2005 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

X-SHARKIE said:
Interesting on Zagrapan. I really liked what I saw at the WJC's but Where is the hype train? Aside from ISS and Mckeens, I haven't heard anything on him really.

Yeah, that one caught me off guard as well. You never can tell with MacLean - just when you think you have him figured out he drafts someone else. Example: 2003 - he talked Horton and Vanek but he and the scouts really wanted Zherdev. 2004 there was a lot of Ladd and Barker talk but they go Picard.

Obviously everyone wants Crosby but after that I've got to think C-bus goes after the best D-man in Johnson.

Anyhow - great work on the mock as they are always fun reads.

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
I love Brule, But I highly doubt he goes top 5, he's rated 6th in NA skaters right now. Johnson could go 2nd, but personally I see Brule going to 4-7. If there's one pick Vancouver should trade up for, it would be Brule. Lets say Vancouver trades their 2005+2006 1st rounders to move up significantly to a #4-#5 pick, If the draft looks like last year at all, Pitts will take Crosby, WSH will take a defenseman, based on need, I'm gonna say Johnson. Chicago will take Latendresse, no doubt in my mind. I see Brule going to CBJ, but CBJ isn't desperate for a Brule type player, and CBJ and van have done business in the past, and I see CBJ organizing something to send a defensive prospect (Koltsov) this years 1st, and next years 2nd for the 5th round pick.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Hey Sharkie, excellent work man! You really put some thought into each pick.

Granted, I'm wary of the Kings drafting a goalie in the first round (Storr just stays in my mind), but we certainly could use a good goaltender prospect.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
rt said:
Maybe Columbus trades up for Johnson and Washington takes Ryan fourth. Then they'd have Ovechkin and Semin on the left side and Fehr and Ryan on the right!

Washington'd two needs are a center and a #1 dman. Ryan is a luxury we can't afford. We will take a Crosby Brule Latendresse or a Johnson Staal imho.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Apparently Durand didn't really take charge at all in the second half- although I saw him only once personally. Do regular viewers think he might have slipped out of the 1st round? He has loads of skill/potential but his production wasn't what people thought it should have been...

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Matt MacInnis said:
Guillame Latendresse is certainly getting a lot of attention.

Frankly I think the Q has been very well represented in talks of this draft. Many agree that the Q crop this year is one of the strongest it has been in several years, particularly with the "big 3" forwards (Latendresse, Zapragan, and Bourret) all candidates to be top ten picks.

You're forgetting someone there... Crosby?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
borro said:
Washington'd two needs are a center and a #1 dman. Ryan is a luxury we can't afford. We will take a Crosby Brule Latendresse or a Johnson Staal imho.

I don't think Washington really has any prospect NEEDS.

Latendresse is a winger, BTW.

X0ssbar

Flames Draft Watcher said:
I heard a couple radio interviews with Maclean last season where he talked about Picard.

Just like he's talked about Pouliot this year.

He harldy ever mentioned the guy on his radio show here in C-bus - in fact most of the CBJ posters on this board didn't see that pick coming.

Basically my point is that he talks guys up but he is coy about the guy he really wants. So who knows - maybe he really wants Brule.

He has talked quite a bit about Pouliot this year though.

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:
14. Edmonton Oilers: D Marc Staal
Edmonton takes a defenseman in Marc Staal. Staal brings excellent size to grow into, and offensive potential because of his ability to move the puck and is a terrific skater. Also impressive in his own end while not having a mean streak, but shows potential to grow one. Lowe doesn't do what convential wisdom says and takes Staal over the puzzling Kindl.

15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

I could actually see the Oilers picking Skille if he were still available. Not a knock on Staal, but he's really no different that guys like Lynch, Woywitka, Semenov, etc... I think they'd pick a skilled forward before a defenceman, especially because there are some decent defencemen in this draft that could be had in the 2nd or 3rd round, but the good forwards aren't as deep.

boby

Oct 3, 2004
l see many time this years D.G Maclearn a the Lewiston game, why ...for see Bourret??? for see Picard??? or for see combinaison PICARD-BOURRET....for the future with Pinneault ???? good question

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Thanks again for another great mock draft, X-SHARKIE. I remember that last years was awsome as well and that we both liked a mid first rounder player in Picard. A favorite of mine this year is Skille. I've seen him play a few times and have become a huge fan. I just wanted to ask if you can give some more thoughts on him.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks X-Sharkie! Always informative and with good reasons. I don't mind Staal, but I'm hoping the Oilers could pick up either another offensive player (can't depend everything on Schremp).

Care to do Round Two? :)

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Spetzky said:
IMO, Columbus doesn't need Latendress, they are already stocked like crazy with Nash, Picard, and Zherdev. But otherwise great list

Columbus stocked with these 3 players :confused: ...Man, you need 12 fowards to have a team and if you want to win, you want to have 12 good fowards. It's not really possible but you can't pretend to have enough fowards with Nash, Zherdez and Picard(who isn't a sure NHL'er)...

As for the thread, if Stall, Kindl and Parent aren't on the board when the Habs will pick, I wouldn't be surprise to see them trade down...or they might trade up to grab one of these defenceman...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Hey,

someone tell me who will be the steal of the draft. Here are some of my predictions.

Denis Istomin
Martin Hanzal
Slava Trukhno
Andrew Cogliano
Scott Jackson ( very underrated )

dawgbone

Jun 24, 2002
MaDdY said:
Hey,

someone tell me who will be the steal of the draft. Here are some of my predictions.

Denis Istomin
Martin Hanzal
Slava Trukhno
Andrew Cogliano
Scott Jackson ( very underrated )

Adam McQuaid... every bit as good defensively as Staal, but not as good offensively.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Very nice list man...If Bertram is available...I want the Canucks to take him over a a d-man...we lack skilled fwds and he is a heck of a player.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Philip J. Fry said:
Typical case of someone that doesn't read carefully. I said that my generation never had a superstar skater... That's it, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, etc, I couldn't care less. My grandfather and my father saw them play. Not me. And honestly, they're considered as habs fans and in my life, I bought more tickets and jerseys with my own money than they did themselves. That's what I'm saying. I'm not only talking about ME... It's about a whole generation of very lucrative habs fans. I can't beleive your dumb enough to throw in the names of Lafleur and Richard. I'm 20 years old damn it. .
Honestly, could you be more melodramatic?

Philip J. Fry said:
I'm looking at almost every teams located in a decent hockey markets, they all had something spectacular at some point over the past 10-12 years. Not us.

On three, everyone point and laugh. 1...2...3

:lol:

I guess winning the Stanley freakin' Cup in '93 (more recent than any of the Pens CUps, might I add) wasn't spectacular?

To me, you are typical of the many Habs fans I've come across- wanting anything and everything to go their way, and when they don't, whine and whine and whine to no end. Your sappy stories about how much of a Habs fan you are doesn't justify why you deserve Sidney Crosby.

:nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm basing this on last seasons standings, before the lottery/playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Sidney Crosby
This hardworking/young franchise should be rewarded with Sidney

2. Chicago Blackhawks: F Gilbert Brule
Blackhawks like the WHL and they need skilled forward. Brule also packs a physical punch. They will target this kid.

3. Washington Capitals: D Jack Johnson
Capitals land a prospect with #1 defenseman potential.

4. Columbus Bluejackets: F Guillaume Latendresse
Powerforward in the making, big upside. Will take the kid with the biggest upside. Goes along with the recent trend of Picard and Pineault...Best one yet though. Could likely trade up, down to target a defenseman, Jack Johnson if they move up.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: F Beniot Pouliot
OHL prospect, Coyotes will love his size, hands, skating, and his huge upside.. A team known for taking highest upside.

6. New York Rangers: F Bobby Ryan
New York loves American players and the land one of the best in Ryan. Bobby brings a big powerforward into the system that can work in the trenches and create alot of offense.

7. Florida Panthers: F Alex Bourret
Keenan will fall in love witht he highly skilled, extremely agressive hardworking leader from Lewiston.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: F Ryan O'Marra
OHL prospect, O'Marra will bring them a possible #1 center with a physical edge and size. Plays a pro game. They like safe picks with leadership qualities and this is as safe as it gets.

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: G Carey Price
Best player available. Ducks have no goaltending to speak of IMO behind Bryzgalov. This gives them a cornerstone #1 goaltender to build around, along with Smid, Getzlaf, Perry.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: F Anze Kopitar
Atlanta goes to Europe and grabs an offensive Gem to build around. They will love his size, and scoring ability. Remincent of Danny Heatley.

11. Los Angeles Kings: G Tuukka Rask
Kings need goaltending and they have a good europe scout and won't have trouble identifying Rask. Kings neglected to draft one last year with Schwarz on the table, and IMO they get a better one here.

12. Minnesota Wild: F Marek Zagrapan
Offensive wiz, excellent vision, and a defensive reliable player who has 1st line upside. Special player under the radar, Wild can't resist. Could look defense if Thelens year really scares them. But they need offense in the system beyond Koivu.

13. Buffalo Sabres: D Ryan Parent
Sabres love defenseman who can skate and handle there own end, and look past some stickhandling deficencies. Parent fits the bill perfectly and addaresses a need.

14. Edmonton Oilers: D Marc Staal
Edmonton takes a defenseman in Marc Staal. Staal brings excellent size to grow into, and offensive potential because of his ability to move the puck and is a terrific skater. Also impressive in his own end while not having a mean streak, but shows potential to grow one. Lowe doesn't do what convential wisdom says and takes Staal over the puzzling Kindl.

15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

16. Nashville Predators: F Niklas Bergfors
Nashville loves competive kids and Bergfors is that. He brings another offensive force to the organization. Plays a game that will work in the pros.

17. New York Islanders: D Jakub Kindl
Murray shoots for the Stars and lands a defenseman who had a tough year but has Huge upside. Needs a defenseman here.

18. Montreal Canadians: F Devin Setoguchi
A big strong well balanced kid, with a heck of a shot. Battles inconstancy but Habs can overlook that. I see a good skating Johnathan Cheechoo.

19. Calgary Flames: F Kendall McCardle
Might trade down to grab him but he's a smaller forward who plays a pro game, defensive play is coming along nicely, has a physical edge, plays hard every night. Plays best in big games. Has legit pro offensive upside.

20. Dallas Stars: F Ryan Stoa
Stars get a big kid with huge upside, Stoa has 1st line upside and could turn into a less physical Joe Thornton because of his playmaking and size. Project that has along road of NCAA ahead. Stars can be patient with.

21. Colorado Avalanche: D Matt Lashoff
Came back from injurey plagued season and came on strong. Good upside in this package of size, puck moving, and skating. Physical game is coming along as is balance. Avalanche need a good defenseman prospect.

22. New Jersey Devils: D Brian Lee
Devils are excellent at identifying talent in lower levels of play. US High School being this one. They love big upside, Lee has that in spades along with size, skating, and most of all, poise and smarts. They also value good devolopmental situations. None better then North Dakota wich they have shown trust in the past.

23. Vancouver Canucks: D Risto Korhonen
Big, Physical, offensive game progressing, International success which Vancouver likes, Korhonen plays a very N.A. game and the Canucks might trade down to get him. Has good upside.

24. Philadelphia Flyers: G Jean-Philipe Levasseur
Philly believes in best player available because of trade assets. Plus they don't have a sure thing #1 goaltender in the system. Levasseur was at one point the best Q goaltending prospect in quite awhile. Philly is good at grooming, and being patient with netminders and could find themselves with a premier prospect or excellent trade baite.

25. Ottawa Senators: F Daniel Bertram
Sens get a prospect with big offensive upside. Bertram is one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best. Had some trouble this year but Sens are great at identifying talent with small portions of viewings. A prospect with some risk but huge rewards, and the Sens groom better then anyone arguably.

26. Toronto Maple Leafs: F Andrew Cogliano
Leafs take a player who has plenty of devolopment ahead in Michigan, but has huge offensive upside. Highlight real gamebraker in the making going to a good system in Michigan. Leafs could have a steal

27. Boston Bruins: D Teemu Laakso
After moving Morrison they will use this pick on defense because of the emergence of Boyes and Bergeron, They have an excellent Finland scout who will see the possible next Denis Grebeshkov esque prospect. A little rough around the edges, and lack of size, but Laakso could be a boom prospect.

28. San Jose Sharks: D Luc Bourdon
San Jose needs a defenseman, could go after Korhonen but he could be gone. Bourdon is a complete defenseman who isn't a crease clearer or an offensive defenseman, but he is smart, poised, and solid on his feet. Things that attract the Sharks attention.

29. Tampa Bay Lightning: F Chris Durrand
A playmaking forward who works hard, but ultimate upside is a 2nd liner likely. Lightning need some safe forward prospects in the system bad. They will love his vision and skating. Can overlook size with Heinrich and Polushin in the system already.

30. Detriot Redwings: F Slava Trukhno
Wings get a steal, Trukhno is one of my personal favorites and just watching him makes you see that he could be something special dispite less then mind blowing numbers. Wings won't pass him up. Could fall because of defense and lack of playmaking but shows signs of improvement in both areas. Wings will love his offensive dangle and upside.
I havre to admit, I am a HUGE Habs fan, and would LOVE for Montreal to get Johnson, it just won't happen. Therefore, for the good of the game Johnson MUST go to the Rangers. The Rangers must trade up and take this kid. What a terrific kid for NY. Good looking, talented, smart and American. The ideal kid for broadway.

X-SHARKIE

#66 said:
Thanks again for another great mock draft, X-SHARKIE. I remember that last years was awsome as well and that we both liked a mid first rounder player in Picard. A favorite of mine this year is Skille. I've seen him play a few times and have become a huge fan. I just wanted to ask if you can give some more thoughts on him.

I actually had him as a darkhorse pick before the season started. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=105234

Skille is a good skater, mainly because he keeps his feet moving, he's very smart and crafty offensively, he has learned to use his linemates better. Another thing I love about him, same with PIcard last year, is this kid can flat out finnish. He scores goals from anywhere. His shot is so deceptively quick when released it beats the best of goalies.

As for steals of the draft? I'm not sure yet.

There are 3 players I want the Sharks to take after the top 2 rounds.

F Jordan Lavalle. His skating has come along way and his hands and finish continue to blossum. He is a good project worth taking on.

D Joe Finley. 6-7 240 and mean, from the USHL, skates pretty well to. Moves the puck well on the first pass. Could be a great 3rd-4th round pick.

F Mathiue Roy, stuck on a bad bad team. He can score and he has a good hard edge to his game. Still a big project.

F Zach Bearson would make a great 2nd day pick. Looks to be the next Wayne Primeau

The sleeper 1st round picks IMO are Trukhno and Matt Niskanen. I saw Matt at the Minnesota state tournament and he was awesome, could sneak up on draft boards.
I see Trukhno being the kid that years from now we all go, man I wish my team took that kid. No one has the moves this kid does in this draft IMO.

2 round mock would be tough, but it would be fun.

Mabey we could do a HF wide mock, have one person represent each NHL team, and do a 3 round mock?

Anyone interested in that?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
X-SHARKIE said:
I actually had him as a darkhorse pick before the season started. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=105234

Skille is a good skater, mainly because he keeps his feet moving, he's very smart and crafty offensively, he has learned to use his linemates better. Another thing I love about him, same with PIcard last year, is this kid can flat out finnish. He scores goals from anywhere. His shot is so deceptively quick when released it beats the best of goalies.

As for steals of the draft? I'm not sure yet.

There are 3 players I want the Sharks to take after the top 2 rounds.

F Jordan Lavalle. His skating has come along way and his hands and finish continue to blossum. He is a good project worth taking on.

D Joe Finley. 6-7 240 and mean, from the USHL, skates pretty well to. Moves the puck well on the first pass. Could be a great 3rd-4th round pick.

F Mathiue Roy, stuck on a bad bad team. He can score and he has a good hard edge to his game. Still a big project.

F Zach Bearson would make a great 2nd day pick. Looks to be the next Wayne Primeau

The sleeper 1st round picks IMO are Trukhno and Matt Niskanen. I saw Matt at the Minnesota state tournament and he was awesome, could sneak up on draft boards.
I see Trukhno being the kid that years from now we all go, man I wish my team took that kid. No one has the moves this kid does in this draft IMO.

2 round mock would be tough, but it would be fun.

Mabey we could do a HF wide mock, have one person represent each NHL team, and do a 3 round mock?

Anyone interested in that?

A great idea Sharky.

How about we pick one person and do a mock draft from 1st to 3rd round. This way, one person selects for their team unlike the mock draft on the Futures and Petition board. I'll take the Toronto. :)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I would prefer the Coyotes to take Bobby Ryan or Alex Bourret over Benoit Pouliot. Surely his upside is not as high as Ryan's? Or as physically ready as Bourret? I dont see what it is that makes him a top 5 selection in scouts eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad