2005 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

Spetzky said:
IMO, Columbus doesn't need Latendress, they are already stocked like crazy with Nash, Picard, and Zherdev. But otherwise great list

Agree.

FTR, MacLean was on locally here the other day and this is the top 5 he mentioned in no particular order:

Crosby
Ryan
Johnson
Pouliout
Zagrapan

(interesting he didn't mention Brule)

IMO, if we miss out on Crosby we do everything we can to land Johnson - i.e. trade up.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
Philip J. Fry said:
I know we had Patrick Roy but it's not like was putting on a show or made you jump out of your seat. We never had that kind of player in Montreal. QUOTE]

not a smart statement. patrick roy will go down as one of the best goalies of all time, if not the best. would montreal fans have made this kind of statement back in the '93 cup finals? i'm not saying anyone deserves crosby over another, but saying you've never had a player like that in montreal is laughable.

X-SHARKIE

Top Shelf said:
Agree.

FTR, MacLean was on locally here the other day and this is the top 5 he mentioned in no particular order:

Crosby
Ryan
Johnson
Pouliout
Zagrapan

IMO, if we miss out on Crosby we do everything we can to land Johnson - i.e. trade up.

Interesting on Zagrapan. I really liked what I saw at the WJC's but Where is the hype train? Aside from ISS and Mckeens, I haven't heard anything on him really.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Philip J. Fry said:
Listen, I'm 20 years old, and I've been a habs fan since I'm born. My generation is crazy about the habs. I buy lots of promotional items. I'm not rich (well I used not to be, now I could buy a 20 games package without trouble... but I'm sick and can't leave home) but I'm always taking my own cash to buy tickets since I have my own money. Lots of people of my generation are hardcore fans, and watch how many people there's on the habs forum. That's the tip of the ice-berg, because 50% of habs fans don't even understand english well enough to read the boards. There's been more than a whole generation of habs fans that supported its team even more than the previous generations and we've never been rewarded with a superstar. I know we had Patrick Roy but it's not like was putting on a show or made you jump out of your seat. We never had that kind of player in Montreal. Pittsburg had Lemieux and they still have him, Jagr and to some extent Kovalev. Kovalev played well for a 12-games stint in Montreal and everyone was crazy. The team sucked for years and we still had the best crowds in the nhl. Now tell me that Pittsburg really deserve Crosby. Seriously, it's laughable...
You listen, the Penguins couldn't afford many of their star players so they had to ship them, they have suffered in box office revenues because of this. They are flat out the worst team in the NHL. Under the current system they deserve Crosby because.....they are last in the standings.

I don't care how loyal Habs fans are, that doesn't mean you deserve the best player in the draft. Habs have never had a star player like that? Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, Roy....I think you guys had enough.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
X-SHARKIE said:
Interesting on Zagrapan. I really liked what I saw at the WJC's but Where is the hype train? Aside from ISS and Mckeens, I haven't heard anything on him really.
There is no hype train for any Q player not named Crosby. There is never hype comming out here.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Top Shelf said:
Agree.

Crosby
Ryan
Johnson
Pouliout
Zagrapan

Well much to the chagrin of several Vancouver posters, I have been loud and proud in my opinion that Brule did not look like a top 3-5 pick to me in most years (based on my two live viewings of him against the Hitmen). So it doesn't surprise me really. But I don't intend to spark that debate again.

Johnson would make a lot of sense for Columbus. Despite this not being the strongest year for defensemen they really could use a future star at that position given their depth up front and in goal.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
There is no hype train for any Q player not named Crosby. There is never hype comming out here.

Guillame Latendresse is certainly getting a lot of attention.

Frankly I think the Q has been very well represented in talks of this draft. Many agree that the Q crop this year is one of the strongest it has been in several years, particularly with the "big 3" forwards (Latendresse, Zapragan, and Bourret) all candidates to be top ten picks.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm basing this on last seasons standings, before the lottery/playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Sidney Crosby
This hardworking/young franchise should be rewarded with Sidney

2. Chicago Blackhawks: F Gilbert Brule
Blackhawks like the WHL and they need skilled forward. Brule also packs a physical punch. They will target this kid.

3. Washington Capitals: D Jack Johnson
Capitals land a prospect with #1 defenseman potential.

4. Columbus Bluejackets: F Guillaume Latendresse
Powerforward in the making, big upside. Will take the kid with the biggest upside. Goes along with the recent trend of Picard and Pineault...Best one yet though. Could likely trade up, down to target a defenseman, Jack Johnson if they move up.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: F Beniot Pouliot
OHL prospect, Coyotes will love his size, hands, skating, and his huge upside.. A team known for taking highest upside.

6. New York Rangers: F Bobby Ryan
New York loves American players and the land one of the best in Ryan. Bobby brings a big powerforward into the system that can work in the trenches and create alot of offense.

7. Florida Panthers: F Alex Bourret
Keenan will fall in love witht he highly skilled, extremely agressive hardworking leader from Lewiston.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: F Ryan O'Marra
OHL prospect, O'Marra will bring them a possible #1 center with a physical edge and size. Plays a pro game. They like safe picks with leadership qualities and this is as safe as it gets.

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: G Carey Price
Best player available. Ducks have no goaltending to speak of IMO behind Bryzgalov. This gives them a cornerstone #1 goaltender to build around, along with Smid, Getzlaf, Perry.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: F Anze Kopitar
Atlanta goes to Europe and grabs an offensive Gem to build around. They will love his size, and scoring ability. Remincent of Danny Heatley.

11. Los Angeles Kings: G Tuukka Rask
Kings need goaltending and they have a good europe scout and won't have trouble identifying Rask. Kings neglected to draft one last year with Schwarz on the table, and IMO they get a better one here.

12. Minnesota Wild: F Marek Zagrapan
Offensive wiz, excellent vision, and a defensive reliable player who has 1st line upside. Special player under the radar, Wild can't resist. Could look defense if Thelens year really scares them. But they need offense in the system beyond Koivu.

13. Buffalo Sabres: D Ryan Parent
Sabres love defenseman who can skate and handle there own end, and look past some stickhandling deficencies. Parent fits the bill perfectly and addaresses a need.

14. Edmonton Oilers: D Marc Staal
Edmonton takes a defenseman in Marc Staal. Staal brings excellent size to grow into, and offensive potential because of his ability to move the puck and is a terrific skater. Also impressive in his own end while not having a mean streak, but shows potential to grow one. Lowe doesn't do what convential wisdom says and takes Staal over the puzzling Kindl.

15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

16. Nashville Predators: F Niklas Bergfors
Nashville loves competive kids and Bergfors is that. He brings another offensive force to the organization. Plays a game that will work in the pros.

17. New York Islanders: D Jakub Kindl
Murray shoots for the Stars and lands a defenseman who had a tough year but has Huge upside. Needs a defenseman here.

18. Montreal Canadians: F Devin Setoguchi
A big strong well balanced kid, with a heck of a shot. Battles inconstancy but Habs can overlook that. I see a good skating Johnathan Cheechoo.

19. Calgary Flames: F Kendall McCardle
Might trade down to grab him but he's a smaller forward who plays a pro game, defensive play is coming along nicely, has a physical edge, plays hard every night. Plays best in big games. Has legit pro offensive upside.

20. Dallas Stars: F Ryan Stoa
Stars get a big kid with huge upside, Stoa has 1st line upside and could turn into a less physical Joe Thornton because of his playmaking and size. Project that has along road of NCAA ahead. Stars can be patient with.

21. Colorado Avalanche: D Matt Lashoff
Came back from injurey plagued season and came on strong. Good upside in this package of size, puck moving, and skating. Physical game is coming along as is balance. Avalanche need a good defenseman prospect.

22. New Jersey Devils: D Brian Lee
Devils are excellent at identifying talent in lower levels of play. US High School being this one. They love big upside, Lee has that in spades along with size, skating, and most of all, poise and smarts. They also value good devolopmental situations. None better then North Dakota wich they have shown trust in the past.

23. Vancouver Canucks: D Risto Korhonen
Big, Physical, offensive game progressing, International success which Vancouver likes, Korhonen plays a very N.A. game and the Canucks might trade down to get him. Has good upside.

24. Philadelphia Flyers: G Jean-Philipe Levasseur
Philly believes in best player available because of trade assets. Plus they don't have a sure thing #1 goaltender in the system. Levasseur was at one point the best Q goaltending prospect in quite awhile. Philly is good at grooming, and being patient with netminders and could find themselves with a premier prospect or excellent trade baite.

25. Ottawa Senators: F Daniel Bertram
Sens get a prospect with big offensive upside. Bertram is one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best. Had some trouble this year but Sens are great at identifying talent with small portions of viewings. A prospect with some risk but huge rewards, and the Sens groom better then anyone arguably.

26. Toronto Maple Leafs: F Andrew Cogliano
Leafs take a player who has plenty of devolopment ahead in Michigan, but has huge offensive upside. Highlight real gamebraker in the making going to a good system in Michigan. Leafs could have a steal

27. Boston Bruins: D Teemu Laakso
After moving Morrison they will use this pick on defense because of the emergence of Boyes and Bergeron, They have an excellent Finland scout who will see the possible next Denis Grebeshkov esque prospect. A little rough around the edges, and lack of size, but Laakso could be a boom prospect.

28. San Jose Sharks: D Luc Bourdon
San Jose needs a defenseman, could go after Korhonen but he could be gone. Bourdon is a complete defenseman who isn't a crease clearer or an offensive defenseman, but he is smart, poised, and solid on his feet. Things that attract the Sharks attention.

29. Tampa Bay Lightning: F Chris Durrand
A playmaking forward who works hard, but ultimate upside is a 2nd liner likely. Lightning need some safe forward prospects in the system bad. They will love his vision and skating. Can overlook size with Heinrich and Polushin in the system already.

30. Detriot Redwings: F Slava Trukhno
Wings get a steal, Trukhno is one of my personal favorites and just watching him makes you see that he could be something special dispite less then mind blowing numbers. Wings won't pass him up. Could fall because of defense and lack of playmaking but shows signs of improvement in both areas. Wings will love his offensive dangle and upside.

Dude, i just wanna say that was hard work. And you made accurate judgements no matter what people say. They made sense. I can definitely see the Leafs taking Cogliano. I can see Ottawa taking Bertram and i can definitely see Boston going for either Laakso or Lashoff. Detroit, i think, will grab Trukhno and that would be a steal. They'll have three magicians with Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Trukhno. Well done! That was a pleasent read! :handclap:

CH Wizard

MaDdY said:
Dude, i just wanna say that was hard work. And you made accurate judgements no matter what people say. They made sense. I can definitely see the Leafs taking Cogliano. I can see Ottawa taking Bertram and i can definitely see Boston going for either Laakso or Lashoff. Detroit, i think, will grab Trukhno and that would be a steal. They'll have three magicians with Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Trukhno. Well done! That was a pleasent read! :handclap:

Agreed! Not all the posters will agree on some rankings.As like Vlad the Impaler was saying often , ''If you don't like the rankings , do them yourself''.It's hard to get everyone happy at this point.The mini scouting reports he made were so impressive.:clap:

X-Sharkie , that was some awesome work. :clap:

Well , I want Setoguchi and I agree , the habs need a girtty forward but I'd take Stoa over Setoguchi.I think , we need a big forward in our prospect system and Stoa would definately be a great fit there.I'd be happy with Setoguchi though.

The prospects I'd consider at 18th : Bourdon (we really need a off d)!! , Mccardle, Stoa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

16. Nashville Predators: F Niklas Bergfors
Nashville loves competive kids and Bergfors is that. He brings another offensive force to the organization. Plays a game that will work in the pros.

Love the list and the work X. :handclap:

One thing I would like to point out, if Bergfors is still available when the Blues pick, I could see them picking him up. W/ Soderberg and Fredrickson picked in the 04 draft, I wouldn't be suprised if the Blues grabbed Bergfors over Skille.

Personally, I would love to see them take Stoa, but I think that Jarmo will continue with the European trend and grab Bergs.

X-SHARKIE

Thanks Maddy and The great one and everyone else.

You can't make everyone happy on Mock Drafts. But they're fun to do and a good read.

I just wish we had some word on how the NHL will break down the order of the draft.

I hope they use a system where they take the last 4 years or so into account and do a average or something, then do the lottery from there. Or have 3 tier lottery.

We'll see.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm basing this on last seasons standings, before the lottery/playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Sidney Crosby
This hardworking/young franchise should be rewarded with Sidney

<sighs> I'm just dreaming of the Pittsburgh's top two lines being centred by Malkin and Crosby <sighs> After a few lean years, it should be a lot of fun being a Penguins fan in the late 2000's. Woo Hoo! :jump:

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
I don't care how loyal Habs fans are, that doesn't mean you deserve the best player in the draft. Habs have never had a star player like that? Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, Roy....I think you guys had enough.

Typical case of someone that doesn't read carefully. I said that my generation never had a superstar skater... That's it, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, etc, I couldn't care less. My grandfather and my father saw them play. Not me. And honestly, they're considered as habs fans and in my life, I bought more tickets and jerseys with my own money than they did themselves. That's what I'm saying. I'm not only talking about ME... It's about a whole generation of very lucrative habs fans. I can't beleive your dumb enough to throw in the names of Lafleur and Richard. I'm 20 years old damn it. Ultimately, the most skilled and spectacular skater our generation had is Saku Koivu and he averaged 55 games per seasons over the past 9 seasons. That's rather depressing considering how jam-packed and loud the bell center is, and the ratings that the habs draw on TV. Honestly, it's a real shame... I'm looking at almost every teams located in a decent hockey markets, they all had something spectacular at some point over the past 10-12 years. Not us. Pittsburg with their 11.000 avg crowd can go in hell as far I'm concerned. Our team was the most boring thing after eating Kraft Diner while watching penis elargement ads on TV and we managed to draw a crowd of over 20 000. Now they got St. Louis, Richards and Lecavalier in Tampa, Ovechkin in Washington, Kovalchuk and Heatley in Atlanta. Disgusting. What's next, Crosby where they had 11 000 people into their arena because the team was boring? That's just plain stupid.

FacelessButcher

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
Philip J. Fry said:
Typical case of someone that doesn't read carefully. I said that my generation never had a superstar skater... That's it, Lafleur, Richard, Beliveau, Robinson, etc, I couldn't care less. My grandfather and my father saw them play. Not me. And honestly, they're considered as habs fans and in my life, I bought more tickets and jerseys with my own money than they did themselves. That's what I'm saying. I'm not only talking about ME... It's about a whole generation of very lucrative habs fans. I can't beleive your dumb enough to throw in the names of Lafleur and Richard. I'm 20 years old damn it. Ultimately, the most skilled and spectacular skater our generation had is Saku Koivu and he averaged 55 games per seasons over the past 9 seasons. That's rather depressing considering how jam-packed and loud the bell center is, and the ratings that the habs draw on TV. Honestly, it's a real shame... I'm looking at almost every teams located in a decent hockey markets, they all had something spectacular at some point over the past 10-12 years. Not us. Pittsburg with their 11.000 avg crowd can go in hell as far I'm concerned. Our team was the most boring thing after eating Kraft Diner while watching penis elargement ads on TV and we managed to draw a crowd of over 20 000. Now they got St. Louis, Richards and Lecavalier in Tampa, Ovechkin in Washington, Kovalchuk and Heatley in Atlanta. Disgusting. What's next, Crosby where they had 11 000 people into their arena because the team was boring? That's just plain stupid.
I think you need a full quartet.
:nopity: :nopity: :nopity: :nopity:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Matt MacInnis said:
Guillame Latendresse is certainly getting a lot of attention.

Frankly I think the Q has been very well represented in talks of this draft. Many agree that the Q crop this year is one of the strongest it has been in several years, particularly with the "big 3" forwards (Latendresse, Zapragan, and Bourret) all candidates to be top ten picks.
We are getting hype, but not near the hype we deserve for such a strong crop of players. Our draft elligible players are basicly leading the league in points.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Philip J. Fry said:
Once again, you still had Roy. Probably the best goaltender the history of the game ever seen. You had Chellios, Damphousse, Muller, Dionne, Desjardins, Schneider, Carbonneau, Richer, Recchi, Turgeon among others. I think you got to shut up and stop crying.

Montreal doesn't deserve stars if they can't draft them.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
We are getting hype, but not near the hype we deserve for such a strong crop of players. Our draft elligible players are basicly leading the league in points.

I don't see it.

This poster had 7 of the top 30 coming from the Q.

If that isn't enough what is? Is it more important to you for people talk a lot about players and then drop them down their rankings or to actually list them very highly.

7 in the top 30 is quite impressive. *shrug*

I'm just not entirely sure what you're after.

CH Wizard

Jason MacIsaac said:
Montreal doesn't deserve stars if they can't draft them.

OMG , that hurts. :cry: It's true though.

Seriously , I know what he means.We had some superstars but a while ago.Almost all the teams in the NHL have atleast 2-3 supertars (this was the past , we need to look at the present now).Saku and Theo , I think are the only superstars we've but we didn't have a superstar winger for a long time.Recchi , I think he's the best winger we had in the past 5 years.He scored 32 goals and nobody scored more goals after that (Zednik scored 30 goals before last season).We've such a good fan base , have you ever seen the atmosphere in the Bell Center ? Like he said , we've the best fans...I think , we deserve more superstars...hockey will even gonna be more popular here , we'll need to add some seats soon... Montreal is THE hockey town!! :D

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Matt MacInnis said:
I don't see it.

This poster had 7 of the top 30 coming from the Q.

If that isn't enough what is? Is it more important to you for people talk a lot about players and then drop them down their rankings or to actually list them very highly.

7 in the top 30 is quite impressive. *shrug*

I'm just not entirely sure what you're after.
Not this one poster in general but the whole hockey community. People talk about Brule, Johnson, Crosby, Staal, Parrent but they forget about the stars we have.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
MaDdY said:

Excellent work. Fellow Devil poster "Jason MacIsaac" has also indicated that the Devils could go with Brian Lee. University of North Dakota, I'm starting to think that there on the Devils Payroll. Good job again! :clap:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad