilled forward. Brule also packs a physical punch. They will target this kid.

3. Washington Capitals: D Jack Johnson
Capitals land a prospect with #1 defenseman potential.

4. Columbus Bluejackets: F Guillaume Latendresse
Powerforward in the making, big upside. Will take the kid with the biggest upside. Goes along with the recent trend of Picard and Pineault...Best one yet though. Could likely trade up, down to target a defenseman, Jack Johnson if they move up.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: F Beniot Pouliot
OHL prospect, Coyotes will love his size, hands, skating, and his huge upside.. A team known for taking highest upside.

6. New York Rangers: F Bobby Ryan
New York loves American players and the land one of the best in Ryan. Bobby brings a big powerforward into the system that can work in the trenches and create alot of offense.

7. Florida Panthers: F Alex Bourret
Keenan will fall in love witht he highly skilled, extremely agressive hardworking leader from Lewiston.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: F Ryan O'Marra
OHL prospect, O'Marra will bring them a possible #1 center with a physical edge and size. Plays a pro game. They like safe picks with leadership qualities and this is as safe as it gets.

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: G Carey Price
Best player available. Ducks have no goaltending to speak of IMO behind Bryzgalov. This gives them a cornerstone #1 goaltender to build around, along with Smid, Getzlaf, Perry.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: F Anze Kopitar
Atlanta goes to Europe and grabs an offensive Gem to build around. They will love his size, and scoring ability. Remincent of Danny Heatley.

11. Los Angeles Kings: G Tuukka Rask
Kings need goaltending and they have a good europe scout and won't have trouble identifying Rask. Kings neglected to draft one last year with Schwarz on the table, and IMO they get a better one here.

12. Minnesota Wild: F Marek Zagrapan
Offensive wiz, excellent vision, and a defensive reliable player who has 1st line upside. Special player under the radar, Wild can't resist. Could look defense if Thelens year really scares them. But they need offense in the system beyond Koivu.

13. Buffalo Sabres: D Ryan Parent
Sabres love defenseman who can skate and handle there own end, and look past some stickhandling deficencies. Parent fits the bill perfectly and addaresses a need.

14. Edmonton Oilers: D Marc Staal
Edmonton takes a defenseman in Marc Staal. Staal brings excellent size to grow into, and offensive potential because of his ability to move the puck and is a terrific skater. Also impressive in his own end while not having a mean streak, but shows potential to grow one. Lowe doesn't do what convential wisdom says and takes Staal over the puzzling Kindl.

15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

16. Nashville Predators: F Niklas Bergfors
Nashville loves competive kids and Bergfors is that. He brings another offensive force to the organization. Plays a game that will work in the pros.

17. New York Islanders: D Jakub Kindl
Murray shoots for the Stars and lands a defenseman who had a tough year but has Huge upside. Needs a defenseman here.

18. Montreal Canadians: F Devin Setoguchi
A big strong well balanced kid, with a heck of a shot. Battles inconstancy but Habs can overlook that. I see a good skating Johnathan Cheechoo.

19. Calgary Flames: F Kendall McCardle
Might trade down to grab him but he's a smaller forward who plays a pro game, defensive play is coming along nicely, has a physical edge, plays hard every night. Plays best in big games. Has legit pro offensive upside.

20. Dallas Stars: F Ryan Stoa
Stars get a big kid with huge upside, Stoa has 1st line upside and could turn into a less physical Joe Thornton because of his playmaking and size. Project that has along road of NCAA ahead. Stars can be patient with.

21. Colorado Avalanche: D Matt Lashoff
Came back from injurey plagued season and came on strong. Good upside in this package of size, puck moving, and skating. Physical game is coming along as is balance. Avalanche need a good defenseman prospect.

22. New Jersey Devils: D Brian Lee
Devils are excellent at identifying talent in lower levels of play. US High School being this one. They love big upside, Lee has that in spades along with size, skating, and most of all, poise and smarts. They also value good devolopmental situations. None better then North Dakota wich they have shown trust in the past.

23. Vancouver Canucks: D Risto Korhonen
Big, Physical, offensive game progressing, International success which Vancouver likes, Korhonen plays a very N.A. game and the Canucks might trade down to get him. Has good upside.

24. Philadelphia Flyers: G Jean-Philipe Levasseur
Philly believes in best player available because of trade assets. Plus they don't have a sure thing #1 goaltender in the system. Levasseur was at one point the best Q goaltending prospect in quite awhile. Philly is good at grooming, and being patient with netminders and could find themselves with a premier prospect or excellent trade baite.

25. Ottawa Senators: F Daniel Bertram
Sens get a prospect with big offensive upside. Bertram is one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best. Had some trouble this year but Sens are great at identifying talent with small portions of viewings. A prospect with some risk but huge rewards, and the Sens groom better then anyone arguably.

26. Toronto Maple Leafs: F Andrew Cogliano
Leafs take a player who has plenty of devolopment ahead in Michigan, but has huge offensive upside. Highlight real gamebraker in the making going to a good system in Michigan. Leafs could have a steal

27. Boston Bruins: D Teemu Laakso
After moving Morrison they will use this pick on defense because of the emergence of Boyes and Bergeron, They have an excellent Finland scout who will see the possible next Denis Grebeshkov esque prospect. A little rough around the edges, and lack of size, but Laakso could be a boom prospect.

28. San Jose Sharks: D Luc Bourdon
San Jose needs a defenseman, could go after Korhonen but he could be gone. Bourdon is a complete defenseman who isn't a crease clearer or an offensive defenseman, but he is smart, poised, and solid on his feet. Things that attract the Sharks attention.

29. Tampa Bay Lightning: F Chris Durrand
A playmaking forward who works hard, but ultimate upside is a 2nd liner likely. Lightning need some safe forward prospects in the system bad. They will love his vision and skating. Can overlook size with Heinrich and Polushin in the system already.

30. Detriot Redwings: F Slava Trukhno
Wings get a steal, Trukhno is one of my personal favorites and just watching him makes you see that he could be something special dispite less then mind blowing numbers. Wings won't pass him up. Could fall because of defense and lack of playmaking but shows signs of improvement in both areas. Wings will love his offensive dangle and upside.

X, Wow I really enjoyed reading your post and I agree 100% on #10. Kopitar is the fellow that I want on the Thrashers. I'm left with the impression that he's a project that is a few years away from the NHL, but IMO Atlanta should jump at him. The team needs centers badly, big centers.

I could see Pouilot falling to the Panthers (5: Ryan, 6: Bourret.)

Last year some Ducks fans were sure that their team would't select a d-man, but the managers got Smid to address a need. I think you are right that the team will bloster the rear-end position with Price.

La & Rask? I think that the Kings need centers more than goalies and they still suffer from the Storr trauma. I prefer Zagrapan or Skille.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
TomACE said:
Last year some Ducks fans were sure that their team would't select a d-man, but the managers got Smid to address a need. I think you are right that the team will bloster the rear-end position with Price.

We were sure to pick a north american player (most likely a d-man like Thelen), instead we were surprised by the selection of Ladislav Smid, who is Czech.
I hope it won't happen, but it is definetely a possibility that the Ducks will select a goalie in the first two rounds.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
TomACE said:

Where did you get that idea from? 2000 draft Smirnov-Forward, 2001 draft-Chistov-Forward 2002 draft-Lupul Forward 2003 draft Getzlaf & Perry-Forwards.

The Ducks desperately needed to draft a defensmen and their fans knew that. We were all just a little surprised to see them take Smid over Thelen. But in hindsight that move looks great so far.

Now for this draft:

Ducks need:

1) Top pairing defensmen
2) First line franchise center
3) Franchise Goalie prospect

The best player that fits one of those three when Anaheim picks is what they will go with.

As a Ducks fan I prefer that the team does not pick a goalie in the first round though. Because goalies take years to develop and good ones can be found in later rounds.

Ducks don't need wingers or 2nd-3rd pairing d-men.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
markov` said:
At the moment you should be VERY pleased by your surprise...

Definitely!
Smid at 18 played regularly in mens league with a strong Liberec team, eliminated in the playoffs semifinals just a week ago. He also led the cezch defense at the WJC and played with the pro national team on another tourney.
A great experience for Lad, I posted an interview of him on the czech board, I'm waiting for someone to translate him... :help:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
How are you gonna do the draft is through a chat or thread on this board? ( i live in europe now so i cant chat in the middle of the night)

If you do it as a thread im in and ill take Chicago(always funny pickin high and I´m guessing someone else will do the Canucks)

Already taken teams
Philly- gagneownsyou
Sharks- X-sharkie
Toronto- MaDdy
Montreal-Fredez
Atlanta-Markov
Rangers-BobMarleyNYR
Capitals-Borro
Penguins-Katodelder
Chicago-Askel

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Rounder said:
Ryan one dimensional ? He finished the season +30, he plays power plays and PENALTY KILLS. He is built for the pro game. As far as other N.H.L scouts go, you should ask around, more than half the teams in the leauge have him as the number 2 pick

Oh, because you have access to the NHL team's draft lists? Really hey?

If that's the case, please elaborate. What teams have who ranked where? Come on, we want that info.

I read the 5 posts you made on these boards and all 5 say the same thing: Ryan is high on scouts lists. Why do you feel the need to promote him and only him?

(I'm betting on a non-reply to this)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Askel said:
How are you gonna do the draft is through a chat or thread on this board? ( i live in europe now so i cant chat in the middle of the night)

If you do it as a thread im in and ill take Chicago(always funny pickin high and I´m guessing someone else will do the Canucks)

Already taken teams
Philly- gagneownsyou
Sharks- X-sharkie
Toronto- MaDdy
Montreal-Fredez
Atlanta-Markov
Rangers-BobMarleyNYR
Capitals-Borro
Penguins-Katodelder
Chicago-Askel

I take the Ducks

blah

Jun 24, 2003
GagneOwnsYou said:
2. Philly will not take a goalie in the 1st round. End of story.
To be fair he said best available player. If there's no dmen left that they like I wouldn't be surprised if they took the BAP no matter the position.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Philip J. Fry said:
Typical case of someone that doesn't read carefully. I said that my generation never had a superstar skater... That's it, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, etc, I couldn't care less. My grandfather and my father saw them play. Not me. And honestly, they're considered as habs fans and in my life, I bought more tickets and jerseys with my own money than they did themselves. That's what I'm saying. I'm not only talking about ME... It's about a whole generation of very lucrative habs fans. I can't beleive your dumb enough to throw in the names of Lafleur and Richard. I'm 20 years old damn it. Ultimately, the most skilled and spectacular skater our generation had is Saku Koivu and he averaged 55 games per seasons over the past 9 seasons. That's rather depressing considering how jam-packed and loud the bell center is, and the ratings that the habs draw on TV. Honestly, it's a real shame... I'm looking at almost every teams located in a decent hockey markets, they all had something spectacular at some point over the past 10-12 years. Not us. Pittsburg with their 11.000 avg crowd can go in hell as far I'm concerned. Our team was the most boring thing after eating Kraft Diner while watching penis elargement ads on TV and we managed to draw a crowd of over 20 000. Now they got St. Louis, Richards and Lecavalier in Tampa, Ovechkin in Washington, Kovalchuk and Heatley in Atlanta. Disgusting. What's next, Crosby where they had 11 000 people into their arena because the team was boring? That's just plain stupid.
I just want to be sure I'm reading this right......Montreal deserves the right to move to the top of the draft order, not based on their prior years record (As is done in all the major sport leagues), but based on the fact that you are a needy fan, who feels that his world of fandom superceded that of all other hockey fans worldwide. We, the lowly peons who are fans of teams outside of Quebec, have no right to root for our team, nor deserve the honor of being graced with the presence of any player whom the Montreal fans feel should be on their roster. Basically, if you extrapolate this thought process, Montreal should fill out it's roster to their liking, then allow other teams to have the scraps of the league. Am I correct?

KILLger

Mar 2, 2002
Canada
Visit site
craig1 said:
I just want to be sure I'm reading this right......Montreal deserves the right to move to the top of the draft order, not based on their prior years record (As is done in all the major sport leagues), but based on the fact that you are a needy fan, who feels that his world of fandom superceded that of all other hockey fans worldwide. We, the lowly peons who are fans of teams outside of Quebec, have no right to root for our team, nor deserve the honor of being graced with the presence of any player whom the Montreal fans feel should be on their roster. Basically, if you extrapolate this thought process, Montreal should fill out it's roster to their liking, then allow other teams to have the scraps of the league. Am I correct?

100% correct. :)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Philip J. Fry said:
Typical case of someone that doesn't read carefully. I said that my generation never had a superstar skater... That's it, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, etc, I couldn't care less. My grandfather and my father saw them play. Not me. And honestly, they're considered as habs fans and in my life, I bought more tickets and jerseys with my own money than they did themselves. That's what I'm saying. I'm not only talking about ME... It's about a whole generation of very lucrative habs fans. I can't beleive your dumb enough to throw in the names of Lafleur and Richard. I'm 20 years old damn it. Ultimately, the most skilled and spectacular skater our generation had is Saku Koivu and he averaged 55 games per seasons over the past 9 seasons. That's rather depressing considering how jam-packed and loud the bell center is, and the ratings that the habs draw on TV. Honestly, it's a real shame... I'm looking at almost every teams located in a decent hockey markets, they all had something spectacular at some point over the past 10-12 years. Not us. Pittsburg with their 11.000 avg crowd can go in hell as far I'm concerned. Our team was the most boring thing after eating Kraft Diner while watching penis elargement ads on TV and we managed to draw a crowd of over 20 000. Now they got St. Louis, Richards and Lecavalier in Tampa, Ovechkin in Washington, Kovalchuk and Heatley in Atlanta. Disgusting. What's next, Crosby where they had 11 000 people into their arena because the team was boring? That's just plain stupid.

Funny thing is the Habs have a shady past when dealing with the draft, you really have no case here sister. ;)

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
craig1 said:
Basically, if you extrapolate this thought process, Montreal should fill out it's roster to their liking, then allow other teams to have the scraps of the league. Am I correct?

Unfortunately you just described the old days perfectly.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Already taken teams
Philly- gagneownsyou
San Jose- X-sharkie
Toronto- MaDdy
Montreal-Fredez
Atlanta-Markov
Rangers-BobMarleyNYR
Capitals-Borro
Pittsburgh-Katodelder
Chicago-Askel
Anaheim-Fighter
Pheonix-vanwycken27
Calgary-kruezer
Canucks-Koltsov
Buffallo-Chipchura

Teams left:
Edmonton , Minnesota, Columbus, Florida, Tampa Bay, Los Angeles, Detroit, Boston,Colorado, NY Islanders, Ottawa, St Louis, Dallas, New Jersey, Nashville, Carolina,

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
borro said:
Is there any way we could do a lottery for the top pick? That would add interest. Some form of a lottery is likely. Any ideas?

The usual lottery is one possibility. Perhaps the most likely possibility though they may average the past two or three seasons to determine who has the highest percentages. That would allow any team to move up to five slots among the non-playoff participants in the lottery. No team could move down more than one slot. Meaning the team in the first position would get the first pick if they won outright (25% chance) or if a team from numbers 6 - 14 won and moved up five slots. Any other system, if you do have a lottery, is a shot in the dark, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->