2005 Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

I'm basing this on last seasons standings, before the lottery/playoffs.

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: F Sidney Crosby
This hardworking/young franchise should be rewarded with Sidney

2. Chicago Blackhawks: F Gilbert Brule
Blackhawks like the WHL and they need skilled forward. Brule also packs a physical punch. They will target this kid.

3. Washington Capitals: D Jack Johnson
Capitals land a prospect with #1 defenseman potential.

4. Columbus Bluejackets: F Guillaume Latendresse
Powerforward in the making, big upside. Will take the kid with the biggest upside. Goes along with the recent trend of Picard and Pineault...Best one yet though. Could likely trade up, down to target a defenseman, Jack Johnson if they move up.

5. Phoenix Coyotes: F Beniot Pouliot
OHL prospect, Coyotes will love his size, hands, skating, and his huge upside.. A team known for taking highest upside.

6. New York Rangers: F Bobby Ryan
New York loves American players and the land one of the best in Ryan. Bobby brings a big powerforward into the system that can work in the trenches and create alot of offense.

7. Florida Panthers: F Alex Bourret
Keenan will fall in love witht he highly skilled, extremely agressive hardworking leader from Lewiston.

8. Carolina Hurricanes: F Ryan O'Marra
OHL prospect, O'Marra will bring them a possible #1 center with a physical edge and size. Plays a pro game. They like safe picks with leadership qualities and this is as safe as it gets.

9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: G Carey Price
Best player available. Ducks have no goaltending to speak of IMO behind Bryzgalov. This gives them a cornerstone #1 goaltender to build around, along with Smid, Getzlaf, Perry.

10. Atlanta Thrashers: F Anze Kopitar
Atlanta goes to Europe and grabs an offensive Gem to build around. They will love his size, and scoring ability. Remincent of Danny Heatley.

11. Los Angeles Kings: G Tuukka Rask
Kings need goaltending and they have a good europe scout and won't have trouble identifying Rask. Kings neglected to draft one last year with Schwarz on the table, and IMO they get a better one here.

12. Minnesota Wild: F Marek Zagrapan
Offensive wiz, excellent vision, and a defensive reliable player who has 1st line upside. Special player under the radar, Wild can't resist. Could look defense if Thelens year really scares them. But they need offense in the system beyond Koivu.

13. Buffalo Sabres: D Ryan Parent
Sabres love defenseman who can skate and handle there own end, and look past some stickhandling deficencies. Parent fits the bill perfectly and addaresses a need.

14. Edmonton Oilers: D Marc Staal
Edmonton takes a defenseman in Marc Staal. Staal brings excellent size to grow into, and offensive potential because of his ability to move the puck and is a terrific skater. Also impressive in his own end while not having a mean streak, but shows potential to grow one. Lowe doesn't do what convential wisdom says and takes Staal over the puzzling Kindl.

15. St. Louis Blues: F Jack Skille
Adds an elite player at pick 15 who could be a franchise RW with big scoring upside. Plus he can devolop for awhile.

16. Nashville Predators: F Niklas Bergfors
Nashville loves competive kids and Bergfors is that. He brings another offensive force to the organization. Plays a game that will work in the pros.

17. New York Islanders: D Jakub Kindl
Murray shoots for the Stars and lands a defenseman who had a tough year but has Huge upside. Needs a defenseman here.

18. Montreal Canadians: F Devin Setoguchi
A big strong well balanced kid, with a heck of a shot. Battles inconstancy but Habs can overlook that. I see a good skating Johnathan Cheechoo.

19. Calgary Flames: F Kendall McCardle
Might trade down to grab him but he's a smaller forward who plays a pro game, defensive play is coming along nicely, has a physical edge, plays hard every night. Plays best in big games. Has legit pro offensive upside.

20. Dallas Stars: F Ryan Stoa
Stars get a big kid with huge upside, Stoa has 1st line upside and could turn into a less physical Joe Thornton because of his playmaking and size. Project that has along road of NCAA ahead. Stars can be patient with.

21. Colorado Avalanche: D Matt Lashoff
Came back from injurey plagued season and came on strong. Good upside in this package of size, puck moving, and skating. Physical game is coming along as is balance. Avalanche need a good defenseman prospect.

22. New Jersey Devils: D Brian Lee
Devils are excellent at identifying talent in lower levels of play. US High School being this one. They love big upside, Lee has that in spades along with size, skating, and most of all, poise and smarts. They also value good devolopmental situations. None better then North Dakota wich they have shown trust in the past.

23. Vancouver Canucks: D Risto Korhonen
Big, Physical, offensive game progressing, International success which Vancouver likes, Korhonen plays a very N.A. game and the Canucks might trade down to get him. Has good upside.

24. Philadelphia Flyers: G Jean-Philipe Levasseur
Philly believes in best player available because of trade assets. Plus they don't have a sure thing #1 goaltender in the system. Levasseur was at one point the best Q goaltending prospect in quite awhile. Philly is good at grooming, and being patient with netminders and could find themselves with a premier prospect or excellent trade baite.

25. Ottawa Senators: F Daniel Bertram
Sens get a prospect with big offensive upside. Bertram is one of the best skaters in the draft if not the best. Had some trouble this year but Sens are great at identifying talent with small portions of viewings. A prospect with some risk but huge rewards, and the Sens groom better then anyone arguably.

26. Toronto Maple Leafs: F Andrew Cogliano
Leafs take a player who has plenty of devolopment ahead in Michigan, but has huge offensive upside. Highlight real gamebraker in the making going to a good system in Michigan. Leafs could have a steal

27. Boston Bruins: D Teemu Laakso
After moving Morrison they will use this pick on defense because of the emergence of Boyes and Bergeron, They have an excellent Finland scout who will see the possible next Denis Grebeshkov esque prospect. A little rough around the edges, and lack of size, but Laakso could be a boom prospect.

28. San Jose Sharks: D Luc Bourdon
San Jose needs a defenseman, could go after Korhonen but he could be gone. Bourdon is a complete defenseman who isn't a crease clearer or an offensive defenseman, but he is smart, poised, and solid on his feet. Things that attract the Sharks attention.

29. Tampa Bay Lightning: F Chris Durrand
A playmaking forward who works hard, but ultimate upside is a 2nd liner likely. Lightning need some safe forward prospects in the system bad. They will love his vision and skating. Can overlook size with Heinrich and Polushin in the system already.

30. Detriot Redwings: F Slava Trukhno
Wings get a steal, Trukhno is one of my personal favorites and just watching him makes you see that he could be something special dispite less then mind blowing numbers. Wings won't pass him up. Could fall because of defense and lack of playmaking but shows signs of improvement in both areas. Wings will love his offensive dangle and upside.

Spetzky

Jul 31, 2004
Edmonton
IMO, Columbus doesn't need Latendress, they are already stocked like crazy with Nash, Picard, and Zherdev. But otherwise great list

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I would love to grab Brian Lee somewhere in the draft if Staal isn't available. Brian Lee is also going to the Devils 2nd farm team next year in North Dakota ;)

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
Great list, I like Latendresse at 4 and Ryan at 6, but others may not. If I were Anaheim I might consider a Dman to go w/ Smid before taking another goalie with Jiggy still at the beginning of his prime and Ilzbry*** still very young and likely to take over from Jiggy in a year or two

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

Because Pittsburgh is never rewarded w/young talent. Lemieux, Jagr, Fleury, Malkin... :cry:

;)

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
X-SHARKIE said:
20. Dallas Stars: F Ryan Stoa
Stars get a big kid with huge upside, Stoa has 1st line upside and could turn into a less physical Joe Thornton because of his playmaking and size. Project that has along road of NCAA ahead. Stars can be patient with.

I'd love this pick if Bergfors is gone(he's the guy I'd really want). We've been taking the "safe" guy for far, far too long. Definately need to take a risk on a potential top line player.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:

That would piss me off. They don't deserve Crosby, period.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
X-SHARKIE said:
19. Calgary Flames: F Kendall McCardle
Might trade down to grab him but he's a smaller forward who plays a pro game, defensive play is coming along nicely, has a physical edge, plays hard every night. Plays best in big games. Has legit pro offensive upside.
This is who I am hoping the Flames are targeting as well. Everyime I've seen him play I have come away very impressed. I'd love for the Flames to draft him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
X-SHARKIE said:

17. New York Islanders: D Jakub Kindl
Murray shoots for the Stars and lands a defenseman who had a tough year but has Huge upside. Needs a defenseman here.

Isles picked 16th and were knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round.

who's Murray?you mean Milbury?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i like the list - especially the top ten. i also think the canes will take omarra if they stay in the 8-10 range. if staal is francis' heir, omarra sounds like brindamours. i do think they need to land a top defenseman (not in this draft - they wont get johnson), or a more natural scorer - but it think your assessment that the canes need a safe pick and like leadership is dead on. omarra is a good pick for them at 8. kopitar might be better in the end, and i wouldnt mind him being picked - but i agree the canes would take omarra. they really watch the ohl

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
X-SHARKIE said:
9. Anaheim Mighty Ducks: G Carey Price
Best player available. Ducks have no goaltending to speak of IMO behind Bryzgalov. This gives them a cornerstone #1 goaltender to build around, along with Smid, Getzlaf, Perry.

Ducks also need another top pairing D-man to go with Smid. So if Staal is available they will take him.

Rather than adding a cornerstone #1 I'd prefer if the Ducks continued to restock their system with goalies in the later rounds...maybe a 3rd and a 5th round goalie to go along with Bouthillette who they took in the 7th last year.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Jason MacIsaac said:
If they don't then nobody does. They deserved Ovechkin but they didn't get him either.

Listen, I'm 20 years old, and I've been a habs fan since I'm born. My generation is crazy about the habs. I buy lots of promotional items. I'm not rich (well I used not to be, now I could buy a 20 games package without trouble... but I'm sick and can't leave home) but I'm always taking my own cash to buy tickets since I have my own money. Lots of people of my generation are hardcore fans, and watch how many people there's on the habs forum. That's the tip of the ice-berg, because 50% of habs fans don't even understand english well enough to read the boards. There's been more than a whole generation of habs fans that supported its team even more than the previous generations and we've never been rewarded with a superstar. I know we had Patrick Roy but it's not like was putting on a show or made you jump out of your seat. We never had that kind of player in Montreal. Pittsburg had Lemieux and they still have him, Jagr and to some extent Kovalev. Kovalev played well for a 12-games stint in Montreal and everyone was crazy. The team sucked for years and we still had the best crowds in the nhl. Now tell me that Pittsburg really deserve Crosby. Seriously, it's laughable...

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Leafs will grab one of these.

Andrew Cogliano, Slava Trukhno, Denis Istomin... I KNOW IT! :D

I like Slava among these...

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
MrMastodonFarm said:
This is who I am hoping the Flames are targeting as well. Everyime I've seen him play I have come away very impressed. I'd love for the Flames to draft him.
Yeah, I like that pick as well, I definetaly could see them trading down a couple slots to pick up a later pick as well, since they don't have a 2nd, it seems like a strong possibility to me.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
trahans99 said:
If I were Anaheim I might consider a Dman to go w/ Smid before taking another goalie with Jiggy still at the beginning of his prime and Ilzbry*** still very young and likely to take over from Jiggy in a year or two

Exactly, Ducks will be looking for another top pairing d-man to go with Smid. If Staal is available they will take him. Obviously they would like to trade up and get Johnson if they can.

As far as Bryz taking over for Giguere in a year or two. I don't know if that's going to happen. Bryz is very inconsistent but then again so is Giguere. Still I'd rather the Ducks stock up on goalie prospects in later rounds and use the first rounder for Defense.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Good list. I tend to stay away from doing mock drafts as they are very tough to please everyone. I would be pleased if the Oilers picked Staal at 14 but I personally would take Bergfors if he is available.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Spetzky said:
IMO, Columbus doesn't need Latendress, they are already stocked like crazy with Nash, Picard, and Zherdev. But otherwise great list

Maybe Columbus trades up for Johnson and Washington takes Ryan fourth. Then they'd have Ovechkin and Semin on the left side and Fehr and Ryan on the right!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
X-SHARKIE said:

24. Philadelphia Flyers: G Jean-Philipe Levasseur
Philly believes in best player available because of trade assets. Plus they don't have a sure thing #1 goaltender in the system. Levasseur was at one point the best Q goaltending prospect in quite awhile. Philly is good at grooming, and being patient with netminders and could find themselves with a premier prospect or excellent trade baite.

Philly has SO many goalie prospects right now. You don't think that they might wait and see how that pans out, and pick a guy like Luc Bourdon, or maybe Chris Durrand instead?

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
X-SHARKIE said:
28. San Jose Sharks: D Luc Bourdon
San Jose needs a defenseman, could go after Korhonen but he could be gone. Bourdon is a complete defenseman who isn't a crease clearer or an offensive defenseman, but he is smart, poised, and solid on his feet. Things that attract the Sharks attention.

I have to disagree here, Luc Bourdon is a offensive D-man. Also, he has a good shot, skating and vision. He moves the puck pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->